Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-09-2016, 07:19 PM #26
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

America is a vast, wide open, diverse and beautiful place. The political culture is variable, the demographics are variable, the landscapes, the food, the atmosphere and we have everything from plains, mountainous to tropical to snow caps... I like that you can go from one place to another and one is so vastly different in way of life and personality than another. Usually one place doesn't feel superior over another (even confident Texas). People here love that they can visit different places that are so different and yet what we all have in common is that we are American.

Yes, there's a sense of patriotism to most places you visit, but there are so many places that are rich on their own, a lot of what goes on nationally so to speak is in the background as people can become really entrenched and embedded in their lifestyles in any one place... it's just an interesting place to live. People here take for granted that they can just get in a car and travel from one state to another and experience different foods and lifestyles all while generally sharing the same language(s) (English/Spanish).
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:19 PM #27
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
The people are so nice and friendly (apart from New York but it's so busy it's to be expected)
Never been sadly
Old 21-09-2016, 08:13 PM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

There's positives and negatives about the general people and society and life in the US from what I know just like there is in every country but the crazy gun laws and healthcare system confuse me and for those two reasons alone I'd never want to live there.

Last edited by RichardG; 21-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:06 AM #29
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
America is a vast, wide open, diverse and beautiful place. The political culture is variable, the demographics are variable, the landscapes, the food, the atmosphere and we have everything from plains, mountainous to tropical to snow caps... I like that you can go from one place to another and one is so vastly different in way of life and personality than another. Usually one place doesn't feel superior over another (even confident Texas). People here love that they can visit different places that are so different and yet what we all have in common is that we are American.

Yes, there's a sense of patriotism to most places you visit, but there are so many places that are rich on their own, a lot of what goes on nationally so to speak is in the background as people can become really entrenched and embedded in their lifestyles in any one place... it's just an interesting place to live. People here take for granted that they can just get in a car and travel from one state to another and experience different foods and lifestyles all while generally sharing the same language(s) (English/Spanish).
I'm going to be in Texas next month for the GP, I'll be in Austin, Dallas and Houston, any tips/recommendations would be welcomed Maru

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 05:56 AM #30
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I'm going to be in Texas next month for the GP, I'll be in Austin, Dallas and Houston, any tips/recommendations would be welcomed Maru
Yay! When are you coming? Business or pleasure?

Sorry it took me a while to reply... had typed a bit but then I got a little busy

Spoiler:

General Suggestions--

--Bring sunglasses. Our sun is very bright here. Also bring suntan if you plan to be outside a lot. Yes, you can tan here even in the fall. I've had sunburn in November

--Start a fitness program this month because you're going to need to start to make some room for all the food you can eat. It is also cheaper to eat here than a lot of other places in the US... and most places give you heavy portions

--Bring a light jacket (like a blazer with a hoodie that works in rain) just in case. Yes it is generally temperate here in Fall, but because it can be humid and we are mostly flat plains, systems come and go. Sometimes it is colder in the mornings, but then it warms up really fast by noon (i.e. have to peel layers). Also, bring an umbrella because we've had a very rainy year.

--If you need phone/data access, I recommend T-mobile/AT&T prepaid because GSM coverage is very good around the metros and most rural areas. It's also more likely your current phone will have the bands to work with them. T-mobile has a nice tourist plan that works for 3 weeks for $30. Obviously your phone will need to be unlocked by your carrier before you come.

--Because it's October, some places and restaurants will be holding Oktoberfest. So look out for events relating to that if you're interested. New Braunsfel holds a Wurstfest, but I think it is in November. If you're OK with driving out towards San Antonio area SW of Austin, visiting the town is worth it. This would be the time of year to visit I think.

Quote:
Deep in the heart of the Texas Hill country lies beautiful New Braunfels. Founded in 1845 by German settlers, New Braunfels is overflowing with old world heritage and small town charm. Come visit our city with a Walking Tour, take in our great New Braunfels Museums, Historic Districts in New Braunfels, and Performing Arts in New Braunfels.
--The American Football season is on if you like sports and just want to see an American sport. You can go to a game or catch it on TV. Most games are on Sundays.

-- In San Antonio too you can visit the Alamo... it's not too far out of Austin if you have the extra time to drive there. There is also a lot of cool architecture in that area depending on which part you go through. Lots of history to visit.

Austin -- I don't know as much of what there is to do in Austin. Austin is a small metro, but in some ways it is similar to a college town. Very very progressive and performance artsy. Aside from the obvious Texas history related landmarks like, you can visit the bat caves. Those are worth a visit.

Houston -- Houston is very spread out so be prepared for lots of driving. If you are heading towards west side of town, pad time because there is usually congestion, especially around the 610 West Loop and highway 290... 290 they are in the process of widening it so it's all sorts of mess and keeps changing. Galleria area/Westheimer is especially congested around the exit to there (off of 610 Westloop)... but there is a nice little park with a water wall that is worth visiting and taking pictures if you have the time. I would check traffic there through local TV channels like 13, 11 or Google on your phone before going anywhere but pad your time...

