Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #51
Dezzy
User banned
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 44,870

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
No, because you're not a Tory supporter, you're a Labour supporter... making the massive assumption that no one working class or living in a council house ever voted Tory.
I pity anyone that does because voting Tory when you are of the working class is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.
__________________
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #52
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 35,884

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
He could offer me an ell expenses-paid month in the Maldives and I still wouldn't vote for him.
A serious point I'd like to ask you.

It is clear you are never likely to be a supporter of Labour, you do however in the past have expressed admiration for conviction politicians,even as to Tony Benn.

My reading for myself and where I stand now,I actually like many of Corbyn's policies and would like many retained by the leader that follows him.
I also accept that Corbyn is not registering yet with voters he badly needs.

Looking at the Labour party,and you have as strong,if not stronger than me,interest in govt. and politics.
I have come at last to the question,(you know what I'm like),a voter of your standing,while never likely voting Labour yourself.
Who in the current Labour set up could probably bring you to a more neutral feeling as to electoral success for Labour.

I can name several Conservative MPs,I could find myself happy with them winning and being PM.
For me in Labour someone of the style and stature of Dan Jarvis,I'd like to see in the future as a possible leader.

Anyway,I thought I'd ask as Labour needs to start talking to and listening to voters,they may even prefer not to in my view,to find the right and winning way forward again.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 12:38 PM   #53
Kizzy
Likes cars that go boom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,221


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
No, because you're not a Tory supporter, you're a Labour supporter... making the massive assumption that no one working class or living in a council house ever voted Tory.
Seeing as mine is a conservative borough then you would be wrong on that sorry. Your assumption that I'm not aware of this is way off.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #54
Glenn.
Senior Member
 
Glenn.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 18,594


Default

I'd rather do away with our current bank holidays than have Labour in charge
__________________
.

"I named them for my brothers, Viserys and Rhaegar"


.
Glenn. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #55
Tozzie
Lion Queen
 
Tozzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 2,443

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
X Factor 2012: Jahmene Douglas
CBB 10: Julian Clary
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
considering people who vote labour dont work, i do not see the point in this policy.
Oh please....get real
__________________






Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #56
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
A serious point I'd like to ask you.

It is clear you are never likely to be a supporter of Labour, you do however in the past have expressed admiration for conviction politicians,even as to Tony Benn.

My reading for myself and where I stand now,I actually like many of Corbyn's policies and would like many retained by the leader that follows him.
I also accept that Corbyn is not registering yet with voters he badly needs.

Looking at the Labour party,and you have as strong,if not stronger than me,interest in govt. and politics.
I have come at last to the question,(you know what I'm like),a voter of your standing,while never likely voting Labour yourself.
Who in the current Labour set up could probably bring you to a more neutral feeling as to electoral success for Labour.

I can name several Conservative MPs,I could find myself happy with them winning and being PM.
For me in Labour someone of the style and stature of Dan Jarvis,I'd like to see in the future as a possible leader.

Anyway,I thought I'd ask as Labour needs to start talking to and listening to voters,they may even prefer not to in my view,to find the right and winning way forward again.
nia griffiths will be the next leader
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #57
jaxie
Senior Member
 
jaxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 7,038

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
A serious point I'd like to ask you.

It is clear you are never likely to be a supporter of Labour, you do however in the past have expressed admiration for conviction politicians,even as to Tony Benn.

My reading for myself and where I stand now,I actually like many of Corbyn's policies and would like many retained by the leader that follows him.
I also accept that Corbyn is not registering yet with voters he badly needs.

Looking at the Labour party,and you have as strong,if not stronger than me,interest in govt. and politics.
I have come at last to the question,(you know what I'm like),a voter of your standing,while never likely voting Labour yourself.
Who in the current Labour set up could probably bring you to a more neutral feeling as to electoral success for Labour.

I can name several Conservative MPs,I could find myself happy with them winning and being PM.
For me in Labour someone of the style and stature of Dan Jarvis,I'd like to see in the future as a possible leader.

