Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 AM #26
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Because it is sociable, and if its a rural pub (and that pub the Salutation is literally in the middle of nowhere) then that means you're probably going to have to drive and no one is going to visit a pub to sip half a pint of coke.
I would if I was driving

Mind I have been pregnant and in pubs too often so I am probably more used to drinking pop than alcohol when out
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:25 AM #27
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

If you want to drink, don't drive. Nobody wants to be the asshole who hits someone with their car resulting in their death all because you wanted to have a beer.. if you want to go out for a drink, make sure you get a taxi/cab or have a designated driver. Easy and saves lives.

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 AM #28
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Next time you need to have a pint or two Vicky and rejoice in England (and Wales)'s higher drink-drive limit

Last edited by MTVN; 09-01-2016 at 12:29 AM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:29 AM #29
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Farage is spot on, enough of the do gooders arguing for these stupid limits trying to make the majority of the population feel guilty about their drink intake. It's as bad as the calls for the lower drink driving limit or the self-righteous dry January plebs who are killing an industry that is very important to this country.
I am pleased to agree with just about all the post above,with the exception of the driving with drink part.

I do feel the time has come to have much stronger controls on that happening, I am a driver and if I go out with the car to a social event, I would never even have one alcoholic drink myself, regardless of strength of the alcohol content.

Just keep some funds in your pocket and then taxi home if going out drinking just my view but there it is.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:37 AM #30
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Thing is though with rural pubs you only want to pop in for an hour or so and its not worth arranging a taxi but then again you go to sample the pub and its beer so you don't want to restrict yourself to soft drinks or whatever. The type of people who cause accidents on roads are not those who sample a pint or two and head home, they are the ones who sink a skinful and would do whatever the limit was.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 AM #31
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry

Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 AM #32
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Thing is though with rural pubs you only want to pop in for an hour or so and its not worth arranging a taxi but then again you go to sample the pub and its beer so you don't want to restrict yourself to soft drinks or whatever. The type of people who cause accidents on roads are not those who sample a pint or two and head home, they are the ones who sink a skinful and would do whatever the limit was.
That's not a justification for driving a vehicle while impaired. Even a small amount of alcohol can affect your ability to react. For the record, there are many things that impair your reactions, like being unwell, listening to a radio or phone, there is an endless list. Until we have driver less cars (which aren't far off now) driving should require complete concentration.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:43 AM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

Remix on Fun
Yes Farage gets Votes

4 million - last time
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:40 AM #34

Quote:

100% correct again Matt.

You CANNOT legislate for selfishness, idiocy, or criminality.

We do not NEED more 'Nanny State' guidelines or advice or preaching - reasonably intelligent and decent people already KNOW not to get pissed and drive, like they KNOW that smoking tobacco products or injecting heroin or sticking darts in their eyes is harmful.

We do not NEED any more new laws - just full and proper IMPLEMENTATION of the laws which we ALREADY have, and that includes realistic sentencing for wilfully breaking those laws -- sentencing which is severe enough to both DETER and PUNISH.

Farage is correct.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 09-01-2016 at 06:42 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:10 PM #35
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
no Kizzy he was naturally asked about it and gave a honest opinion

one that most agree with
Naturally asked about it, as opposed to abnormally being asked about it?

Who are most? I would like to meet most I've heard a lot about them.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:20 PM #36
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

What is clear is that even very small amounts of alcohol affect your driving. Drivers with even 20-50mg alcohol per 100ml of blood are at least three times more likely to die in a crash than those with no alcohol in their blood [8].Drivers with BAC of 10mg/100ml, far below the UK or European drink drive limit, are 46% more likely to be at fault in collisions than sober drivers [9], and when they crash, do more damage than sober drivers [10]. That’s why the only safe amount to drink if you’re driving is nothing at all – not a drop.

Male drivers – three quarters (75%) of drivers who fail breath tests following crashes are men [4], and twice as many men as women admit to drink-driving.

http://www.brake.org.uk/events/15-fa...-drink-driving
Old 09-01-2016, 05:43 PM #37
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Because it is sociable, and if its a rural pub (and that pub the Salutation is literally in the middle of nowhere - it's not even a village where its based, its a hamlet) then that means you're probably going to have to drive and no one is going to visit a pub to sip half a pint of coke.
Its killed business in Scotland for Golf Clubs and the rural pubs round my way, terrible decision
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:28 PM #38
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What is clear is that even very small amounts of alcohol affect your driving. Drivers with even 20-50mg alcohol per 100ml of blood are at least three times more likely to die in a crash than those with no alcohol in their blood [8].Drivers with BAC of 10mg/100ml, far below the UK or European drink drive limit, are 46% more likely to be at fault in collisions than sober drivers [9], and when they crash, do more damage than sober drivers [10]. That’s why the only safe amount to drink if you’re driving is nothing at all – not a drop.