Depending on when you come, there is an airshow on the 22nd-23rd called Wings Over Houston. The lineup is huge and features a lot of historical places and the USN Blue Angels usually are there every year which a lot of people come for... You can also pay to go for a ride if you have the $$$.

The Texas Renassiance festival comes to town Oct 8th thru November 27th..

Landmarks: Battleship Texas

Air & Space Museums: NASA Space Center,

Hermann Park has a Japanese garden that is very nice to walk through. Hermann Park itself is nice as well and this where some of the live music/museum venues are. Houston Museum of Natural Science is walking distance from there and is worth a visit for the butterfly garden alone.

A lot of your best bars and restaurants are going to be in the west side as well. Definitely have some authentic mexican food when you are here.

Montrose/Height's area is where your art's district (and LGBT community) will be located at. There are a lot of modern cube buildings with cool design plans mixed in with the original bungalos which is funny. If you're into art or need to visit organic shops for certain things, then most of your shops like Whole Food's will be in this area...

Dallas - Six Flags over Texas is located there. It's a big amusement park but I've never been to that one in particular. We had a sister location in Houston over 10 years ago called Astroworld, but it is sadly gone now They do Frightfest/halloween themes around this time of the year, but it is a really good park to go to. You may see carnivals popping up at random off the highways too... I think it's that time of year.

I've never really "toured" Dallas so to speak (we have family there though). If it's anything like Houston, shopping, shopping and loooots of shopping.

I usually cut through to get to north section of town but they're building up like Houston.

For bringing home gifts:

If you want souvenirs to take home, a good place to visit is "Buc'cees".. it has a big beaver in the logo and features the "cleanest bathrooms ever" or something. You can buy the paintings hanging up in there . They are usually on the way into Houston and out... so if you have to drive down from Dallas to Houston, you will see the signage for it. Has a huge gas station too... it's a huuuge shop, has lots of good food, it's not very expensive, but it's not cheap either... it's one of those weird stores that reminds me of the old Earnest movies for some reason... just feels very tourist-y, but outdoorsy, but it's just a big convenience store. Just a lot nicer than your average truck stop, but they sell a lot of cool stuff, food/drink/candy I haven't seen since being a child, lots of jerky, BBQ, other texas related gear etc... I don't know anyone who doesn't love Buc'cees... it's just always worth stopping there if only to get something to eat or some jerky.

Good restaurants ... but you should have absolutely no problems finding restaurants and just about any type of food is available... don't be afraid to try hole in the wall places, but I'll list some local chains so you have them

BBQ:

Rudy's - I think it's a chain... it's relatively inexpensive, you sit in picnic tables to eat your food. Their loaded potatoes are really good as well as the brisket/sausage.

American/Texmex(?):

Chile's Grill & Bar - Their hamburger's are excellent and reasonably pricey.

Mexican/Texmex food:
Chuy's (Chain) - Mexican, but you can find a smaller more intimate (likely more authentic) joint as well... but Chuy's is decent and is tourist friendly.
(Fast Food) Taco Cabana - Though it's not as inauthentic as Taco bell, if you just want a burrito

Tia Maria's (there's only one in Houston) - More authentic than the above and highly intimate. The price is good too, but I feel like Chuy has a bigger menu.

Fried Chicken:
Church's - Doubt they exist internationally. They're not widespread like the other two Popeyes and KFC... so try their chicken if you happen to stop near one

Pastries/Breakfast -
Shipley's - STOP HERE FOR DONUTS. My grandmother grew up with the family... they used to make donut's in their home and she knew the son's (they're probably still running it). It's expanded a bit and you can find it in other states throughout the south, but their donuts are unbeatable.. the kolache's are good too if you just want like a sausage & cheese dough snack... but I notice some locations make it wrong (mostly dough instead of the wonderful filling).

Steakhouse -
Saltgrass Steakhouse (Chain) - They're good, but a little pricey. They make good hamburger's too.

Seafood -
Fisherman's Wharf -
If you leave Houston and head towards Galveston for some reason, go here... very pricey, but you eat on the peer and the view is fantastic. The food does not come in large portions (as typical for most American food), but the quality makes up for it and was filling enough for me (I'm not the heaviest eater though)
Old 24-09-2016, 09:52 AM #31
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Default What do you think about the USA?

Oh wow thanks for taking the time to write all that Maru, it's much appreciated .

We're going to be in the states from Oct 19th-Nov 5th but not all of that will be in Texas, we're hiring an RV and going to drive to Memphis and New Orleans too.

The reason we'll be in Austin is to see the Grand Prix, my husband and brother are big Formula 1 fans.

I had hoped we'd get to San Antonio but I don't think we'll have time as we have to be in Austin and we're flying in and out of Dallas.

My husband really wants to do the space stuff in Houston too. I love Mexican food so I'm really looking forward to trying a bit of Texmex

ETA : regarding the sport, I spotted a Hockey game that will be on in Dallas while we're there so I might try to get tickets for that

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 24-09-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
america, country, usa