Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 26-01-2017, 08:24 PM #51
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yep I'd say it was a mix of post war affluence and social conditioning that has led to the obsession with 'stuff'... people feel a real need to have lot's and lots of 'stuff'.
Old 26-01-2017, 08:26 PM #52

So Democracy is driven by the need for personal freedom... Life… liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but democracy starts to crumble when the tyranny becomes the majority.

My question is, who is the tyrant !?
Old 26-01-2017, 08:38 PM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Yep I'd say it was a mix of post war affluence and social conditioning that has led to the obsession with 'stuff'... people feel a real need to have lot's and lots of 'stuff'.
I was thinking about this when I was out food shopping tonight.
From birth till the age of around six its called our "formative" years. These indeed are the years we are programmed or formatted by our parents and relatives and child minders or nurseries. A lot of children today are being programmed to believe consumerism is normal and expected way of life. The competition to "have" is bigger than its ever been.

I wonder how that will sit with our future.
Old 26-01-2017, 09:12 PM #54
User banned

User banned

liberalism is the path to hell
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:15 PM #55
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
neoliberalism is the path to hell
Glad we agree
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:27 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Glad we agree
Old 26-01-2017, 09:29 PM #57
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Glad we agree
way to abuse your position with mis quotes
Old 26-01-2017, 09:39 PM #58
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

What a guy

Old 26-01-2017, 09:46 PM #59
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
way to abuse your position with mis quotes
My position? Am I above you then?

Am I your boss now?

Please say it's so
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 12:15 AM #60

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Power corrupts. At face value communism looked like a great idea and look how that turned out. History is full of regimes with good intentions that turned into dictatorships.

Democracy is as good as it's ever going to get.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 01:14 AM #61
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Power corrupts. At face value communism looked like a great idea and look how that turned out. History is full of regimes with good intentions that turned into dictatorships.

Democracy is as good as it's ever going to get.
at least it limits the loony left to 5 year terms
Old 27-01-2017, 03:00 AM #62
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
If not kept in check I'd say it's at risk of corruption, any voting system can be rigged, gerrymandering, misinformation, propaganda, mistruths and media influence all add to this.
You think you have a choice? You don't.
It's interesting that you mention the Media because I tend to notice that whoever the Media tends to give alot of attention too in any country conveniently ends up winning the given Election, and quite coincidently they're business minded people to such a point that the Media get richer and more corrupt whilst the average person is suffering to even have a roof over their head.

Democracy at it's purest form is a great idea, but people do often get manipulated into not voting for their best interests, it's why Donald Trump is President of America, and why we're got Thresa May in Office in this country which she seems to be even more incompetent than Trump who is at least going for people setting up businesses in foreign countries instead of hiring in their own country. But I'm sure the Media in this country will pretend that everything Thresa May does is great because they don't want people to have their own free will and realise that they're being played by the Tories.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:17 AM #63
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
So Democracy is driven by the need for personal freedom... Life… liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but democracy starts to crumble when the tyranny becomes the majority.

My question is, who is the tyrant !?
Dictatorships are tyranny. Some try to suggest democracy leads to tyranny, so why don't those suggesting this offer up a viable alternative then. Maybe because they can't. What most people realise is that democracy is way more preferable to a dictatorship.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 08:18 AM #64
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
It's interesting that you mention the Media because I tend to notice that whoever the Media tends to give alot of attention too in any country conveniently ends up winning the given Election, and quite coincidently they're business minded people to such a point that the Media get richer and more corrupt whilst the average person is suffering to even have a roof over their head.

Democracy at it's purest form is a great idea, but people do often get manipulated into not voting for their best interests, it's why Donald Trump is President of America, and why we're got Thresa May in Office in this country which she seems to be even more incompetent than Trump who is at least going for people setting up businesses in foreign countries instead of hiring in their own country. But I'm sure the Media in this country will pretend that everything Thresa May does is great because they don't want people to have their own free will and realise that they're being played by the Tories.
I believe that the needs and wants of a handful of business leaders are put head and shoulders before the public and any technique that can be utilised to manipulate votes adopted.
Any attempt at freedom of thought or expression is slapped down as pc, sjw, or some other derisory term. We are all being played.
Brexit means brexit.....erm, but business owners can still have the eastern European agency workers for their cheap labour obv.
Old 28-01-2017, 09:43 AM #65
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I believe that the needs and wants of a handful of business leaders are put head and shoulders before the public and any technique that can be utilised to manipulate votes adopted.
Any attempt at freedom of thought or expression is slapped down as pc, sjw, or some other derisory term. We are all being played.
Brexit means brexit.....erm, but business owners can still have the eastern European agency workers for their cheap labour obv.
PC slaps down attempts at freedom of thought and expression which is why it is so unpopular. PC is controlling and attempts to tell others how to think. PC could be described as dictatorial.

PC uses derisory terms to attempt to intimidate others out of expressing free thought when not in keeping with PC thinking - so yes I agree we are certainly being played.

PC has become the monster it claims to abhor.

Last edited by Brillopad; 28-01-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:47 AM #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
PC slaps down attempts at freedom of thought and expression which is why it is so unpopular. PC is controlling and attempts to tell others how to think. PC could be described as dictatorial.

PC uses derisory terms to attempt to intimidate others out of expressing free thought when not in keeping with PC thinking - so yes I agree we are certainly being played.

PC has become the monster it claims to abhor.
I agree...Freedom of speech is the unbridled enemy that helped get Trump his presidency.

We are all sick of having to supress truths by policing our own words/language. Millions of us, in fact hundreds of millions of us have been stopped from expressing our dissatisfaction because of PC.

The opponents of political correctness always said they were crusaders against authoritarianism. In fact, anti-PC has paved the way for the populist authoritarianism now spreading everywhere. Trump is anti-political correctness gone mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-donald-trump
Old 28-01-2017, 11:50 AM #67
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I agree...Freedom of speech is the unbridled enemy that helped get Trump his presidency.

We are all sick of having to supress truths by policing our own words/language. Millions of us, in fact hundreds of millions of us have been stopped from expressing our dissatisfaction because of PC.

The opponents of political correctness always said they were crusaders against authoritarianism. In fact, anti-PC has paved the way for the populist authoritarianism now spreading everywhere. Trump is anti-political correctness gone mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...y-donald-trump
In essence without PC there would be no 'populist authoritarianism'. In other words PC made it's bed and it now has to lie in a bed of anti-PC. .

PC supporters, by behaving in a manner in common with those they deride, have done no favours for the minority groups they proport to defend as they have created a backlash against them due to the way they have chosen to go about it.

They have tried to play the hero and tried to take the moral high ground whilst adopting the type of behaviour they claim to abhor. They have no one to blame but themselves if it has all gone 't**s-up'.

Last edited by Brillopad; 28-01-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 28-01-2017, 12:57 PM #68
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I don't believe that for a second... PC is a blanket term for absolutely anything that is counter to the media inspired standpoint on any given topic.
It has no specific meaning, there has been opposition to the word 'bigot' yet this has a set definition, a criterion, if you make a statement that is by definition bigoted then stand by that and own it... don't cry nonsense words.

PC or politically correct is for me a term that infers something was legislated for and passed into law, if you are politically correct you are acting within the remit of the law...is this not a civil duty, so to go against this would this not be an act of civil disobedience?

'PC supporters, by behaving in a manner in common with those they deride, have done no favours for the minority groups they proport to defend'

What does this mean?... We will attack minority groups even though it is against the law and if you object then you are just making things worse?.... I don't understand, is this another way of saying 'put up and shut up? be complacent? compliant?

I am not 'PC' I am a free thinker, it is a tool of social control to attach labels to things to create folk devils, such as PC , SJW these can then be used to group individuals together who are totally unconnected to make it easier to rail against them.

Those who oppose the mistreatment of any minority group are not to blame for the rise of authoritarianism more those who allowed themselves to be manipulated into thinking that this was a right and proper thing to do on a civil, legal and human level. My feeling is that those against those who aren't is more than likely to do with guilt... they know deep down that it's wrong but it makes them feel bad to be constantly reminded of it. Hence the blanket terms and derision.

