Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:15 PM #26
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
In all seriousness though, I buy the 2 litre containers of milk for £1 for home because it seems like the best value for money, and then 1.5 litres of it ends up going out of date and getting poured down the drain... which is quite awful, I suppose. It only gets used for coffee. So really, I could (and probably should) pay the same £1 for a small 500ml bottle and not actually notice any difference.

We go through it like water at work but, as I said above, that's not out of my pocket so...
Don't your brats drink it, or your wife if she's nursing?

I think keeping the costs up as it's such a staple is important, we wouldn't want them compromising on standards on the farm which may have an impact on the animals and/or the product.
Undercutting one another for pennies is silly who really trawls to an out of the way supermarket to get a pint 2p cheaper?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:22 PM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Don't your brats drink it, or your wife if she's nursing?
They actually all have milk protein allergy so, nope . Lots of Almond milk and Coconut milk here. Both of which are absolutely foul in coffee...

They're also both quite a bit more expensive than cowboob milk, come to think of it...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:46 PM #28
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
They actually all have milk protein allergy so, nope . Lots of Almond milk and Coconut milk here. Both of which are absolutely foul in coffee...

They're also both quite a bit more expensive than cowboob milk, come to think of it...
Ah right is that casin or something? I've heard of people becoming lactose intolerant think that's a sugar though.
It is odd how so many people are having these reactions to milk, I'm wondering if it isn't the processing there's studies that say pasturisation isn't that great for milk, the organic milk we get is homogenised :/
I'd love to try raw milk.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:49 PM #29
User banned

User banned

so the quest for actual facts and figures goes on? sigh....how much are they paying to produce and being paid by the supermarkets and what are the subsidies amounting to?
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 PM #30

They should bring back the Milk Marketing Board and make them completely independent and profit free and give the the power to set prices based on farmers and processors costs and retailers profit margins so everybody gets a fair piece of the pie.

The big retailers have used really cheap milk (and bread) as a way to get people into their stores for years. There is a reason why milk and bread are always at the far end of the supermarket they cottoned on years ago that if you put the things that everybody needs to buy at the back of the store and make them as cheap as possible you sell more of everything else along the way.

It is unfair on the farmers to be used like that.
If you buy milk if you look for the red tractor logo then you can be assured the farmer received a fair price.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:20 PM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Ah right is that casin or something? I've heard of people becoming lactose intolerant think that's a sugar though.
It is odd how so many people are having these reactions to milk, I'm wondering if it isn't the processing there's studies that say pasturisation isn't that great for milk, the organic milk we get is homogenised :/
I'd love to try raw milk.
Im Lactose intolerant and its a bloody curse i hate it. Nearly all mammals on earth become lactose intolerant after childhood it is natures way. Your body no longer needs to feed on milk after childhood so it stops producing the lactase enzyme.
Humans tolerance of lactose in a lot of people comes from a gene mutation that became dominant in parts of Europe and North America. 70%+ of the world has some intolerance to Lactose so your the weird ones really.

I dont know much about milk protein allergy but i imagine its worse as its an allergy whereas if i have too much dairy i just shart myself inside out.

Last edited by billy123; 10-08-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:26 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Im Lactose intolerant and its a bloody curse i hate it. Nearly all mammals on earth become lactose intolerant after childhood it is natures way. Humans tolerance of lactose in a lot of people comes from a gene mutation that became dominant in parts of Europe and North America. 65% of the world has some intolerance to Lactose so your the weird ones really.
that number is a bit misleading, it's mostly asians that are lactose intolerant. obviously China and India are the biggest countries in the world, so most of the lacto-intolerants are from those countries in the world.

The rest of us are loving our dairy consumption!

Last edited by lostalex; 10-08-2015 at 11:27 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:54 PM #33

Quote:
Thats not misleading in any way whatsoever over 70% of people in the world have a reduced tolerance of dairy. where they come from is irrelevant.

It has to be done sometimes i ate a big bowl of ice cream a while ago and ended up sat on the toilet shouting "im not sorry it was worth it" for about 2 hours (it wasnt worth it).
If a Lax-intol says stay away you better be listening to him you go trying to plug that up and it could go off like a geyser.

lol, trust me i stayed away, i just found it a bit hipocritical. trust me it ruined the mood for sure. and it made me eye him up anyime he ordered anything with cheese or if he had ice cream, i was like well i guess i'm not getting any tonight!

for the record i only dated him for 2 months. it was a quick lesson. (and he was malaysian of chinese decent) that's how i n ow about the fact that it['s mostly asians that have that disorder. he tried to make it seem like he had no control over it based on his race, but of course he had control over not eating cheese or dairy, atleast as much control as i had over my smoking.

it was a shame, cause i am extremely attracted to asian guys, and he was my first asian guy, but now i know from now on, ask up front, are you lacto?? #datingasianmentips

Last edited by lostalex; 10-08-2015 at 11:59 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
lol, trust me i stayed away, i just found it a bit hipocritical. trust me it ruined the mood for sure. and it made me eye him up anyime he ordered anything with cheese or if he had ice cream, i was like well i guess i'm not getting any tonight!

for the record i only dated him for 2 months. it was a quick lesson. (and he was malaysian of chinese decent) that's how i n ow about the fact that it['s mostly asians that have that disorder. he tried to make it seem like he had no control over it based on his race, but of course he had control over not eating cheese or dairy, atleast as much control as i had over my smoking.

it was a shame, cause i am extremely attracted to asian guys, and he was my first asian guy, but now i know from now on, ask up front, are you lacto?? #datingasianmentips
Hahaha thats bloody funny dude you have opened up a whole problem area of lactose intolerance that had never crossed my mind

But getting back to the topic you genetic mutants that drink juices intended for baby cows look for the red tractor.

Last edited by billy123; 11-08-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:06 AM #35
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Aw poor Bob that sounds awful, you can make Ice cream from coconut milk and bananas you know
Milk and dairy have been cut from my diet during the last two months, and I have to say I feel a LOT better too, my auto immune response was inflammation different to yours thankfully
Old 11-08-2015, 01:03 PM #36
-

-

Quote:
Im Lactose intolerant and its a bloody curse i hate it. Nearly all mammals on earth become lactose intolerant after childhood it is natures way. Your body no longer needs to feed on milk after childhood so it stops producing the lactase enzyme.
Humans tolerance of lactose in a lot of people comes from a gene mutation that became dominant in parts of Europe and North America. 70%+ of the world has some intolerance to Lactose so your the weird ones really.

I dont know much about milk protein allergy but i imagine its worse as its an allergy whereas if i have too much dairy i just shart myself inside out.
None of them have a severe allergy it is mainly just a sore stomach followed by the inevitable toilet session. My 5 year old is not the world's best at being dairy free. Swapping her snacks at school for chocolate, for example! She's usually fine until about 1am and then we're up for hours... Haha.

But yeah the major difference is that they can't have any of the lactose free dairy products either as removing the lactose actually makes things worse. It also means that low-rate dairy (skimmed milk, etc.) is actually much worse than full-fat because less fat = more milk protein.

Some of the coconut substitutes are actually OK though, there's a dairy free cornetto alternative that even has the little chocolate end (soy chocolate) and it tastes almost identical to "real" ice cream. My daughter is also a big fan of chocolate milkshake, made with Nesquick powder and almond milk, and it's actually alright!
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:19 PM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
walking past the cold shelves like that..

they must be Friesian
No bull LT, it's their own fault though - they should heifer put a jersey on or continue to freeze their bullocks off
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 PM #38

Quote:
Thats not misleading in any way whatsoever over 70% of people in the world have a reduced tolerance of dairy. where they come from is irrelevant.

It has to be done sometimes i ate a big bowl of ice cream a while ago and ended up sat on the toilet shouting "im not sorry it was worth it" for about 2 hours (it wasnt worth it).
If a Lax-intol says stay away you better be listening to him you go trying to plug that up and it could go off like a geyser.

Sorry Bob - but it is humorous.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:22 PM #39
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
No bull LT, it's their own fault though - they should heifer put a jersey on or continue to freeze their bullocks off
I knew you would come up with an udder one
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:33 PM #40

Morrisons will start soon a
a Milk brand 10p more
with money going back to the Farmers

Last edited by arista; 11-08-2015 at 02:42 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:24 PM #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I knew you would come up with an udder one
And I knew you'd milk this subject for all it's worth (Which according to this thread ain't much)
Old 11-08-2015, 05:24 PM #42
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

It's sad that a 500ml bottle of fizzy drinks is like £1.30 yet a 4 pint milk is only £1 or less they definitely should raise milk prices.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:33 PM #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley95 View Post
It's sad that a 500ml bottle of fizzy drinks is like £1.30 yet a 4 pint milk is only £1 or less they definitely should raise milk prices.
Morrisons will give
you a choice.

10p more for
Milk from a New Farmers Brand

I think other Supermarkets
will soon follow

Last edited by arista; 11-08-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM #44
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Morrisons will give
you a choice.

10p more for
Milk from a New Farmers Brand

I think other Supermarkets
will soon follow
Good ol' Morrisons. I'll definitely buy it, not that I drink that much milk... but I think they'll be surprised how many people are willing to support the dairy farmers.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:32 PM #45
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Good ol' Morrisons. I'll definitely buy it, not that I drink that much milk... but I think they'll be surprised how many people are willing to support the dairy farmers.
yup

I like Morrisons

they are heading in the right direction
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:17 PM #46

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Milk causes mucus.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:28 PM #47
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
None of them have a severe allergy it is mainly just a sore stomach followed by the inevitable toilet session. My 5 year old is not the world's best at being dairy free. Swapping her snacks at school for chocolate, for example! She's usually fine until about 1am and then we're up for hours... Haha.

But yeah the major difference is that they can't have any of the lactose free dairy products either as removing the lactose actually makes things worse. It also means that low-rate dairy (skimmed milk, etc.) is actually much worse than full-fat because less fat = more milk protein.

Some of the coconut substitutes are actually OK though, there's a dairy free cornetto alternative that even has the little chocolate end (soy chocolate) and it tastes almost identical to "real" ice cream. My daughter is also a big fan of chocolate milkshake, made with Nesquick powder and almond milk, and it's actually alright!
You can get an ice cream maker from argos now for £10, she could make some chocolate ice cream!
Old 14-08-2015, 01:14 PM #48
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'Aldi and Morrisons have announced they will increase the price they pay suppliers for milk after bowing to growing pressure from dairy farmers about the crisis in the industry.

Aldi, the discount supermarket, said it would pay a minimum of 28p per litre for liquid milk from Monday, following talks with farmers and unions, while Morrisons will pay 26p per litre

The increase was announced after Asda said on Thursday it would also pay 28p per litre. This means that Aldi, Morrisons and Asda have committed to pay more than the current average price paid to farmers of 23.66p per litre.'

They could've just lowered their profit margin... :/

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...da-raise-price
Old 16-08-2015, 09:23 PM #49

Asda To Pay More For Milk To Help Farmers
http://news.sky.com/story/1535461/as...o-help-farmers

well done AsdaWalmart
Old 16-08-2015, 09:40 PM #50
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

It was some farmers I know quite well who helped kick start a lot of the protests doing the milk trolley challenge near me where they cleared the local Morrisons shelves of milk. I support them and am glad that it seems to be having an impact.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cows, crisis, dragged, milk, store