Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-05-2017, 09:48 AM #51
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
I'd never make a sexist comment, luv isnt sexist. That tibb rule purely exists for your benefit because you're a valid breath of fresh air, I can call any other member 'luv' without being infracted if I wish to do so.
It is as 'sexist' as the 'racist' allegations are 'racist'. They are either both valid, or not. Can't have it both ways. Dish it out don't complain if others give it back.

My comment on 'a breath of fresh air' seems to have ruffled a few feathers judging by the sarcastic comments. I found a poster's comments very open and honest - a breath of fresh air. I stand by that. No need to take it so personally.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-05-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 09:51 AM #52
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Fair enough - but if you will use words such as 'bigot' to others again how can you complain? The use of one word is not likely to stop the use of the other -it stands to reason.
However as I have explained countless times bigot is an actual word, with a defined definition... PC is not, it's nothing more than an invented nonsense term for those who are too feeble minded to formulate a reasoned response to any given topic.

Last edited by Kizzy; 14-05-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 09:55 AM #53
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It is as 'sexist' as the 'racist' allegations are 'racist'. They are either both valid, or not. Can't have it both ways. Dish it out don't complain if others give it back.

My comment on 'a breath of fresh air' seems to have ruffled a few feathers judging by the sarcastic comments. I found a poster's comments very open and honest - a breath of fresh air. I stand by that. No need to take it so personally.
I am so certain that I've never said that a tibb member was a racist. Thats a very strong and very serious allegation. Your comparisons are odd. (Your breath of fresh air comment 'ruffled feathers' because it is hilariously hypocritical, I think you see that, right? I'll explain it just in case - lefties who get offended are PC, righties who get offended are breaths of fresh air - its honestly hilarious, albeit unintentionally)
Old 14-05-2017, 10:01 AM #54
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
However as I have explained countless times bigot is an actual word, with a defined definition... PC is not, it's nothing more than an invented nonsense term for those who are too feeble minded to formulate a logical response to any given topic.
Whether you perceive it as a 'real' word or not, the use such words/terminology is based on opinion rather than fact ie saying one has concerns about mass immigration does not make someone 'racist' - that is your interpretation based either on sensitivity or intent to shut down discussion - it is not based on fact.

Anyway we have been down this road a million times, nothing ever changes.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:05 AM #55
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I am so certain that I've never said that a tibb member was a racist. Thats a very strong and very serious allegation. Your comparisons are odd. (Your breath of fresh air comment 'ruffled feathers' because it is hilariously hypocritical, I think you see that, right? I'll explain it just in case - lefties who get offended are PC, righties who get offended are breaths of fresh air - its honestly hilarious, albeit unintentionally)
That poster wasn't playing mind games she was giving an honest and open opinion. Why did that upset you so much I wonder. Either your comprehension skills were lacking at that time or mind games are still the name of the game.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:06 AM #56
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

Luv isn't sexist, it's a colloquialism .. Trust me I'm from Leeds, everyone and his dog is a luv.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:19 AM #57
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Luv isn't sexist, it's a colloquialism .. Trust me I'm from Leeds, everyone and his dog is a luv.
A lot of women do find it offensive, just as some find any opposition to immigration offensive, just as some find any criticism of Islam offensive, just as some find certain discussions in lectures offensive. If you support one type of offense you can't ignore another.

As I said before all or nothing. Some will keep being selective on this subject according to their own personal opinions. It is hypocritical. Who are you, or anyone else, to pass judgement on who and who doesn't have the right to be offended.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:24 AM #58
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Whether you perceive it as a 'real' word or not, the use such words/terminology is based on opinion rather than fact ie saying one has concerns about mass immigration does not make someone 'racist' - that is your interpretation based either on sensitivity or intent to shut down discussion - it is not based on fact.

Anyway we have been down this road a million times, nothing ever changes.
Oh no, no, no, you don't get to choose whether the dictionary definition applies to you or not... If you make a statement and it's textbook bigotry then be prepared to be called out on it.

There are a million and one ways you can express yourself on any topic, voicing concerns is not bigoted. However if bigoted/racist terms are used it's not my interpretation that the statement is bigoted/racist if it falls within the perimeters of the definition.

Yes we have been down this road often, it's time that it was accepted that it's important to take ownership of what you say.

If one is a bigot one must stand behind that and accept it like a true Brit mustn't one?
Old 14-05-2017, 10:24 AM #59
-

-

Quote:
A lot of women do find it offensive, just as some find any opposition to immigration offensive, just as some find any criticism of Islam offensive, just as some find certain discussions in lectures offensive. If you support one type of offense you can't ignore another.

As I said before all or nothing. Some will keep being selective on this subject according to their own personal opinions. It is hypocritical. Who are you, or anyone else, to pass judgement on who and who doesn't have the right to be offended.
But you DO object to these terms . I'm totally confused. If it's "all or nothing" - are you opposed to Political Correctness or not? Is it ok for the forum to call you "luv" or not? If it isn't, if you find it offensive, then by your OWN admission, you cannot tell people what the can or can't find offensive... and therefore, you are in support of "PC"... luv.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 10:26 AM #60
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

What... You mean like being accused of being PC for being offended?

