Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 18-02-2007, 02:29 PM #101

Quote:
Originally posted by rex3
I think decriminalizing it will open up more criminal activities. It would free-up the drug industry. I think that rather than decriminalising it the goverment should find alternative jobs for these prostatutes.

Why dont they get jobs like the rest of ours. Job Centre will help them find better jobs. I dont know how they get into the mess of prostitution. Although i have some sympathy for the pain they go through (rex aint all that bad) I cant help but think some where along the line, they messed up big time, just as drug dealers, burgelers.... and so on.
But the job centre generally wont find them the kind of job that allows them to pick and choose when they work, earn the money they earn!

I am not all for it by any means but if it is going to happen then I am all for making it safer! Whatever their circumstances becoming a prostitute is something that these people choose to do!

Legalizing prostitution would releave a huge burden on our court and prison systems, would also reduce the need for sleezy pimps as women and men would have choices about which employer they would work for. Hundreds of thousands of pounds are wasted from an already depleted pot of money on catching prostitues when surely that money could be re-directed to health care, schools, prison systems etc... rather than on denying these people their rights to earn a living.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 04:53 PM #102
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
Quote:
Originally posted by rex3
I think decriminalizing it will open up more criminal activities. It would free-up the drug industry. I think that rather than decriminalising it the goverment should find alternative jobs for these prostatutes.

Why dont they get jobs like the rest of ours. Job Centre will help them find better jobs. I dont know how they get into the mess of prostitution. Although i have some sympathy for the pain they go through (rex aint all that bad) I cant help but think some where along the line, they messed up big time, just as drug dealers, burgelers.... and so on.
But the job centre generally wont find them the kind of job that allows them to pick and choose when they work, earn the money they earn!

I am not all for it by any means but if it is going to happen then I am all for making it safer! Whatever their circumstances becoming a prostitute is something that these people choose to do!

Legalizing prostitution would releave a huge burden on our court and prison systems, would also reduce the need for sleezy pimps as women and men would have choices about which employer they would work for. Hundreds of thousands of pounds are wasted from an already depleted pot of money on catching prostitues when surely that money could be re-directed to health care, schools, prison systems etc... rather than on denying these people their rights to earn a living.
i see your point, but decriminilising prostetution, will lead to more teenage chavy girls or what ever, getting into it, thinking its ok becuase its legal, and god knows how society will change, it'll probably start being a COOL thing, to be a prostitue... just like guns are cool, for some reason.
rex3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 01:55 PM #103

Your point is a perfectly valid one -but I feel if it were to become legal it would have to be the kind of job that you could not go into until you reach the age of 21! Then at least you will have had time to think about it. I think that a lot of the "chavs" as you call them are only attracted to it just now as it is illegal. I think its stigma is part of its attraction to some, take away that stigma and I feel that numbers will reduce.

I just think it would be narrow minded of me to say "no way" should it be legal. Choices are there to be made by people and I think that they will do this with or without it being legal. Also at the end of the day it is one of the oldest professions in the world and is legal in so many other countries where there is NO evidence that crime increases, more women go into it etc...
Old 19-02-2007, 06:57 PM #104
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01
Your point is a perfectly valid one -but I feel if it were to become legal it would have to be the kind of job that you could not go into until you reach the age of 21! Then at least you will have had time to think about it. I think that a lot of the "chavs" as you call them are only attracted to it just now as it is illegal. I think its stigma is part of its attraction to some, take away that stigma and I feel that numbers will reduce.

I just think it would be narrow minded of me to say "no way" should it be legal. Choices are there to be made by people and I think that they will do this with or without it being legal. Also at the end of the day it is one of the oldest professions in the world and is legal in so many other countries where there is NO evidence that crime increases, more women go into it etc...
i know that there should be a balanced choice here, but i have really thought about this. But i think your right in saying that ... if statistics in other countries show its ok, try it out. Im really 60-40 about this. I just think Britain always has an impact to everything, like were the fatest nation in Europe, the chaviest nation, the most with pregnant teenagers, and our statistics will double if we legalise it, compared to other legalised countries.
rex3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 10:00 PM #105

I can see your concerns Rex but I would also like to see some kind of trial and study to see the impact that legalisation might have! Then fully informed decisions could be made about legalising it.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
debate, legalise, prostitution, serious