Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 16-09-2015, 03:06 PM #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Some days ago I signed the 'accept more asylum seekers' on a parliamentary petition. At the time, this particular petition had 419, 678 signatures. The 'stop more asylum seekers' petition, in contrast, had attracted 41, 897 signatures, so the 'stop' petition was out-numbered by the 'allow' petition by a ratio of almost 10:1.

All petitions on the UK Government and Parliament website can only be voted on once, and only by British citizens and UK residents.

It seems that the majority of the British public strongly disagree with some of the comments written on here

Toy-soldier, Kizzy and JoshBB's, I've read all your posts on this thread and commend all three of you for sticking it out in such a small minority group. Its comforting to understand that most of us Brits think like you do
And will you be prepared to put up these additional asylum seekers on your yacht, in your English home, or in your home abroad?
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 04:45 PM #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
And will you be prepared to put up these additional asylum seekers on your yacht, in your English home, or in your home abroad?
Absolutely

But just in case you think I'm some posh tart, I should mention that we live on our boat and don't have a house in the UK. Whilst we might have sails, she's an old jalopy of a girl who could do with a facelift. Our French place is a small house that was left to me by my grandmother but its on top of a mountain. They would be welcome to use it, though they would only have a log fire for warmth and a well for water.
Old 16-09-2015, 04:56 PM #203

Quote:
Absolutely

But just in case you think I'm some posh tart, I should mention that we live on our boat and don't have a house in the UK. Whilst we might have sails, she's an old jalopy of a girl who could do with a facelift. Our French place is a small house that was left to me by my grandmother but its on top of a mountain. They would be welcome to use it, though they would only have a log fire for warmth and a well for water.
I'll use it - They can live in my house.

Oh - and you have my sincere respect Red because I have posed this question to several pro-immigrant Tibbies and you are the very first to actually answer.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 16-09-2015 at 04:58 PM.
Old 16-09-2015, 05:01 PM #204

Quote:
I'll use it - They can live in my house.

Oh - and you have my sincere respect Red because I have posed this question to several pro-immigrant Tibbies and you are the very first to actually answer.
Thanks!

Looks like a decent swap but I have to ask, are you a high wall climber, ice climber or skier? because other than that all you can do up there in the mountains is yodel
Old 16-09-2015, 05:20 PM #205

Quote:
Thanks!

Looks like a decent swap but I have to ask, are you a high wall climber, ice climber or skier? because other than that all you can do up there in the mountains is yodel
I'm none now Red, but I think I could handle the solitude and perhaps finally finish my book.
Old 16-09-2015, 05:42 PM #206
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Some days ago I signed the 'accept more asylum seekers' on a parliamentary petition. At the time, this particular petition had 419, 678 signatures. The 'stop more asylum seekers' petition, in contrast, had attracted 41, 897 signatures, so the 'stop' petition was out-numbered by the 'allow' petition by a ratio of almost 10:1.

All petitions on the UK Government and Parliament website can only be voted on once, and only by British citizens and UK residents.

It seems that the majority of the British public strongly disagree with some of the comments written on here

Toy-soldier, Kizzy and JoshBB's, I've read all your posts on this thread and commend all three of you for sticking it out in such a small minority group. Its comforting to understand that most of us Brits think like you do
Thank you DR, it just goes to show that is the true British spirit to be compassionate and empathic to those in desperation and needing our help.
Old 16-09-2015, 06:09 PM #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Thank you DR, it just goes to show that is the true British spirit to be compassionate and empathic to those in desperation and needing our help.
Yeah, but those qualities are not exclusive to people of Left Wing political persuasion - far from it.
Old 16-09-2015, 06:11 PM #208
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Yeah, but those qualities are not exclusive to people of Left Wing political persuasion - far from it.
Who said they were?.....
Old 16-09-2015, 06:27 PM #209
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I don't have a problem with asylum seekers coming here legitimately, maybe through UN and other properly organised camps. What I do have a problem with is this: the mass tide of refugees crossing Europe is an ideal infiltration opportunity by IS. If I was IS, I'd be sending people in that tide of humans. How many do we think might actually be IS infiltrators? One in ten thousand? One in a thousand? One in a hundred? One in ten? No one knows. But they're in there. Just throwing open the borders would be a mistake. Bring them in... but bring them in properly checked.

Last edited by Livia; 16-09-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:42 PM #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I don't have a problem with asylum seekers coming here legitimately, maybe through UN and other properly organised camps. What I do have a problem with is this: the mass tide of refugees crossing Europe is an ideal infiltration opportunity by IS. If I was IS, I'd be sending people in that tide of humans. How many do we think might actually be IS infiltrators? One in ten thousand? One in a thousand? One in a hundred? One in ten? No one knows. But they're in there. Just throwing open the borders would be a mistake. Bring them in... but bring them in properly checked.
Ys - and IS have BOASTED of smuggling their trained killers into all Western Countries including the UK by just this very method. And that was two years ago - so you are right to ask "How many."

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crisis, current, immigration crisis, refugee or migrant, thoughts, views