Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-01-2007, 10:02 PM #1

Default Dangerous Dogs - What should be Done? (Serious Debate)

I've been reading lots and lots of cases lately of people getting mauled by dogs and sometimes even killed. Most recent being that one year old boy who was killed by an American Pitbull.

What I want to know is, should there owners be punished or should the actual dogs be punished (by being put down) or both?

Should there be laws introduced to ensure pet ownership is that of a good nature such as compulsory basic training/ obedience classes, chipping etc?

Is the Dangerous Dogs act that is being enforced a good move or another knee jerk unnecessary reaction from the government?

I think if you want to keep dogs, then you have to learn how to look after them and you should have sole responsibility for anything that may happen.

Your views?
Tanser_Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 10:20 PM #2

Yes there has been a lot in the newsover christmas about that. Get them destroyed is the only answer
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 10:21 PM #3

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

Favourites:

Kill them all

I have a phobia of them and I hate them
I get scared when I see one/hear one and
I even get scared of cuddly toys of dogs
Sophii3x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:07 PM #4

Not all dogs are the same though, my whippet wouldn't hurt a fly because she's been trained in the right way and they have a good nature anyway.

To answer your question Chris.I feel it should be down to the owner to be responsible for their dogs and if they cant be then they should be fined or even jailed should the dogs have been allowed off the lead or left to get out of the area they have been put in.If the dog itself is known to be vicious even when on a lead it should be put down imo as it's a danger to society.Certain breeds are know to be rather vicicous and they should automatically be trained in the right way to avoid being a menace.

Basically if you cannot look after a dog you shouldn't be allowed to have one, perhaps there should be a dog licence put in place where you're througly checked before you're allowed to keep one and if your dog does something out of line you'll have the licence taken away you'd not be able to have them ever again or perhaps after a few years in minor cases.
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:13 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

yeah thats a good idea Dan having a dog licence im in the same boat as soph because i nearly got attacked by my best friends dog but it had something wrong with its mind and it just flew at any1 it didnt know but since then ive been terrifed of dogs and now i hate them even harmless ones like whippets
BigSister is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:19 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSister
yeah thats a good idea Dan having a dog licence Im in the same boat as soph because i nearly got attacked by my best friends dog but it had something wrong with its mind and it just flew at any1 it didnt know but since then ive been terrifed of dogs and now i hate them even harmless ones like whippets
Aww

What did it for me was when my sister got bitten when she was a baby
The dog just jamp on her and bit her. It was the scariest day of my life and I was only 5

I just can't stand them. If i could I'd make them extict. Harsh but it's the way I feel about them
Old 13-01-2007, 11:25 PM #7

It's the minority that spoil the reputation of the majority, once you've had a bad expeirence it can be hard to gain the trust of any dog, especially when it happens to you so young.I wish my next door neighbours would get rid of their dog, it's always trying to attack people and when there a fire at my house whilst we were out my dog had to go next door and their dog got out and attacked mine
Old 13-01-2007, 11:32 PM #8

Favourites (more):
BB12: Louise
X Factor 2010: Belle Amie

Favourites (more):

There's plenty of nasty dogs round where I live and our dog has been attacked and bitten several times by aggressive dogs which isn't nice. I think that if people are unable to look after a dog and are out for a lot of the day then they shouldn't own dogs as one of the main reasons that dogs get aggressive is because they are hardly taken out for walks and get bored.
If a dog attacks someone then the owner should be fined or in a severe case, go to jail.
I think the dog that attacked should be taken by a rescue home and taken to a vet or something to see whether it is mentally stable or not / trainable. If it is trainable then it should be trained then re-homed to a household capable of looking after it properly. If the dog is mad or untrainable then it should be destroyed.
sol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:32 PM #9

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by BB fernzy
It's the minority that spoil the reputation of the majority, once you've had a bad expeirence it can be hard to gain the trust of any dog, especially when it happens to you so young.I wish my next door neighbours would get rid of their dog, it's always trying to attack people and when there a fire at my house whilst we were out my dog had to go next door and their dog got out and attacked mine
Aww
I saw a dog attacking a cat once.. It wasn't a nice site
Old 13-01-2007, 11:32 PM #10

Quote:
Not all dogs are the same though, my whippet wouldn't hurt a fly because she's been trained in the right way and they have a good nature anyway.

To answer your question Chris.I feel it should be down to the owner to be responsible for their dogs and if they cant be then they should be fined or even jailed should the dogs have been allowed off the lead or left to get out of the area they have been put in.If the dog itself is known to be vicious even when on a lead it should be put down imo as it's a danger to society.Certain breeds are know to be rather vicicous and they should automatically be trained in the right way to avoid being a menace.

