Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 16-09-2016, 12:10 AM #26

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I can't wait to see how people try to blame the black child for his own murder while vindicating the presumably white killers.

It's obviously the child's fault for being killed for having a perfectly legal toy gun and not the presumably white officers' for not being competent enough to assess the situation properly before going trigger happy on the child.
I think it must be very difficult to police in a country where guns are so easily accessible and it's easy to point fingers at the establishment. When it comes down to it and someone pulls a gun it's probably a split second decision and it's them or you in your head. I very much doubt it has much to do with being 'trigger happy. Not all of these incidents are deliberate or premeditated and I can't imagine there is much time to see how old the person who appears to pull the gun is, or indeed if it's a real gun. The real problem is the NFA and the US gun laws.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 16-09-2016 at 12:11 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:35 AM #27
Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Jemal

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

#BLM
Gstar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:46 AM #28
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
I think it must be very difficult to police in a country where guns are so easily accessible and it's easy to point fingers at the establishment. When it comes down to it and someone pulls a gun it's probably a split second decision and it's them or you in your head. I very much doubt it has much to do with being 'trigger happy. Not all of these incidents are deliberate or premeditated and I can't imagine there is much time to see how old the person who appears to pull the gun is, or indeed if it's a real gun. The real problem is the NFA and the US gun laws.
My sympathy lies with the child whose life was ended before it truly began. I don't give the slightest **** about these officers. It was their incompetence that stole this child's life.

I lost sympathy for the police when incidents like this became a regular occurrence, it happens every other ****ing week so I think it's more than fair to blame the establishment because something is very wrong in the US when it comes to the police and far too many people are content with sticking their heads into the sand because it's black people who are the victims. If these officers shot a white child then they'd be hung out to dry and the people who think BLM is a joke and that there isn't an issue would be screaming out for blood and demanding a change.

Gun laws don't change the fact that these officers are at best, incompetent or what worst, racist and incompetent. Either way, they are incompetent and shouldn't have a badge and a gun if they shoot first and ask questions later. Guns are a last resort for officers to defend themselves or others, it's not an introduction. Pretty much all of these incidents have been a result of these moron officers thinking they are Dirty Harry and the system protects them.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:50 AM #29
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
My sympathy lies with the child whose life was ended before it truly began. I don't give the slightest **** about these officers. It was their incompetence that stole this child's life.

I lost sympathy for the police when incidents like this became a regular occurrence, it happens every other ****ing week so I think it's more than fair to blame the establishment because something is very wrong in the US when it comes to the police and far too many people are content with sticking their heads into the sand because it's black people who are the victims. If these officers shot a white child then they'd be hung out to dry and the people who think BLM is a joke and that there isn't an issue would be screaming out for blood and demanding a change.

Gun laws don't change the fact that these officers are at best, incompetent or what worst, racist and incompetent. Either way, they are incompetent and shouldn't have a badge and a gun if they shoot first and ask questions later. Guns are a last resort for officers to defend themselves or others, it's not an introduction. Pretty much all of these incidents have been a result of these moron officers thinking they are Dirty Harry and the system protects them.
I understand what you're saying Dezzy, and I've normally agreed with you on the other cases of black kids being killed by Police, but this kid shouldn't be robbing and then holding out a Toy Gun with a lazer being pointed out at The Police, no wonder they thought he had a real Gun with the lazer coming out of it.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 12:55 AM #30
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I understand what you're saying Dezzy, and I've normally agreed with you on the other cases of black kids being killed by Police, but this kid shouldn't be robbing and then holding out a Toy Gun with a lazer being pointed out at The Police, no wonder they thought he had a real Gun with the lazer coming out of it.
Please point out the part where it says that these kids were responsible for the robbery.
Old 16-09-2016, 01:14 AM #31

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Please point out the part where it says that these kids were responsible for the robbery.
I thought I read that The Police was chasing him so I was assuming that a kid at his age might've been robbing.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 02:36 AM #32

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:

So you think the officer should just wait and let someone shoot him? What's he supposed to do when someone pulls a gun? . What about his family and his kids? You talk as if there is an hour for them to evaluate a situation. It's seconds. We are lucky we don't live in country where every potential crime has guns involved.

