Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-01-2017, 03:28 PM #76
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

'Over this time, I have watched as tobacco, coal, oil, chemicals and biotech companies have poured billions of dollars into an international misinformation machine composed of thinktanks, bloggers and fake citizens’ groups. Its purpose is to portray the interests of billionaires as the interests of the common people, to wage war against trade unions and beat down attempts to regulate business and tax the very rich. Now the people who helped run this machine are shaping the government.'

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tion?CMP=fb_gu
Old 28-01-2017, 06:42 PM #77
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I don't believe that for a second... PC is a blanket term for absolutely anything that is counter to the media inspired standpoint on any given topic.
It has no specific meaning, there has been opposition to the word 'bigot' yet this has a set definition, a criterion, if you make a statement that is by definition bigoted then stand by that and own it... don't cry nonsense words.

PC or politically correct is for me a term that infers something was legislated for and passed into law, if you are politically correct you are acting within the remit of the law...is this not a civil duty, so to go against this would this not be an act of civil disobedience?

'PC supporters, by behaving in a manner in common with those they deride, have done no favours for the minority groups they proport to defend'

What does this mean?... We will attack minority groups even though it is against the law and if you object then you are just making things worse?.... I don't understand, is this another way of saying 'put up and shut up? be complacent? compliant?

I am not 'PC' I am a free thinker, it is a tool of social control to attach labels to things to create folk devils, such as PC , SJW these can then be used to group individuals together who are totally unconnected to make it easier to rail against them.

Those who oppose the mistreatment of any minority group are not to blame for the rise of authoritarianism more those who allowed themselves to be manipulated into thinking that this was a right and proper thing to do on a civil, legal and human level. My feeling is that those against those who aren't is more than likely to do with guilt... they know deep down that it's wrong but it makes them feel bad to be constantly reminded of it. Hence the blanket terms and derision.
The word 'bigot' may have a set definition but people apply that definition according to their own perception of what they think someone means or an agenda - it certainly doesn't make the use of the word in any given situation correct.

As for the mistreatment of any minority group - again that often comes down to perception/agenda. Wanting to protect the quality of life in their own country and protect British culture and identity is not 'mistreating' minority groups however much PC twists things, using derisive and blanket terms in an attempt to gag their freedom of speech.

Not wanting certain religions to have their own laws and indulge in behaviours that flout our equality laws is not mistreatment of minorities it is standing up for our own beliefs and way of life and not allowing those to be mistreated by minority groups who have no respect for them.

Last edited by Brillopad; 28-01-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 06:55 PM #78
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
The word 'bigot' may have a set definition but people apply that definition according to their own perception of what they think someone means or an agenda - it certainly doesn't make the use of the word in any given situation correct.

As for the mistreatment of any minority group - again that often comes down to perception/agenda. Wanting to protect the quality of life in their own country and protect British culture and identity is not 'mistreating' minority groups however much PC twists things, using derisive and blanket terms in an attempt to gag their freedom of speech.

Not wanting certain religions to have their own laws and indulge in behaviours that flout our equality laws is not mistreatment of minorities it is standing up for our own beliefs and way of life and not allowing those to be mistreated by minority groups who have no respect for them.
So in other words... It's not PC to call someone a bigot?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:24 PM #79
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
So in other words... It's not PC to call someone a bigot?
Just uninformed.
Old 28-01-2017, 09:41 PM #80
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Out of interest what would an example of a bigoted comment be for you,
If it is so ambiguous and meanings differ based on perception?

Who ever said protecting British culture was mistreating minorities?... you're projecting here.

The example in your last comment is most strange, you appear to be referring to a specific group, is it Jewish?... They have their own courts and schools.
Old 28-01-2017, 09:42 PM #81
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Just uninformed.
Is it uninformed to call someone PC? or a SJW?...
Old 28-01-2017, 09:45 PM #82
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Is it uninformed to call someone PC? or a SJW?...
Not when in response to being called a bigot, seems quite tame in comparison.

Last edited by Brillopad; 28-01-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 28-01-2017, 09:52 PM #83
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Out of interest what would an example of a bigoted comment be for you,
If it is so ambiguous and meanings differ based on perception?

Who ever said protecting British culture was mistreating minorities?... you're projecting here.

The example in your last comment is most strange, you appear to be referring to a specific group, is it Jewish?... They have their own courts and schools.
Oh come on you're a regular on here. How about all the times that comment is thrown at anyone who says that don't support mass immigration - so that makes them a bigot does it. As I said perception and agendas.

I have no issues with Jewish culture as I don't see it being rammed down our throats or blatantly disrespecting our equality laws.
Old 28-01-2017, 09:55 PM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
What if it's not in response to being called a bigot?
Why is it tame, do you feel that being labeled a bigot is worse than being labeled 'PC'?
Old 28-01-2017, 09:55 PM #85
-

-

Quote:
How about "hypocrite"? Where does that fall on the snowflake spectrum?
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 10:00 PM #86
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
How about "hypocrite"? Where does that fall on the snowflake spectrum?
You tell me.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:06 PM #87
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Oh come on you're a regular on here. How about all the times that comment is thrown at anyone who says that don't support mass immigration - so that makes them a bigot does it. As I said perception and agendas.

I have no issues with Jewish culture as I don't see it being rammed down our throats or blatantly disrespecting our equality laws.

