Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-06-2016, 09:33 AM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Oh come on just admit you take tongue in cheek from some members in SD more than others
That's not their tongues...

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 09:34 AM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
You want light, try chat and games.
How dare you.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:40 AM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Oh come on, this is a huge leap. It's just coincidence? The amount of casual racism I've heard since Friday is staggering, from people I'd never have expected it from. I've had a previously perfectly nice old gentleman start ranting about a black customer that it's because of "these Islam extremists" that Brexit is a good thing, we can "get rid of all that lot" finally. The other customer is a Christian from Africa... And genuinely one of our most laid back and friendly customers.

Just coincidence, I think not. The attitudes are clearly not new, they've been festering away in these people's grubby little heads all along, they just now feel like they have permission to pour their filth all over the streets.

As always though I'm quite happy with that. Makes it easier to know how to react to people when they're openly being scum rather than hiding it away.
As you say though.Brexit did'nt make these people racist.They almost certainly already were and would have been without Brexit.I don't think the referendum made people racist so finding a racist incident and titling it 'Racism on the rise in UK following EU referendum' is blatent propaganda to get people to read.Normal tolerant people aren't turning racist because we had a referendum.These people already existed long before.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 09:51 AM #29
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
As you say though.Brexit did'nt make these people racist.They almost certainly already were and would have been without Brexit.I don't think the referendum made people racist so finding a racist incident and titling it 'Racism on the rise in UK following EU referendum' is blatent propaganda to get people to read.Normal tolerant people aren't turning racist because we had a referendum.These people already existed long before.
Open free-range racism on the rise should be just as concerning, though. It starts with people feeling bolstered in saying whatever they want, leads to further dehumanisation, and that inevitably leads to violence. It's a very slippery slope and tbh "Brexit" supporters should be as keen as everyone else (if not moreso) to stamp it out quickly... It's a strong indicator to the world that the Brexit result is borne of xenophobia and isolationism and for a country that is soon going to be scrabbling for "new trade deals", that dent in international perception is a major problem.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:54 AM #30

Looks like the worm has turned.
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 09:59 AM #31
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
Looks like the worm has turned.
What worm? Robbie the Racism worm? Are you suggesting that this is a good thing?
Old 26-06-2016, 10:11 AM #32

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Perhaps it is not so much on the rise but about to come out into the open more.
Racists have very small minds so I can see how they think a vote for Brexit makes it ok to air their true feelings....it needs to be stamped out, harshly.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 10:13 AM #33
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Oh come on just admit you take tongue in cheek from some members in SD more than others
You mean tongue in arse cheek
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 10:14 AM #34
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

We are all racist to a point no matter how much you say you are not.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:16 AM #35

What race are polish people? I saw there was an incident yesterday when someone put up signs telling polish people to go home. Is that racist?
Old 26-06-2016, 10:17 AM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Open free-range racism on the rise should be just as concerning, though. It starts with people feeling bolstered in saying whatever they want, leads to further dehumanisation, and that inevitably leads to violence. It's a very slippery slope and tbh "Brexit" supporters should be as keen as everyone else (if not moreso) to stamp it out quickly... It's a strong indicator to the world that the Brexit result is borne of xenophobia and isolationism and for a country that is soon going to be scrabbling for "new trade deals", that dent in international perception is a major problem.
Brexit supporters in the main probably are just as keen to stamp it out.There are racist people who will obviously jump on the referendum to vent their views but that does'nt represent all or even most of the leave side.
I don't think the Brexit result is 'borne of xenophobia and isolationism'.There will obviously be elements who voted for it for those reasons but those elements are a minority.
Having the ability to decide who you want to enter your borders is not xenophobic and nobody is saying we will be isolated(well apart from remain scaremongerers of course).
I also don't think that believing that a country's infrastructure can only take so much and there has to be an upper limit somewhere is xenophobic.No government has been able to build enough housing and just piling in more and more people only takes that situation further out of reach.Mass uncontrollable immigration just adds unnecessary pressure and is not the answer.That is not xenophobic rhetoric it's just the truth.Brexit makes controlling the numbers more possible than it was.Atleast now there is'nt a whole continent with free reign to come in with us having no say of who or how many.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:18 AM #37
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Racism is all around us, there are people that will see the eu vote as a green light to get mouthy about race but if you look at the bigger picture nothing will really change.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:19 AM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
We are all racist to a point no matter how much you say you are not.
The crucial distinction to make is between hating another race and not wanting them to take over your country.

