Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-01-2016, 02:03 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I listened to the Head of Aberdeen Asset Management make a rather grim prediction about the world economy yesterday from some thing going on at mo in Switzerland
Yes it was the GEF annual meeting that went on for 4 days. I thought they were more positive than most about the world economy.
Old 23-01-2016, 02:05 PM #27
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
"We really do need to keep a close eye on the world economy."

Yes I do
no Crash in the next month
Everything is moving well

New Buildings
using Lock Together
plastic and Steel
are Fast Builds

Its a revolution

Like lego
Prefabricated houses have been around for a long time Arista, it's not the future.
Old 23-01-2016, 02:53 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Prefabricated houses have been around for a long time Arista, it's not the future.

But Faster High Rise Build
of New Top End Flats
are great.

It is the Future
as they can now build Solid Flats on the Sea, now

Like China building a new Runway on their
Island near Japan.

This New Tech gear
is great

Last edited by arista; 23-01-2016 at 02:54 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:06 PM #29
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
But Faster High Rise Build
of New Top End Flats
are great.

It is the Future
as they can now build Solid Flats on the Sea, now

Like China building a new Runway on their
Island near Japan.

This New Tech gear
is great
Ignoring the fault line?... Risky
Old 25-01-2016, 08:16 AM #30
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
We should have really low energy and petrol prices then...but we haven't.
Petrol prices are low. 58p of each litre of petrol is tax and the tax doesn't change, therefore the price changes are more dramatic than they might look. Petrol falling from £1.15 a litre to 99p a litre = a 14% price drop (which in itself is significant).

Take the tax out of that equation; 57p a litre down to 41p a litre = 28% drop in price.

Also consider that the cost of fuel also covers the cost of production (you don't fill your car with crude oil, it's goes through extensive refinement) and also distribution (transport, the cost of running the pumps and garages themselves) both of which are also mostly static, it's not just the raw price of oil.

We filled up yesterday for 97.7p/litre. I don't remember fuel being that low ever... I remember the "£1" blockade shenanigans and I was about 12 or 13 maybe so that was at least 17 years ago. I'm sure plenty of you oldies remember it being much cheaper .

Gas and Electricity are of course another matter entirely. There's a huge, insidious energy molopoly there that's been going on for years with absolutely obscene profit margins.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 05:08 PM #31
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Petrol prices are low. 58p of each litre of petrol is tax and the tax doesn't change, therefore the price changes are more dramatic than they might look. Petrol falling from £1.15 a litre to 99p a litre = a 14% price drop (which in itself is significant).

Take the tax out of that equation; 57p a litre down to 41p a litre = 28% drop in price.

Also consider that the cost of fuel also covers the cost of production (you don't fill your car with crude oil, it's goes through extensive refinement) and also distribution (transport, the cost of running the pumps and garages themselves) both of which are also mostly static, it's not just the raw price of oil.

We filled up yesterday for 97.7p/litre. I don't remember fuel being that low ever... I remember the "£1" blockade shenanigans and I was about 12 or 13 maybe so that was at least 17 years ago. I'm sure plenty of you oldies remember it being much cheaper .

Gas and Electricity are of course another matter entirely. There's a huge, insidious energy molopoly there that's been going on for years with absolutely obscene profit margins.
Our petrol is bought at the 2nd lowest price in Europe and after tax it's the 2nd highest.
Old 26-01-2016, 08:13 AM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post

Good post and all true.

I remember the front page horror of £1 a GALLON.

Like I remember the weeks of front page articles and coloured wash drawings of how we would all be wealthy and living in some paradise when North Sea oil was discovered.

I can laugh at both now (when I'm not actually crying)

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
coming, crash