Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:56 AM #1
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Default Richard Dawkins take on brexit

I have to say I agree with his take here, brexit does make us appear insular and rather hypocritical as we oppose those who would rather go it alone too.

'Prominent atheist and scientist Richard Dawkins has said England is becoming a “nasty little backwater,” as the government prepares begin the process of leaving the European Union.

The day before the UK government planned to trigger Article 50 and formally begin Brexit, the Scottish Parliament voted in favour of a second independence referendum.

Mr Dawkins has spoken out against Brexit since last summer’s referendum and once branded voters, including himself, “ignoramuses”.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7655136.html
Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM #2
User banned

User banned

up yours dawkins
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 PM #3
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I have to say I agree with his take here, brexit does make us appear insular and rather hypocritical as we oppose those who would rather go it alone too.

'Prominent atheist and scientist Richard Dawkins has said England is becoming a “nasty little backwater,” as the government prepares begin the process of leaving the European Union.

The day before the UK government planned to trigger Article 50 and formally begin Brexit, the Scottish Parliament voted in favour of a second independence referendum.

Mr Dawkins has spoken out against Brexit since last summer’s referendum and once branded voters, including himself, “ignoramuses”.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7655136.html
That he is! A real ignoramus.

As for opposing those that would rather go it alone too - isn't that exactly what Scotland has done. Maybe Ireland too.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:53 AM #4

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Dawkins is an interesting man and I agree with much of what he says about religion. Like most humans he doesn't always get it right and in this case he is glaringly wrong. Those who wish to remain in the EU simply don't get the position of those who want to leave and fail to understand the issues.

The EU's petty behaviour towards Gibraltar is just another reason to be glad to see the back of them.

The Union and EU are very different entities and keep being made a comparison as if leaving one is the same as leaving the other. It is a completely different thing. The EU has never been one nation. However no one has ever opposed those who wished to leave the union. You will remember that in 2014 Scotland had a referendum on that very issue and chose to remain within the union. The nationalists didn't like the answer so they want to do it all over again and they will get their way once Brexit is sorted. Those who wanted to leave the EU had to wait 40 years.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 02-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:57 AM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

This is one time i disagree with him.Still it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:23 AM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Who cares what he thinks? Just another opinion... his is no more valuable than anyone else's.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:44 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I know, I just thought it interesting that someone so clever would be one of the first to admit they were duped.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:47 PM #8

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I know, I just thought it interesting that someone so clever would be one of the first to admit they were duped.
Why is it so hard to understand that most of knew exactly what we were voting for and weren't duped in any way.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 02-04-2017, 03:54 PM #9
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that most of knew exactly what we were voting for and weren't duped in any way.
Have you spoke to everyone?... I've read there are many feeling more than a little remorseful
Old 02-04-2017, 03:55 PM #10

Quote:
In your previous post you said that most remain voters " fail to understand the issues". So its fine for you to say that those on the other side of the argument didn't understand what they were voting for, but you don't seem to like it when the shoe is on the other foot
AProducer'sWetDream is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:57 PM #11
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AProducer'sWetDream View Post
In your previous post you said that most remain voters " fail to understand the issues". So its fine for you to say that those on the other side of the argument didn't understand what they were voting for, but you don't seem to like it when the shoe is on the other foot
Good point.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:59 PM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Have you spoke to everyone?... I've read there are many feeling more than a little remorseful
That depends on what paper you read it seems - get your info from the Independent or the Canary you will hear what you want to hear.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:03 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
It's actually the same issue and the same comment.

I have never said remain voters failed to understand why they voted remain. I said they fail to understand why others didn't. I don't think some want to.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 02-04-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:05 PM #14

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I haven't spoken to everyone, neither have you.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 02-04-2017, 04:16 PM #15
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Believe me that works both ways. Remoaners exist for a reason. Many have suggested 17.4 million were duped and would not have voted for Brexit if they had 'understood' the outcome - the implications of such comments obvious.

That's just pie in the sky right now because it is still all supposition and no one knows for sure what the final outcome will be - for God's sake negotiations haven't even started.

