Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:06 AM #1
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Default Is there any way we can gamble on whether Britain stays in the EU or leaves?

I was wondering if anyone is aware of how an American can gamble on the vote for whether the UK leaves or stays? Are there any websites that handle gambles like that? The motivation of this is I want to make some quick easy cash because I know "remain" will win 100%. That will either be because more people will legitimately vote to stay (which I suppose is possible) or because there will be voter fraud. Right now I would feel comfortable gambling $500 to $1000 that the outcome will be remain.

Why do I believe this? Over the years too many people have worked too hard both in plain site and behind doors to see this EU superstate come to fruition. If history is any guide it shows us that there is absolutely no way, short of armed conflict, that they would allow the UK to leave. While I absolutely would like to see the UK withdraw from this monster, I know the vote will be "remain" either by legitimate or illegitimate means. I think the next best thing is to make some quick easy cash. So should everyone else reading this if you are smart.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 10-06-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 AM #2
-

-

Yes but the best you're getting is 3/10 which means if you gamble your 500 dallaz, you're only going to get 650 back.

Risking 500 for a 150 profit is just daft. "Trying to buy money" we call it, always ends in tears eventually.

However... Kirk is a gambling man AND he believes in Brexit - perhaps he'll put his money where his mouth is and give you even-money? Kirk? No?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:27 AM #3
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
I was wondering if anyone is aware of how an American can gamble on the vote for whether the UK leaves or stays? Are there any websites that handle gambles like that? The motivation of this is I want to make some quick easy cash because I know "remain" will win 100%. That will either be because more people will legitimately vote to stay (which I suppose is possible) or because there will be voter fraud. Right now I would feel comfortable gambling $500 to $1000 that the outcome will be remain.

Why do I believe this? Over the years too many people have worked too hard both in plain site and behind doors to see this EU superstate come to fruition. If history is any guide it shows us that there is absolutely no way, short of armed conflict, that they would allow the UK to leave. While I absolutely would like to see the UK withdraw from this monster, I know the vote will be "remain" either by legitimate or illegitimate means. I think the next best thing is to make some quick easy cash. So should everyone else reading this if you are smart.
Thanks for the advice but I'm saving my money to bet on Trump shafting the USA for four years.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:59 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes but the best you're getting is 3/10 which means if you gamble your 500 dallaz, you're only going to get 650 back.

Risking 500 for a 150 profit is just daft. "Trying to buy money" we call it, always ends in tears eventually.

However... Kirk is a gambling man AND he believes in Brexit - perhaps he'll put his money where his mouth is and give you even-money? Kirk? No?
No.

I KNOW that Brexit is THE only logical decision that any intelligent, informed and erudite Brit SHOULD make, but the Status Quo - led by 'Sullied' Dave Cameron and his treacherous self-serving henchman - has orchestrated the most comprehensive, devious and complex propaganda campaign that this country has ever witnessed, that I will only bet on a 'Remain' decision.

Is it not your good self who constantly expresses how gullible and ill informed and unintelligent the Great British Public are? and in this case, I am swayed by your contention.

As much as I believe that the result of the 'Referendum' will indeed be to 'Remain' in the EU, I would not entertain those ridiculously prohibitive odds - much better to pile your loot on a Tyson Fury victory in the forthcoming Fury v Klitschko rematch.

Grab the 5/4 currently being offered by bwin.com as the even money previously being offered by all the other bookies has gone - Fury is now generally 10/11 on with the same odds for a Klitschko victory.

Lump on - 11/10 is like being offered FREE money.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 10-06-2016 at 10:00 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:00 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
No.

I KNOW that Brexit is THE only logical decision that any intelligent, informed and erudite Brit SHOULD make, but the Status Quo - led by 'Sullied' Dave Cameron and his treacherous self-serving henchman - has orchestrated the most comprehensive, devious and complex propaganda campaign that this country has ever witnessed, that I will only bet on a 'Remain' decision.

Is it not your good self who constantly expresses how gullible and ill informed and unintelligent the Great British Public are? and in this case, I am swayed by your contention.

