Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:13 PM #1

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:

Default Colton Haynes officially comes out as gay

Quote:
has once and for all quashed rumors about his sexuality, coming out as gay in a new interview in which he addresses that Tumblr post, and his struggle with anxiety.

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Haynes says he never intended for his response to a question posted on Tumblr about his “secret gay past” to be a coming out.

EW writes:

But while social media has helped his career, it’s also gotten him into some trouble. Case in point: A Tumblr post in January sparked an Internet firestorm after a fan commented on Haynes’ “secret gay past,”regarding racy modeling photos Haynes took while underage. Without giving it much thought, Haynes offered a coy reply: “Was it a secret?” The comment was picked up by bloggers as his coming out – but it wasn’t. Not yet.

“It was a complete shock. I wasn’t ready to be back in the headlines,” says Haynes, who is in fact gay but has never publicly addressed his sexuality (and, like many others on his path, took advice early in his career to subdue it). “I should have made a comment or a statement, but I just wasn’t ready. I didn’t feel like I owed anyone anything. I think in due time, everyone has to make those decisions when they’re ready, and I wasn’t yet. But I felt like I was letting people down by not coming forward with the rest of what I should have said.” The headlines about Haynes turned vitriolic in the absence of an announcement, but he was in no place to make one: He had checked into rehab for anxiety and would be frequently back in the hospital over the next three months.

“People want you to be that GQ image that you put out, but people don’t realize what it’s like to act 24 hours a day. I’d go home and I was still acting,” he says gently. “People who are so judgmental about those who are gay or different don’t realize that acting 24 hours a day is the most exhausting thing in the world.” The truth is, Haynes has been out for most of his life – in high school, to his family and friends, to his cast members, to his Hollywood bosses (like Arrow creator Greg Berlanti, now one of his closest mentors). But as a green transplant in Hollywood in 2006, he wasn’t any more immune to the town’s well-chronicled discomfort with LGBT identity.

We here at Towleroad have covered Colton Haynes extensively over the years. I personally wrote about Hayne’s Tumblr post and I did take it as a confirmation from him that he was “out.”

However, events following his post showed that he was not ready to own that moniker, which is his right. Each individuals is on their own path towards embracing and understanding their sexual identity and must do so at their own pace. However, in my eyes, Haynes’ response on Tumblr had one strong message: “Colton Haynes Confirms He’s Gay In Coy Tumblr Post.” Which is the headline that was used in that post; a headline I stand by.

Congratulations to Haynes for opening up and sharing his struggles. He will no doubt help others fighting to love themselves and own who they are.
It's never really been a secret, but it's nice he can be honest and open about it now
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:17 PM #2
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Good on him. We just need more celebs to do this and some footballers too and a lot more people will be happy with themselves
Old 05-05-2016, 10:20 PM #3

Favourites:

Favourites:

He says his anxiety is the reason for holding it back and mentions he's been to rehab

It's such a shame it's such a pressure and it's gay vs career in a lot of places
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:21 PM #4

I don't think it was ever as secret as he reckons but good on him for coming out still.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:26 PM #5
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

You could tell he's been advised to keep it quiet, but there were pictures and stuff floating around of him with exes and those softcore pictures...it's sad really that in this day and age people in Hollywood think it matters so much they'd persuade somebody to hide their sexuality.

I hope this liberates him, he's actually a decent actor so looking forward to his future roles
Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 PM #6
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Yeah I can't see more instances of this happening whilst moguls continue to groom young popstars/actors/models/personalities to identify as straight and pander to the teen girl audience. I would imagine the idea of managing a queer celebrity of some kind just makes them worry "oh he's/she's only going to appeal to the minority now".

Which sucks, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:37 PM #7
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Good for him
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 PM #8
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

Hot, kinda knew anyways because of those pictures he did

Last edited by Samm; 05-05-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
colton, gay, haynes, officially