Anyway,I thought I'd ask as Labour needs to start talking to and listening to voters,they may even prefer not to in my view,to find the right and winning way forward again.
Hilary Benn would make a good leader, even though he and I don't really agree on Brexit.
__________________
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
Terry Pratchett

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 10:50 PM   #58
Kizzy
Likes cars that go boom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,221


Default

Hilary Ben is the next blair, he sabotaged Milliband at the debates in Leeds during the GE.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:53 AM   #59
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,556


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I pity anyone that does because voting Tory when you are of the working class is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot.
Werll, that's your opinion, Dezzy. It doesn't reduce the fact that working class peoplke, thinking people, intelligent people... disagree.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #60
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,556


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Seeing as mine is a conservative borough then you would be wrong on that sorry. Your assumption that I'm not aware of this is way off.
I said your local candidate would not be relying on your vote. Y ou tried to twist it and say your Council House vote is not worthy... You've got quite a lot of mileage out of that comment now. How I miss grown up debate.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #61
Livia
שטח זה להשכרה
 
Livia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brasov, Transylvania
Posts: 29,556


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
A serious point I'd like to ask you.

It is clear you are never likely to be a supporter of Labour, you do however in the past have expressed admiration for conviction politicians,even as to Tony Benn.

My reading for myself and where I stand now,I actually like many of Corbyn's policies and would like many retained by the leader that follows him.
I also accept that Corbyn is not registering yet with voters he badly needs.

Looking at the Labour party,and you have as strong,if not stronger than me,interest in govt. and politics.
I have come at last to the question,(you know what I'm like),a voter of your standing,while never likely voting Labour yourself.
Who in the current Labour set up could probably bring you to a more neutral feeling as to electoral success for Labour.

I can name several Conservative MPs,I could find myself happy with them winning and being PM.
For me in Labour someone of the style and stature of Dan Jarvis,I'd like to see in the future as a possible leader.

Anyway,I thought I'd ask as Labour needs to start talking to and listening to voters,they may even prefer not to in my view,to find the right and winning way forward again.
That's a fair question joey. I am an admirer of Hilary Ben, just like I was an admirer of his father. I feel that both of them have an integrity that I just don't see in Corbyn. Also, I have voted Labour in the past, when I lived in London I voted a couple of times for Stephen Timms, a very hard-working MP. I remember frequently coming back to East Ham on a late train to see Stephen Timms working away quietly in the corner. I also voted for my local Christian vicar as a Parish councillor because he was committed and fair.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #62
Dezzy
User banned
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 44,870

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Werll, that's your opinion, Dezzy. It doesn't reduce the fact that working class peoplke, thinking people, intelligent people... disagree.
They obviously aren't thinking if they are working class and voting Tory given how the Tories are adamant on privatising everything and cutting public services funding.

It's the working class that loses out in a Tory government and we've seen it happen time and time again in the past few years alone.
__________________

Last edited by Dezzy; 25-04-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Dezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #63
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 35,884

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
That's a fair question joey. I am an admirer of Hilary Ben, just like I was an admirer of his father. I feel that both of them have an integrity that I just don't see in Corbyn. Also, I have voted Labour in the past, when I lived in London I voted a couple of times for Stephen Timms, a very hard-working MP. I remember frequently coming back to East Ham on a late train to see Stephen Timms working away quietly in the corner. I also voted for my local Christian vicar as a Parish councillor because he was committed and fair.
Thank you for that.
I respect stephen Timms too.

It's interesting to know who in politics can pull in respect.
Many politicians,probably the majority all mean well and want to change things for the better if they get a chance to.

Hilary Benn does seem to cut through with people of all political persuasions, 2 including yourself,have mentioned him.
I find a lot more off here warm to him too.