Last edited by Kizzy; 28-01-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:07 PM #69
Sod orf

Sod orf

Censorship is the foundation of tyranny.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:13 PM #70
Sod orf

Sod orf

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:36 PM #71
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
Censorship is the foundation of tyranny.
Indeed, but anyone who at this point can't see that all of these entities are working together is in my opinion sadly blinkered. The forces driving over -the-top PC are the same forces that are driving the "backlash" that is currently steering global politics. All designed to play the gullible at both extreme ends of the political spectrum like a ****ing fiddle.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 01:38 PM #72
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I don't believe that for a second... PC is a blanket term for absolutely anything that is counter to the media inspired standpoint on any given topic.
It has no specific meaning, there has been opposition to the word 'bigot' yet this has a set definition, a criterion, if you make a statement that is by definition bigoted then stand by that and own it... don't cry nonsense words.

PC or politically correct is for me a term that infers something was legislated for and passed into law, if you are politically correct you are acting within the remit of the law...is this not a civil duty, so to go against this would this not be an act of civil disobedience?

'PC supporters, by behaving in a manner in common with those they deride, have done no favours for the minority groups they proport to defend'

What does this mean?... We will attack minority groups even though it is against the law and if you object then you are just making things worse?.... I don't understand, is this another way of saying 'put up and shut up? be complacent? compliant?

I am not 'PC' I am a free thinker, it is a tool of social control to attach labels to things to create folk devils, such as PC , SJW these can then be used to group individuals together who are totally unconnected to make it easier to rail against them.

Those who oppose the mistreatment of any minority group are not to blame for the rise of authoritarianism more those who allowed themselves to be manipulated into thinking that this was a right and proper thing to do on a civil, legal and human level. My feeling is that those against those who aren't is more than likely to do with guilt... they know deep down that it's wrong but it makes them feel bad to be constantly reminded of it. Hence the blanket terms and derision.
In brief it means without PC and its attempted gagging of 'free speech' when not in keeping with it's own way of thinking, which has undermined its position with its hypocrisy, a backlash against the principles it claims to uphold would not have been the inevitable result.

It isn't so much about objecting but how people go about objecting. Effectively attempting to gag one type of free speech for another was always going to be a disaster.

Btw we are all free-thinkers but only some of us it seems want to be able to have the right to express free thought.
Old 28-01-2017, 01:46 PM #73
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

People who shape our world eh?...well they got that bit right.

The rest is crap, it wasn't those causing offence who caused great things to happen it was the people who believed in those causes who made them happen, none happened overnight, many were generations in coming.

his whole monologue is nothing but a dig at students that oppose the sun, like that is in any way comparable to the great shifts he uses as a counter, and these are clever people...they go to Oxford. :/
Old 28-01-2017, 01:55 PM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
In brief it means without PC and its attempted gagging of 'free speech' when not in keeping with it's own way of thinking, which has undermined its position with its hypocrisy, a backlash against the principles it claims to uphold would not have been the inevitable result.

It isn't so much about objecting but how people go about objecting. Effectively attempting to gag one type of free speech for another was always going to be a disaster.

Btw we are all free-thinkers but only some of us it seems want to be able to have the right to express free thought.
It is the state who have gagged... if you are referring to the hate laws.
The state is in the driving seat, individuals cannot be collectively a PC... no two individuals have the same views on the same issues, therefor all you have are a bunch of people thinking for themselves.
It is not a backlash against any one group or individual it is a backlash then against the state, these people are simply convenient scapegoats as to backlash against the government is just far too scary a prospect...

If you want to say something say it! don't gust whinge like a girl because you feel you're not allowed because of 'PC' because 'PC' does not exist!

Last edited by Kizzy; 28-01-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:41 PM #75
Banned

Banned

Trump is proving this to be true so far, several Republican majority states are trying to push through laws essentially designed to limit peaceful protesting without technically infringing on the First Amendment plus I've been reading several articles from differing sites that match up and paint a dark image of what's going on in the White House.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
democracy, lead, tyranny