Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 31-03-2017, 01:30 PM #1
User banned

User banned

Default Why is corbyn only angry about grammar schools?

He seems to say so little about the IRA, hezbollah, the bankrupt british economy under labour...the mrsa outbreak and the mass of abuses and enormous growth of middle management and chief executive salaries in the nhs under labour....he says nothing about the doctors contract signed by labour in 2004 that basically allowed 90% of doctors to opt out of out of hours work which is the main cause of the massive strain on hospital doctors , says so little about tariffs on illegal chinese steel dumping, says so little about the industries which should be his bread and butter...he is flakey on nuclear, even flakier on europe, flakey on answering whether police should be armed....about the only other thing he gets slightly excited about is corporate greed, fair enough, that is in my opinion the biggest issue of our time. But what are you going to do about it mr corbyn?

I dont think hes necessarily a bad person, I just dont understand him, which is he all over the map? where is his strategy? sadly his delivery is poor at the despatch box , so whatever he is trying to achieve he seems incapable of putting across....I cant help but thinking him and mcdonnell should swap places
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 02:06 PM #2

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
He seems to say so little about the IRA, hezbollah, the bankrupt british economy under labour...the mrsa outbreak and the mass of abuses and enormous growth of middle management and chief executive salaries in the nhs under labour....he says nothing about the doctors contract signed by labour in 2004 that basically allowed 90% of doctors to opt out of out of hours work which is the main cause of the massive strain on hospital doctors , says so little about tariffs on illegal chinese steel dumping, says so little about the industries which should be his bread and butter...he is flakey on nuclear, even flakier on europe, flakey on answering whether police should be armed....about the only other thing he gets slightly excited about is corporate greed, fair enough, that is in my opinion the biggest issue of our time. But what are you going to do about it mr corbyn?

I dont think hes necessarily a bad person, I just dont understand him, which is he all over the map? where is his strategy? sadly his delivery is poor at the despatch box , so whatever he is trying to achieve he seems incapable of putting across....I cant help but thinking him and mcdonnell should swap places
Maybe it is personal, he went to grammar school, perhaps he didn't like it, or it didn't bring out the best in him.
Shame he thinks it's fair to stop others doing what he did.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 02:37 PM #3
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

He feels it will deepen the class divide possibly?
Old 31-03-2017, 02:49 PM #4
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
why is he still on about class? most peoples problems are economic and labour destroyed the economy....as for social mobility, councils under labour are on average much poorer than the tory ones....labour councils are notorious for ruining their local economies which in turn makes social mobility harder and reduces the funding available for public services...yet another issue affecting the working masses ignored by corbyn and labour
Old 31-03-2017, 03:01 PM #5
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
why is he still on about class? most peoples problems are economic and labour destroyed the economy....as for social mobility, councils under labour are on average much poorer than the tory ones....labour councils are notorious for ruining their local economies which in turn makes social mobility harder and reduces the funding available for public services...yet another issue affecting the working masses ignored by corbyn and labour
Oh it's not just him...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7659346.html
Old 31-03-2017, 03:10 PM #6

Favourites:

Favourites:

Grammar schools give less well off children with decent intelligence a better chance.
Kids with better off earning parents can move around and use the postcode to gain entrance to better performing state schools.
Stopping grammar schools will fail the children from lower earning families who want a chance.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 03:12 PM #7
User banned

User banned

Quote:
35%? the rich v poor is still the biggest and oldest battle of them all....the gender war is a total lie and smokescreen....the trouble is we dont have a party to represent the poorer people. all labour want is us to be enslaved to them...no one creates opportunities and better business environments in poor areas
Old 31-03-2017, 05:01 PM #8

I agree with a lot of what you say TT. I've been shying away from publically discussing the Labour party of late because its become such a toxic brand thanks to the internal squabbling from the Blairites.

Lets remember that Corbyn is constantly having to struggle with treachery and skulduggery within his own party. Over half the Labour party are neoliberals obsessed with trying to get Corbyn out, but lets remember, the main reason people still support the Labour party is, they want a progressive government, they want to stop the NHS being privatised, they want national rail back. We presently have a government who refuses to borrow for the countries benefit and for the sake of balancing the books, will sell off anything that isn’t nailed down. Labour believe (or at least they did) we need social benefits within a social democracy and that means no matter how poor a family is, they will still get essential supplies. We all know (or perhaps we don’t) that apart from a few exceptions, social democracy is in trouble across Europe and there’s a whole bunch of us out there who want to stop this neoliberal express train.

I like Corbyn, I like a lot of his politics but I no longer believe he cuts it as a future MP. I love the way he has little time for the privileged few but get frustrated at the way he doesn’t seem able to defend Labours track record or voice his concerns like the true activist he is. At PMQ he comes over as somewhat subservient, which gives a lot of us the impression he has no ability to govern.

The thing that pulled me away from Corbyn and McDonald was this sudden commitment to have a balanced budget. We need someone who is brave enough to use the power of the state to create wealth and balancing the books greatly constrains that power.
I want to support Labour because I want a better Britian, but Labour have to become united. Until we get a clone of Corbyn who can actually get the message across and stop putting it out there that Labour will be spending with great caution, I fear the party is doomed.
Old 31-03-2017, 05:07 PM #9

As for grammar schools, I think there are pros and cons. Our eldest was top of his year when he was in a comprehensive. I remember a teacher at our sons state school saying “academically gifted children will do well whatever school they go to” so why, when he moved into private education was he near the bottom of his year and took a good year to catch up? One of the things he’s said is, no matter how hard you work in a comprehensive, there will always be disruptive and demotivated kids in the same class.

I don’t know about grammar schools but the reason private schools have such a good outcome is, they work those students towards their parent’s expectations. Is that a good thing? I suppose it is if they walk away with straight A’s.

My one worry about state grammar schools is, would they be filled with middle class kids whose parents can afford out of school extra tuition?
Old 31-03-2017, 05:07 PM #10
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

They just scrapped SATS for 7yr olds, how will that ensure kids are capable to pass an 11+ or equivalent?
Old 31-03-2017, 06:05 PM #11
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

I still like most of what he says, however he has not been able,not because of just his own inability,to reach the people he really needs to.

I doubt he will lead Labour in the 2020 election,if that's when it comes, also in an election now, while I think he'd do better than polls suggest, that election would give an increased majority to the Conservatives.

I think to be fair, he is angry on many issues, not just grammar schools,a policy of this govt. which I think this govt. is wrong on.

It is only England that inflicts extreme Conservative govts.on the whole of the UK, particularly the far South of England.
That is a very sad state of affairs as to politics and elections for the UK in my opinion.

Politics however is a road littered everywhere with banana skins and things can,as to public opinion, alter and change quickly.
Anyone against this rotten govt. as I am very strongly,have to hope for a good number of those banana skins to come into play hopefully in time too.

Last edited by joeysteele; 31-03-2017 at 06:46 PM.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:35 PM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Why should it? Grammar schools are about ability not money. They give bright pupils from less well off backgrounds a chance to excel.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 06:56 PM #13

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Why should it? Grammar schools are about ability not money. They give bright pupils from less well off backgrounds a chance to excel.
In theory yes.However house prices tend to go up in grammar school catchment areas so it can end up with all middle class kids going.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
angry, corbyn, grammar, schools