Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:25 PM #126
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
From my point of view, I think the problem people have with Trump (and why it's not publicised as much as the example you gave) is because he's a leader of a Western country, like the UK, like Ireland, like Australia etc etc So, it feels like he's speaking for us in a way, as a western society. It's like everytime there's a terror attack in a Western country or not even a terror attack any type of disaster or tragedy, it's publicised much more in our media because it feels more relate-able, we're not part of the same country but it would be silly to suggest that western countries don't share a commonality and feel some sort of kinship towards eachother. He in a way represents us as in the Wests way of life
Yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying. But it does kind of endorse the nature of the Trump protest which has mostly been carried out by people who claim to be aware of the world's injustice but seem quite blinkered in which cause they choose to stand against. (I am not referring to anyone specifically on this site, I'm making a general statement.) It's a similar position, I think, to Russia bombing the bejesus out of Aleppo and the Stop The War Coalition, who are aggressive in their opposition to the involvement of the UK and the USA but who were ominously silent about Russia. If you're going to be outraged, you're going to have to be outraged about all of them. We've hosted more odious people than Trump, and in any case, I wouldn't be at all surprised if his term of office is considerably less than four years. And I'd be happy with that.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:26 PM #127
Banned

Banned

Quote:
From my point of view, I think the problem people have with Trump (and why it's not publicised as much as the example you gave) is because he's a leader of a Western country, like the UK, like Ireland, like Australia etc etc So, it feels like he's speaking for us in a way, as a western society. It's like everytime there's a terror attack in a Western country or not even a terror attack any type of disaster or tragedy, it's publicised much more in our media because it feels more relate-able, we're not part of the same country but it would be silly to suggest that western countries don't share a commonality and feel some sort of kinship towards eachother. He in a way represents us as in the Wests way of life
Exactly.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:35 PM #128
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Yeah, I don't disagree with what you're saying. But it does kind of endorse the nature of the Trump protest which has mostly been carried out by people who claim to be aware of the world's injustice but seem quite blinkered in which cause they choose to stand against. (I am not referring to anyone specifically on this site, I'm making a general statement.) It's a similar position, I think, to Russia bombing the bejesus out of Aleppo and the Stop The War Coalition, who are aggressive in their opposition to the involvement of the UK and the USA but who were ominously silent about Russia. If you're going to be outraged, you're going to have to be outraged about all of them. We've hosted more odious people than Trump, and in any case, I wouldn't be at all surprised if his term of office is considerably less than four years. And I'd be happy with that.
I think this point is just plain silly and various versions of it have been brought up repeatedly in this thrad. People are allowed to care about whichever causes they want to choose to care about. They don't have to fulfill some sort of protest quota to validate their opinion.

I could probably go into any thread and say 'well that point of view is irrelevant since you don't care about all these other issues relating to the subject at hand so your opinion is invalid.' It's just a lazy way of trying to shut down someone's opinion without dealing with their argument.

Last edited by Tom4784; 03-02-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:41 PM #129
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Again, it goes back to my original point, Putin is basically a dictator of a communist country, he isn't "one of us" the UK and the USA are, so we(the royal we) feel like they will listen to us, It's hard to articulate what i mean to say. Do you understand what I mean?

Putin is a nut job, the Russians hold very different values to us as a society where as the USA in general are quite like us, alot of them are unhappy with how things are in the States atm too. I don't think people protesting about Russia would make any bit of difference but it might do in a democratic and free society like ours.

ETA :

Basically imo ISIS is succeeding even more than we think by dividing Western society, pitting us all against eachother and destroying the values we spent years building. Trump is an example of this especially, building walls, banning refugees, hang up on other western world leaders, making us enemies rather than allies. In my opinion this is a more successful terrorist attack on our society than any of the bombs they set off

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 03-02-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:27 PM #130

There is absolutely no doubt that Trumps presidency will have a rubbing off effect on the UK; why wouldn't it when the U.S is our biggest ally?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM #131
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
There is absolutely no doubt that Trumps presidency will have a rubbing off effect on the UK; why wouldn't it when the U.S is our biggest ally?
I'd love to get rubbed off by an American.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 PM #132
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I think this point is just plain silly and various versions of it have been brought up repeatedly in this thrad. People are allowed to care about whichever causes they want to choose to care about. They don't have to fulfill some sort of protest quota to validate their opinion.

I could probably go into any thread and say 'well that point of view is irrelevant since you don't care about all these other issues relating to the subject at hand so your opinion is invalid.' It's just a lazy way of trying to shut down someone's opinion without dealing with their argument.
Just as people can choose to leave Europe and oppose mass immigration.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 PM #133
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Just as people can choose to leave Europe and oppose mass immigration.
That has nothing to do with what I'm saying but okay? Thank you for stating the obvious, I guess?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM #134
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That has nothing to do with what I'm saying but okay? Thank you for stating the obvious, I guess?
It's about freedom of choice and validity of opinion so it's relevant.

Last edited by Brillopad; 03-02-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:56 PM #135
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's about freedom of choice and validity of opinion so it's relevant.
Not really since I wasn't arguing against people having the right to say if they want to leave the EU or if they want immigration control?

You're basically just repeating what I've been saying all along...
Old 03-02-2017, 06:01 PM #136
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Not really since I wasn't arguing against people having the right to say if they want to leave the EU or if they want immigration control?

You're basically just repeating what I've been saying all along...
It's about the principle not the subject matter. Freedom of choice is freedom of choice - it isn't for some to say they should be able to choose this but others should not be able to choose that.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:58 PM #137
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
You started this whole ridiculous, off-topic discussion when you replied to a post of mine that I made to someone else. I'd call that nit picking.

Aaaanyhoo.... back on topic.

I see that Kuwait has stopped issuing visas for five majority Muslim countries, including Pakistan. Racists and Nazis? Can we expect some outraged protesters outside the Kuwaiti embassy today, or is the issue just with Trump? Interestingly, there's no word of the Kuwaiti ban in mainstream media. Funny that.
Nope I questioned if it was offensive, it's a debate .... I got involved in the debate.
Once again you attempt to muddy the waters by deferring to other parts of the world those of which you could never consider as part of the free world, or have any cultural connection whatsoever to western cultural norms.

So yes, it is just with trump, for the reasons outlined above, there is a duty to remain progressive. .. To accept so readily regressive autocratic decisions from him is funny.
No that's the wrong word not funny......horrifying, yes, that's a better word.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:15 PM #138
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Again, it goes back to my original point, Putin is basically a dictator of a communist country, he isn't "one of us" the UK and the USA are, so we(the royal we) feel like they will listen to us, It's hard to articulate what i mean to say. Do you understand what I mean?

Putin is a nut job, the Russians hold very different values to us as a society where as the USA in general are quite like us, alot of them are unhappy with how things are in the States atm too. I don't think people protesting about Russia would make any bit of difference but it might do in a democratic and free society like ours.

ETA :

Basically imo ISIS is succeeding even more than we think by dividing Western society, pitting us all against eachother and destroying the values we spent years building. Trump is an example of this especially, building walls, banning refugees, hang up on other western world leaders, making us enemies rather than allies. In my opinion this is a more successful terrorist attack on our society than any of the bombs they set off
I do understand what you're saying. However... I don't agree that people in the UK and Ireland (etc) are only interested in Trump because he is Western. People are concerned about the Middle East, they are concerned about Syria, North Africa, they're aware of the refugee crisis etc. In these times of mass media we can all see what's going on the world over. So I find it hard to believe that people don't demonstrate against non-western dickheads because they don't identify with them.