As much as I believe that the result of the 'Referendum' will indeed be to 'Remain' in the EU, I would not entertain those ridiculously prohibitive odds - much better to pile your loot on a Tyson Fury victory in the forthcoming Fury v Klitschko rematch.

Grab the 5/4 currently being offered by bwin.com as the even money previously being offered by all the other bookies has gone - Fury is now generally 10/11 on with the same odds for a Klitschko victory.

Lump on - 11/10 is like being offered FREE money.
I am voting remain so I guess that makes me unintelligent and uninformed,that's fine I am glad to be that way.

However the odds for this are ridiculous so I wouldn't now waste money on it although I really do think Kirk, it will be a vote to leave more and more as each day passes now,a very narrow vote probably,which will cause massive constitutional problems likely too in my view.

That is however what I think and expect is more likely to be the end result at this present moment.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:30 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I am voting remain so I guess that makes me unintelligent and uninformed,that's fine I am glad to be that way.

However the odds for this are ridiculous so I wouldn't now waste money on it although I really do think Kirk, it will be a vote to leave more and more as each day passes now,a very narrow vote probably,which will cause massive constitutional problems likely too in my view.

That is however what I think and expect is more likely to be the end result at this present moment.
Not so Joey. You are misinterpretiing what I actually stated.

I stated that:

" I KNOW that Brexit is THE only logical decision that any intelligent, informed and erudite Brit SHOULD make, but the Status Quo - led by 'Sullied' Dave Cameron and his treacherous self-serving henchman - has orchestrated the most comprehensive, devious and complex propaganda campaign that this country has ever witnessed, that I will only bet on a 'Remain' decision."

This does not preclude "intelligent, informed and erudite Brits" from voting 'Remain' - there are plenty who are going to, or who have already done so; yourself and MTVN for example - though in my opinion their choice flies in the face of ALL the evidence and is illogical, so I was NOT insulting anyone or saying that all remain voters are unintelligent, uninformed or not erudite.

I find it interesting though that you feel the result will be Brexit and I feel it will be Remain.

Personally, I hope your intuition proves correct.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM #7

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

I'm all for Brexit but i'd put my money on remain tbh.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:54 PM #8
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:

I find it interesting though that you feel the result will be Brexit and I feel it will be Remain.
I to will be voting remain but think the result will be exit. Its going to be very close, but i think exit will squeak it. A part of me thinks that if such a large proportion wants to be out, we shouldn't be a part of the EU. If its not overwhelmingly supported it shouldn't really be being considered.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 10-06-2016 at 02:56 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 03:26 PM #9
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not so Joey. You are misinterpretiing what I actually stated.

I stated that:

" I KNOW that Brexit is THE only logical decision that any intelligent, informed and erudite Brit SHOULD make, but the Status Quo - led by 'Sullied' Dave Cameron and his treacherous self-serving henchman - has orchestrated the most comprehensive, devious and complex propaganda campaign that this country has ever witnessed, that I will only bet on a 'Remain' decision."

This does not preclude "intelligent, informed and erudite Brits" from voting 'Remain' - there are plenty who are going to, or who have already done so; yourself and MTVN for example - though in my opinion their choice flies in the face of ALL the evidence and is illogical, so I was NOT insulting anyone or saying that all remain voters are unintelligent, uninformed or not erudite.

Personally, I hope your intuition proves correct.

Hi kirk,
I am not finding minds being made up never mind changed Kirk.

Also I have, while out campaigning,found a mood of 'we will see what the day is like or what we are doing' as to voting from those who lean to remain.
Whereas those who wish to leave are determined to vote no matter what to do so.

This campaigning has turned probably far more off than it has engaged and when people don't really know what to do, they are most likely to do nothing.

It is not my desired result obviously but I agree with bitontheslide,I too see a narrow win for to leave now more than just likely.

