Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 29-02-2016, 10:35 AM #1

Default Dyslexia

I rarely tell people I'm dyslexic because I think too many people use it as a defence for bad spelling. There's a lot of undiagnosed dyslexics, especially in the more mature generations and its hugely expensive for an adult to go and get tested, so there's little point unless you are about to embark on a new college or university course. That doesn't mean you don't have dyslexia though and equally it doesn't mean you do.

As a child, my dyslexia was confounded with dyspraxia, these two things often go hand in hand and although my dyspraxia now only rears its head when I'm tired or stressed, my dyslexia is always reminding me that its a part of who I am.

Are you dyslexic or dyspraxic or both? or do you think you could be? How does it affect you? What have you done to help yourself? How have others helped you?

I have trouble with writing a sequence of numbers which obviously gives me mathematical problems.
I have short term memory problems, especially with numbers! and the more stressed I am, the worse it gets.
My speech can become affected when I'm tired or stressed and I often can't express what's in my head, which is hugely frustrating. Sometimes it feels as though my heads full of information but I can't explain that information verbally.
My hand writing is awful and I write slowly (I can type 40 words a minute though)
I have poor coordination and so find it difficult to do things like aerobics, catch or throw a ball and funnily enough run. I do something really odd when I run
Old 29-02-2016, 10:54 AM #2
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Both of my sisters are and so is my dad, but I've always been pretty good at spelling... I always thought that bad spelling was the biggest sign of 'dyslexia' but apparently its not. Whilst my spelling is pretty good, I often get words mixed up and I always struggle to pronounce things... I pronounce things as I read them, like lingerie and bass and i always really embarrass myself, which makes things even worse, lol. I get kinda stuttery when I'm nervous but thats actually gotten a lot better recently. I don't know whether I'm dyslexic or not (havent been tested) but I'm pretty sure I am! I can be doing something and then like 5 seconds later totally forget what I'm doing. It's weird, I can lose an item within 5 seconds too. Sometimes I'll be holding something in my hands and I wont just drop it, but my hand will like **** up and I'll end up flicking it across the room. IDK, its really weird. I've never felt the need to get tested as I felt like it would be a waste of their time.
Old 29-02-2016, 11:16 AM #3

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Our daughter is dyslexic.
I can remember her reading her little books from school. She used to make the most amazing stories up to fit the pictures, nothing at all to do with the written word she was supposed to read.
Hubby used to smile at her but it quite upset me as I could not understand why this bright little girl could not read, I really was ignorant.
Anyhow, we eventually learned what the problem was, she had to work at things really hard, took her own slow pace at doing things but got there in the end.
She wasn't helped by an illness at age seven that kept her from full time school for over a full term, but she caught up to the other kids by the next school year.
I think there is more awareness now, teachers look out for it more than in her schooldays.
My biggest problem with dyslexia is the attitude some people have towards it, you have dyslexia so you must be thick... think again.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:21 AM #4

Ninastar, where you late at developing speech as a child?

The sequencing difficulties you describe sound like me. As a child I also stuttered or slurred my words when I was worried.

When you say you get words muddled up, do you mean you put things the wrong way round like "are you" instead of 'you are"? I'm terrible at that when I'm writing something and I'll proof read it and still think its right but can look at it later and see the mistake. I find that reading what you've written out loud really helps.

Short term memory can be a real pain. Do you ever try to memorize by association?

The hand jerking sounds like a tic which could well be dyspraxia. Have you always had that?
Old 29-02-2016, 11:25 AM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Thanks for starting the thread DR, my lad had a shocking time at school he was given a dx of ADHD but the didn't fit that mould... he didn't fit any mould.
His main issue being he couldn't write, a sentence or two would take the whole lesson to get down same with numbers. Reading threw everyone as he liked to read which is why they refused to pursue the dyslexic assessment, however he has no concept of 'phonics' and learnt to read via whole word recognition.
He can't spell anything and his short term memory is non existent, if he went to a shop and you wanted more than 2 items he'd need a list.
At 19 though things are beginning to 'click' maths is improving greatly as is handwriting, however as you stated on the other thread some font sizes, styles and colours throw him massively.
Never through school did any teaching assistant ever grasp that, it's the spacings between the letters that are the issue whatever the size or font blue, green or yellow text? forget it!
Old 29-02-2016, 11:25 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
Both of my sisters are and so is my dad, but I've always been pretty good at spelling... I always thought that bad spelling was the biggest sign of 'dyslexia' but apparently its not. Whilst my spelling is pretty good, I often get words mixed up and I always struggle to pronounce things... I pronounce things as I read them, like lingerie and bass and i always really embarrass myself, which makes things even worse, lol. I get kinda stuttery when I'm nervous but thats actually gotten a lot better recently. I don't know whether I'm dyslexic or not (havent been tested) but I'm pretty sure I am! I can be doing something and then like 5 seconds later totally forget what I'm doing. It's weird, I can lose an item within 5 seconds too. Sometimes I'll be holding something in my hands and I wont just drop it, but my hand will like **** up and I'll end up flicking it across the room. IDK, its really weird. I've never felt the need to get tested as I felt like it would be a waste of their time.

