Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 18-11-2016, 08:41 AM #426

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Deadline is November 25th.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 08:56 AM #427

An extra month of Halloween (as it should be) Thanks Cal

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:39 AM #428

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Old 18-11-2016, 08:56 PM #429
-

-

Hurry up and review Halloween Jamie!!! *slaps*
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:01 PM #430
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will. View Post
You're Next (2011)

10/10

Quote:
Halloween (1978)

9/10
Old 18-11-2016, 09:02 PM #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
Hurry up and review Halloween Jamie!!! *slaps*
I still need to watch the last 30 mins of it but it's probably not going to be glowing so don't perch yourself

Old 18-11-2016, 09:05 PM #432
-

-

Not the last 30 mins when it gets good

And if it's a negative review then don't bother!
Old 18-11-2016, 09:09 PM #433

It won't be negative, just not amazing... maybe like a 7 or an 8 (depending on the last 30 mins ofc)

Old 18-11-2016, 09:10 PM #434
-

-

It deserves a 10 alone for Jamie Lee Curtis and PJ Soles imo
Old 18-11-2016, 09:11 PM #435
-

-

Oh and Donald Pleasence

Last edited by Jason.; 18-11-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 18-11-2016, 09:11 PM #436
Namaste

Namaste

Quote:
I love the rightful ending to the Halloween franchise.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:11 PM #437
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie! View Post
I love the rightful ending to the Halloween franchise.
Old 20-11-2016, 09:14 AM #438

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
It won't be negative, just not amazing... maybe like a 7 or an 8 (depending on the last 30 mins ofc)
Old 25-11-2016, 12:30 PM #439

Halloween - 7.5

It's probably the most iconic film on the list so I feel bad for the relatively low score (awaits abuse from Jason and Cal) but I just didn't enjoy it that much tbh. I have tons of respect for it for it's impact though. I mean without Halloween there might not have been Scream, and so possibly the late 90's horror revival... and without Scream there wouldn't have been Scary Movie ... and without Scary Movie then Anna Faris probably wouldn't have happened in which case 'The House Bunny' might not have happened either So Halloween being directly responsible for The House Bunny obviously makes it an important classic! In all seriousness though it's impact on the genre is undeniable, and I found it watchable enough, it just didn't strike any chord with me personally beyond that.

Things that I did like about it though, the opening where you see the murder take place but only realise afterwards it was a child that committed it, was really chilling. The performances were great (especially considering the lack of experience from most of the main cast). The music. The direction (in particular the many first-person shots worked really well).

Near the end though when she finds the bodies and they start to inexplicably pop out at her I couldn't help but laugh and I found the whole sequence a bit silly. And when Michael has a clear shot to stab Laurie when he's standing behind her but he completely misses and just tears her sleeve a bit I dunno I mean it's not like she even moved or anything so again I just found it a bit silly. They're very little things though and I'm just being picky, there was nothing I particularly or majorly disliked about it, like I say it's just that there isn't a lot I particularly loved about it either.

Old 25-11-2016, 12:49 PM #440

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - 3/10

Just completely average/below average tbh. I don't think Leatherface is a particularly interesting character. Ooh he has a bad skin condition... and that's why he chops people up with a chainsaw (and literally none of his family care lmao). I get that he's just meant to be a psychopath (as well as his family) but it's that we're supposed to buy into it all which is probably my main problem with it - because at best it's lazy storytelling and at worst it's a perpetuation of negative stereotypes of southern America.

There's a reason it's set in Texas and it's not because of the killings it's supposedly (and tenuously) based around. Give the characters a southern drawl and it's easier to just accept that they're mentally ill/backwards/slow without much of an explanation? The stereotype exists and maybe I'm making too much of it because it's probably nothing more than laziness but yeah, it doesn't get to use the excuse of being a remake for its laziness or reliance on negative stereotypes to cover plot holes because modern day Hollywood should be different to 1970's Hollywood in that respect. And even regardless of that, it still could have taken the premise of the original and done something interesting/new with it, but because it doesn't it's just a pointless retread for the sake of cash grabbing. And I wouldn't even mind all of that so much if it had something else to offer like interesting characters, humour, etc? But it doesn't.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, and perhaps that's the point, that your not meant to think and just take it for what it is, and as a mindless body parts gore fest it does it's job (and I get the appeal of Jessica Biel running around in a wet T-shirt), but yeah it doesn't really offer anything more than that imo. I did enjoy the scene where the policeman is coaxing the guy to reenact the girls suicide though (and Milo from 24 is in it <3 so it's not all bad).

Old 25-11-2016, 01:04 PM #441

You're Next - 9/10

I'd never seen this before and I really enjoyed it! Erin was excellent and I'd say is probably now one of my favourite horror heroines ever. I loved the dark humour in it, and the mix of that and the scares was perfect.

I like the fact that unlike most 'masked killer' horrors, you got to see the people behind the masks and it happens quite early on really, and you see their human side, rather than them just being killing machines. Like when one of them finds that his brother was killed and has a bit of a breakdown. Then we see his face and his anger before he pulls his mask back down to come after Erin. It's something you don't always get in slasher films and I really appreciated it. They could have easily kept the killers faceless and without personality, and there's a lot of benefit in doing that which films like Scream show, when it's a whodunit for example, but they pulled it all off really well. And the reveal of the 2 family members being involved was also great. I've seen some negative reviews and people saying it was predictable, but it took me by surprise and the way they did it worked much better and was more satisfying for me than if I'd known someone in the family was involved and had been trying to guess who it was. Oh and the reveal of Erin's boyfriend being involved too was great! I'd completely forgotten about him by that point so I didn't suspect it at all.

