Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 31-01-2007, 08:48 PM #26
Team Flack

Team Flack

I don't argee with them generally. But it is circumstances. If a person is not emotionally or finacally ready for a child say as a teenager then yes. It really does depend on the person as well. I know I could never ever have one.
Princess is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:09 PM #27

Favourites:
Strictly 2009: Chris & Ola
I'm a Celeb 2009: Gino D'Acampo

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Lauren
I don't think it should get to the point where abortion is an option. If a female has unprotected sex and there's a chance she may get pregnant when she doesn't want - there's always the pill.
Trust me the pill doesn't work
My sister was on the pill when her baby was conceived
Sophii3x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:13 PM #28
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Originally posted by Sophii3x
Quote:
I don't think it should get to the point where abortion is an option. If a female has unprotected sex and there's a chance she may get pregnant when she doesn't want - there's always the pill.
Oh no! Really?
Hmm, well I suppose there's always condoms, but thats terrible because I know a lot of people who rely on the pill for that, wouldn't it be terrible if they got pregnant without wanting the baby.

Sorry to hear about your sister Soph. Hope it turns out ok in the end.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:17 PM #29

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh no! Really?
Hmm, well I suppose there's always condoms, but thats terrible because I know a lot of people who rely on the pill for that, wouldn't it be terrible if they got pregnant without wanting the baby.

yea a lot of girls go on the pill becuase their lazy and be bothered to ask whoever to wear a condom

B8ut my sister proves that the pill doesn't work 100%.. God my sisters an idiot
Old 31-01-2007, 10:02 PM #30
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I personally wouldn't, actually couldn't, have an abortion.

However, I am pro-choice, and I have no issue with women who do.

I think that a lot of people are careless when it comes to contraception but, I think it's naive to say they take abortion lightly. Most women require counselling after having a termination, and it can take years to get over it. Some women never do.

I would never ask my teenage daughter to have one if she was pregnant (god forbid), but I would support her choice to either terminate or continue with the pregnancy. Again, pro-choice.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 AM #31

I am totally pro-choice. I feel that if a woman/girl becomes pregnant and then decides that she does not want to proceed with the pregnancy for whatever reason she should have the choice to end it.

My daughter has just had the blood test you have when pregnant to determine whether you are high or low risk of having a baby with downs, whatever the outcome I will support my daughter in her decision making. It is long term many people have to think about not just the here and now.

I agree with Stropz when she says that women rarely take it lightly when having an abortion, in fact many women are left traumatised for years following one. This is one of those situations where it would be so easy to judge people!

Getting an abortion isnt that easy there are guidelines and timescales that have to be followed:

In England, Scotland and Wales abortion is regulated by the Abortion Act 1967. It accepts that abortion is justified but only in certain circumstances and before the 24th week of the pregnancy. The Act says that:

· an abortion can legally be carried out if two doctors agree that to continue the pregnancy would put the mother's life at risk or she is at risk of physical or mental injury (which can include serious emotional strain, depression and other forms of mental stress); or,
· two doctors agree that the child is likely to be born with severe mental or physical disability.

An abortion must be carried out before the 24th week of pregnancy, unless a serious risk of life occurs to the mother beyond this period.

If you are under 16 either your parents must give their consent or else the two doctors who agree to the termination must also agree that you are mature enough to understand what their decision means. If the abortion is being carried out after eight weeks then it will be under a general anaesthetic in which case permission may be required from your parents if you are under 16.

The would-be-father (whether married or not) has no legal right to prevent the mother from having an abortion. The decision is hers.

As for the morning after pill both of you were right Kiz and Laura.
The morning-after pill will prevent or delay the release of an egg from the ovary if given prior to ovulation, or it will help prevent the egg from traveling down the fallopian tubes and implanting in the uterus if you have already ovulated. The morning-after pill reduces the chance of getting pregnant; it does NOT cause an abortion
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM #32

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Oh no! Really?

yea a lot of girls go on the pill becuase their lazy and be bothered to ask whoever to wear a condom

B8ut my sister proves that the pill doesn't work 100%.. God my sisters an idiot
The pill is more reliable than the condom in preventing pregnancy. But nothing works 100%. I hope your sister's okay.

I am pro-choice. If abortion was outlawed, it would simply 'go underground' and people would have illegal abortions, which would risk their health.

Also, some people who have abortions would not make good parents, and the baby would have a terrible life.

I also don't think anyone should be forced to have a baby because of a mistake. Obviously, I am not saying that it is the ideal solution, but I think it should be an option. I do think though, that the time limit for abortions should be reduced.

The other thing that people say is "there's always adoption." That's fine - until you realise how many children there are who are in care awaiting adoption, with no chance of ever actually being adopted.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 PM #33

I think it all depends on the circumstance and the person, there is no way it should be made illegal, you cannot force a young woman who has been raped to have the baby...

I don't think adoption is much of a defense of banning it either as the amount of children in care today is massive.

I understand when people say that teenagers especially are using it as though it were contraception but I don't think the answer to that is banning it, I think the answer to that lies, partly, in education so the female does not get pregnant in the first place.