Interesting.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #64
Withano
Withano
 
Withano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19,661

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB20: Helen Lederer


Default

Im starting to feel like this election, for most people, is choosing between a poorer leader with better policies, or a better leader with worser policies. I just dont understand why theyre choosing 5 years of worser policies for the sake of one mans personality.
__________________

Last edited by Withano; 25-04-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #65
parmnion
User banned
 
parmnion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ESSEX via scotland
Posts: 33,066

Favourites:
BB18: Deborah
CBB18: Heavy D
BB17: Hughie
BB4: Cameron


Default

1 fact i can add is i am far better off financiaĺly under the torys than i ever was under labour.
__________________
££££££££££££££££££

Lions, Lions,Lions.
parmnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #66
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
They obviously aren't thinking if they are working class and voting Tory given how the Tories are adamant on privatising everything and cutting public services funding.

It's the working class that loses out in a Tory government and we've seen it happen time and time again in the past few years alone.
That is student union politics for children and its simply untrue

labour babktupted the economy and treasury so there was no money left for all the free handouts labour voters demand. They live in cloud cuckoo land where money is wasted, gold is sold cheap, mps are paid off by corporations who labour let off their taxes, they sold us out to europe, the signed a 400 page EU constitution with 10000s of laws that strangled all small businesses...they allowed the population rise by nearly 10 million in 13 years...they encouraged breeding for benefits, debts went up, employment went down...they spent billions on illegal wars too ....they doubled/trebled the wages of council ceo's and hospital doctors....but allowed all GP doctors to opt out of out of hours work. Thus putting all the workload on hospital doctors instead. Theyre a bunch of hypocritical failures. oh and anyone who questioned their insane masterplan was called a sexist racist etc etc
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #67
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Im starting to feel like this election, for most people, is choosing between a poorer leader with better policies, or a better leader with worser policies. I just dont understand why theyre choosing 5 years of worser policies for the sake of one mans personality.
worser doesnt exist
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #68
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
That's a fair question joey. I am an admirer of Hilary Ben, just like I was an admirer of his father. I feel that both of them have an integrity that I just don't see in Corbyn. Also, I have voted Labour in the past, when I lived in London I voted a couple of times for Stephen Timms, a very hard-working MP. I remember frequently coming back to East Ham on a late train to see Stephen Timms working away quietly in the corner. I also voted for my local Christian vicar as a Parish councillor because he was committed and fair.
Good post , great to see someone with an open and VERY intelligent mind
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 03:45 PM   #69
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
1 fact i can add is i am far better off financiaĺly under the torys than i ever was under labour.
Nearly everyone is, especially those who actually work ...Though VAT is a massive issue that teresa may must put to bed
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #70
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,073
Blog Entries: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Good post , great to see someone with an open and VERY intelligent mind
Yeah, why don't you try it sometime!
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #71
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,073
Blog Entries: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Nearly everyone is, especially those who actually work ...Though VAT is a massive issue that teresa may must put to bed
You just make siht up as you go along.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #72
the truth
User banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
You just make siht up as you go along.
oh you swore how impressive...did you think that up yourself or did the trade union write that for you
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #73
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,073
Blog Entries: 114
Default

you know, I'm alright jock. Husband runs a cash rich business. I don't need to work but I choose to because I consider my work a hobby. We have a very nice home in a prime part of inner London for a mere pittance. We ski in the French and Italian Alps in the winter and travel the globe to different climbing destinations in the summer. To top it all we will both get a whopping inheritance at some point on the future... so why the hell would I support Labour politics? I mean, I'm alright jock!

Short answer... we have kids who are growing into young adults and I don't like watching our present government fcuk them over.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #74
DemolitionRed
Senior Member
 
DemolitionRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 6,073
Blog Entries: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
oh you swore how impressive...did you think that up yourself or did the trade union write that for you
I swear a lot when I'm angry but I'm not allowed to on here because of the PC brigade.
__________________
No longer on this site.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #75
Kizzy
Likes cars that go boom
 
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,221


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I said your local candidate would not be relying on your vote. Y ou tried to twist it and say your Council House vote is not worthy... You've got quite a lot of mileage out of that comment now. How I miss grown up debate.
Er... soon to be ex council home actually

If you want grown up debate then treat others on the forum with a bit of respect your patronising tones are wearing mighty thin.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bank, extra, holidays

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:59 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts