Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:50 AM #26
You know my methods

You know my methods

I heard this morning we give more aid to Syria than all other EU countries put together.

But I would have thought refugees would be mainly women and children and not all young men the same age?

Like when a boat sinks
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:52 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I heard this morning we give more aid to Syria than all other EU countries put together.

But I would have thought refugees would be mainly women and children and not all young men the same age?

Like when a boat sinks
Who did they give it to in Syria? surely the people that need it are the ones running for their lives and i dont think money is what they are seeking just now.

Last edited by billy123; 05-09-2015 at 09:53 AM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:03 AM #28
filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

filthy mudblood

Favourites (more):
BB16: Amy & Sally
X Factor 2014: Only The Young

I feel sorry for them.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:13 AM #29
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
We have a moral obligation to accept as many refugees as we possibly can, especially since the iraq war and bombings in Syria are widely considered to be the root cause for these people to be displaced in the first place.

It's a humanitarian crisis, we shouldn't be looking at whether or not it economically benefits us.
I agree and the UK particularly should be looking at the mess we helped create and leave in place in Libya too.

These people are 'not' in the main economic or personal migrants, they are refugees fleeing harm and likely death in the troubled and war torn Nations.

Throwing money at the problem is not helping clearly that much, odd on this issue,this govt says throwing money is a good thing but to save things like the NHS they should not be throwing money at that.

We have the poorest PM in Europe in my view, a man who says much and does near nothing, he has to be dragged kicking and screaming or shamed into doing the right and/or decent thing.
Slowly he is being made to on this issue, never before from all I have seen or read,have I come to the conclusion that the UK has had such bad and weak leadership in the World from its Prime Minister and govt and we have now.
Thankfully some Conservative MPs have had enough too of his procrastination and saying more needs to be done.

Again JoshBB, I agree with your whole post,that is exactly what we should be doing.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 AM #30
Banned

Banned

We have a responsibility to help as much as we can, we've destabilised the Middle East and allowed the rise of IS. We have inadvertently played a role in causing the immigration crisis.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:41 AM #31
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

Like when a boat sinks
The constant flow of pictures of young men and the distinct absence of women and children seems to be lost on some. While I do acknowledge that there are some desperate families trying to escape, the vast majority are quite obviously young fit men trying to get into Europe. I'm surprised more press space isn't given over to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Who did they give it to in Syria? surely the people that need it are the ones running for their lives and i dont think money is what they are seeking just now.
The money is given as humanitarian aid. It isn't given to anyone in Syria. I'm sure the people who administer this are not stupid.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 PM #32

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Tia Kofi
Strictly 2020: Ranvir Singh

I feel I have quite a middle ground view on this issue.
On the one hand I say, these people NEED to get out of their country and to safety, they are all living awful lives, and we can change that. Imagine we closed our doors to Jewish people during WW2, it would've been one of the worst things Britain has done in history, could we do that now
On the other hand, if immigrants keep flowing in how to we keep track of who's in our country, as said before, we've not seen many families traveling across, the majority of the people are young men. The UK also has quite a high unemployment rate at the minute, and if immigrants need jobs to fund for themselves that number will rise. The UK is quite a small country, what about Scandinavia, large countries and a lot of wealth.
I'm not a big fan of David Cameron but I feel he can't win here, don't let Immigrants in he'll get a lot of sht for being heartless, let them in he'll get a lot of sht for the high unemployment rate and dropping economy.
I just dunno
Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 PM #33
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
The constant flow of pictures of young men and the distinct absence of women and children seems to be lost on some. While I do acknowledge that there are some desperate families trying to escape, the vast majority are quite obviously young fit men trying to get into Europe. I'm surprised more press space isn't given over to this.

The money is given as humanitarian aid. It isn't given to anyone in Syria. I'm sure the people who administer this are not stupid.
It suits the agenda to present the immigrants as opportunistic wasters rather than desperate refugees. There's probably a crapton of footage of families but why would the newspapers, TV channels and politicians focus on that when they can get a stronger reaction from the public when they present the immigrants as wannabe benefit scroungers.

How the news is presented is moulded and shaped to the audience's sensibilities. You won't get many positive stories about Muslims despite the fact there are plenty of good ones out there because Islam=terrorists. You're not going to get many sympathetic stories about struggling families because poor people=scroungers. It goes on and on.

Thankfully (although due to tragic reasons) the way the immigrant crisis is being reported is changing to the more realistic and sympathetic light it should have been reported in.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:20 PM #34
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis111 View Post
On the one hand I say, these people NEED to get out of their country and to safety, they are all living awful lives, and we can change that. Imagine we closed our doors to Jewish people during WW2, it would've been one of the worst things Britain has done in history, could we do that now
On the other hand, if immigrants keep flowing in how to we keep track of who's in our country, as said before, we've not seen many families traveling across, the majority of the people are young men. The UK also has quite a high unemployment rate at the minute, and if immigrants need jobs to fund for themselves that number will rise. The UK is quite a small country, what about Scandinavia, large countries and a lot of wealth.
I'm not a big fan of David Cameron but I feel he can't win here, don't let Immigrants in he'll get a lot of sht for being heartless, let them in he'll get a lot of sht for the high unemployment rate and dropping economy.
I just dunno
We aren't taking all the refugees in one go, nobody is suggesting that. We couldn't possibly house the millions of refugees that need homes, but we can do our part. It's a shame that bigger countries like America aren't taking that many on, but we can lead the way by taking numbers in the 10s of thousands.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:23 PM #35
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis111 View Post
I just dunno
People have quite a fluffy view of how this country reacted to the Jewish crisis in WW2. There was very vocal opposition to Jews coming here. After the war many were kept in holding camps for months... years. It wasn't all, come on in and have a cup of tea, mate. In 1938 over 300,000 German Jews had applied for only 27,000 refugee places. My family were lucky to be accepted in to the UK, but many weren't.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:28 PM #36
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
We aren't taking all the refugees in one go, nobody is suggesting that. We couldn't possibly house the millions of refugees that need homes, but we can do our part. It's a shame that bigger countries like America aren't taking that many on, but we can lead the way by taking numbers in the 10s of thousands.
We are taking our share, alongside the fact that this country took in 300,000 foreign nationals last year from Europe. We will only be taking people from UN refugee camps which is totally the right thing and may hopefully deter some from making the journey illegally. We've also given a billion pounds so far toward humanitarian aid in Syria and the surrounding area, much more than any other European country and more, I have heard, than the rest of Europe combined. I'm quite proud of what we're doing. Could we do more? Possibly... we can always do more. Should we do more? I think by doing more we are enabling other countries - the USA, Canada, Australia - not to step up to the plate.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:30 PM #37
iconic

Favourites (more):
iconic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
We are taking our share, alongside the fact that this country took in 300,000 foreign nationals last year from Europe. We will only be taking people from UN refugee camps which is totally the right thing and may hopefully deter some from making the journey illegally. We've also given a billion pounds so far toward humanitarian aid in Syria and the surrounding area, much more than any other European country and more, I have heard, than the rest of Europe combined. I'm quite proud of what we're doing. Could we do more? Possibly... we can always do more. Should we do more? I think by doing more we are enabling other countries - the USA, Canada, Australia - not to step up to the plate.
I agree that those countries need to do more, but by deciding not to help anymore and saying "its your responsibility not mine!", we're letting people die that don't need to.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 PM #38
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
I agree that those countries need to do more, but by deciding not to help anymore and saying "its your responsibility not mine!", we're letting people die that don't need to.
Who's saying "it's your responsibility not mine"? Obviously from the contributions we've made and the agreement to take refugees from UN camps we have recognised our responsibility. The Royal Navy has at least three ships in the Med and has rescued thousands of people. But we are a tiny country and cannot take everyone. The whole world needs to work together on this instead of squabbling while people die.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:47 PM #39

Quote:
People have quite a fluffy view of how this country reacted to the Jewish crisis in WW2. There was very vocal opposition to Jews coming here. After the war many were kept in holding camps for months... years. It wasn't all, come on in and have a cup of tea, mate. In 1938 over 300,000 German Jews had applied for only 27,000 refugee places. My family were lucky to be accepted in to the UK, but many weren't.

I think it would do most people good to read up on their history and just how treacherously the British Government treated the Jews.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:59 PM #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It suits the agenda to present the immigrants as opportunistic wasters rather than desperate refugees. There's probably a crapton of footage of families but why would the newspapers, TV channels and politicians focus on that when they can get a stronger reaction from the public when they present the immigrants as wannabe benefit scroungers.

How the news is presented is moulded and shaped to the audience's sensibilities. You won't get many positive stories about Muslims despite the fact there are plenty of good ones out there because Islam=terrorists. You're not going to get many sympathetic stories about struggling families because poor people=scroungers. It goes on and on.

Thankfully (although due to tragic reasons) the way the immigrant crisis is being reported is changing to the more realistic and sympathetic light it should have been reported in.
It must be some colossal coincidence then that the media are 'cherry-picking' footage of immigrants which is mainly young, fit, well clad, and well shod men, to the exclusion of women and children, because MY own direct experience of our Northern towns and cities is that the vast majority of immigrants ARE INDEED young, fit, well clad, and well shod men.

In the past few weeks I have watched Alan Titmarsh renovate the garden of a Muslim mother who is a veritable saint due to the charity work she carries out and she was well-loved by her entire community (and by me) and watched a beautiful and charming young Muslim woman take part in the Great British Bake-Off, and she was enchanting.

And this is on top of several other documentary programs which gave platforms to 'moderate' Muslims.

I do not recognise any bias towards Muslims in our Media, but no one is stupid enough to think that ALL Muslims are terrorists even if there was.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM #41
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The problem is no one seems capable of setting up a system that will process refugees and weed out those taking advantage of those who are fleeing war and persecution. The media lump them all under the word migrant which gives the impression that they left their homes and lives for better ones elsewhere in Europe. I think whilst we should be doing more for refugees we need to be careful we are not letting people who mean to do us harm in at the same time.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:18 PM #42

Dezzy
Our PM is taking Syrian Familys direct from the UN Base outside
of Syria.

They are LEGAL.

The others use Criminal Evil Murdering /Profit First Smugglers

So Our PM is doing the right thing.

We need to Get out of Europe
as they are going to sink under these Millions of
Illegal people

Last edited by arista; 05-09-2015 at 04:19 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 PM #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The problem is no one seems capable of setting up a system that will process refugees and weed out those taking advantage of those who are fleeing war and persecution. The media lump them all under the word migrant which gives the impression that they left their homes and lives for better ones elsewhere in Europe. I think whilst we should be doing more for refugees we need to be careful we are not letting people who mean to do us harm in at the same time.
Our PM is taking only them
as they can not return to Syria.
So he will take Legal Familys from the Jordan UN Base
near Syria.

Our PM has sorted Our Side

Germany can Get Fecked
Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 PM #44
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You'd think the UN would be the perfect organisation to do this. Really, I wonder what their function actually is.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 PM #45
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Our PM is taking only them
as they can not return to Syria.
So he will take Legal Familys from the Jordan UN Base
near Syria.

Our PM has sorted Our Side

Germany can Get Fecked

I agree with him doing that tbh, I think Germany's open borders policy is ridiculous
Old 05-09-2015, 04:23 PM #46
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
It must be some colossal coincidence then that the media are 'cherry-picking' footage of immigrants which is mainly young, fit, well clad, and well shod men, to the exclusion of women and children, because MY own direct experience of our Northern towns and cities is that the vast majority of immigrants ARE INDEED young, fit, well clad, and well shod men.

In the past few weeks I have watched Alan Titmarsh renovate the garden of a Muslim mother who is a veritable saint due to the charity work she carries out and she was well-loved by her entire community (and by me) and watched a beautiful and charming young Muslim woman take part in the Great British Bake-Off, and she was enchanting.

And this is on top of several other documentary programs which gave platforms to 'moderate' Muslims.

I do not recognise any bias towards Muslims in our Media, but no one is stupid enough to think that ALL Muslims are terrorists even if there was.
It doesn't matter what they look like, they're refugees from a bullet ridden hell that we've played a large part in creating. Again, I explained all this in my first post. Why stir up sympathy for these people when there's more to gain by stirring up hate instead? Our individual experiences don't matter, least of all yours because these aren't immigrants, they're refugees. They haven't ran from their countries because they fancy our economy, they've ran for their lives.

As for your point about muslims, for every positive representation you offer I can find hundreds more examples of demonisation. Alan Titchmarsh and the GBBO doesn't offset that. There's a lot of bias in the media against muslims, poor people, refugees etc. Just look at the tabloids.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:24 PM #47
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You'd think the UN would be the perfect organisation to do this. Really, I wonder what their function actually is.
I'm wondering myself
Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 PM #48

"It doesn't matter what they look like, they're refugees from a bullet ridden hell that we've played a large part in creating."

Bang On Right Dezzy

Thats why Our PM is taking Refugees direct
from UN Bases near the outside of Syria
a nation they can not return to.

Not from the Murdering /Evil /Profit First Smugglers
who use dodgy dingys

Last edited by arista; 05-09-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 PM #49
You know my methods

You know my methods

Tells you a lot about a nation when the bulk of the "poor refugees" are fit young men

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 PM #50

Quote:
Tells you a lot about a nation when the bulk of the "poor refugees" are fit young men

Yes but from the UN Base
near Syria Our PM is taking Familys
not loads of men.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crisis, current, immigration crisis, refugee or migrant, thoughts, views