Last edited by joeysteele; 10-06-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:36 PM #10
User banned

User banned

love all european countries, wonderful people wonderful places, but despise what the eu and the commission itself has become and the damage its doing to economies and small businesses. thats why im a brexitor. im on the fence on immigration at this scale. 333000 a year is a city the size of cardiff. even if they are all amazing people i dont see how we can handle that much of an increase. i do though think we brits are lazy in general and dotn travel enough and exploit the amazing opportunities on our european doorstep. and i do think the pro eu pro cameron pro massive business propoganda will win through especially with the young and also with women more than men
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:04 PM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I to will be voting remain but think the result will be exit. Its going to be very close, but i think exit will squeak it. A part of me thinks that if such a large proportion wants to be out, we shouldn't be a part of the EU. If its not overwhelmingly supported it shouldn't really be being considered.
Interesting BOTS. Last weekend I was in Scarborough, and on the Saurday it was a really hot day, and I sat for about 30 minutes on a bench on Eastborough while my wife trawled the shops (ugh).

From my vantage point I could see two men who were seperated by aproximately 10 metres and one was handing out 'Vote Remain' leaflets and the other 'Vote Leave leaflets' and both were canvassing passersby.

During the time I was observing, the considerable majority of by passers were stopping at the 'Leave' canvasser, talking with him and taking leaflets.

Only a few people patronised the 'Remain' canvasser.

It may not mean anything or it may be reflective of the General public's intentions, I don't know, but I did later talk to the 'Leave' canvasser and he said that NO ONE he had spoken with, during the three weeks he had been canvassing, wanted to remain.

I still feel that the result will be 'Remain'.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:50 PM #12
-

-

Quote:
I find it interesting though that you feel the result will be Brexit and I feel it will be Remain..
That's good old British pessimism for you!

Anyway, I think the result will be close with a possibility of edging into Brexit and, as Joey suggests, I feel that this will be in large part down to differences in voter turnout. There will be a very strong 90%+ turnout for "Brexit" supporters and more likely a 50-70% turnout for the rest, and this will skew the vote significantly. By nature, people who seek change are more likely to show up on the day than those who are happy with the status quo. One of the many flaws of democracy, sadly, that means voting numbers do not necessarily represent majority opinion.

I personally think we're damned either way. The EU is hugely flawed, and there are massive looming problems there. However I fully believe that leaving the EU will spark it's eventual dismantlement... And that the end of the EU will leave a vacuum that will lead very quickly to a slide into global governance... The exact opposite of what most Brexit voters are looking for, ironically.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-06-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:00 PM #13
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
That's good old British pessimism for you!

Anyway, I think the result will be close with a possibility of edging into Brexit and, as Joey suggests, I feel that this will be in large part down to differences in voter turnout. There will be a very strong 90%+ turnout for "Brexit" supporters and more likely a 50-70% turnout for the rest, and this will skew the vote significantly. By nature, people who seek change are more likely to show up on the day than those who are happy with the status quo. One of the many flaws of democracy, sadly, that means voting numbers do not necessarily represent majority opinion.

I personally think we're damned either way. The EU is hugely flawed, and there are massive looming problems there. However I fully believe that leaving the EU will spark it's eventual dismantlement... And that the end of the EU will leave a vacuum that will lead very quickly to a slide into global governance... The exact opposite of what most Brexit voters are looking for, ironically.
A good observation there TS and a lot to think about too.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:06 PM #14
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB14: Gina
CBB 11: Speidi

Banned

Favourites (more):

I have yet to come across ANYONE in the real world who are voting to remain. Everyone i have spoken to to date are all voting to leave the failed EU.
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:09 PM #15
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyuk123 View Post
I have yet to come across ANYONE in the real world who are voting to remain. Everyone i have spoken to to date are all voting to leave the failed EU.
I think that reflects more on the people you know and where you live than anything else

(just to give a flip side of the argument, I'm all for remain but would 100% bet on a leave vote if I were going to)

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM #16
Banned

Favourites (more):

Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
I think that reflects more on the people you know and where you live than anything else

(just to give a flip side of the argument, I'm all for remain but would 100% bet on a leave vote if I were going to)
I am not just talking about people i know.
Johnnyuk123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:14 PM #17
like the boys

Favourites (more):

like the boys

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyuk123 View Post
I am not just talking about people i know.
How often do you have in-depth "real life" political discussions with strangers?

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
britain, eu, gamble, leaves, stays