Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:14 PM #351
Namaste

Namaste

I Know What You Did Last Summer:
5/10

Yeah, this doesn't really work for me. For a slasher, the kills are few and far between and the mystery (the most important element in a movie that takes this whodunit format) just doesn't amount to a satisfying resolution at all.

It's funny because Friday the 13th had the killer be someone we'd never seen before (something I HATE in mysteries), but Pamela Voorhees was such a brilliant character that I can't hate the reveal too much. Here, we technically had met the killer earlier (as a body in the road), but the reveal feels even less satisfying. On top of that, the final chase is just boring and not really the thrilling experience (for me anyway) that I'm sure they intended.

I loved Anne Heche's character Missy so I kind of wish she was the killer. Or if not her, Freddie Prinze Jr. When it leads you to thinking it's him near the end, only to do a swerve and end up being this guy who we don't really know at all (other than from the accident scene, but his face was still essentially a mystery to us) ... yeah, that frustrated me.

And then of course they had to include the obligatory final scare.

It gets a 5 and not lower because I didn't absolutely hate it with a raging passion, but I didn't exactly like it either. My main feeling when it was over was ... meh.

Rankings:
1. Scream 2 (9/10)
2. Scream (8/10)
3. Friday the 13th (7/10)
4. House of Wax (6.5/10)
5. I Know What You Did Last Summer (5/10)

Last edited by Lostie!; 06-10-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:28 PM #352

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Get your last minute reviews in!
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 PM #353
-

-

Daniel her name is Debbie not Deborah. What shade is this?

But yeah, she's brilliant. I thought I was the only one who liked her character.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:21 PM #354
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

I'm actually excited for Urban Legend.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 PM #355
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtopher View Post
I'm actually excited for Urban Legend.
It's one of my favourites.

Not very well-received generally but I think it's seriously underrated.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 PM #356
-

-

I saw it like 2 months ago, so I'll just review it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 PM #357
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
It's one of my favourites.

Not very well-received generally but I think it's seriously underrated.
I think the same way, very underrated. But it's more interesting than other slashers out there.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:38 PM #358
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

I know What You Did Last Summer

Rating - 5/10

I think this film is not a good slasher,wasn't scary, i love the characters tho especially the people from Scooby Doo I don't have much to say about this film but it seems like a Scream copy cat... which is why Scary Movie did this storyline with Scream..

Rankings
1.Scream (1996) - 9/10
2.Scream 2 - 9/10
3.Friday The 13th(1980) - 8/10
4.I know what you did last summer - 5/10
5.House of Wax - 3/10

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 PM #359
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
i love the characters tho especially the people from Scooby Doo

Last edited by Lostie!; 06-10-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:03 PM #360

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Tuesday 6th October - Urban Legend (1998)

A college student suspects a series of bizarre deaths are connected to certain urban legends. Starring Jared Leto and Alicia Witt.

Reviewers I need your reviews for 8PM!

Reviewers: Cal, Daniel_, armand,kay, Daniel-X, Tom, Lostie!, Xtopher, LukeB, Dezzy, Dollface, Moosething, Will1999, BB6, Fat.Rat, Amy Jade

Last edited by Cal.; 06-10-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 AM #361
Simba Wiv Ya Friggin ‘Air

Location: You Chanelle from Wikkfield, wherever the **** you’re from

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: A'Whora

Favourites (more):

Night Six - Urban Legend

I hadn't seen nor heard much about Urban Legend till tonight so I didn't really know what to expect from it. All I knew was that queen Rebecca Gayheart was in it.

On the opening of the film, I loved it! It got straight into the swing of things and didn't waste no time. I think horror movies are definitely one genre of film that needs to try and keep their audiences engaged from the start. I think their was great suspense in the opening throughout and I loved how the director lead the viewer into a false sense of security after you believe Michelle could be safe after escaping from the gas station only to be brutally murdered in her car.

Another clever point about the film was that clearly the producers never forgot to link it back to its theme of urban legends. In the film there were constant mentions to urban legends casually and subtly placed in. Such as Sasha's talk show which had numerous mentions to urban legends (e.g. the birth control pills being swapped with aspirin) and later on the extra in the film mentioning to Sasha the legend of the song 'Rollercoaster of love' being a real scream played in the song. It never forgot its roots and what the film was all about and I really liked this aspect of the movie.

Regards to the characters in the movie I mostly liked all of them and found most easy to make a connection with as a viewer. I liked Paul's slow progression from being a bit of an antagonist in the movie to becoming one of the main heroes and I think Jared Leto portrayed both sides of Paul's character well. I also liked how Parker and Paul switched roles also from being good guy to bad guy in the movie. Brenda was my favourite character throughout the film though. I probably was slightly biased before I watched as I already love Rebecca Gayheart from her role in 'Jawbreaker' (starring Rose McGowan). I loved her bubbly nature and naivety and found her to be the most likeable character.

