Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 25-06-2016, 07:42 AM #1
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Default What lessons do the EU need to learn from "Brexit"?

It's a broad question and I am curious to know what posters (both Remainers and Leavers) think the lessons of the referendum are?

Do not click on spoiler because you will have the misfortune of reading what this dude thinks the lesson is.

Spoiler:

The lesson is this: you can't insulate yourself from the will of the people you are supposed to represent. At least not forever. And I think the writing is on the wall that the EU must either change or die. The best thing the EU could do to save itself right now would be for all of the leaders to watch the documentary "Brexit" on youtube because it sums up pretty effectively why people don't like the EU. And if the EU were to make real changes perhaps in a few years time most of the British people might actually want back in.

The problem is this: neither Europeans nor Americans want to be overrun with people from a foreign culture that has a notoriously bad habit of not integrating and sometimes do not accept the values of the society they are moving to. There were cities in Europe that were told one day that they would have to accommodate thousands of these refugees, in some cases doubling the size of the city. I know this because I have seen the videos on youtube. The local officials of these cities, I think it is obvious, go along with this not out of the goodness of their hearts but because that is what the elite in Europe wanted (for whatever reason). Cities in Europe are changing forever and people are mad. I am mad and I don't even live there. But instead of listening to their constituents the EU seem to dismiss the ones that openly complain as "racists" and are, amazingly, colluding with facebook and other social media to censor them.

If there is one lesson in American history that I would wish to pass on to the EU it would be a little incident that took place in the 1830s. Everyone knows about the American Civil War in the 1860s but few people know that there was a similar secession crisis that took place in 1832 called The Nullification Crisis. South Carolina was going through a rough economic time and people there blamed their plight on the US trade policy of high tariffs which they saw as protecting the northern industrial part of the US at the expense of their economy which was more agricultural based. They threatened to leave the Union because of this issue. The federal government did not insult or try to censor those in South Carolina. They did not try to enlist academics to lecture them on how high tariffs were good for South Carolina. They compromised and the tariffs were reduced to the point where South Carolina was happy. Cooler heads prevailed and it bought peace for a generation.

The issue today was not tariffs but migrants. The EU should have listened to what the people were saying and they are the ones most responsible for Britain leaving. And if they don't start listening to the people of Europe more countries will leave the EU.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 25-06-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, eu, learn, lessons