Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 09-03-2016, 10:35 PM #1
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Default Why are people so rude?

Today I was in work and the department I work on was overstaffed so I got sent to help other departments and asked to go to the self checkouts to collect those security things you put on alcohol bottles and a woman told me (literally shoved a bottle in my face and said approve this) to approve her alcohol and I said sorry I'm not allowed to I am not old enough and she huffed and waited for me to get the person serving and then pointed at me and called me a stupid bitch.

I got pretty upset after when somebody asked me what was wrong, what makes people think it's ok to call another person names like that?
Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 PM #2
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

I feel so sorry for people who work in retail, people are arseholes and like to think they can treat other humans like **** just by virtue of them being there to serve you
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:49 PM #3
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):

I got BS off some gal in a lift today because I was stood too close to the doors.

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 PM #4
0_o

0_o

How long have you worked in retail?

You need to grow a thicker skin. I don't mean that to be nasty, just the abuse you get in any kind of service job is ridiculous. I used to get upset at it til I realised it was all of the time and now, even random insults/rudeness I just laugh off as I worked in bars for like 10 years
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:09 PM #5
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

You need to grow a thicker skin. I don't mean that to be nasty, just the abuse you get in any kind of service job is ridiculous. I used to get upset at it til I realised it was all of the time and now, even random insults/rudeness I just laugh off as I worked in bars for like 10 years
this tbh

(minus the 10 years bit)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:20 PM #6

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

TBH.

I got loads of abuse while I was with my last job (mainly because it was shutting down right near Christmas so people think they're more entitled). People can be selfish and self absorbed. Just need to shrug it off.
Black Dagger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:33 PM #7
-

-

Nah, anyone calling a staff member a "stupid bitch" (as anything other than a joke) or being otherwise verbally aggressive in my place is out for 24 hours. If they do it again, they're out permanently. You do have rights and you shouldn't accept your employers telling you that you just have to "have a thicker skin" when it comes to verbal abuse.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:34 PM #8

I worked on a stall during strawberry season during two summers, the people were horrible, I got a world of abuse and was robbed multiple times. I ended up having to stop doing it because of safety concerns.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 PM #9

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Didn't you post this before? If you're getting called a bitch frequently by customers maybe you're doing something wrong, no shade.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 PM #10
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

It's not just retail. I used to work in a call centre and the amount of names...I got called a slut for not giving them what they wanted, which was a brand new door.

When you have to deal with customers anywhere some just are entitled bastards and will treat you like sh8te. There's nothing you can do but grow thicker skin like Vicky said.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 09-03-2016 at 11:38 PM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:38 PM #11
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

I haven't really had any rude customers in the cafe I work at yet, although I feel like telling em to **** off when either they ask me to smile more (I can't help my resting bitch face) or when you about to give them there change and they say "Oooo!! I think I've got the right money!"

Last edited by Samm; 09-03-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 PM #12
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Nah, anyone calling a staff member a "stupid bitch" (as anything other than a joke) or being otherwise verbally aggressive in my place is out for 24 hours. If they do it again, they're out permanently. You do have rights and you shouldn't accept your employers telling you that you just have to "have a thicker skin" when it comes to verbal abuse.
I don't think an employer would actually say that, but in customer facing jobs its just so common that it water off a ducks back to those who have worked in those kids of jobs for years Unfortunately retail and such attract a lot of dickheads..so many people think shops staff and the likes are below them.

Plus, if you see a manager about it its your word against the customers..and if you work for a large store with a high staff turnover they will think nothing of getting rid of you with so many jobless right now it would be easy to fill the role in like 5 mins

Its not ideal I know..but this is kinda how things are
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-03-2016 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:44 PM #13
-

-

It is water off a duck's back but that's no reason to excuse or ignore it. It's also not good business. You might think you're retaining customers by not putting them in their place, but you have to remember that other (good, respectful) customers are watching and listening even when you don't know it, and THOSE are the customers you'll end up losing when you let arsehole customers go unchecked. They'll get a bad feeling about the place and be less likely to return. Best thing to do is respectfully, but firmly, remind them that they don't have the right to be abusive and if they don't comply then get rid. Funnily enough, the vast majority of people back right down pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:46 PM #14
0_o

0_o

Quote:
It is water off a duck's back but that's no reason to excuse or ignore it. It's also not good business. You might think you're retaining customers by not putting them in their place, but you have to remember that other (good, respectful) customers are watching and listening even when you don't know it, and THOSE are the customers you'll end up losing when you let arsehole customers go unchecked. They'll get a bad feeling about the place and be less likely to return. Best thing to do is respectfully, but firmly, remind them that they don't have the right to be abusive and if they don't comply then get rid. Funnily enough, the vast majority of people back right down pretty quickly.
Unfortunately, thats not usually something the staff can do, it has to be a manager/supervisor and then...it goes round again as a lot of bosses dont give a crap if their staff are called names.

