Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:57 AM #1
You know my methods

You know my methods

Default BoE Chief Economist: Brexit Prediction Was Our 'Michael Fish Moment'

well well....

The Bank had issued dire warnings against a vote to leave the European Union, with governor Mark Carney even saying the country could slip into recession.

Instead, the FTSE 100 closed on a record high for the sixth consecutive time on Thursday, the same day figures were released suggesting Britain was the fastest-growing of the advanced economies last year, with the services sector hitting a 17-month high.

BoE chief economist Andy Haldane said criticism of economists for failing to predict the financial crisis and the impact of the Brexit vote were a "fair cop", adding that the economics profession was "to some degree in crisis".

http://www.lbc.co.uk/news/uk/boe-chi...t-criticism-w/

------------------

In other words they got it spectacularly wrong with their doom-mongering and i think our Nigel may well have called that one as well..
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:14 AM #2

Yes Blame Poor Old Fish LT

Pathetic Haldane fella

Last edited by arista; 06-01-2017 at 10:30 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM #3
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

That's because absolutely nothing has happened in regards to Brexit yet
MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:28 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post

Well the pound changed
but bounced back

After March this year
we may get some changes
as we start LEAVING the Corrupt EU

Last edited by arista; 06-01-2017 at 10:28 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:38 AM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

You have to remember that these so called 'expert economists' are renowned for getting it wrong.They hardly ever predict anything right.There were dire predictions for June 24th and none of it happened.They are to be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
Even the FT thinks they're useless.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.f...?client=safari
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 PM #6
-

-

We're still in the EU though
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:18 PM #7
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
We're still in the EU though
yes and I believe that was the response from every tibb brexiteer for weeks after the vote when faced with the silly scare-mongering

you

could

not

make

it

up
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
yes and I believe that was the response from every tibb brexiteer for weeks after the vote when faced with the silly scare-mongering

you

could

not

make

it

up
My point is more that the Brexitkru have been insistent that the economy is stifled and can't improve because of EU laws and red tape... And yet now crowing about economic improvements like its down to Brexit, when in fact we are still bound by exactly the same EU "laws and red tape" as we ever were .

So all you can actually say is that some people were wrong about the consequences of the vote itself / financial confidence etc... Which is fair enough... But it has absolutely zero bearing on the actual effect of Brexit in practice, which we are still years away from . Surely, LT, you're not one of the thick chavs I get ranting at work about how we're "out of Europe now!" since the day after the vote...
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM #9
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
My point is more that the Brexitkru have been insistent that the economy is stifled and can't improve because of EU laws and red tape... And yet now crowing about economic improvements like its down to Brexit, when in fact we are still bound by exactly the same EU "laws and red tape" as we ever were .

So all you can actually say is that some people were wrong about the consequences of the vote itself / financial confidence etc... Which is fair enough... But it has absolutely zero bearing on the actual effect of Brexit in practice, which we are still years away from . Surely, LT, you're not one of the thick chavs I get ranting at work about how we're "out of Europe now!" since the day after the vote...
just pointing out that most of the tibb remainers were wrong
Old 06-01-2017, 01:00 PM #10
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
just pointing out that most of the tibb remainers were wrong
About what? You can't possibly claim to know whether Brexit will be good or bad for the economy, because it hasn't happened yet. No one has been proven right or wrong .
Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 PM #11
Banned

Banned

The results of the Brexit alone had an negative impact, it's not exactly sometihng to celebrate that we only recovered because we're still in the EU.

This makes me think of people who deny Global Warming is a thing, you can convince yourself all you want that things are all rosy but that won't change the reality of what's going to happen.

The financial issue isn't even the worst part of it though, Brexit only went through because the government's under investigation for Human Rights' abuse by the EU due to the welfare cuts that the Tories proposed a while back. After we leave I'd bet those proposals will resurface.

It's sad how easy it is to get people to sign away their rights the second you mention immigrants.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:01 PM #12

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
The point is they forecast doom would begin immediately on the result of a leave vote and it didn't happen.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:05 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The results of the Brexit alone had an negative impact, it's not exactly sometihng to celebrate that we only recovered because we're still in the EU.

This makes me think of people who deny Global Warming is a thing, you can convince yourself all you want that things are all rosy but that won't change the reality of what's going to happen.

The financial issue isn't even the worst part of it though, Brexit only went through because the government's under investigation for Human Rights' abuse by the EU due to the welfare cuts that the Tories proposed a while back. After we leave I'd bet those proposals will resurface.

It's sad how easy it is to get people to sign away their rights the second you mention immigrants.
It's a shame the rest of the EU aren't doing as well as we are.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...ght-talks.html

"The terms are harsher by a full order of magnitude than those rejected by Greek voters in a landslide referendum a week ago, and therefore can never command democratic assent. They must be carried through by a Greek parliament still dominated by MPs from Left and Right who loathe every line of the summit statement, the infamous SN 4070/15, and have only agreed – if they have agreed – with a knife to their throats." EU

"In doing so they reverted to the nationalist European power struggles of the 19th and early 20th century. They demoted the eurozone into a toxic fixed exchange-rate system, with a shared single currency, run in the interests of Germany, held together by the threat of absolute destitution for those who challenge the prevailing order. The best thing that can be said of the weekend is the brutal honesty of those perpetrating this regime change.

We will soon be asking ourselves whether this new eurozone, in which the strong push around the weak, can be sustainable. Previously, the strongest argument against any forecasts of break-up has been the strong political commitment of all its members. If you ask Italians why they are in the eurozone, few have ever pointed to the economic benefits. They wanted to be part of the most ambitious project of European integration undertaken so far." Written by German economic commentator Wolfgang Munchau
EU

A eurozone official is quoted as saying in the Financial Times: "They crucified Tsipras in there. Crucified.”

Not sure what rights you think people are signing away. Blaming it on immigration is just ignorance based on Tabloid sensationalism.

Brexit only went through because the government's under investigation for Human Rights' abuse by the EU due to the welfare cuts that the Tories proposed a while back. This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Brexit hasn't 'gone through' yet but if you are referring to this investigation being the reason people voted for Brexit I can't see where you have evidence of that and it rather contradicts your statement about immigration. Lost me.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 06-01-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM #14
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Brexit only went through because the government's under investigation for Human Rights' abuse by the EU due to the welfare cuts that the Tories proposed a while back. This sentence doesn't make sense to me. Brexit hasn't 'gone through' yet but if you are referring to this investigation being the reason people voted for Brexit I can't see where you have evidence of that and it rather contradicts your statement about immigration. Lost me.
It only doesn't make sense if you still believe in the integrity of democracy, rather than it being fairly evident that democratic votes in the "information age" are largely decided via mass media manipulation and a form of viral advertising.

Powerful people with vested interests decided that Brexit was the best path for them to achieve the things they are seeking to achieve, therefore Brexit happened. The same goes for Trump, now quite obviously. He ran a campaign that placed a large emphasis on "draining the swamp" in Washington; instead it already looks like the Washington Swamp is going to be declared a national park, and all of the corrupt ****ers in it will be a protected species. Such surprised.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM #15

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
It only doesn't make sense if you still believe in the integrity of democracy, rather than it being fairly evident that democratic votes in the "information age" are largely decided via mass media manipulation and a form of viral advertising.

Powerful people with vested interests decided that Brexit was the best path for them to achieve the things they are seeking to achieve, therefore Brexit happened. The same goes for Trump, now quite obviously. He ran a campaign that placed a large emphasis on "draining the swamp" in Washington; instead it already looks like the Washington Swamp is going to be declared a national park, and all of the corrupt ****ers in it will be a protected species. Such surprised.
Do you know "Big Brother" personally TS?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 06-01-2017, 03:42 PM #16
-

-

Quote:
Do you know "Big Brother" personally TS?
We all do Jaxie, some of us are just more acutely aware of him
Old 06-01-2017, 03:43 PM #17

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
We all do Jaxie, some of us are just more acutely aware of him
What's his favourite colour?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 PM #18

Favourites:

Favourites:

If the government is under investigation by the EU for being thoroughly bad sorts, (I nearly typed sots there). Who is investigating the EU for their disgusting treatment of Greece, overriding their democracy, the voice of their people through referendum and for bringing down yet another Greek government?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 06-01-2017, 03:47 PM #19
-

-

Quote:
What's his favourite colour?
Green of course, the colour of $$$MONEY$$$
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM #20
Banned

Banned

Quote:
If the government is under investigation by the EU for being thoroughly bad sorts, (I nearly typed sots there). Who is investigating the EU for their disgusting treatment of Greece, overriding their democracy, the voice of their people through referendum and for bringing down yet another Greek government?
And none of that changes the fact that our government are under investigation for Human Rights abuse against disabled people.

The act of trying to distract somebody from focusing on something bad by saying 'that thing over there is also bad so that somehow vindicates this bad thing for some reason!' is foolishness.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:20 PM #21

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
And none of that changes the fact that our government are under investigation for Human Rights abuse against disabled people.

The act of trying to distract somebody from focusing on something bad by saying 'that thing over there is also bad so that somehow vindicates this bad thing for some reason!' is foolishness.
So who investigates the EU abuse?

― Richard Dawkins
Old 06-01-2017, 04:26 PM #22
Banned

Banned

Quote:
So who investigates the EU abuse?
It's irrelevant for reasons I've stated in the last post that you chose to ignore (and probably didn't read, given how you just proved what I was saying right).
Old 06-01-2017, 04:31 PM #23

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
It's irrelevant for reasons I've stated in the last post that you chose to ignore (and probably didn't read, given how you just proved what I was saying right).
It's ok if you can't answer. You can just say.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 06-01-2017, 04:39 PM #24
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's ok if you can't answer. You can just say.
You are trying to distract from the issue I've raised because you can't argue against it hence the pointless attempts to vindicate Human Rights abuse (which is disgusting in itself) by bringing in an unrelated subject to confuse the issue.

You voted against human rights, you've got to accept that. You weren't voting against free borders or voting for an extra £350m for the NHS or anything else, you voted to get the government out of a Human Rights debacle and, in the process, gave them the means to try it again with reprisal.

That's what the referendum essentially came down to and no amount of sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'lalalalalala!' is going to change that fact.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:48 PM #25

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
You are trying to distract from the issue I've raised because you can't argue against it hence the pointless attempts to vindicate Human Rights abuse (which is disgusting in itself) by bringing in an unrelated subject to confuse the issue.

You voted against human rights, you've got to accept that. You weren't voting against free borders or voting for an extra £350m for the NHS or anything else, you voted to get the government out of a Human Rights debacle and, in the process, gave them the means to try it again with reprisal.

That's what the referendum essentially came down to and no amount of sticking your fingers in your ears and going 'lalalalalala!' is going to change that fact.
I just can't be bothered. It's like talking to a brick wall.

― Richard Dawkins

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
boe, brexit, chief, economist, fish, michael, moment, prediction