Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:53 PM #51
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...see, comparing to the Nazis with the Jews just doesn't sit right with me and seems to potentially add 'hate on hate' ..I think it was less 'acceptancy' in Germany and more fear of reprisal if spoken up against what was known to be happening at the time because obviously it would be a 'death penalty' to do so and that has no similarity to the situation with migrants at all..
That's not really the case though, there's a reason that Hitler rose to such power, and a lot of normal German people agreed with the general premise of his message. They had no idea how far it would go, or the horrors that would unfold, but the things that were being put out by the establishment and the German media in the years leading up to WW2 were popular with German citizens.

Extremism doesn't arise over night, it creeps in slowly and steadily. There is a very real comparison to be made. Can all of this be compared to the holocaust and the war? No, of course not. Can it be compared to the early mindsets and propaganda that set the stage for those events? Absolutely.

I'm not saying that it would go the same way even. There are far more safeguards in place and the world is far more connected and so such an extreme and organised outcome is unlikely.

But that doesn't mean it can't be compared. "Comparing" something doesn't mean that it's exactly the same. There are similarities in the mindset. Seeds that shouldn't be ignored or allowed to take root. The entire "never again" mantra is based not just on not letting extreme things happen, but on not becoming complacent... And I think we are in genuine danger of the latter.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 11-08-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
daily, mail, migrants, nazi, posting, propaganda, upvoted