The irony is that a lot of the people who come here actually hate us.

I also notice that a lot of these "anti-racists" say that they hate living in a racist britain and want to move to canada or australia. Why is it that they never want to move to pakistan?

Did you see the "anti-fascists" protesting yesterday. They were protesting about a fair and open democratic referendum. The very definition of fascism.

I take no notice tbh.

Last edited by ThriceShy; 26-06-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:24 AM #39
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Perhaps it is not so much on the rise but about to come out into the open more.
Racists have very small minds so I can see how they think a vote for Brexit makes it ok to air their true feelings....it needs to be stamped out, harshly.
This for me.

I don't think, and hope not, that the vast majority of the UK is racist,however there are elements that and events such as this EU referendum, that have helped bring more unacceptable terminology to the front.
Some have gone along with it unfortunately.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 10:26 AM #40

None of this is new. The majority of people in this country have always had these views. It just seems that the little student snowflakes, who are protected by their little liberal echo chambers in universities, have never been exposed to it before.

I told you that a majority of people feel this way and you didn't listen. This is a democracy and the majority win.

Tough titties.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:27 AM #41
-

-

Quote:
Brexit supporters in the main probably are just as keen to stamp it out.There are racist people who will obviously jump on the referendum to vent their views but that does'nt represent all or even most of the leave side.
I don't think the Brexit result is 'borne of xenophobia and isolationism'.There will obviously be elements who voted for it for those reasons but those elements are a minority.
Having the ability to decide who you want to enter your borders is not xenophobic and nobody is saying we will be isolated(well apart from remain scaremongerers of course).
I also don't think that believing that a country's infrastructure can only take so much and there has to be an upper limit somewhere is xenophobic.No government has been able to build enough housing and just piling in more and more people only takes that situation further out of reach.Mass uncontrollable immigration just adds unnecessary pressure and is not the answer.That is not xenophobic rhetoric it's just the truth.Brexit makes controlling the numbers more possible than it was.Atleast now there is'nt a whole continent with free reign to come in with us having no say of who or how many.
It's doesn't matter if it truly *is* xenophobic or isolationist, though, if that perception starts to creep out internationally, the truth is irrelevant. These people, though a minority, are shouting the loudest and that will be a major issue... Its all about appearances.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 26-06-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:33 AM #42

Quote:
What worm? Robbie the Racism worm? Are you suggesting that this is a good thing?
I’m a brexiteer and I certainly don’t think it’s a good thing. The ignorance I’ve heard coming out of some people’s mouths has disappointed me but not surprised me because we have had years of right wing propaganda trying to educate the uneducated. We have been played by the trash tabloids and channel 4 into believing immigrants are the cause of our crumbling Britain. We’ve watched the blue collar pretentious middle class turn against the working class and the working class turn against the destitute and whilst we were all fighting with one another, the Tories were doing their dirty business unhindered.

Of course false promises were made to get people to vote Brexit. I knew they were lies, I voiced my opinion about those lies even though I wanted out of the EU. There are some brexiteers on here who are going to be woefully disappointed because even if they are still clinging on to false hopes now, they will eventually discover they were duped.

This is why we can’t support pathetic creatures like BoJo or Kipper; two men who allowed, even encouraged a believe in a white alternative Britain. Shame on them for supporting this freedom of speech which has created untold grief to the hard working immigrants of this country.

I believe Britain will be better for leaving the EU but I can comfort myself in the FACT that immigration will still be a core benefit to our economy.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:39 AM #43

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I’m a brexiteer and I certainly don’t think it’s a good thing. The ignorance I’ve heard coming out of some people’s mouths has disappointed me but not surprised me because we have had years of right wing propaganda trying to educate the uneducated. We have been played by the trash tabloids and channel 4 into believing immigrants are the cause of our crumbling Britain. We’ve watched the blue collar pretentious middle class turn against the working class and the working class turn against the destitute and whilst we were all fighting with one another, the Tories were doing their dirty business unhindered.

Of course false promises were made to get people to vote Brexit. I knew they were lies, I voiced my opinion about those lies even though I wanted out of the EU. There are some brexiteers on here who are going to be woefully disappointed because even if they are still clinging on to false hopes now, they will eventually discover they were duped.

This is why we can’t support pathetic creatures like BoJo or Kipper; two men who allowed, even encouraged a believe in a white alternative Britain. Shame on them for supporting this freedom of speech which has created untold grief to the hard working immigrants of this country.

I believe Britain will be better for leaving the EU but I can comfort myself in the FACT that immigration will still be a core benefit to our economy.
Bojo yes is a clown.Don't forget though that without Farage you wouldn't have been able to vote Brexit.I admire his persona and what he managed to do against all odds.However for me it is now time to move on from UKIP.They served their purpose.I agree that immigration is a benefit but it needs to be controlled and planned for rather than being left unchecked.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 26-06-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:46 AM #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
The crucial distinction to make is between hating another race and not wanting them to take over your country.
But they are not taking over the country. That's just a false belief system.
Quote:
The irony is that a lot of the people who come here actually hate us.
That’s what people like you want to believe. I live in one of the most multi cultural boroughs of London. I have friends and work colleagues from all over the globe but I have never been shown a cold shoulder because I’m British.

Quote:
I also notice that a lot of these "anti-racists" say that they hate living in a racist britain and want to move to canada or australia. Why is it that they never want to move to pakistan?
Australia is one of the most racist countries in the world! I think most people are aware of that.

Quote:
Did you see the "anti-fascists" protesting yesterday. They were protesting about a fair and open democratic referendum. The very definition of fascism.

I take no notice tbh.
It would be very undemocratic to have another referendum.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:48 AM #45
-

-

Quote:
Bojo yes is a clown.Don't forget though that without Farage you wouldn't have been able to vote Brexit.I admire his persona and what he managed to do against all odds.However for me it is now time to move on from UKIP.They served their purpose.I agree that immigration is a benefit but it needs to be controlled and planned for rather than being left unchecked.
I fear you're going to be one of those disappointed Monkey; the big Brexit faces have ALREADY admitted that immigration numbers "probably won't" decrease. At all.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:53 AM #46

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I fear you're going to be one of those disappointed Monkey; the big Brexit faces have ALREADY admitted that immigration numbers "probably won't" decrease. At all.
'Probably won't' is a better alternative to 'never can be though' and atleast we can now hold our government accountable for immigration rather than an organisation run by people we never elected or asked for and have no influence at all over.
PS i'm not one of those people who voted Brexit solely on immigration.
Old 26-06-2016, 10:56 AM #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
But they are not taking over the country. That's just a false belief system.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...attacks-london

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-Muslims.html

Quote:
That’s what people like you want to believe. I live in one of the most multi cultural boroughs of London. I have friends and work colleagues from all over the globe but I have never been shown a cold shoulder because I’m British.
Have you had muslims trying to force sharia law on you, like these guys?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...attacks-london

Quote:
Australia is one of the most racist countries in the world! I think most people are aware of that.
No they aren't.

Quote:
It would be very undemocratic to have another referendum.
I agree.
Old 26-06-2016, 11:03 AM #48

This was inevitable that this was going to happen once the leave campaigners won. The main gripe about being in Europe is immigration and the fact that we want control of our own borders and to keep as many of them out!

It's just like the rabies disease and bringing animals into the UK without quarantine. Now just imagine if Europe had control and their decision was that we bring millions of animals back without quarantine and we had to do as they say as we have to bow down to them and their decisions, well basically we would have rabid animals running about everywhere.

People feel strongly about immigration so racism and xenophobia is real and present and those who do live here who are not British will have to get ready for a sign like that and a whole lot more.
microscope is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 11:08 AM #49
Banned

Banned

Not surprising, the extreme elements (IE not all of the Brexit voters, so calm your tits) of Brexit feel their actions are vindicated by the results. Racism is going to be a bigger problem going forward because the racists feel enabled by the vote to spout their bull****.

Just another glorious side effect of Leave winning. Has anything good come from voting out yet? Racism's on the rise, all of the campaign promises have been dropped in less then a week and the world hates us. Brilliant job UK, really well done.

Last edited by Tom4784; 26-06-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 11:11 AM #50

Quote:
Are you talking about EU migration? because entrants needing visas are very heavily scrutinized by our immigration system. A friend of mine has been engaged to an African American for four years and for four years she’s been trying to get him over here without success. He’s been allowed to visit Britain but he’s not allowed to stay for anything other than a short holiday and its the same for her going to the U.S.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 26-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
eu, racism, referendum, rise, uk