Rather than remainers being the politically and economically clued-up experts they would have people believe, it's much more likely that many were simply fearful of change.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:14 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Believe me that works both ways. Remoaners exist for a reason. Many have suggested 17.4 million were duped and would not have voted for Brexit if they had 'understood' the outcome - the implications of such comments obvious.

That's just pie in the sky right now because it is still all supposition and no one knows for sure what the final outcome will be - for God's sake negotiations haven't even started.

Rather than remainers being the politically and economically clued-up experts they would have people believe, it's much more likely that many were simply fearful of change.
The hypocrisy in your position is unbelievable. So it's fine to make sweeping generalisations about people who voted remain but to suggest that some leavers didn't know what they were voting for is not?

For the record, I voted remain to protect my right to work, study and travel in other European countries, which I plan/hope to do in the future.
AProducer'sWetDream is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 PM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I haven't spoken to everyone, neither have you.
I haven't professed to.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:31 PM #18
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
That depends on what paper you read it seems - get your info from the Independent or the Canary you will hear what you want to hear.

Look at this odd interpretation of a yougov poll, it shows that 44% of those who support Britain leaving the EU (brexiters) agree that Britain should leave the EU . Next to that is the 25% figure of those who did not support Britain leaving (remainers) but who have accepted that it is happening.

For this to be shown as 69% in favour is very misleading.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/yougov...trigger-2017-3
Spoiler:

Last edited by Kizzy; 02-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 PM #19
User banned

User banned

Red face

Quote:
Look at this odd interpretation of a yougov poll, it shows that 44% of those who support Britain leaving the EU (brexiters) agree that Britain should leave the EU . Next to that is the 25% figure of those who did not support Britain leaving (remainers) but who have accepted that it is happening.

For this to be shown as 69% in favour is very misleading.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/yougov...trigger-2017-3
Spoiler:

Not really as they are accepting the result of the referendum and a public vote even though it was not what they wanted. I admire that. That is how we make democratic votes - the majority gets it - the percentage is irrelevant.

As for those that believe a public vote should be ignored because it wasn't what they wanted, I'm pretty speechless really.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:06 PM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Not really as they are accepting the result of the referendum and a public vote even though it was not what they wanted. I admire that. That is how we make democratic votes - the majority gets it - the percentage is irrelevant.

As for those that believe a public vote should be ignored because it wasn't what they wanted, I'm pretty speechless really.
Yes a quarter who voted remain are resigned to it, that is not my issue...The telling portion of these stats are the 44% who did want out but who now appear to be of a different opinion.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:19 PM #21
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Yes a quarter who voted remain are resigned to it, that is not my issue...The telling portion of these stats are the 44% who did want out but who now appear to be of a different opinion.
I don't believe that as I have read different things in different places which is why I said it depends on what you read.

But even if that were the case, the vote was made. Politics is always misleading, it's the nature of the beast. Both sides made misleading statements so for one side to attempt to use such allegations as ammunition for a second vote is devious and desperate in my opinion.

It's an uncertain time for all of us but the best way of making a success of it is if we all work together.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:24 PM #22
Banned

Banned

It's ignorant to think that most voters knew what they were voting for but I do think a higher percentage of Remainers knew what they were voting for given that the two cornerstones of the Leave campaign were the 'Ł350 million for the NHS' lie and immigration which won't likely be affected by Brexit in any meaningful way.

The fact that 'Leaver's Remorse' is a thing only reaffirms it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I don't believe that as I have read different things in different places which is why I said it depends on what you read.

But even if that were the case, the vote was made. Politics is always misleading, it's the nature of the beast. Both sides made misleading statements so for one side to attempt to use such allegations as ammunition for a second vote is devious and desperate in my opinion.

It's an uncertain time for all of us but the best way of making a success of it is if we all work together.
But these are yougov stats...they would be the same if they were reported in the Telegraph, the guardian or the (spits) sun.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:54 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You just gave me an idea for a great April fools Bregret thread.Too late now
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 PM #25

Dawkins is an idiot. I have no problem believing he is an ignoramus to boot.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, dawkins, richard