The death scenes were good as they were all different. They didn't feel repetitive. However, I do feel that most of the death scenes (excluding Michelle and Sasha's) didn't have much build up or suspense to them. You would just see the killer approach from nowhere and kill them almost immediately with no struggle from the other character. That's only a minor issues but I have on numerous occasions in this thread expressed my love for a chase scene so I would have liked to have seen more in the film. The death scenes however were creepy and the killer was creepy herself so I do have to congratulate them on this.

Moving onto the reveal, I honestly had no idea who the killer was. For a while I thought the principal then changed my mind to Paul but I never ever would've even considered Brenda! I think it was really clever how the directors linked Natalie's backstory of the crash and Brenda's boyfriend being the one who they flashed and subsequently caused his death. Her final scene was tense and dramatic and much like scream I loved the element of breaking the fourth wall in the car were Paul turned to Natalie and asked what was the final twist going to be before Brenda appeared dramatically from the back seat only to (seemingly) plunge to her death. Again I liked the ending with Brenda sat in college (great setting by the way the college looked SO creepy) about to tell her story about her killing spree.

Overall - 9/10

A really underrated film which I really enjoyed and loved the theme and idea behind it.

Score:

Scream - 10/10
Scream 2 - 9/10
Urban Legend - 9/10
House Of Wax - 8/10
I Know What You Did Last Summer - 6/10
Friday the 13th - 2/10
Daniel-X is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:13 AM #362
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

Urban Legend

One of my first horror films in early memory. It had a big effect on me back then and today I watched it with the biggest smile. I love the hell out of this movie. Some things I love about it, it's creative. It's not your basic cat and mouse slasher because that **** gets boring really fast. The story itself is actually interesting, you're playing a guessing game throughout the whole thing. Also a fantastic killer. Gayheart really killed that part, she was frightening.

The casting of horror icons Brad Dourif (Chucky), Robert Englund (Freddy) and Danielle Harris (Jamie) is also icing on the cake. Overall, all the actors played their parts well. The deaths are also well done. The idea behind the murders is original and now I feel like I should watch Final Cut just to see if they follow the same route. (All I recall was the kidney ice death.)

Despite all the negativity this film got, it's a blast if you don't take it so seriously.

9/10

Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM #363
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Urban Legend

Rating - 9/10

Another great slasher, and a great cast tbh and it was really creative and not obvious who the killer was. I normally find the main females boring on most slashers except for Scream of course, because Sydney is flawless, but I loved Natalie. Brenda was a great choice for a killer as I stated before it wasn't obvious. I'm glad they made a female a killer, it's always men and it gets annoying because females can be killers too. Tara Reid looked beautiful and was great in this movie.. Shame she had to die

Rankings
1.Scream(1996) - 9/10
2.Scream 2 - 9/10
3.Urban Legend - 9/10
4.Friday The 13th - 8/10
5.I Know What You Did Last Summer - 5/10
6.House Of Wax - 3/10

Spoiler:

Last edited by LukeB; 07-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:38 PM #364
-

-

Urban Legend (1998)
8/10

Like I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend was one of the few slasher flicks in the late 90s to grace our screens following the success of Wes Craven's slasher classic Scream. This one is basically centered around a university which is beset by a rash of gruesome murders that resemble old urban legends. That's pretty much it.

One reason why I like this film is because of how unique it is. It's not your typical slasher where a bunch of stupid kids are being hacked up with a knife by a guy in a mask. No no. The plot of the film is interesting and original. I loved the idea of the deaths being based on Urban Legends as it made the deaths more enjoyable to watch and just better overall. I also like how it follows the theme throughout the film even when there isn't any kills. It has that mystery element to it too. Like Scream and IKWYDLS, the casting for Urban Legends is also good if not better. Rebecca Gayheart, Joshua Jackson, Jared Leto, Tara Reid, Danielle Harris, Robert Englund all played their characters really well. And the fact that you have the actors who played Freddie Kruger and Jamie Lloyd is a cert that the cast and the film itself will be good. The killer reveal was amazing. I loved Brenda as the killer. I loved her motive. I love how the reveal again fitted in with the theme of Urban Legends with the Kidney Heist.

Highly recommended

Last edited by Jason.; 07-10-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:51 PM #365
Namaste

Namaste

Loving this appreciation for Urban Legend.

I'll watch it soon.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:59 PM #366
Namaste

Namaste

Urban Legend:
9/10

I'm just gonna say it ... Urban Legend is my favourite slasher movie. Unpopular opinion in general, but I just love it. The entire film has an eerie, sinister atmosphere right from the very first scene (an atmosphere suitable befitting of a dark urban legend) and maintains it for the entire movie. It's the sort of movie I'd love to watch on a dark autumnal night.

The whole "urban legends" theme really works for me too, since it's something I've always found intriguing anyway. You can tell the filmmakers really did their homework on the subject, not only are the kills great homages to various urban legends but the movie is full of little easter eggs referring to various others too. Then there's the casting of various horror icons, it really feels like a love letter to fans of the genre.