....hmmm..(I think..)..that it would be difficult to diagnose for you/self diagnose I mean in that you have the association of your dad and siblings being dyslexic and so probably without realising, attach certain things to yourself which could just as easily be more stress or tired related..?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Our daughter is dyslexic.
I can remember her reading her little books from school. She used to make the most amazing stories up to fit the pictures, nothing at all to do with the written word she was supposed to read.
Hubby used to smile at her but it quite upset me as I could not understand why this bright little girl could not read, I really was ignorant.
Anyhow, we eventually learned what the problem was, she had to work at things really hard, took her own slow pace at doing things but got there in the end.
She wasn't helped by an illness at age seven that kept her from full time school for over a full term, but she caught up to the other kids by the next school year.
I think there is more awareness now, teachers look out for it more than in her schooldays.
My biggest problem with dyslexia is the attitude some people have towards it, you have dyslexia so you must be thick... think again.

..yeah I agree Smudgie, some dyslexics are extremely gifted and talented, academically...hence the extreme frustrations they have, which can also result in behaviour issues for some...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 11:34 AM #7
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Ninastar, where you late at developing speech as a child?

The sequencing difficulties you describe sound like me. As a child I also stuttered or slurred my words when I was worried.

When you say you get words muddled up, do you mean you put things the wrong way round like "are you" instead of 'you are"? I'm terrible at that when I'm writing something and I'll proof read it and still think its right but can look at it later and see the mistake. I find that reading what you've written out loud really helps.

Short term memory can be a real pain. Do you ever try to memorize by association?

The hand jerking sounds like a tic which could well be dyspraxia. Have you always had that?
I'm not sure if I was late at developing speech as a child or not... My mum didnt talk to me (which she admits and feels bad because she didn't know...) and it wasn't until I was like 2 1/2 when my grandparents came over to visit, that I began talking.

And yeah lol, I get the words the wrong way round or I'll say something like 'I tubbed my soe' instead of 'I stubbed my toe' LOL... it's embarrassing but funny at the same time.

I'm pretty good at writing things out and not having spelling errors. I did pretty well with english at school, so they never thought I was dyslexic, it was just my god awful handwriting that could make angels cry, that concerned teachers.

I've never heard of that? What exactly is memorize by association?

and I don't think I have. I just know that I move a lot and can't be comfy unless I'm like rocking my legs or something!
Old 29-02-2016, 11:41 AM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Haha another dancing fool ( that was my nickname by a teacher at 11) I just couldn't sit still, are you hyper mobile ( like double jointed, bendy) Caitlin?
Old 29-02-2016, 11:56 AM #9
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Haha another dancing fool ( that was my nickname by a teacher at 11) I just couldn't sit still, are you hyper mobile ( like double jointed, bendy) Caitlin?
in my arms I am, yes!
Old 29-02-2016, 12:04 PM #10

I wanted to pick up on that too Smudgie. Even though my dyslexic testing gave me my IQ reading, which was slightly higher than average, I still sometimes suffer anxiety about my own capabilities.

In life people judge us, especially those we work for. Dyslexia isn't a learning disability, its a learning difficulty but people often judge us as having a learning disability and so we are (at least us of the older generation) less likely to tell people. The problem with not telling anyone is, it can lead to us becoming anxious about being judged.

When I first started work I wouldn't last in a job for more than a few months because I just couldn't overcome the difficulties. I had seven jobs in the space of two years. Those were anxious times that are fortunately far behind me. These days, people are ready to listen and understand and times are changing for the better. I would advise anyone with dyslexia/dyspraxia to tell their new employer so that allowances are made.

Kizzy, you say your son is very slow at hand writing (like me), does he find its actually painful to hold a pen?
He's found lots of coping strategies which is great. Computers are wonderful things for us with dyslexia.
Old 29-02-2016, 12:20 PM #11
0_o

0_o

My partner is dyslexic. Was never picked up at school...they just thought he was thick so never diagnosed. As such he left with no GCSES and still no further forward with reading and stuff
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 29-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 12:26 PM #12
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
My partner is dyslexic. Was never picked up at school...they just thought he was thick so never diagnosed. As such he left with no GCSES and still no further forward with reading and stuff
Aw poor lad yep self esteem in the toilet about it? My lad is doing his level 2 functional skills English and maths now, try talk your fella into giving them a go, most of it is done on PC Vicky.
Old 29-02-2016, 12:31 PM #13
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I wanted to pick up on that too Smudgie. Even though my dyslexic testing gave me my IQ reading, which was slightly higher than average, I still sometimes suffer anxiety about my own capabilities.