Basically if you cannot look after a dog you shouldn't be allowed to have one, perhaps there should be a dog licence put in place where you're througly checked before you're allowed to keep one and if your dog does something out of line you'll have the licence taken away you'd not be able to have them ever again or perhaps after a few years in minor cases.
Thats the thing really, the owners bring then into this world and teach them there doings.

You see all these chavs walking round with there pit bulls and you know there only intention is for them to intimidate people. Ultimatley you'll get them lashing out and it tarnishes the majority of dog owners who bring them up to love and fuss!

Dog licencing would be a good step forward and maybe should be implemented to the breeders and maybe even one of the duties of the breeders should be getting them tagged and put on the system.

I don't like how, when the media reports on something, the government just throw a law at it and hope it all fades away. They should be thinking of these things beforehand and not have to be relying on the media for handouts.
Old 13-01-2007, 11:34 PM #11

I sometimes get scared about all this dangerous dogs business. I mean, how do you know that your not going to be walking along and get eaten alive.

I think that dogs should only be allowed out if they are properly trained.
If they are a risk to young children- they should be put down
Chrizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:37 PM #12

Quote:
Originally posted by sol
There's plenty of nasty dogs round where I live and our dog has been attacked and bitten several times by aggressive dogs which isn't nice. I think that if people are unable to look after a dog and are out for a lot of the day then they shouldn't own dogs as one of the main reasons that dogs get aggressive is because they are hardly taken out for walks and get bored.
If a dog attacks someone then the owner should be fined or in a severe case, go to jail.
I think the dog that attacked should be taken by a rescue home and taken to a vet or something to see whether it is mentally stable or not / trainable. If it is trainable then it should be trained then re-homed to a household capable of looking after it properly. If the dog is mad or untrainable then it should be destroyed.
Yeah, i was reading before that a common thing about why dogs attack is due to lack of involvement from the owner. So it becomes disgrunted and aggressive.

I think in extreame circumstances the dogs should be tested for mental problems but if they've already attacked then they should be put down as there both a danger to themselves and all members of the public.
Old 13-01-2007, 11:38 PM #13

My mam has a golden lab and it is brilliant with kids they are such beautiful dogs
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-01-2007, 11:42 PM #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Tanser_Man
Quote:

Thats the thing really, the owners bring then into this world and teach them there doings.

You see all these chavs walking round with there pit bulls and you know there only intention is for them to intimidate people. Ultimatley you'll get them lashing out and it tarnishes the majority of dog owners who bring them up to love and fuss!

Dog licencing would be a good step forward and maybe should be implemented to the breeders and maybe even one of the duties of the breeders should be getting them tagged and put on the system.

I don't like how, when the media reports on something, the government just throw a law at it and hope it all fades away. They should be thinking of these things beforehand and not have to be relying on the media for handouts.
That's the thing isnt it, these chavs with the pitbull's a staffordshire bull terries get the publicity for their stupidity and then those kind of dogs get all tarred with the same brush and you get people afraid of these type of dogs purely down to the stereotype made by moron owners who cannot train them properly.

I like the idea of having the dogs tagged that way whenever a dog get's out and attacks someone the owners who have been irresponsible enough to allow to roam free can be caught and prosecuted, it's all about putting into place a system to act as a deterant to these moron owners and it's always the way with a media outcry leading to a change in government law.Like you say these measures should be put in place already before the need for a media outcry.
Old 13-01-2007, 11:43 PM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrizzle
I sometimes get scared about all this dangerous dogs business. I mean, how do you know that your not going to be walking along and get eaten alive.

I was thinking that the other night, i was walking down a dark alley and i though... i'm in trouble if a rottweiler jumps out on me now!

If the dogs are brought up right, then surely they should be allowed to go out but as you say, if there a danger to society as a whole and not just to the youths, then they should be put down or retrained if possible.

Some of these dogs weigh more then some adults. Like my aunt's rotweiller was about 9 stone?! So he could have done damage to anybody whether young or old but he was as soft as mashed potatoe... he didn't hurt a fly.
Old 13-01-2007, 11:43 PM #16

It's the owners.

Put the wrong people in ownership of an animal, and it can be catastrophic.
InTheHood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 03:41 AM #17

Favourites:
BB12 USA: Britney

Favourites:

I don't think any dog can be trusted, they could be the nicest dogs in the world but one minute they could just turn on you and it only takes one minute to kill you.

If i had my way then i'd ban them completely but i'm not a fan of animals anyway so i would say that.

I think that the dogs who kill people should be put down, no question about it. I think that if the dog is illegal in the country it's in then the owner should be dealth with but if it's a legal dog then it's not the owners fault.
Legend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 01:52 PM #18

Quote:
Originally posted by Legend
I don't think any dog can be trusted, they could be the nicest dogs in the world but one minute they could just turn on you and it only takes one minute to kill you.

