Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 11-12-2016, 04:24 PM #26

I live in Portugal and I'm not fluent in Portuguese yet, I have put endless hours into learning, but I haven't really got a gift for languages, so I'm improving constantly but it's slow.

Health care isn't free for me here and I just filled out some paperwork last week but most of the paperwork is in both English and Portuguese, I have never been provided an interpreter or anything like that, even at the hospital.

Maybe the NHS could use Google translate or something like that for less severe things?
Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 PM #27
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke

In my eyes, it's a basic thing to learn the local language. Especially English...

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:32 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas Sherry View Post
There is no unemployment benefit in Spain, unless you have paid into the system for a year.....

In order to be eligible to receive unemployment benefits in Spain, a person must have been employed and paid contributions into the social security system. The amount of benefit received by unemployed workers varies depending on how long they were employed. ... Unemployment benefits are known as "el paro".
Regardless of the time scale, they have to take language classes if they don't speak Spanish and want to claim the equivalent of job seekers allowance.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:32 PM #29
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannta Claus View Post
I live in Portugal and I'm not fluent in Portuguese yet, I have put endless hours into learning, but I haven't really got a gift for languages, so I'm improving constantly but it's slow.

Health care isn't free for me here and I just filled out some paperwork last week but most of the paperwork is in both English and Portuguese, I have never been provided an interpreter or anything like that, even at the hospital.

Maybe the NHS could use Google translate or something like that for less severe things?
I've attended the equivalent of a and e in Spain and the doctor translated on his phone into English as my Spanish didn't stretch to the medical diagnosis, it worked fine
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:35 PM #30
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Regardless of the time scale, they have to take language classes if they don't speak Spanish and want to claim the equivalent of job seekers allowance.
I have never heard of this
Old 11-12-2016, 04:38 PM #31

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

I'd learn the language if I moved abroad so people should here.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:38 PM #32
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Why would translating a letter or a bill into a different language cos anybody any money? Effective communication just isnt required in some jobs so thats not an issue either...
And I disagree, if you wanted to work in Greece tomorrow for a job that doesnt require an extensive comprehension of the Greek language, then go for it. Language classes would be optional for you too.
I wouldn't be going to Greece or anywhere else to take from a system I had never paid into to the detriment of the locals. I don't expect something for nothing and have no time for those that do.

We have limited resources and cannot support those that can't support themselves whether that be benefits, health care, housing, education etc. Practically or Morally there really is no such thing as 'for free'. Britain and the British taxpayer are not a charity or a bank to be milked by the rest of the world.

For every interpreter paid for someone else is likely to be refused certain treatments or have a procedure cancelled - when will people get it, there is not enough money in the pot and everyone suffers when money is wasted on non-essential services such as interpreters.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:41 PM #33
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
I wouldn't be going to Greece or anywhere else to take from a system I had never paid into to the detriment of the locals. I don't expect something for nothing and have no time for those that do.

We have limited resources and cannot support those that can't support themselves whether that be benefits, health care, housing, education etc. Practically or Morally there really is no such thing as 'for free'. Britain and the British taxpayer are not a charity or a bank to be milked by the rest of the world.

For every interpreter paid for someone else is likely to be refused certain treatments or have a procedure cancelled - when will people get it, there is not enough money in the pot and everyone suffers when money is wasted on non-essential services such as interpreters.
Youve kind of got an 'I should be the priority because I've lived here longer' attitude, and I think thats where and why we disagree. Equal rights for all UK citizens imo. There isnt a heriachy with fluent speaking natives at the top, and I'd like to hope that nobody here is suggesting that there should be.

Last edited by Withano; 11-12-2016 at 04:45 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM #34

Quote:

Hi Jess,

You’re absolutely right. Some people learn a language easily whilst others find it very difficult. I tried to learn Portuguese btw and just gave up because I found it too difficult. I'm fluent in two languages and speak quite a bit of a third language but Portuguese proved to be really tough.

One of the things that is really noticeable in France is, so few English residents speak enough French to do anything more than buy a baguette in the local patisserie.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 11-12-2016 at 04:50 PM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:46 PM #35
Katya Zamolodchikova

Favourites (more):
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
Katya Zamolodchikova

Favourites (more):
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Charlie Doherty Christmas View Post
^
"I sit there and I have to ask people for a drink and they still don't get me one. I always ask everyone if they want a drink. Everyone. I know it's a game and everything, but you haven't got to ****ing diminish your soul to survive. I refuse to diminish my character to survive. I refuse. I would rather be hated than make myself look so disgusting and sordid to survive. I refuse."
iloveaisleyne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:49 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Charlie Doherty Christmas View Post
Lets hope you find it really easy then.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:51 PM #37
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Youve kind of got an 'I should be the priority because I've lived here longer' attitude, and I think thats where and why we disagree. Equal rights for all UK citizens imo.
I do believe those that have paid in should get priority over those that haven't. What is wrong with that?