It's always a tragedy when someone dies but every case isn't the same and the person who is shot isn't always doing the right thing. If they had tasers instead of guns chances are everyone lives to see another day.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 16-09-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 16-09-2016, 02:46 AM #33
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
So you think the officer should just wait and let someone shoot him? What's he supposed to do when someone pulls a gun?
Preferably not shoot a child as a first response. Preferably they'd assess the situation before they decide they want to have a target practice session with a live target. Preferably they'd do their ****ing jobs competently but that seems way too much to ask.

Police Officers should calm situations down, not incite them. If these officers weren't woefully incompetent at their jobs then they could have ended this situation peacefully without violence but, as usual with these ****ing terrible muderous officers that give the rest of the force a bad name, they went in all guns blazing.
Old 16-09-2016, 02:52 AM #34

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I thought I read that The Police was chasing him so I was assuming that a kid at his age might've been robbing.
It said in the article 3 guys had been trying to rob with a gun, the police found 3 fitting the description, 2 ran, one pulled a gun.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 16-09-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 16-09-2016, 02:59 AM #35

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Preferably not shoot a child as a first response. Preferably they'd assess the situation before they decide they want to have a target practice session with a live target. Preferably they'd do their ****ing jobs competently but that seems way too much to ask.

Police Officers should calm situations down, not incite them. If these officers weren't woefully incompetent at their jobs then they could have ended this situation peacefully without violence but, as usual with these ****ing terrible muderous officers that give the rest of the force a bad name, they went in all guns blazing.
Where does all this assessment time come from when a guy pulls a gun on you? It might be dark, he might be tall, how can you tell he's a child? It's a realistic looking weapon do you have time to wonder is it real or fake? I don't think you are considering the reality of those kinds or situations. It's far from clear cut and the colour of his skin is probably the last thing on the officers mind, he's probably looking down the barrel of that gun.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 16-09-2016, 03:16 AM #36
Banned

Banned

I'd personally would not corner someone if I believed they had a gun since that would trigger a fight or flight response. Surely the better action would have been to call for backup if they believed the suspect was armed.

Given that they released the survivor, it's likely that they were both innocent and made to feel like they had no choice but to run. This situation likely came about because the officers inflamed the situation.
Old 16-09-2016, 05:58 AM #37
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I think that there is something basically and extremely wrong with a police system where a suspect in a robbery/or attempted robbery is shot dead as an apparent first course of action...but that's not the thing for me because I can see how it was a difficult call for the police officer in this case.../a weapon was being pulled etc so I don't think racial profiling...but I can still understand 'black lives matter' with this because who is Tyree King..?...he was a 13yr old child who was just shot dead but I've struggled to find anything about him...where are the photographs in his school uniform/with his childhood friends/with his family/a birthday photograph of him..?...who is he...?...it seems maybe just 'some black kid with a BB gun who should have known better'...I just can't help but feel that if he was white, there wouldn't be a struggle in finding things about him/childhood photographs about him etc...whatever happened, where did it all go wrong/this is Tyree with his family/type thing..?....so I do really strongly feel that race is very much to play in these things with the media...black does not seem to matter as much as white, black does not get the same back stories, black does not get the same understandings, black does not the same analysis and etc etc....