It has some flaws, particularly the unreal-ism in some of the family members reactions to the deaths like Cal mentioned. I can kind of forgive that though because I suppose the film might have lost something had it been bogged down with showing the characters grieving, and it would have been difficult for them not to portray the characters as family members with the motive being inheritance, so it's not something that effects my score personally or something that effected my enjoyment. And I suppose the motive itself is something that's been done a million times already but an overly complex plot would have stopped the film from being as fun as it was to watch so I don't mind that either.
Overall it was just incredibly enjoyable and one that I'd happily watch again.

I loved the ending and I've since read ideas that the makers had for a sequel which sound great, although unfortunately it's unlikely to be made as this one wasn't a big enough hit. It's a shame because as well as being a great film on it's own, it would also work as a great set up for a franchise involving Erin, and what she becomes because of her past and how the events in this film effect her </3
For anyone that's interested I read that the sequel would have involved her being transported to jail when the van she's in is attacked and her and the other female prisoners are forced to hide in a nearby meth lab (wtf ) and fight off the attackers/get killed off etc, and it would have been more of a straight up action movie, which Erin's character is perfectly suited to imo.

Old 25-11-2016, 01:11 PM #442

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Thank you very much for your reviews Jamie, since it was like a month ago I can't recall if that's you finished or not? Have you completed the countdown now?
Old 25-11-2016, 01:17 PM #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
Thank you very much for your reviews Jamie, since it was like a month ago I can't recall if that's you finished or not? Have you completed the countdown now?
Yep that's me finished now! Thanks for doing this btw Cal and everyone, I've loved reading everyone else's opinions and sharing my own, and discovering some classics that I never knew existed/might not have watched if it wasn't for people recommending them, 'Trick R Treat' and 'You're Next' in particular, as well as revisiting some of my all time faves like The Shining and Carrie

My scores:
Carrie (1976) - 10
The Shining (1980) - 9
Trick R Treat (2007) - 9
You're Next (2011) - 9
Halloween (1978) - 7.5
Jeepers Creepers (2001) - 7.5
Cherry Falls (2000) - 7
The Hills Have Eyes (2006) - 6
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) - 3

Last edited by Jamie89; 25-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 25-11-2016, 01:19 PM #444

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Jamie is the fifth person to complete the countdown.

I have the scores now but I need to work out some stuff before I do the reveal later tonight?
Old 25-11-2016, 02:25 PM #445
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Halloween - 7.5

It's probably the most iconic film on the list so I feel bad for the relatively low score (awaits abuse from Jason and Cal) but I just didn't enjoy it that much tbh. I have tons of respect for it for it's impact though. I mean without Halloween there might not have been Scream, and so possibly the late 90's horror revival... and without Scream there wouldn't have been Scary Movie ... and without Scary Movie then Anna Faris probably wouldn't have happened in which case 'The House Bunny' might not have happened either So Halloween being directly responsible for The House Bunny obviously makes it an important classic! In all seriousness though it's impact on the genre is undeniable, and I found it watchable enough, it just didn't strike any chord with me personally beyond that.

Things that I did like about it though, the opening where you see the murder take place but only realise afterwards it was a child that committed it, was really chilling. The performances were great (especially considering the lack of experience from most of the main cast). The music. The direction (in particular the many first-person shots worked really well).

Near the end though when she finds the bodies and they start to inexplicably pop out at her I couldn't help but laugh and I found the whole sequence a bit silly. And when Michael has a clear shot to stab Laurie when he's standing behind her but he completely misses and just tears her sleeve a bit I dunno I mean it's not like she even moved or anything so again I just found it a bit silly. They're very little things though and I'm just being picky, there was nothing I particularly or majorly disliked about it, like I say it's just that there isn't a lot I particularly loved about it either.
Jealousy imo that you're called Jamie but are not THE Jamie (Lee Curtis)

(or Jamie Lloyd tbh)
Old 25-11-2016, 02:33 PM #446
-

-

Jamie, if you're fan of the post-Scream horror resurgence era you should check out Halloween H20 imo (if you already haven't). They practically recycle the Scream score and it has teens.
Old 25-11-2016, 02:57 PM #447

Quote:
Jealousy imo that you're called Jamie but are not THE Jamie (Lee Curtis)

(or Jamie Lloyd tbh)
I dream that I look in the mirror and see Jamie Legend Curtis looking back at me, but alas!

Quote:
Jamie, if you're fan of the post-Scream horror resurgence era you should check out Halloween H20 imo (if you already haven't). They practically recycle the Scream score and it has teens.
Oh I love H20! I was going to mention it in my review but I forgot. I agree it copies Scream but I think they do it really well so I don't mind (and tbf Scream owes Halloween so it's fine). I've seen Resurrection too but the less said about that the better!

Old 25-11-2016, 03:29 PM #448

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Omg I never noticed that about them not putting burns on Michael's hands.
Old 25-11-2016, 03:43 PM #449

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

HINTS:
There's a tie for one position.
The trend of the earlier on films doing the best is flipped on it's head in some instances.
2 films made before 2000 made the top 5.
Old 25-11-2016, 03:48 PM #450

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

In last position and finishing 8th is...

Spoiler:

Cherry Falls (2000)

It scored 37.5 out of 60, achieving 62.5% of its possible score.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
1976, 1980, 2000, 2006, 2016, 7 or page, carrie, cherry, closed, countdown, creepers, eyes, falls, films, halloween, hills, jeepers, open, page, revealed, shining, suggestions, tibb, top, vote