Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:40 AM #51

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Well i still don't know if his comments are offensive or not.Maybe ill advised in an organisation that's known for anti-semitism.
I suppose it's like the old fella who wound the clock up in the train station who was overheard talking about immigration.
While you're in a proffessional setting you should probably avoid topics that your organisation don't want you addressing while at work.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 AM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
We don't have a Labour government.
freudian slip of the tongue!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:42 AM #53
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I worked for the Conservative party. Are there some anti-Semites in there? Yes. A similar amount as in Labour? God, no... Does producing a cut-and-paste job about the Tories make Labour's comments okay? No, of course not. It's unacceptable wherever it originates, but Labour, and Corbynites in particular, are making a hobby of it.
Yes you did, do I feel that makes you slightly biased....yes.

The 'cut and paste job' is an effective way, short of finding Mr Pickles and requesting a taped interview of posting information to the forum.
Of course I don't feel that it's excusable for offensive comments to be tweeted or stated by a representative of a political party, but the suggestion of late that it is somehow institutionally endemic within Labour and it's members is ridiculous.

As you have highlighted yourself my feeling is the antisemitic accusations are a ruse by the anticorbynites, as in it's nothing more than a tool to create a public backlash at this left leaning Labour leader.
I do not feel comfortable that antisemetism is being used in this way.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:01 PM #54

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Mr. Corbyn can't have been too happy with his friend getting off so lightly if he wants another inquiry.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:11 PM #55
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Well i still don't know if his comments are offensive or not.Maybe ill advised in an organisation that's known for anti-semitism.
I suppose it's like the old fella who wound the clock up in the train station who was overheard talking about immigration.
While you're in a proffessional setting you should probably avoid topics that your organisation don't want you addressing while at work.
Propaganda -1 people - 0
Old 06-04-2017, 12:28 PM #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Propaganda -1 people - 0
You know what mortifies me; the pure naivety of the British public over this incident. The press and Right wingers, some of who also have no understanding of what Livingstone said, can turn this guy into a sacrificial lamb even though nothing he said was anti-Semitism. They rely on our ignorance folk, this is the bullet they needed to destroy what’s left of the Labour Party.

Corbyn now has to get rid of Ken because there's simply no other way to save himself or his party members. I understand why he's doing it but this has to be a sad day in history.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:57 PM #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Mr. Corbyn can't have been too happy with his friend getting off so lightly if he wants another inquiry.
Yes a inquiry for sacking only
they are all ganging up on ken
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:46 PM #58
User banned

User banned

but what is anti semetic about what hes said
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:50 PM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
but what is anti semetic about what hes said
Which ever way you look at it, he said nothing anti-Semetic.

There are many Jews who don’t support racism, and will never support the ill treatment the Palestinians receive. Many Jews see Zionism as an evil that created a racist state and so to call anti-Zionism "anti-Semitism," verges on obscene.

Don’t get me wrong here, I believe the Jews are far more sinned upon than do the sinning. The reason Zionism grew like it did is because of post traumatic periods in history. Jewish people have spent too long being expelled from tribal lands but for Zionist forces to do the same to the Arabs makes them just as tribal and barbaric as the rest.

What we have to accept is, if you are a Zionist Jew then for you, Zionism is at the very heart of being Jewish and so you could be offended when someone speaks out against Zionism. What the Zionists must accept is, many of those speaking out are none Zionist Jews and for that reason alone, It can't be seen as anti-Semitism
Old 06-04-2017, 04:30 PM #60
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Which ever way you look at it, he said nothing anti-Semetic.

There are many Jews who don’t support racism, and will never support the ill treatment the Palestinians receive. Many Jews see Zionism as an evil that created a racist state and so to call anti-Zionism "anti-Semitism," verges on obscene.

Don’t get me wrong here, I believe the Jews are far more sinned upon than do the sinning. The reason Zionism grew like it did is because of post traumatic periods in history. Jewish people have spent too long being expelled from tribal lands but for Zionist forces to do the same to the Arabs makes them just as tribal and barbaric as the rest.

What we have to accept is, if you are a Zionist Jew then for you, Zionism is at the very heart of being Jewish and so you could be offended when someone speaks out against Zionism. What the Zionists must accept is, many of those speaking out are none Zionist Jews and for that reason alone, It can't be seen as anti-Semitism

the news media is hysterical, they seem to label so much as anti semitism when clearly in some cases its either a criticism of israel or support of palestinians. in this case its merely a conversation about whether the nazis ever supported zionism. I cant see why merely discussing that is racist. but maybe I am missing the intent or connotation here
Old 06-04-2017, 04:44 PM #61

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Does anyone know why he said it yet?or in what context?
Old 06-04-2017, 05:26 PM #62

Quote:
the news media is hysterical, they seem to label so much as anti semitism when clearly in some cases its either a criticism of israel or support of palestinians. in this case its merely a conversation about whether the nazis ever supported zionism. I cant see why merely discussing that is racist. but maybe I am missing the intent or connotation here
What he touched upon was The Haavara Agreement Transfer https://academic.oup.com/leobaeck/ar...rectedFrom=PDF
Old 06-04-2017, 05:30 PM #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Does anyone know why he said it yet?or in what context?
There's a video with what he actually said here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xpulsion-video
Old 06-04-2017, 06:45 PM #64
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Very good article which people should read if they don't understand why Livingston has upset so many people with his comments. What he said is one interpretation of events but in history there is very little that is 'fact'.

Quote:
So … Ken … A lot of people – predominantly the good people, of course, of the British left – have been tweeting to tell me that Ken just “stated a fact”. Here is the problem with what Livingstone said. Because Ken Livingstone did not state a fact.