..just off topic quite a bit but it's something that really struck me at the time...when Harambe was shot, there was so much on the family of that child...how the father had been a drug addict/a petty criminal etc in days gone by and how that seemed relevant to report.../how much the parenting of the family was questionable and immediately investigated as opposed to a short time later when the child was taken by an alligator at the Disney resort.../also alligators were killed as Harambe was but not the same negative interest in the family and the parenting of the child from the media..?...it was much more sensitive...I just think it's foolish to not question why these things are..yes, all lives matter so why are the losses of some reported so differently....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 05:59 AM #38
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I'm struggling to find one single photograph of Kyree......and his death is tragic and not an 'every day' thing in the circumstances....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:01 AM #39
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
yeah that part is a bit unclear as to whether the police were actually chasing these guys because they were the ones who mugged the person or not?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:02 AM #40
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I think that there is something basically and extremely wrong with a police system where a suspect in a robbery/or attempted robbery is shot dead as an apparent first course of action...but that's not the thing for me because I can see how it was a difficult call for the police officer in this case.../a weapon was being pulled etc so I don't think racial profiling...but I can still understand 'black lives matter' with this because who is Tyree King..?...he was a 13yr old child who was just shot dead but I've struggled to find anything about him...where are the photographs in his school uniform/with his childhood friends/with his family/a birthday photograph of him..?...who is he...?...it seems maybe just 'some black kid with a BB gun who should have known better'...I just can't help but feel that if he was white, there wouldn't be a struggle in finding things about him/childhood photographs about him etc...whatever happened, where did it all go wrong/this is Tyree with his family/type thing..?....so I do really strongly feel that race is very much to play in these things with the media...black does not seem to matter as much as white, black does not get the same back stories, black does not get the same understandings, black does not the same analysis and etc etc....

..just off topic quite a bit but it's something that really struck me at the time...when Harambe was shot, there was so much on the family of that child...how the father had been a drug addict/a petty criminal etc in days gone by and how that seemed relevant to report.../how much the parenting of the family was questionable and immediately investigated as opposed to a short time later when the child was taken by an alligator at the Disney resort.../also alligators were killed as Harambe was but not the same negative interest in the family and the parenting of the child from the media..?...it was much more sensitive...I just think it's foolish to not question why these things are..yes, all lives matter so why are the losses of some reported so differently....
Great point Ammi

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 09:31 AM #41
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

What i find "interesting" is that America is very vocal at criticising other country's and their regimes for human rights issues and lack of respect for human life. Yet here we are, day after day, where people are killed because they may be a threat. No proof, no evidence. Shoot first and ask the questions later.

Its not about individual cases of shooting's and their circumstances. The American regime does not respect and value human life or respect the role of justice backed by fair trial. It is deplorable.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:26 AM #42

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
What i find "interesting" is that America is very vocal at criticising other country's and their regimes for human rights issues and lack of respect for human life. Yet here we are, day after day, where people are killed because they may be a threat. No proof, no evidence. Shoot first and ask the questions later.

Its not about individual cases of shooting's and their circumstances. The American regime does not respect and value human life or respect the role of justice backed by fair trial. It is deplorable.
It's the gun culture.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 16-09-2016, 11:33 AM #43

have you guys seen a picture of the type of "BB gun" that the kid had?
Old 16-09-2016, 11:34 AM #44

Quote:

That's a load of crap, most americans don't talk about other countries at all, we don't care at all about other countries. America is the most self-criticizing country in the world.

Compare the number of stories about America on the BBC front page to the number of UK stories on the front page of CNN.
Old 16-09-2016, 11:44 AM #45
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
That's a load of crap, most americans don't talk about other countries at all, we don't care at all about other countries. America is the most self-criticizing country in the world.

Compare the number of stories about America on the BBC front page to the number of UK stories on the front page of CNN.
i disagree. America is always preaching how other countries should behave
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:51 AM #46

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:

I think that is just an inevitable symptom of having guns freely available to the public.The cops want to go home to their families at the end if their shift.They will always be twitchy while they know that anywhere they go at anytime somebody may pull a gun on them.I think the whole culture and system is to blame.This won't end until guns are outlawed which will never happen as their would be civil war.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 03:37 PM #47

Quote:
i disagree. America is always preaching how other countries should behave
How long have you lived in America? American leaders give opinions about world issues just like every other country's leaders do. but Americans do not spend much time worrying about or preaching to other countries.

Last edited by lostalex; 16-09-2016 at 03:38 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 04:03 PM #48
You know my methods

You know my methods

Silly policeman, its obvious which is the real gun

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 04:46 PM #49
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Gun homicides steady after decline in ’90s; suicide rate edges up
http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...rate-edges-up/

We’ve had a massive decline in gun violence in the United States. Here’s why.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tes-heres-why/

I think too many people in this section buy too much into the media narrative(s). Remember that they're trying to sell their story for ratings. You'll never be close to any version of the truth this way.