Otherwise the system is totally flawed and will continue to encourage those that haven't paid in to take whilst giving nothing back and lead to the eventual collapse of the NHS. Then everyone will either have to take out private insurance to go without. No more freebies for anyone.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:53 PM #38
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I do believe those that have paid in should get priority over those that haven't. What is wrong with that?

Otherwise the system is totally flawed and will continue to encourage those that haven't paid in to take whilst giving nothing back and lead to the eventual collapse of the NHS. Then everyone will either have to take out private insurance to go without. No more freebies for anyone.
So the homeless would be ****ed then. Good job youre not running the country.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:59 PM #39

Quote:
Hi Jess,

You’re absolutely right. Some people learn a language easily whilst others find it very difficult. I tried to learn Portuguese btw and just gave up because I found it too difficult. I'm fluent in two languages and speak quite a bit of a third language but Portuguese proved to be really tough.

One of the things that is really noticeable in France is, so few English residents speak enough French to do anything more than buy a baguette in the local patisserie.
Yeah, it's just harder for some people, I think. I do believe everyone should make an effort to learn the language of whatever country they are in but it's tough to just expect people to be conversational when it's not that simple.

I love Portuguese and I learn new words and grammar rules every day and to be denied health care even though I make this effort would really crush me.

Speaking of bakeries, the man who works at my local one always hears the wrong number of pieces if bread that I want and he gets extremely focused when I walk in so he doesn't give me fourteen instead of four again.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:01 PM #40
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Hi Jess,

Don't really see the connection if they pay their way. If so the language issue is not such a problem for the French if the Brits aren't' expecting the French to pay for an interpreter. It comes down to money at the end of the day because there isn't enough of it.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:07 PM #41
User banned

User banned

Quote:
If they were born here they would be entitled. Those coming here to take advantage of our NHS and benefits system would not be.

You seem to have a money grows on trees mentally and somehow everything will be ok way of thinking. A reality check would be good.

Last edited by Brillopad; 11-12-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:08 PM #42
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If they were born here they would be entitled. Those coming here to take advantage of our NHS and benefits system would not be.

You seem to have a money grows on trees mentally and somehow everything will be ok way of thing. A reality check would be good.
Oh right.. So it really was anout nationality all along... Is this one of those 'its not racism, its patriotism' moments.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:11 PM #43
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yeah, it's just harder for some people, I think. I do believe everyone should make an effort to learn the language of whatever country they are in but it's tough to just expect people to be conversational when it's not that simple.

I love Portuguese and I learn new words and grammar rules every day and to be denied health care even though I make this effort would really crush me.

Speaking of bakeries, the man who works at my local one always hears the wrong number of pieces if bread that I want and he gets extremely focused when I walk in so he doesn't give me fourteen instead of four again.

You are not denied health care you just have to pay for it just like you would if you lived in Ireland, 50 Euros for a visit to the GP in Ireland isn't it, more now probably? And if you need an interpreter either take a friend fluent in the language or pay for one, it seems fair to me

Last edited by Cherie; 11-12-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:13 PM #44
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Oh right.. So it really was anout nationality all along... Is this one of those 'its not racism, its patriotism' moments.
Are all people born here the same colour - so no it isn't. It's about resources, fairness and people trying to get something for nothing not being rewarded for that.

Last edited by Brillopad; 11-12-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 PM #45
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Hi Jess,

I think the difference with countries like France and Spain is that they don't bend over backwards for people who want to emigrate there, they can come but they don't get extra special treatment, that's why UK, UK is so appealing for some
Old 11-12-2016, 05:22 PM #46
Banned

Banned

I wouldn't move to a foreign country if I couldn't speak the language but I wouldn't demand it of others.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:24 PM #47
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Good job your'e not as we probably would not have an NHS now. I hope you can afford private insurance.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:28 PM #48
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Good job your'e not as we probably would not have an NHS now. I hope you can afford private insurance.
I dont understand your conclusion, I have made no suggestions for any changes to the health system and we currently have an NHS.. Seems like you put one and one together and got 27.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 PM #49
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Nice to see the anti globalisation weed growing and bearing fruit....

If language is a barrier to an adequate diagnosis and a possible medical negligence claim then it makes perfect sense to remove it.

How was the NHS functioning and in many areas self funding until recently? It's not the cost of interpreters, it's the fact the profit generating areas have been sold off.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:37 PM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Star Monkey View Post
Millions of pounds are spent every year in Britain on translation services and interpreters.
The NHS alone spends £64,000 per day on interpreters.
When people go to live abroad in Spain for example all that paperwork is in Spanish.
So why is Britain spending all this money on this?
This money would be much better spent on teaching foreigners how to speak and read English helping them in the process.
All these translation services are doing is just leaving non English speaking foreigners stuck without being able to read,speak or understand the people in the country they live in with no motivation or need to learn English.
This is a counterproductive waste of tax payers money and will not end while we as a country pander to it.
So i say we'd be far better off spending the money on education which will help everybody.

I am not sure if I understand the question ? where is my poetry translator
waterhog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
acceptable, britain, english, live, people, speak