The statement “Hitler supported Zionism” is not a fact. It’s an interpretation. An interpretation of a particular historical moment, in the 1930s, when the forced emigration of Jews from Germany was pushed further along by various Nazi economic incentives allowing those who fled to Palestine to get some of their stolen assets back.

That is not Adolf Hitler supporting the idea of a Jewish state (even writing that sentence looks ridiculous). It is the Nazis taking advantage of the terror and despair of fleeing refugees to get more of them to leave the country. It is just the thin edge of the wedge of Nazi horror.

The real problem, in a way, is the tone of Livingstone when giving this interpretation. There’s no sympathy. No compassion – no sense of the tragedy behind this. It’s just complacently presented as a deal that Hitler made with German Zionists, and therefore – and this, of course, is the point, the banal, **** point – a way of confirming that Zionism is bad. Through an association with the top bad thing, Hitler.

I’ll leave with the words of Adolf Hitler in Mein Kampf, before he went mad, according to Livingstone. So exactly in that period when he was, as we know, supporting Zionism. I may have as much of a tin ear for meaning as Livingstone has for antisemitism, but I can’t, for the life of me, make this out to be as pro the idea of the creation of a Jewish state as Livingstone insists it is: “While the Zionists try to make the rest of the World believe that the national consciousness of the Jew finds its satisfaction in the creation of a Palestinian state, the Jews again slyly dupe the dumb Goyim. It doesn’t even enter their heads to build up a Jewish state in Palestine for the purpose of living there; all they want is a central organisation for their international world swindler, endowed with its own sovereign rights and removed from the intervention of other states: a haven for convicted scoundrels and a university for budding crooks.”

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...r-zionism-jews
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM #65

There is enough old documentation on this to accept it as fact but certain people clearly try and rubbish this. If it wasn't fact, why did Goebbels have a special coin minted to celebrate Zionism? The coin had a Star of David on one side and a Swastika on the other side. http://azvsas.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07...hree-card.html
Old 07-04-2017, 08:29 AM #66

This wasn’t about making Zionism bad (according to David Baddiel’s article in the Guardian). Zionism formed its own reputation long after the formation of Israel. None of us would be talking about Zionism now if they were all living happily under the same balmy sky. Try looking at a map of Israel and Palestine 100 years ago and then compare it with a map of Israel and Palestine today. Ethnic cleansing is the thing that disturbs many of us about Zionism, not Germany offering them a resettlement agreement nearly a hundred years ago.

I’m sure people don’t give a damn what the Germans did for the Zionists, its just a small part in history and at best, interesting. To suggest it made Zionists Nazi supporters is just as ridiculous than calling Zionism anti-Semitic.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:49 AM #67
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It never fails to amaze me the lengths some people will go to in order to excuse anti-Semitism. It's the same people who are all over any kind of negatively toward any other group. And so shall it always be. Saying there is no evidence of Labour's anti-Semitism and the fact that it's more widespread in Corbyn's Labour than it is in any other party.

Thank you MTVN for a little balance, I knew there had to be some in there somewhere and it didn't necessarily have to come from me.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:01 PM #68
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I said earlier here I wished Livingstone would keep quiet.

However whether he is wrong as to his perception of history or right in parts.

The charge of anti semitism against him is ridiculous and those that level same do a massive injustice as to clearing out anti semitism from all Parties and throughout society where any anti semitism may exist too.

Really the witch hunts on this in the media particularly are becoming more pure spite likely than much of real anti semitic substance.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:28 PM #69
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
It never fails to amaze me the lengths some people will go to in order to excuse anti-Semitism. It's the same people who are all over any kind of negatively toward any other group. And so shall it always be. Saying there is no evidence of Labour's anti-Semitism and the fact that it's more widespread in Corbyn's Labour than it is in any other party.

Thank you MTVN for a little balance, I knew there had to be some in there somewhere and it didn't necessarily have to come from me.
It's called being objective Livia.
I haven't said there is no evidence within Labour at all therefore your twisting has fallen at the first hurdle, my point was, is and will continue to be that it exists in all parties and it is wrongly being ascribed to Labour only due to an orchestrated media campaign.

Your 'balance' consists of of journalists opinion which in other threads you have explicitly rubbished as worthless....that is until they marry with your standpoint.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:52 PM #70

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
There's a video with what he actually said here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xpulsion-video
Right so he was defending Naz Shah on a radio show.
Old 07-04-2017, 02:53 PM #71

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Very good article which people should read if they don't understand why Livingston has upset so many people with his comments. What he said is one interpretation of events but in history there is very little that is 'fact'.
Very interesting
Old 07-04-2017, 06:12 PM #72
User banned

User banned

there is a lot of racism in both parties but more anti semitism it seems within labour atm...though id still question if this is anti semitism with livingstone
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 PM #73
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
there is a lot of racism in both parties but more anti semitism it seems within labour atm...though id still question if this is anti semitism with livingstone
It's scary that he thinks like that and feels free to voice it. And really, if it was just this, it would have been forgotten now. But add it to all the other claims that Jewish MPs and party members have made, all the hearings and party expulsions on the grounds of anti-Semitism, and you'll see Labour is waaaay out in front in the anti-Semitic stakes. The evidence is there.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:10 PM #74

These are the protests right wing media don't want you to see.

Do you think the people here are anti-Semitic or anti-Zionist?

http://www.realnews247.com/spec_rpt_...st_zionism.htm
Old 08-04-2017, 08:45 AM #75
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You are right to question that,because it isn't anti semitism from Livingstone.
It is more likely being used as such which actually does a massive disservice as to dealing with genuine anti semitism,no matter where it may be.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
calls, disciplinary, hearing, ken, livingston, unfair