Quote:
1. More police officers on the beat

Additional manpower helps police departments respond to and prevent violence. In 1994, President Bill Clinton signed a major crime bill that set aside enough federal funding for law enforcement agencies nationally to add 100,000 officers, though the ranks of the country's police forces had already been expanding as local governments dedicated more resources to their departments to control increasing rates of crime.

In New York City, the recruitment of more officers was a crucial reason that the decline in crime was larger and more sustained than in other cities, according to Franklin Zimring, a criminologist at the University of California at Berkeley. The economist Steven Levitt estimates that larger police forces reduced crime by 5 percent to 6 percent. Gun violence, presumably, declined along with crime in general.
Depending on how you shake it, this can have a bad or good effect on the African American demographics. On one hand, they are safer, on another... there's more chances for **** to go awry when the policing is based on pro-efficiency. The African American community is anti-police, pro-racial paranoia... so obviously there is going to be more culture clash there. That's not really a full blown narrative as much as it's simply a matter of statistics. Though I believe there is an issue with racial profiling with regards to policing that needs to be corrected/improved upon. Anyway, we're living in the new rage culture that feeds off faux narratives... so hard to see where the truth and the lies begin, even for me who is in a law enforcement family. I ask my husband a lot of questions, and I'm probably critical at times, but I'm curious where this line begins and ends... where exactly the statistics stop and the truth unfolds. Unfortunately it appears to be much greyer than some people prefer.

Quote:

I find that funny considering most of our media doesn't usually acknowledge the rest of the world exists until a terror story is involved or it's about amazing things we're doing (like blowing that **** up). We are very self-absorbed and yet so self-hating in this respect... we're too busy tearing our own culture to pieces in the local media to have time to disseminate someone elses failings. People bring up China and the middle east, but it's just a distraction. We love our culture and politics so much, we are taking a big knife to it and giving it the slow painful death it deserves on social media. Mainstream media is no different and to find the blame for it, well, it's in our mainstream culture... it all preaches self-hate... hate your own skin, hate your own politics, hate your own history, hate this, hate that... don't like that ethnic music? Water it down. Add autotune... so yeah... it's pro-comfort zone, not pro-self-awarenesss... so yeah beat it all dead with a big stick. The media runs in like vermin to pick up after the scraps and sensationalizes the process of it all.

Meanwhile, our national identity is becoming very unclear (if it were relative to the media)... much less our international one. We're in the midst of our own culture war right now and our apparent reflection in the international community right now is the least of our concerns. The only people who care are some portions of the extreme right which bathe daily in the fuels of ethnocentrism and extreme nationalism.

P.S. I have no idea why African Americans care about being unanimously heralded in our wonderful paradise called mainstream anything that celebrates mediocrity. It's all mediocre watered down crap. Anything you put in that is culturally rich is stripped of it's core. Everybody hates it, we just haven't acknowledged it yet. Even white people. Want to succeed? Pro tip... Be a leader. Not a follower. The majority voice, majority anything is dwindling and pretty soon there will be no majority... and it's never been more fair game. Well, unless you're contending with your own movements that seek to self-victimize your group(s)... it's ok the Hispanics are growing in numbers and pretty soon the demographic will be so mixed it won't matter anyway. There are very few "white communities"/homogenous cultures in America anymore... maybe in a high priced subdivision or if you're in the boonies or among the rich and elite (which I often would argue points to a class issue, not a race war)... but go to most metro/high density communities... it's very well mixed, which is a great thing. My city is minority majority so this focus on whites this and that is null and void... we're already living the new mixed multi-voiced America. And I'm digging it.

As far as the US diplomatic policies with regards to working other regions... I wholeheartedly agree... I think it's time we get the hell out and just let whatever happen happen... they don't need us right? ... uhhh... wait no, that's a bad idea.

Last edited by Maru; 16-09-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Changed some wording and errors
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
13yr, bb, boy, dead, gun, ohio, police, shoot