Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:17 PM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Default Greg Lake (one of the greatest Xmas songs of all time / King Crimson) dies age 69

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Quote:
Greg Lake, who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.

One of the founding fathers of progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In the Court of the Crimson King and his solo hit I Believe in Father Christmas.

He died on Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer", said his manager.

The news comes nine months after Lake's band-mate Keith Emerson died.

Keyboardist Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, coroners in the US said.

Lake's manager Stewart Young wrote on Facebook: "Yesterday, December 7th, I lost my best friend to a long and stubborn battle with cancer.

"Greg Lake will stay in my heart forever, as he has always been."

Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett paid tribute on Twitter, writing: "Music bows its head to acknowledge the passing of a great musician and singer, Greg Lake."

"Another sad loss with the passing of Greg Lake," wrote Rick Wakeman, keyboardist in pro rock band Yes.

"You left some great music with us my friend & so like Keith, you will live on."

Born in Bournemouth, Lake was given his first guitar at the age of 12 and took lessons from a local tutor called Don Strike.

He formed a close friendship with fellow student Robert Fripp, with whom he created King Crimson in 1969.

Their debut album In the Court of the Crimson King featured such songs as 21st Century Schizoid Man.

It set a standard for progressive rock and received a glowing, well-publicised testimonial from The Who's Pete Townshend, who called it "an uncanny masterpiece".

But within a year, founding member Mike Giles quit and Lake refused to work with the band - although he stuck around long enough to sing on their second album, In the Wake of Poseidon, which was criticised for treading old ground.

The singer and bassist was then approached by Emerson, who had supported King Crimson on a North American tour and needed a singer for his new band.

Joined by Atomic Rooster drummer Carl Palmer, ELP made their live debut at the Guildhall in Plymouth in 1970 before giving a career-making performance at the Isle of Wight Festival.

Unusually, the band combined heavy rock riffs with a classical influence. They scored hit albums with Pictures at an Exhibition, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery - many of them produced by Lake himself.

Tarkus, released in 1971, featured an opening track inspired by the fictional Tarkus character - a half-tank, half-armadillo creature that would appear on stage at gigs - that lasted more than 20 minutes.

The band went on to enjoy chart success in 1977 with their version of Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

ELP's ambitious light shows and on-stage theatrics were the epitome of '70s rock excess, and several punk acts cited ELP as one of the bands they were reacting against.

But the band sold more than 48 million records, and Lake continued to be an influential and popular touring musician even after the band wound down in the late 1970s.

In 2010, Kanye West repopularised the King Crimson song 21st Century Schizoid Man when he sampled it in his hit song, Power.

"The greatest music is made for love, not for money," Lake is quoted as saying on his official website.

"The early ELP albums were pioneering because there is no standing still; time is always moving forward."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM #2

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:49 PM #3
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

One of my favourite Christmas songs, RIP Greg
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM #4

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Default Greg Lake Dies

Sad news for me Greg Lake dies of cancer,he penned one of my Christmas favourites of all.looks like the year is ending as it began,another talent gone.
http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainme...D=ansmsnnews11

(sad news Joey)

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:07 PM #5
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

It really is sad Kazanne, a great talent.

That song is amazing and like for you it is my favourite Christmas song and you introduced me to it too..
It takes on a new meaning this year after this news now.

R.I.P. Greg Lake.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
69, age, crimson, dies, greatest, greg, king, lake, songs, time, xmas