Urban Legend's main achievement for me, however, is the resolution of the mystery. Not only is the killer somebody who's been right beside the main protagonist, and right under the audience's nose, the entire time, but they have a compelling motive for the killing spree (and for the method they chose). I absolutely loved Brenda's reveal (even though I hate her for killing the dog ).

If I had to nitpick, the scene where Natalie thinks Brenda is going to be attacked in the pool annoys me, why would that girl walk right over to the other side of the pool with her hood still up? I also wish Brenda's infatuation with Paul was entirely part of the facade (since her motivation was to avenge the dead love of her life), but on the other hand I suppose her madly craving the affection of another guy could very well fit with her mental state following her boyfriend's death.

These small gripe aside, I think Urban Legend is a brilliant movie that's been severely underappreciated because of it's status as a "Scream rip-off". It's a hell of a lot better than the vast majority of slashers that tried to emulate Scream.

Rankings:
1. Urban Legend (9/10)
2. Scream 2 (9/10)
3. Scream (8/10)
4. Friday the 13th (7/10)
5. House of Wax (6.5/10)
6. I Know What You Did Last Summer (5/10)
Old 07-10-2015, 07:04 PM #367

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Wednesday 7th October - Scream 3 (2000)

In the final installment to this trilogy, a murdering spree begins to happen again; this time targeted toward the original Woodsboro survivors and those associated with the movie-inside a-movie, Stab 3. Sydney (Neve Campbell) must face the demons of her past to stop the killer(s).

Reviewers, get your reviews in for 8PM tomorrow!

Reviewers: Cal, Daniel_, armand,kay, Daniel-X, Tom, Lostie!, Xtopher, LukeB, Dezzy, Dollface, Moosething, Will1999, BB6, Fat.Rat, Amy Jade
Old 07-10-2015, 07:07 PM #368
Namaste

Namaste

From Urban Legend to Scream 3 ... this is like going from CBB15 to BB16 all over again.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:55 PM #369
Banned

Banned

Urban Legend

Like IKWYDLS, Urban Legend's existence is largely because of Scream but, unlike IKWYDLS, It's actually a serviceable film. The characters are largely forgettable but the kills are inventive and the fact that they're inspired by different urban legends was quite a new idea that I didn't think had been done before. Overall I enjoyed the film, I don't think it's a classic but it's not bad either to say that it's a cash in film.

6/10

Scores
Urban Legend 6/10
I Know What You Did Last Summer - 2/10
Scream 2 - 8/10
House of Wax - 5/10
Friday the 13th - 3/10
Scream - 9/10

Last edited by Tom4784; 07-10-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 PM #370
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):
@ChasingTheGhost

Favourites (more):

Scream 3

I'm just gonna say it. This film's a guilty pleasure. Yes, I know how bad it is. Yes, I know how some Scream fans dislike it. But to me there's something charming about it. One thing I ****ing love is Parker Posey playing Jennifer Jolie playing Gale Weathers. Everything about her character just has be dying and I would watch it again just for her. Sad she had to go but at least her death was memorable.

The whole Stab 3 thing I actually liked. It was nice to see the Hollywood interpretation of the characters we already know. It was nice to see Cotton die since he was useless and living off Sidney's heroic actions in 2. So yay. I personally loved this killer. He worked alone, he was smart, brought something knew and he was Sid's damn brother. I believe he has a great reason to do what he did. If I was shot down by my mother I would go ape**** too. The whole backstory of the mother is kinda tragic too. Oh and Gale's hair was terrible.

So yeah, I do like this film. I might be in the small percentage tho but can't win 'em all!

7/10
byeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited by Xtopher; 07-10-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Xtopher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:23 PM #371
-

-

Scream 3 (2000)
4/10

The only good thing about this sequel is Parker Posey (Jennifer). There's probably more, but that means I'd have to think deeper about Scream 3. So no.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:47 PM #372
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):

Scream 3

Rating - 7/10

Scream 3 is my least favourite Scream but after the re-watch i don't find it that bad. It started off great where we saw Cotton get killed (thankfully, he's my least favourite) Christine screaming when she got stabbed and the music playing was a good scene. The characters were a bit meh except for Angelina and Jennifer. I didn't like the killer but the story goes I guess. It would have been better if Angelina was the killer. "when your friends with Sidney you die" I love this quote. detective kincaid The mother scenes and voice were really creepy(which is great for the movie)

1.Scream(1996) - 9/10
2.Scream 2 - 9/10
3.Urban Legend - 9/10
4.Friday The 13th - 8/10
5.Scream 3 - 7/10
6.I Know What You Did Last Summer - 5/10
7.House Of Wax - 3/10

Spoiler:

Last edited by LukeB; 08-10-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:41 PM #373
Namaste

Namaste

I'm watching Scream 3 right now (about halfway through). I started late so my review's gonna be a tad late, sorry!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:42 PM #374

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):