Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-11-2016, 01:30 PM #51
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Nothing to do with this thread but speaking of Dubai, I saw this story last week.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7426421.html
wow that's horrific and the two accused were allowed to leave the country but she wasn't. It's disgusting

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:09 PM #52

Learning prayers in R.E? What a shock.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:11 PM #53

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
wow that's horrific and the two accused were allowed to leave the country but she wasn't. It's disgusting
Unfortunately women get a horrible deal under muslim law. In some countries women can be killed for so called honour crimes and the men get away with it. A deal is done between families, often money changes hands. The low value of a female life. At least this British lady will have her embassy to fight for her, imagine what it's like for a girl who doesn't.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 21-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 02:34 PM #54
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Quote:
Dubai is the only country I know abit about in the Middle East. One of my cousins has kids there too and she's always putting pictures of them up on FB, they wear a uniform for school and it looks like a normal school uniform. Infact I just checked her account and she's put a photo up of them all on a beach there where there was some sort of after sports picnic going on. It looks no different to a beach scene you would see in Spain or whatever, both boys/girls/women/men wearing normal beach stuff
Yeh, I had to wear a shirt and tie there and I was probably one of the most overdressed people ere, I think even the locals thought I was a twat. But I did go to the beach a few times, looked similar to any other beach that I've been too, only difference being people (of both genders) were walking around with exotic animals trying to sell you a cool photograph.
I wasnt aware of this 'everyone in dubai wears 50 layers from head to toe' stereotype. Of course they dont, its like the hottest country in the world!

Last edited by Withano; 21-11-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 01:11 PM #55
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Learning about a religion does not include memorising verses and prayers and to get kids to recite this aloud in this climate is cynical. And they wonder why the Right is rising in Germany. Can you imagine the furore that would ensue if they got Muslims to recite aloud a Jewish blessing and then claim it was just part of the lesson?
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 01:14 PM #56
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Learning about a religion does not include memorising verses and prayers and to get kids to recite this aloud in this climate is cynical. And they wonder why the Right is rising in Germany. Can you imagine the furore that would ensue if they got Muslims to recite aloud a Jewish blessing and then claim it was just part of the lesson?
I agree with this, I'm a pretty big believer in religion being separate to schools anyway though. I think religion should be a personal thing and if you want to teach it your kids, you should do so on your own time

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 22-11-2016, 01:17 PM #57
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
I agree with this, I'm a pretty big believer in religion being separate to schools anyway though. I think religion should be a personal thing and if you want to teach it your kids, you should do so on your own time
I completely agree. School should be secular. I did bible study and Hebrew in my own time and that's how it should be.
Old 22-11-2016, 06:11 PM #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by livia View Post
learning about a religion does not include memorising verses and prayers and to get kids to recite this aloud in this climate is cynical. And they wonder why the right is rising in germany. Can you imagine the furore that would ensue if they got muslims to recite aloud a jewish blessing and then claim it was just part of the lesson?
absolutely this ^.

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:11 PM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by niamh. View Post
i agree with this, i'm a pretty big believer in religion being separate to schools anyway though. I think religion should be a personal thing and if you want to teach it your kids, you should do so on your own time
and absolutely this ^.

Old 22-11-2016, 06:34 PM #60
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That's just as bad, if not worse though. Children shouldn't be indoctrinated with religion (and, ideally, things like political views too), more encouraged to think critically for themselves and come to their own conclusions either way.

Faith schools should be outlawed completely but I'm always on the fence when it comes to teaching religion as a subject, I can see both pros and cons. I always remember our Sociology class in Sixth Form asking our quite obviously atheist teacher why he taught RE to lower school, and he just responded with something like 'because the more you know about it, the more you realise how much **** it all is, and how to argue against it'. Made me think
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 06:51 PM #61

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. I don't think faith schools should be allowed. Religion has no real place in education.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 22-11-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 22-11-2016, 07:46 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
That's just as bad, if not worse though. Children shouldn't be indoctrinated with religion (and, ideally, things like political views too), more encouraged to think critically for themselves and come to their own conclusions either way.

Faith schools should be outlawed completely but I'm always on the fence when it comes to teaching religion as a subject, I can see both pros and cons. I always remember our Sociology class in Sixth Form asking our quite obviously atheist teacher why he taught RE to lower school, and he just responded with something like 'because the more you know about it, the more you realise how much **** it all is, and how to argue against it'. Made me think
I agree with the points which you make in your post Jack and I used to think almost identically to you, but now I believe that ALL Religious Instruction AND Education should be totally banned fro all schools, except for dedicated Faith Schools - and even here it should only be allowed under the most rigorous of 'policing' by the Education Authorities.