And Trump is a dickhead, I totally buy that.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:17 PM #139
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

From everything I said in my thread, that's all you took? The opportunity to intimate I'm silly and lazy and like to shut down people's opinions? I think you'll find the rest of my post was relevant but you chose not to address any other part if it.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:31 PM #140
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I do understand what you're saying. However... I don't agree that people in the UK and Ireland (etc) are only interested in Trump because he is Western. People are concerned about the Middle East, they are concerned about Syria, North Africa, they're aware of the refugee crisis etc. In these times of mass media we can all see what's going on the world over. So I find it hard to believe that people don't demonstrate against non-western dickheads because they don't identify with them.

And Trump is a dickhead, I totally buy that.
I know you aren't a Trump fan, don't worry

I can't speak for everyone who is anti trump etc but that is how I feel about it anyway, I worry that our western society is going backwards or in a direction I don't like

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:41 PM #141
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It's about the principle not the subject matter. Freedom of choice is freedom of choice - it isn't for some to say they should be able to choose this but others should not be able to choose that.
Why are you basically repeating at me what I've been saying the entire thread?
Old 04-02-2017, 02:56 PM #142
Banned

Banned

Quote:
From everything I said in my thread, that's all you took? The opportunity to intimate I'm silly and lazy and like to shut down people's opinions? I think you'll find the rest of my post was relevant but you chose not to address any other part if it.
I said that the argument you were making was silly and lazy, not you.

Also your post was pretty much summed up in the part I bolded, You weren't saying anything other than the people who oppose Trump should also oppose Russia's actions in Aleppo which was essentially what you were saying in the bolded point, thus speaking about the rest of the post is pointless, it's an example not an argument.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:08 PM #143

Quote:
I know you aren't a Trump fan, don't worry

I can't speak for everyone who is anti trump etc but that is how I feel about it anyway, I worry that our western society is going backwards or in a direction I don't like

Fine Lady
its good for free trade
8 years of a better way of life.

Folks can protest forever
it changes nothing.

Business is as Usual
no fuss is needed.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:31 PM #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Fine Lady
its good for free trade
8 years of a better way of life..
A better way of life for who?

Quote:

Folks can protest forever
it changes nothing..
And the alternative?
To role over and take it like a bitch?

Quote:

Business is as Usual
no fuss is needed.
But its not business as usual for many Americans is it?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:46 PM #145
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nope I questioned if it was offensive, it's a debate .... I got involved in the debate.
Once again you attempt to muddy the waters by deferring to other parts of the world those of which you could never consider as part of the free world, or have any cultural connection whatsoever to western cultural norms.

So yes, it is just with trump, for the reasons outlined above, there is a duty to remain progressive. .. To accept so readily regressive autocratic decisions from him is funny.
No that's the wrong word not funny......horrifying, yes, that's a better word.
I don't really see the logic of only holding progressive societies to account and letting more primitive ones off the hook because they are more primitive.

The Saudis for instance are hardly primitive, they just choose to hide behind it when it suits and the same pretty much applies to the rest of them.

When there are plenty of Western mugs out there defending their primitiveness to the hilt they are laughing their stinking sandals off.

I thought the general belief in this country was 'ignorance was no defence'. Just one rule for them then. I find that pretty horrifying!

Last edited by Brillopad; 04-02-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 PM #146

Unless you are interested enough, you won't know about the mass protests against drones in Syria, the anti war coalition or protests against the cruel Indian PM visiting the UK etc, etc, but, at this moment in time, Trump is the hot topic on everyone's lips and that's why this topic is about Trump and not all the other protests that go on in and around parliament.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM #147

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Totally agree
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:18 PM #148

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

It's not lazy it's pointing out blatant hypocrisy.
It's not about "not caring about all these other issues".
The post you quoted mentioned the 'Stop the war coalition'.
An obvious anti-western organisation who have been quoted as saying they "oppose the west"
"The real enemy, Mr Nineham informed listeners, is the West: “Everyone who has got a sense of duty for the peace of the planet needs to mobilise everything they can against that and that means opposing the West.”

Another quote

Take this quote from 2006 by John Rees, the national officer of Stop the War: “Socialists should unconditionally stand with the oppressed against the oppressor [a STW euphemism for the West], even if the people who run the oppressed country are undemocratic and persecute minorities, like Saddam Hussein.”

Oh and

'But in the context of STW’s other leaders, siding with Saddam is almost moderate. Its former chair, Andrew Murray, is a proud Stalinist who on the anniversary of his hero’s birth attacked "hack propagandists [who] abominate the name of Stalin beyond all others".

Unsurprisingly, he reveres North Korea, and has pointed out that his “basic position of solidarity with People[']s Korea [is] clear”.

Many of(not all) these protesters are communist and have anti western views.
It's not a lazy argument to point this out.There is a clear agenda with sections of these protests to support anyone who is not on our side.
If they're against western involvement in Syria because it is seen as unnecessary killing then why wouldn't they be against Russia who actually are brutally killing civilians and blowing up aid convoys?It's part of the same "issue".Only the worst half of it apparently slips by these people.
Everyone rallying against Trump is fine.He is a liability but there is far far worse **** going on that many of these people don't care about or in worse cases (i.e Stop the war) actually support the brutal regimes.So it does appear extremely hypocritical.When we get protests outside the Russian embassy aswell and against the brutal dictators killing people on the daily and against terror attacks on western soil then maybe anti Trump protests won't look so hypocritical.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...?client=safari
Old 04-02-2017, 09:26 PM #149
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
It's not lazy it's pointing out blatant hypocrisy.
It's not about "not caring about all these other issues".
The post you quoted mentioned the 'Stop the war coalition'.
An obvious anti-western organisation who have been quoted as saying they "oppose the west"
"The real enemy, Mr Nineham informed listeners, is the West: “Everyone who has got a sense of duty for the peace of the planet needs to mobilise everything they can against that and that means opposing the West.”

Another quote

Take this quote from 2006 by John Rees, the national officer of Stop the War: “Socialists should unconditionally stand with the oppressed against the oppressor [a STW euphemism for the West], even if the people who run the oppressed country are undemocratic and persecute minorities, like Saddam Hussein.”

Oh and

'But in the context of STW’s other leaders, siding with Saddam is almost moderate. Its former chair, Andrew Murray, is a proud Stalinist who on the anniversary of his hero’s birth attacked "hack propagandists [who] abominate the name of Stalin beyond all others".

Unsurprisingly, he reveres North Korea, and has pointed out that his “basic position of solidarity with People[']s Korea [is] clear”.

Many of(not all) these protesters are communist and have anti western views.
It's not a lazy argument to point this out.There is a clear agenda with sections of these protests to support anyone who is not on our side.
If they're against western involvement in Syria because it is seen as unnecessary killing then why wouldn't they be against Russia who actually are brutally killing civilians and blowing up aid convoys?It's part of the same "issue".Only the worst half of it apparently slips by these people.
Everyone rallying against Trump is fine.He is a liability but there is far far worse **** going on that many of these people don't care about or in worse cases (i.e Stop the war) actually support the brutal regimes.So it does appear extremely hypocritical.When we get protests outside the Russian embassy aswell and against the brutal dictators killing people on the daily and against terror attacks on western soil then maybe anti Trump protests won't look so hypocritical.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...?client=safari
And none of this affects people's right to choose to protest Trump or any issue they personally care about.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 PM #150

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Stop The war Coalition showing great support and solidarity for the victims of the Paris attacks -
Green MP Caroline Lucas has quit as patron of the controversial Stop the War Coalition after the group claimed Paris had “reaped the whirlwind of western support for extremist violence in Middle East”.

This statement was put out right after the attacks

http://m.huffpost.com/uk/entry/8748250

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 04-02-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
omg, petition, state, time, trump, visit