If i had my way then i'd ban them completely but i'm not a fan of animals anyway so i would say that.

I think that the dogs who kill people should be put down, no question about it. I think that if the dog is illegal in the country it's in then the owner should be dealth with but if it's a legal dog then it's not the owners fault.
See, now you obviously don't like animals so you have this image of all dogs being uncontrolable lunatics! It is such a small minority of dogs that attack and because of this more and more people are becoming scared of them.

Like InTheHood said, a dog in the wrong hands could be catastophic... like anything if its in the wrong hands. So i somewhat disagree with what you said about all dogs can't be trusted.
Old 14-01-2007, 01:59 PM #19

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Legend

See, now you obviously don't like animals so you have this image of all dogs being uncontrolable lunatics! It is such a small minority of dogs that attack and because of this more and more people are becoming scared of them.

Like InTheHood said, a dog in the wrong hands could be catastophic... like anything if its in the wrong hands. So i somewhat disagree with what you said about all dogs can't be trusted.
I've got a dog myself unfourtanetly and although he's the most retarded and daft dog ever who probably would never turn on anyone, there is still a chance he will. Dogs are unpredictable and therefore none can be trusted really.

A few years back, my mates dog turned on another of my mates and took a piece of his head off, well the skin and left a deep hole, he was the best owner to his dog, the dog had never hurt anyone, always the nicest dog but just randomly turned on my mate.

They can't be trusted. But then again, neither can humans really can they?!
Legend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 02:40 PM #20

The only bad thing i can personally remember from a mates dog is that when he used to set it on people, he wouldn't bite.... just humped you like crazy.

I haven't seen a malicious dog and i've never been biten, so my viewpoint is obviously going to be different. I lived at a mates house before and he had about 15 Chihuahua's and they were great, they never attackd anyone, just cats!

Sometimes if you show fear, dogs can pick up on that and try and show you who is boss. Also dogs have good memories so maybe he lashed out because this friend done something to him earlier in his life? It's highly possible. You never know why some dogs lash out but most of the time theres a valid reason. Although i'm not saying it wern't unprovoked and sickening, just giving some reasons as to why.
Old 14-01-2007, 02:41 PM #21

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrizzle

I was thinking that the other night, i was walking down a dark alley and i though... i'm in trouble if a rottweiler jumps out on me now!

If the dogs are brought up right, then surely they should be allowed to go out but as you say, if there a danger to society as a whole and not just to the youths, then they should be put down or retrained if possible.

Some of these dogs weigh more then some adults. Like my aunt's rotweiller was about 9 stone?! So he could have done damage to anybody whether young or old but he was as soft as mashed potatoe... he didn't hurt a fly.
Omg 9 stone. Thats like.. same weight as me!

I don't like the way people say all dogs should be put down. Maybe they should have ASBOs or something
Chrizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 02:44 PM #22

Whenever our dog used to nip at people when he was a little puppy, we would smack it on the nose, not hard, but he realised over a week or two that bitting was bad and whenever we then passed anything to him by hand he would gently take it off us and we would reward him. I used to play fight with him and he would never goto bite me, just playfully run upto me, jump on me and lick me to death...

That is a really simple process and takes no time to do, so whats stopping everyone else?! I think the fundamental reason is that people do not have enough time to love and look after an animal, so it comes bad and doesn't learn right from wrong. Like a human.
Old 14-01-2007, 05:03 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

When we went to Portsmouth last summer we were walking along the peir and this 'dog' that kind of looked like a skinny rotweiler randomly started barking at me and my mum and went for our dog!
It was completely out of the blue which made me think it had rabies or something because Portsmouth is by the sea and it could have had contact with foreign dogs. It was lucky it didn't draw blood.
When it happened it proved to me that boredom is one of the main reasons dogs get aggressive cos this dog was just tied to a rail on the peir and was just expected to wait there while its owner was in the pub! In my opinion the dog should be at home or in a place where it is being entertained as it is obviously too clever, and gets gored too easily.
sol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 07:33 PM #24
Legendary Senior Member

Legendary Senior Member

I can never understand these stupid people who put the livs of dogs ahead of a human life.
cc100 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 08:51 PM #25

I think that every dog has the potential to be dangerous at the end of they are pack animals by nature.

I have 2 dogs and trully believe that it is the way they are trained from being very young that determines the way they will be. Kind of like the nature/nuture debate really. My 2 are the softest dogs and I would trust them to take food from anyones mouth (YUK) they are so gentle.

If people interact with their dogs and show them love they will generally be very loving, loyal animals no matter what their size or breed. I used to have a rottweiler who was the softest tart known to man, she was called cuddles and lived up to her name in every way. Again that was down to love and cuddles and a very firm training which was necessary because she was a big dog.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dangerous, debate, dogs, serious