I stopped getting verbal abuse so often by telling them to **** off..BUT I was in a better situation than most as my boss was my father-in-law
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM #15
Adios

Adios

I would have took the bottle from her and 'accidentally' dropped it at her feet

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 AM #16
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

It all depends on the perspective.

You see as someone that's never worked in retail and is a customer I can understand the frustration when a big retail store is not having enough people doing the job that they're suppose to be doing, I've in particular put up with some miserable bastards that have worked at these places and I've not even done anything to provoke that reaction other than being a Customer.

Obviously however Customers don't have the right going around abusing the Workers just because they're too young to be able to approve the drink (like what happened in your case Amy Jade) or they might be busy handling another Customers needs.

Basically my point is that it can be bad on both ends, people are just jerks.

I'm a sick bitch.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 AM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
Today I was in work and the department I work on was overstaffed so I got sent to help other departments and asked to go to the self checkouts to collect those security things you put on alcohol bottles and a woman told me (literally shoved a bottle in my face and said approve this) to approve her alcohol and I said sorry I'm not allowed to I am not old enough and she huffed and waited for me to get the person serving and then pointed at me and called me a stupid bitch.

I got pretty upset after when somebody asked me what was wrong, what makes people think it's ok to call another person names like that?
There is NO excuse for arrogance or ignorance A.J. and you should have reported her - in writing - to your immediate superior.

ALWAYS in writing, because if your immediate superior fails to take the correct action or tries to 'fob' you off, then you can take your complaint to the next level with proof that your immediate superior did not act.

I know that you are young and a nice person, but I will give you one of my own maxims which I follow in life.

'Lie down for other people like a doormat and they will wipe their feet all over you. Stand up like a wall, and they will go around you until they find some weaker person whom they can walk through like a door'.

I try to be nice to everyone, but there are ALWAYS some people who are naturally nasty and horrid and I do not 'flog dead horses' and with such people I invariably and very quickly treat them as I am treated by them.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:10 AM #18

Quote:

I agree, some people are very rude and there is no need for it. My son is autistic and is being trained by a large supermarket chain to work in one of their shops. He wears a badge that says he is in training and the other day a man asked him where a certain product was. My son tried to help him, but this a...hole lost his rag and rudely told him to get lost.
Good manners cost nothing, but some people seem to have been dragged up instead of brought up.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:31 AM #19
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..sadly working in retail is one of those things where you often get the frustrations and 'worst' of people and their irritations...it should never be that people are allowed to be rude to anyone who is just doing their job like TS said and in an ideal world...but as Vicky said, sometimes bosses can not care either..try not to let it upset you Amy....because you have the knowledge that you wouldn't ever speak to or about anyone like that in the same situation/you wouldn't be her..which is what makes you, you and the furthest from what you were called......

Last edited by Ammi; 10-03-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:33 AM #20
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...do you get some lovely customers as well Amy, do you have a great customer story..?...
Old 10-03-2016, 05:54 AM #21
hot tamale

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele
hot tamale

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Michele

Spoiler:

Dominic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:37 AM #22
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Quote:

you aren't stupid, and you said the right thing to say that you're not allowed because you are not old enough

and calling you a stupid bitch is very low, and it shows some people have no respect for other people

and some people are rude for no reason at all

I really like you, i think you are a princess on this forum

but do you also get some customers who appreciate you?

Last edited by Nicky91; 10-03-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:46 AM #23
-

-

As Kirk said, talk to your boss in writing. You have rights as an employee and your boss literally HAS to care, by legal obligation... You have the right not to be harassed or threatened (by other staff or anyone else) in the workplace and there will be someone whose job includes specifically ensuring that it doesn't happen. Any verbally aggressive behaviour could be considered threatening.

I dunno. Maybe it's because of coming from a specific customer service background that is in many ways very different to most retail - in that telling a customer "no", or that things aren't going to go as they'd like, or that they have misunderstood a product or the rules, is a very common occurrence... But yeah, working where I do, if you don't immediately take a firm stance with certain customers they will trample all over you...
Old 10-03-2016, 07:52 AM #24
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post

You see as someone that's never worked in retail and is a customer I can understand the frustration when a big retail store is not having enough people doing the job that they're suppose to be doing, I've in particular put up with some miserable bastards that have worked at these places and I've not even done anything to provoke that reaction other than being a Customer.

Obviously however Customers don't have the right going around abusing the Workers just because they're too young to be able to approve the drink (like what happened in your case Amy Jade) or they might be busy handling another Customers needs.

Good post Mock,just about all I was going to say as well.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 AM #25
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post

.....hmmmm, but isn't that the fault of the store, rather than the store worker though Mock...if retail workers are being over-worked because of understaffing, feeling stressed etc with frustrated customers who they're not able to give a quality of service to that they would like to, so a visious circle really, but the fault laying with the stores/management and not the representative person in front of you, but who will inevitable mostly be the person who it's all 'taken out on'/whether that be customer or retail assistant etc...

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
people, rude