And the pill does work if it is used properly, only a small percentage fall pregnant whilst on the pill.
ttw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:47 PM #34
BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

i have to say that i dont agree on abortion even if they baby is going to be handicapped it is still enititles to a life

And if the mother and father love it then it should be happy
andybigbro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:01 PM #35

And if the mother and father don't love it....?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM #36

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
And if the mother and father don't love it....?
Adoption i suppose
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM #37

But there are so many children in care, who have no chance of being adopted. Only a very small percentage of children who hope to be adopted ever are.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:50 PM #38

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
But there are so many children in care, who have no chance of being adopted. Only a very small percentage of children who hope to be adopted ever are.
I know
I feel sorry for children who are put up for adoption
As you said, not much actually get adopted and they have to grow up in care homes
Old 01-02-2007, 04:52 PM #39
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

Quote:
Quote:
I know
I feel sorry for children who are put up for adoption
As you said, not much actually get adopted and they have to grow up in care homes
Not only grow up in care homes, but once they reach 18 they're put in secure buildings and have curfew and need checks for whoever visits them up until the age of 21. It's diabolical.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:04 PM #40

Quote:
Originally posted by andybigbro
i have to say that i dont agree on abortion even if they baby is going to be handicapped it is still enititles to a life

And if the mother and father love it then it should be happy
That is a very limited opinion that is not really backed up with much argument. Thats like stamping your feet and saying "so there"

Who are we to say people have to bring unwanted children into the world. That removes peoples rights to reproduce, and one thing I am all for is our rights.

I think someone has already said that to make it illegal would force women to have the old fashioned back street type abortion which led to infertitlty, illness and death in some cases. All because they were just to scared to proceed with an unwanted pregnancy.
Sunny_01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 PM #41

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01

If you are under 16 either your parents must give their consent or else the two doctors who agree to the termination must also agree that you are mature enough to understand what their decision means. If the abortion is being carried out after eight weeks then it will be under a general anaesthetic in which case permission may be required from your parents if you are under 16.
But wasn't there a case not so long ago in which a school arranged one of their pupils to have an abortion without her mothers knowledge let alone consent. I was sickened by this - what right do they have to take over and help make childrens/young adult decisions without the parents involved.
It only came out because the girl couldn't bear telling her mum and regretted doing the termination.

The ironic thing was she (the girl) became pregnant again!!!

Have I got this wrong? Maybe she was over 16?

Feral is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM #42

http://education.guardian.co.uk/scho...215653,00.html

Thought so!!!
Feral is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:54 PM #43

Favourites:
BB12 USA: Britney

Favourites:
BB12 USA: Britney

I agree with abortion in every circumstance. I think that if a woman falls pregnant and doesn't want the baby then she should be able to get rid of it. There is already enough unwanted babies in the world without bringing in even more. If abortion wasn't legal and people didn't get the unsafe abortion then there would be so many children who wouldn't be cared for properly and possibly abused.

Also, the 'law' that says who 'fits the criteria' for abortion is crap too because anybody who just doesn't fancy a baby can come to the clinic and tell the doctor that they 'won't be able to cope with a baby and they don't know how they would treat the baby' etc just to fit the 'mentally unstable' criteria and therefore be entitled to an abortion.

I don't think anybody should have to keep a baby they don't want, yeah they made the mistake in most cases but we all make them, they shouldn't be kept with a baby that they don't want IMO.
Legend is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 AM #44

I think abortion is needed for rapes and certain cases but I don't think people should be allowed to have numerous abortions.
GlitterEyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM #45

i dont believe in killing a child at any cost.
people who do this tend to go through a lifetime of regret.
secrets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM #46
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella
GetReadyToFly

Favourites (more):
BB12 USA: Rachel
Dancing on Ice 2010: Danniella

Quote:
Originally posted by Feral
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunny_01

But wasn't there a case not so long ago in which a school arranged one of their pupils to have an abortion without her mothers knowledge let alone consent. I was sickened by this - what right do they have to take over and help make childrens/young adult decisions without the parents involved.
It only came out because the girl couldn't bear telling her mum and regretted doing the termination.

The ironic thing was she (the girl) became pregnant again!!!

Have I got this wrong? Maybe she was over 16?

i read that story, the school nurse sorted out to two pills for her to have, she told her mum after she had she first pill. and she regretted it but had to to have the second pill, i never said why but it said she needed to have it, and her mother was convinced she had the second baby to replace the one she terminated.
Ruth*Star is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 AM #47

Abortion is an individual choice however you have to be 110% sure about having one if you do. It's something most people regret all of there lifes. If I got pregnant there would be absolutely no way I would have one but if you think it's the right decision then go for it. If they made abortion illegal however it would be just like back when they made them illegal the first time and women had them in backalleys and were infertile there whole life. This is your own decision however and it should not be made illegal.
Kristen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM #48

I don't believe people tend to regret it for their whole lives. I think if they have an abortion for the wrong reasons (ie., pressurised into one by partner, family) they will regret it, but if it's for the right reason, then not so much.
Old 16-05-2007, 01:09 PM #49

My views on Abortion are very very strong.

It is wrong. In all circumstances except Rape, that is the only time I think an abortion should be allowed to take place.

I mean I've heard people using the excuse 'I was drunk' Or T'he condom split' and those excuses are pathetic and overused. If you were drunk, had sex and got pregnant then then Man and the Women are both slags! May seem harsh but its true, If the condom split, then theres the morning after pill or maybe people should learn how to put them on properly. If people are willing to have unprotected sex, then they should deal with the consequences. Simple as.

And I really do feel for women that have been raped, and as a result get pregnant, Like I said that is the only case I think abortion is the only option.
Ella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 02:04 PM #50
Z

Z

I agree with Ella's point about rape, the child would probably be despised by the mother as it grew up. Personally I'm pro-choice, I think women should be allowed to abort unwanted children. However, I'm presuming that there are women out there who abuse the system and just don't use protection, safe in the knowledge they can abort the child later. I think that's a terrible view, and more should be done in schools to teach us about the pros and cons of abortion, because I've certainly never been taught about that, and it shows within the group of people I've been growing up with, I know many girls who've had abortions and they're often very childlike themselves; growing up too fast etc.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abortion, debate, serious