I have had my mind changed by the increasing cases of schools 'conditioning' pupils and 'brainwashing' them into Religious Fundamentalism and Anti-Western propaganda - even in once traditional secular schools.

Oldknow Academy in Birmingham springs to mind.

Old 22-11-2016, 07:52 PM #63
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
I agree with this 100%. I don't think faith schools should be allowed. Religion has no real place in education.
I agree. Education is about teaching facts. Religion is about a belief, not fact.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:13 PM #64
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyTheElf View Post

I don't see anything wrong with teaching it as a subject tbh. As long as its in a 'some people believe' type setting rather than being taught as truth. I have often wondered if faith schools teach science accurately...I am another who completely disagrees with faith schools. Education and religion should be kept separate. I am also kind of against bringing kids up strictly as a certain religion as the child should really have a choice about stuff like that. However I say that as someone who got my daughter christened so am slightly hypocritical Neither me nor my husband is religious though..not even totally sure why we did it but we are not raising her as Christian..its up to her when shes older
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 01-01-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM #65

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I don't see anything wrong with teaching it as a subject tbh. As long as its in a 'some people believe' type setting rather than being taught as truth. I have often wondered if faith schools teach science accurately...I am another who completely disagrees with faith schools. Education and religion should be kept separate. I am also kind of against bringing kids up strictly as a certain religion as the child should really have a choice about stuff like that. However I say that as someone who got my daughter christened so am slightly hypocritical Neither me nor my husband is religious though..not even totally sure why we did it but we are not raising her as Christian..its up to her when shes older
I think sometimes with baptism it's family pressure/expectation/not wanting to disappoint. I know my mother and mother in law were very keen for me to do it, even though neither had been inside a church apart from family weddings and baptisms. It was quite hard to resist the pressure.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 02-01-2017, 05:42 PM #66
Sod orf

Sod orf

Hasn't the World changed?

When I was in primary School, is all we shouted was "Block 1 2 3" or "All join on if you wanna play bulldogs, no girls allowed"
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:46 PM #67

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Hasn't the World changed?

When I was in primary School, is all we shouted was "Block 1 2 3" or "All join on if you wanna play bulldogs, no girls allowed"
Ha.That sounds very much like my school.Now it's 'Allah snackbarrrr!!!'.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 PM #68
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star Monkey View Post
Ha.That sounds very much like my school.Now it's 'Allah snackbarrrr!!!'.
It must be the new name for the tuck shop.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:53 PM #69

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I went to a C of E primary school because it was close and apart from singing hymns in assembly in the morning,saying the lords prayer and taking food in for the poor at harvest it was no different from any other school.Still learned about Diwalli and other cultures and did normal lessons etc.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:28 PM #70
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
I think sometimes with baptism it's family pressure/expectation/not wanting to disappoint. I know my mother and mother in law were very keen for me to do it, even though neither had been inside a church apart from family weddings and baptisms. It was quite hard to resist the pressure.
Yeah honestly..we did it mainly for the grandparents. Felt a bit of a fraud standing up saying all the religious stuff.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 02-01-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:37 PM #71
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
You mock, but you, or should I say your future children/grandchildren, may live to pay for your apathy on the subject. As long as you are not around to worry about it though.
Worked for all the over 50s that voted to leave
Old 03-01-2017, 02:03 PM #72
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob! View Post
Worked for all the over 50s that voted to leave
That's an astonishing source of reference you have, to know who exactly voted for what.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM #73
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I disagree with it as a non religious person but you can't tell people how to raise their kids and parents who truly believe in God and all that goes with it, how can they not teach it to their kids?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM #74
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I disagree with it as a non religious person but you can't tell people how to raise their kids and parents who truly believe in God and all that goes with it, how can they not teach it to their kids?
Because they should realise that it's their own personal belief, which they are of course entitled to, but that their children should be afforded the same privilege. I know realistically this is never going to happen, but I still believe it should.

We should be raising a generation who are encouraged to think critically for themselves, do their own research and reading and come to their own conclusions, whether that's on religion or politics. Indoctrinating children is appalling as far as I'm concerned.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:16 PM #75
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Because they should realise that it's their own personal belief, which they are of course entitled to, but that their children should be afforded the same privilege. I know realistically this is never going to happen, but I still believe it should.

We should be raising a generation who are encouraged to think critically for themselves, do their own research and reading and come to their own conclusions, whether that's on religion or politics. Indoctrinating children is appalling as far as I'm concerned.
Again, I'm not disagreeing with the theory behind your post but you have to try to see it through the eyes of a person who is religious, a big part of that is raising your kids by using the religions rules and beliefs etc. It would be going against the religions to not pass it on to their kids

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
akbar’, chant, forced, german, kids, muslim, prayer, primary, school, ‘allahu