If a bigoted remark has been made then yes I've seen people being accused of bigotry, just because you don't accept the terms of the definition it doesn't make it so, your example of mass immigration is one issue... there are literally 100's of examples of remarks which have had 'PC' or 'SJW' pinned to them across many topics.

Did you miss this?
I only post this as a point of reference you understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...others-driving
Old 28-01-2017, 10:16 PM #88
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Bigot isn't a dirty word, you keep trying to make it into an insult so you can create your little safe space but it's not going to work. If someone accuses you of being a bigot then it's down to you to prove them wrong, it shouldn't be difficult if you don't hold bigoted views.

Trying to make it that calling someone bigoted is different from branding them PC or loony left or any of the other tired catchphrases LT relies on is both hilarious and hypocritical.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 10:28 PM #89
User banned

User banned

Quote:
If a bigoted remark has been made then yes I've seen people being accused of bigotry, just because you don't accept the terms of the definition it doesn't make it so, your example of mass immigration is one issue... there are literally 100's of examples of remarks which have had 'PC' or 'SJW' pinned to them across many topics.

Did you miss this?
I only post this as a point of reference you understand.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...others-driving
That rabi is an idiot. First time I have heard of this, but I have heard of it a lot more in another religion.

Is's not just about whether I accept the definition or not it is also about whether a bigoted remark was made or whether the allegation was made based on ignorance, influence of personal opinion or agenda.

You imply that if someone makes an allegation then it must be so. There are so many variables to consider in determining why that person made that remark.

Btw the same also applies with people calling people PC etc - if you want to believe the person throwing allegations around is always right, then it works both ways.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:35 PM #90
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Bigot isn't a dirty word, you keep trying to make it into an insult so you can create your little safe space but it's not going to work. If someone accuses you of being a bigot then it's down to you to prove them wrong, it shouldn't be difficult if you don't hold bigoted views.

Trying teo make it that calling someone bigoted is different from branding them PC or loony left or any of the other tired catchphrases LT relies on is both hilarious and hypocritical.
Ooh it isn't going to work.

It's down to the accuser to prove their allegation, not the accused to prove their innocence.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:43 PM #91
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Ooh it isn't going to work.

It's down to the accuser to prove their allegation, not the accused to prove their innocence.
It's not, it's silly to act like Bigot is some forbidden word just because you're scared of being called out as one. It's Serious Debates, defend yourself and your ideals.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:53 PM #92
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It's not, it's silly to act like Bigot is some forbidden word just because you're scared of being called out as one. It's Serious Debates, defend yourself and your ideals.
As usual you miss the point. I don't much care if you me a bigot because you throw that word around too often, so it has little value - I might care more if it came from someone else.

As for defending myself - read the thread and I think anyone who can read can see I have done exactly that.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:56 PM #93
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
That rabi is an idiot. First time I have heard of this, but I have heard of it a lot more in another religion.

Is's not just about whether I accept the definition or not it is also about whether a bigoted remark was made or whether the allegation was made based on ignorance, influence of personal opinion or agenda.

You imply that if someone makes an allegation then it must be so. There are so many variables to consider in determining why that person made that remark.

Btw the same also applies with people calling people PC etc - if you want to believe the person throwing allegations around is always right, then it works both ways.
Based on ignorance? it's a little more black and white than that you can't be a little bit bigoted and it really isn't down to interpretation as such.
I don't imply anything, there is no real scenario here to compare.

If someone makes a comment that fills the dictionary definition of what a bigot is then where's the harm in calling it out?...
There is less scope for being wrong as the parimetres are more clearly defined.
For a blanket term such as 'PC' first you have to explain what ''PC' means to you, then apply it to the situation.
Old 28-01-2017, 10:57 PM #94
Banned

Banned

Quote:
As usual you miss the point. I don't much care if you me a bigot because you throw that word around too often, so it has little value - I might care more if it came from someone else.

As for defending myself - read the thread and I think anyone who can read can see I have done exactly that.
I don't think I've any member on here a bigot in ages so there's no need to lie, Wombai.
Old 28-01-2017, 11:01 PM #95
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Based on ignorance? it's a little more black and white than that you can't be a little bit bigoted and it really isn't down to interpretation as such.
I don't imply anything, there is no real scenario here to compare.

If someone makes a comment that fills the dictionary definition of what a bigot is then where's the harm in calling it out?...
There is less scope for being wrong as the parimetres are more clearly defined.
For a blanket term such as 'PC' first you have to explain what ''PC' means to you, then apply it to the situation.
I have been called a bigot by a particular person for saying I did not support mass immigration - twist it all you like that does not fill the dictionary definition. Assumptions were made by the accuser, as usual, as soon as they heard the word 'immigration'. As I said perception and agenda.
Old 28-01-2017, 11:03 PM #96
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I don't think I've any member on here a bigot in ages so there's no need to lie, Wombai.
I can always tell when you are getting desperate - out comes the w word. Predictable as ever.

By the way I thought baiting wasn't allowed on this site!

Last edited by Brillopad; 28-01-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 28-01-2017, 11:03 PM #97
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I have been called a bigot by a particular person for saying I did not support mass immigration - twist it all you like that does not fill the dictionary definition. Assumptions were made by the accuser, as usual, as soon as they heard the word 'immigration'. As I said perception and agenda.
Without seeing the wording of your post it's impossible to say if it was or wasn't.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
democracy, lead, tyranny