Male drivers – three quarters (75%) of drivers who fail breath tests following crashes are men [4], and twice as many men as women admit to drink-driving.

http://www.brake.org.uk/events/15-fa...-drink-driving
Thanks Kizzy, thats what I was alluding to in my post, and who wants to be responsible for knocking down a kid after a Sunday lunch time pint. It will never happen has a remarkable frequency of happening.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:30 PM #39
-

-

The defence of drink driving here... utterly barmy. It affects your reaction times, therefore stopping distances, therefore you're more likely to kill someone. Full stop. But oh no, we have to allow that because Bob wants a pint so Bob should be able to have a pint? Such is the depth of this country's (along with most of the world, it seems) unhealthy dependence on alcohol. It's seen as a bloody human right. Wtf.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34 PM #40
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The defence of drink driving here... utterly barmy. It affects your reaction times, therefore stopping distances, therefore you're more likely to kill someone. Full stop. But oh no, we have to allow that because Bob wants a pint so Bob should be able to have a pint? Such is the depth of this country's (along with most of the world, it seems) unhealthy dependence on alcohol. It's seen as a bloody human right. Wtf.
I am defending what is the current drink driving law in my country and saying it is appropriate, not exactly 'utterly barmy'

Last edited by MTVN; 09-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:37 PM #41
-

-

Quote:
I am defending what is the current drink driving law in my country and saying it is appropriate, not exactly 'utterly barmy'
The reasoning. If the reasoning was that it would demonstrably make no difference to reaction times, then fine. But the reasoning seems to be that it needs to be left alone because "Otherwise poor Ted won't be able to have a pint at a rural pub and drive home boo hoo"... yeah, that's utterly barmy to me. If it saves one life - **** Ted's "rural pint", tbqfh.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:40 PM #42
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
so take it you dont ever eat and drive and you have never looked at your phone while driving?

Old 09-01-2016, 10:44 PM #43
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so take it you dont ever eat and drive and you have never looked at your phone while driving?

Eating whilst driving has nowhere near the effect of having 2 units of alcohol and no, ffs LT, you should not be looking at your phone whilst driving. I do know a girl who likes to text and drive... but she is a ****ing moron.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 PM #44
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Eating whilst driving has nowhere near the effect of having 2 units of alcohol and no, ffs LT, you should not be looking at your phone whilst driving. I do know a girl who likes to text and drive... but she is a ****ing moron.
Iv driven for many years and having a couple of pints is nothing compared to the distraction of a phone

I know quite a few coppers and they know the drunks. Drink driving from normal people aint no issue.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 PM #45
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The reasoning. If the reasoning was that it would demonstrably make no difference to reaction times, then fine. But the reasoning seems to be that it needs to be left alone because "Otherwise poor Ted won't be able to have a pint at a rural pub and drive home boo hoo"... yeah, that's utterly barmy to me. If it saves one life - **** Ted's "rural pint", tbqfh.
Well believe it or not Ted not having his pint does make a real difference to businesses, livelihoods and communities. The facts are all there to see in Scotland about the impact that lowering the drink drive limit has had.

Obviously its safer to drive after having drank nothing than having drank something. It's also safer to drive after 8 hours sleep than 4. It's probably safer to drive in silence than with the radio blaring out. It's also obvious that alcohol contributes to a great deal of crime overall. If you obsessively try and control every aspect of peoples lives then there is a whole host of measures you could take in the name of protecting people. The limit we have in England is fine, its well understood and has done a very good job of reducing offences without punishing the vast majority for the actions of a tiny minority.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:58 PM #46
-

-

Neh. Not here for pandering to the fact that people can't go out for a pub lunch without washing it down with alcohol. Nothing about this nation's relationship with alcohol is "fine"... it's a mess... and the fact that reducing the limit could genuinely have an effect on communities is only further evidence of how unhealthily embedded that cultural alcohol reliance is, to be honest. The fact that is exists does not make it good.

The only area in which I agree that it's an issue is the whole "morning after" problem - i.e. it's impossible to know exactly when your blood alcohol levels have dropped far enough to drive the next day. That's the only problem I can see though. No one "needs" to be drinking and driving on the same day... they just don't. Carpool and have a dedicated driver, rotate who that is each time you go.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 PM #47
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I agree that there is plenty that is wrong with the country's relationship with alcohol but things like binge drinking and bargain supermarket prices are a far bigger part of that than Jerry (bored of Ted) who drives home after having a pint with his Sunday lunch
Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 AM #48

I need to drink a bit less. i don't mind these guidelines.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 AM #49
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
I need to drink a bit less. i don't mind these guidelines.
Alex you exceed the weekly guidline in one fecking night

Old 10-01-2016, 11:00 AM #50
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
I agree that there is plenty that is wrong with the country's relationship with alcohol but things like binge drinking and bargain supermarket prices are a far bigger part of that than Jerry (bored of Ted) who drives home after having a pint with his Sunday lunch
But this isn't what Nigel is campaigning against even. He is complaining at a health guideline which means nothing and has zero effect on anyone

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
alcohol, calls, farage, guidelines, mass, nigel, protest