Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

Old 15-03-2016, 02:51 PM #1
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Default Liverpool FC up for sale?

http://www.winnersports.co.uk/africa...rpool-fc-40322

I know it's a article that's 6 months old but rumours have resurfaced again that Fenway Sports Group are interested in selling Liverpool before the start of the 2017/18 season.

Africa's richest man, the royal family of Dubai and 2 unnamed American billionaires are interested in by the club and bring back the success.

I do hope this is true as although I am forever grateful FSG saved us from going out of business they have still left us in debt so it would be nice to get a mega rich owner who is willing to wipe it out and spend on improving the sqaud and keeping up with the richer clubs in the league.

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 03:16 PM #2

With Everton under mega affluent middle Eastern ownership Liverpool were in danger of becoming local also fans.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 09:09 AM #3
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

it is money that controls the football world

but money doesn't buy you trophies
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 09:14 AM #4

Nicky91, disagree. I hate the effect money has had on football but it's that very money money that does buy you trophies. People forget before the current ' oil money' era, Man City were rock bottom languishing in league 2 (used to be called league 4), on brink of relegation to non league oblivion.I hate the role money plays in achieving success, but it's even more apparent now than it was in the past.

The only difference now is due to Sky and other TV rights money even Bournemouth can get decent players and Stoke City, whose only decent player for past 50 years was late great Sir Stanley Matthews now have no less than 6 ex CL winners, so things are more even in PL, whereas in La Liga Barce and Real Madrid get almost 60% of the TV money and the rest is split amongst rest (with Atletico Madrid getting the lion's share of that).

The only English team this season who will win the league without money is skint Northampton FC who are doing brilliantly topping league 2 by 11 points clear and a game in hand over Oxford Utd who themselves used to be a top flight team in 1980s before the EPL but fell down due to lack of funds for decent players and coaching staff. I would love teams like Burton Albion, St Pauli, Rayo Vallecano or a new crazygang Wimbledon style team to rise from non league to Premier and win CL but it won't happen. Bishop Auckland, Dulwich Hamlet , Chester Le Street, Whitehawk or Histon will not be gracing the EPL any time soon which is sad, as people forget the fact over 120 years ago Spurs were once a very good non league side.

With this talk of a Super League for rich elite it will be even harder for poorer clubs to succeed.

Getting back to Liverpool, the big problem they will have is location, the club no longer means glamour as it's been in wilderness for so long. Players will join Man U and Man City as they have recently been successful in terms of titles. Klopp has got a battle on his hands to get the best, the next Suarez, the next Ian Rush, the next Jan Molby etc.

Last edited by alex_front2; 16-03-2016 at 09:39 AM.
alex_front2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
fc, liverpool, sale