Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:28 AM #1
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Default Harrow and Barnet become the first councils in England to offer home testing HIV kits

Harrow and Barnet become the first councils in England to offer home testing HIV kits in partnership with Terrance Higgins Trust

The announcement coincides with ‘Do it London’ awareness raising campaign, which aims to encourage regular testing for HIV and promote safe sex. The kits are for at high risk groups, which include gay men, bisexual and heterosexual men and women from Black African origins to help identify the condition early.

The kits can be ordered online from the Terrance Higgins Trust website and will arrive in a few days to a chosen address in the borough. All that is required is a small sample of blood, from a finger prick. The kit is then sent off in on a pre-paid envelope for testing.

Cary James, Head of Health Improvement Programmes at Terrence Higgins Trust said,

“Postal HIV tests are a great way to make it even easier to test for HIV. “National HIV Testing Week’ (starts November 21) is mere weeks away so it is great to see Harrow taking
leadership in providing such an innovative service to support the sexual health of its residents.”

Councilor for public health, Varsha Parmar, said:
“In Harrow we only have a small number of people who are diagnosed with HIV, but it is still important for risk groups to be checked regularly. I am delighted that Harrow is the first Council in England to provide these kits. The tests are a discreet way for people who are sexually active to find out if they are HIV positive and prevent transmitting the infection further.

“Thankfully HIV treatments have advanced dramatically in recent years and if diagnosed early there is a range of treatments available. However, if undiagnosed there can be life changing consequences.”

If left untreated, HIV can be fatal. It damages the immune system, preventing our bodies from fighting off infections that we could normally handle. More than 500 people died from HIV-related illness in the UK in 2013. That’s why testing for HIV is crucial, and why advances such as these testing kits, and campaigns such as National HIV Testing Week are so important.

Residents who are outside of the at risk groups can still take advantage of free testing in the borough. Information on what services are available and where, can be found on the Harrow Council website.

Ends

Note to editors:

As a Harrow resident you can get information about Sexual Health and a free HIV test from;

Terrence Higgins Trust (THT) – that offer a free self-sampling postal HIV kit available to residents in London Borough of Barnet.

Ask your GP for an HIV test – nowadays there is no need for a lengthy discussion about the test, it just involves having a blood test taken.

Request a test from your local Genito-Urinary Medicine (GUM) clinic (London North West Healthcare NHS Trust- Sexual Health) or local Contraceptive and Sexual Health Clinic - CaSH (London North West Healthcare NHS Trust - Contraception and Sexual Health#Harrow ).

Offer of HIV test is private and confidential. You are never alone if your test result is positive, there is support available.

In 2013, 383 Harrow residents (218 males and 165 females) received HIV-related care.

Of these, 174 were black African, 85 were white and 47 Indian/ Pakistan/ Bangladesh, 24 Black Caribbean and 53 were from other/ undisclosed ethnic groups.

The main route of infection in Harrow is sex between men and women (269) with a further (82) attributed to men who have sex with men (MSM).
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 AM #2

This can help things
I would think other Zones will follow
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:46 AM #3
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
This can help things
I would think other Zones will follow
It is a massive step forward Arista, and hopefully will be rolled out elsewhere.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 AM #4

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

So this is basically to cut down waiting times and over crowded waiting rooms and under staffing for the NHS at the clap clinics.I think it's a good thing if it reduces pressure on already over worked NHS staff and for people who have just never thought to go and get tested before.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:29 AM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It´s a toughie this one, and I can´t help but think that finding out at a clinic or dr´s would be so much better to access medication/ counselling sooner.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:34 AM #6
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
So this is basically to cut down waiting times and over crowded waiting rooms and under staffing for the NHS at the clap clinics.I think it's a good thing if it reduces pressure on already over worked NHS staff and for people who have just never thought to go and get tested before.

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It´s a toughie this one, and I can´t help but think that finding out at a clinic or dr´s would be so much better to access medication/ counselling sooner.

If the result was positive the result won't be sent by post, people would be called into clinic just the same as when GPs get results they deliver bad news in person. Welcome back btw

Last edited by Cherie; 07-10-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:44 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post

If the result was positive the result won't be sent by post, people would be called into clinic just the same as when GPs get results they deliver bad news in person. Welcome back btw
Oh sorry I should have scanned the info :/ I was on hols will have a rethink haha!
Old 08-10-2015, 10:43 PM #8
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

Hopefully this will help stop the spread of aids. Trouble is a lot of people think that only gay people can get the disease.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
Hopefully this will help stop the spread of aids. Trouble is a lot of people think that only gay people can get the disease.
I don't think this is a bad thing at all. They did the same thing with home tests for clamidia but I'm not sure how well received it was. The problem is, a lot of people worry that they may have HIV but would rather not know.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49 AM #10
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Then the 80s campaign 'don't die of ignorance' really would be apt, so the tests are similar ones for bowel cancer where you send a sample for testing? In that case I'd say it's a good idea and it should be rolled out nationwide. I doubt anyone now thinks it's just a gay/bi issue.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
barnet, councils, england, harrow, hiv, home, kits, offer, testing