Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 29-01-2016, 10:08 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault

Favourites (more):
Default Brilliant Neighbours.

As I've mentioned before, I live now in a Village within a town, it's awesome in some respects, but it's very tiny. But within a very diverse neighbourhood of about 70 homes, there is one of the best community spirits I have ever found.

Admittedly, it's quite an aging neighbourhood, many are descendants of the original factory workers the cottages were built for, but will take in parcels for you (for example) if you take the care to talk, just small talk, but it's nice and it connects you.

Recently there were moved in 7 Romanians next door, they all work for Dorset Council which is a good 90 min drive. They invite us to come and have fun, and they are great hosts...but I say, these are 2 bedroom cottages, it's stupidly cramped. Sabina is a trained sport physiotherapist but her licence doesn't allow her to practice in the UK. Same, my cousin qualifies as a nurse in Tennessee, but now she's gone back to Texas she has to do it alllllllll over again.

One of my main fears for this incarnation of society, is a loss of how to relate within a small community. I think society fails now because it has become too diluted and impersonal.

Went a bit deeper than I thought, but I still think the title works. It's just an experience for me to have some really good neighbours.

Last edited by Anaesthesia; 29-01-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Anaesthesia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:26 PM #2

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Population of just over 21.000 where I live, town made up of about 6 villages(areas).
Quite friendly,neighbours are good, we all take in each other's parcels etc in our. Little cul de sac of 7 houses.
Very good age mix as well, plenty to do, pubs, takeaways, golf club etc. Excellent variety of house types and apartments.
One of the lowest crime rates in Britain as well.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:28 PM #3

Stories like this will never get in the news..shame only bad news makes news
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:46 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Stories like this will never get in the news..shame only bad news makes news
Ain't that the truth, and the biggest shame. Give us some inspiring news, there's plenty of it. Make us believe there are things worth preserving, and mutual respect, and tolerance, and working together.

Last edited by Anaesthesia; 29-01-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Anaesthesia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:02 AM #5
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...villages are strange, it's a mixed bag I find, Anaesthesia because I guess towns and cities are as well...I'm a village, my life is a village..I live in a village that sounds quite similar to yours and just great, great people..the older and the young families/children...we have older neighbours on each side of us..one a couple/maybe early 80s or late 70s..?..something like that but they are teenagers really and terribly in love...the other is an elderly widower, who occasionally has family visit/his children but for most of the time, it's just him and his small dog..that dog means so much in his life...I think when my OH comes home at weekends, he's more wanting to check up on the neighbours first before he says hey to me.....but that's ok though because I do my checking when he's not there and during the week..that's the great vibe of village life etc...one thing that I do find though is the 'claustrophobia'...I go to work/school and the village is there, I come home and the village is there, you know..?..you always 'have a friend' but then there are times when you want to be alone and that can be difficult to find in a village..you go to the shop to buy some milk and come home 3 hours later because everyone wants to chat and it's like Cheers, everyone knows your name...so yes, a mixed bag I think but all in all a lovely vibe...and helps you realise the beautiful and great people around you...and yeah, it does keep that balance that I really do think is important to keep..there is so much around us that isn't so great, so much rubbish ..in the world, in the media, in our lives etc..as human beings/as a race etc..to even think about solving anything, if it's possible to solve..whether that be personal stuff or more on the grand scheme/type thing...I think it's important to absorb how intrinsically good most people are and hold onto that because it's what gives us the energy and focus etc to look at all of the bad stuff and problems to be solved...

..lot's of stuff there.....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:05 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..that's a bit deep there, sorry Anaesthesia...but yeah great villages, great neighbours, great people, great balances, great stuff...
Old 30-01-2016, 05:07 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..oh and going on from the other thread and your rattling blinds..?..I bet you keep that bedroom window open at night so that you can have a little nosey and listen to what your fellow villages are up to, you cheeky monkey, you....

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brilliant, neighbours