In life people judge us, especially those we work for. Dyslexia isn't a learning disability, its a learning difficulty but people often judge us as having a learning disability and so we are (at least us of the older generation) less likely to tell people. The problem with not telling anyone is, it can lead to us becoming anxious about being judged.

When I first started work I wouldn't last in a job for more than a few months because I just couldn't overcome the difficulties. I had seven jobs in the space of two years. Those were anxious times that are fortunately far behind me. These days, people are ready to listen and understand and times are changing for the better. I would advise anyone with dyslexia/dyspraxia to tell their new employer so that allowances are made.

Kizzy, you say your son is very slow at hand writing (like me), does he find its actually painful to hold a pen?
He's found lots of coping strategies which is great. Computers are wonderful things for us with dyslexia.
Yep, he's a leftie so got him them odd shaped pens and pencil grips but nothing much helped, he just got so frustrated with himself. Do you have to use a special keyboard? We don't have one as he finds white on black ok so that's lucky.
Old 29-02-2016, 12:31 PM #14

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

Yes DR, I do think there is a much better understanding of dyslexia, some may need a little more time to do their job, but the good job thatis done makes up for it.
Our daughter gained excellent results with her GCSE, then A levels results, went on to uni and managed a Masters.
Head of Dept at a young age at her school, thankfully all her hard work has paid off, not to say that it has got very much easier as it takes her forever to do her marking and reports, but I think as much through habit as well now as she is so thorough.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 12:33 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
in my arms I am, yes!
That'll be why your moving a lot then,if you have poor muscle tone you get tired if you have to be in one position for too long and so you fidget
Old 29-02-2016, 12:56 PM #16
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

My dad has it pretty badly, he used to have to have people do all of his writing for him. I had tests in primary school and it was positive I had it too but I've never had any tests since. But still, it's obvious to me/my mum that I've got it as well. The worst thing for me is getting my words muddled up all the time, especially if I'm shouting/talking quickly or in an argument..
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 01:02 PM #17
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
My dad has it pretty badly, he used to have to have people do all of his writing for him. I had tests in primary school and it was positive I had it too but I've never had any tests since. But still, it's obvious to me/my mum that I've got it as well. The worst thing for me is getting my words muddled up all the time, especially if I'm shouting/talking quickly or in an argument..
Poor baby Crews tbh
Old 29-02-2016, 01:04 PM #18
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Ugly, disabled and thick.. Poor crews indeed
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 01:19 PM #19
Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Ninastar

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
Ugly, disabled and thick.. Poor crews indeed
Plus it will support either arsenal or liverpool which is a tragedy in itself
Old 29-02-2016, 01:22 PM #20
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

My sister has dyspraxia and some sort of global development delay, which makes her have the mind of a 5/6 year old when she's actually 12. Luckily, the school have been great and they provide the right things to meet her needs. It's strange though as no one else in my family has any kind of learning difficulty
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 05:29 PM #21

dyslexia is a very light form, of learning difficulties, but it won't slow you down, or effect the subjects that you are good at, I am not very good at maths, and I only get average scores, but all the other subjects, I past with flying colours, No one is good at everything, and none of us can be good at every subject, there will always be one or two things that you won't be good at, are brains, are like computers, there is only so much information and memory that can be put into a PC, are brains are like this too, we all have some type of dyslexia in us, the problem is that schools live in a myth that some kids are perfect and others are not, all have the same flaw in are learning.
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 06:04 PM #22
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Aw poor lad yep self esteem in the toilet about it? My lad is doing his level 2 functional skills English and maths now, try talk your fella into giving them a go, most of it is done on PC Vicky.
He tried doing a college course thing but was so paranoid as there was noone his own age..

I told him that didn't matter but nope, didn't go back
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 06:07 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
He tried doing a college course thing but was so paranoid as there was noone his own age..

I told him that didn't matter but nope, didn't go back
I did mine at 35, get your foot up his jacksey
Old 01-03-2016, 04:34 PM #24

Quote:
Yep, he's a leftie so got him them odd shaped pens and pencil grips but nothing much helped, he just got so frustrated with himself. Do you have to use a special keyboard? We don't have one as he finds white on black ok so that's lucky.
I don't but then there was little available when I was younger and because I'm a touch typer, there would be little point. My eldest has got on well with EDI touch.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:38 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Yes DR, I do think there is a much better understanding of dyslexia, some may need a little more time to do their job, but the good job thatis done makes up for it.
Our daughter gained excellent results with her GCSE, then A levels results, went on to uni and managed a Masters.
Head of Dept at a young age at her school, thankfully all her hard work has paid off, not to say that it has got very much easier as it takes her forever to do her marking and reports, but I think as much through habit as well now as she is so thorough.
That's great

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dyslexia