You have backed yourself into a corner here.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:31 AM #61
User banned

User banned

Quote:
What... You mean like being accused of being PC for being offended?

You have backed yourself into a corner here.
What you don't seem to get is that my comments are a reaction to posters who have on many occasions passed judgements on others but don't like it when others do the same to them. It is called making a point.

No corners here, as I could say exactly the same to you.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:39 AM #62
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
But you DO object to these terms . I'm totally confused. If it's "all or nothing" - are you opposed to Political Correctness or not? Is it ok for the forum to call you "luv" or not? If it isn't, if you find it offensive, then by your OWN admission, you cannot tell people what the can or can't find offensive... and therefore, you are in support of "PC"... luv.
I object when it comes from those dishing out judgements in other threads. Give it take it. Speaks for itself.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:42 AM #63
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
What you don't seem to get is that my comments are a reaction to posters who have on many occasions passed judgements on others but don't like it when others do the same to them. It is called making a point.

No corners here, as I could say exactly the same to you.
Again... you can be judged racist if you say racist things, it's very simple.

It's not those who expose that who are at fault.

How then can anyone be judged 'PC' when it is such a broad sword and appears to mean anything to anyone?

It makes no point as it makes zero sense, it is simply an insult, a way to detract from the issue at hand.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:57 AM #64
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Again... you can be judged racist if you say racist things, it's very simple.

It's not those who expose that who are at fault.

How then can anyone be judged 'PC' when it is such a broad sword and appears to mean anything to anyone?

It makes no point as it makes zero sense, it is simply an insult, a way to detract from the issue at hand.
Not everyone's interpretation of the meaning of 'racist' is correct. As already mentioned some are either over sensitive to criticism and see any criticism as 'racist' or some use such terminology to shut down discussion.

Your claim that anyone using that word is correct because it's definition is in the dictionary is ludicrous. Interpretation is key as is intent.
Old 14-05-2017, 11:13 AM #65
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:

That time you fought for an 'all or nothing' approach whilst claiming luv is offensive and continuing to criticise islam and immigration. You really struggle with the concept of hypocrisy lol.

Last edited by Withano; 14-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:16 AM #66
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Not everyone's interpretation of the meaning of 'racist' is correct. As already mentioned some are either over sensitive to criticism and see any criticism as 'racist' or some use such terminology to shut down discussion.

Your claim that anyone using that word is correct because it's definition is in the dictionary is ludicrous. Interpretation is key as is intent.
It has a definition at least, there is a comparison, you can cite a source with which to hold the statement to account.

With PC this is not the case, all we have is someones interpretation with no point of reference, therefore how can ANY accusations be correct?

It seems to me that the sensitivity comes when a mirror is held to certain statements and it's not attractive what is seen.

Last edited by Kizzy; 14-05-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:42 AM #67
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That time you fought for an 'all or nothing' approach whilst claiming luv is offensive and continuing to criticise islam and immigration. You really struggle with the concept of hypocrisy lol.
No, I was 'fighting' for the fact that some do find it offensive, and therefore can be constrewed as offensive just as any critiscm of Islam is considered so by many on here. You defend one whilst dismissing the other which is hypocritical. It isn't me struggling.

I wouldn't pass comment on 'sexist' comments from you if you weren't defending Islamic over-sensitivities whilst at the same time using the term 'luv'.
Old 14-05-2017, 11:47 AM #68
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, I was 'fighting' for the fact that some do find it offensive, and therefore can be constrewed as offensive just as any critiscm of Islam is considered so by many on here. You defend one whilst dismissing the other which is hypocritical. It isn't me struggling.

I wouldn't pass comment on 'sexist' comments from you if you weren't defending Islamic over-sensitivities whilst at the same time using the term 'luv'.
so I can call you luv if it isnt in response to an anti-islam post? Do you have an official 'valid breath of fresh air' rulebook, this is impossible to keep up with.
Old 14-05-2017, 11:51 AM #69
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

So you chose to be offended as you disagree with Withano and his views personally?
Old 14-05-2017, 11:53 AM #70
-

-

Quote:
I object when it comes from those dishing out judgements in other threads. Give it take it. Speaks for itself.
OK so, as I've never claimed to have been "offended" by you, or anyone else here, or in fact anyone at all... Do I have permission to call you whatever I want?
Old 14-05-2017, 11:59 AM #71
User banned

User banned

Quote:
OK so, as I've never claimed to have been "offended" by you, or anyone else here, or in fact anyone at all... Do I have permission to call you whatever I want?
I guess you do - but that would of course work both ways. Might end up getting us both infracted the way things are going - so I'm sure we can both rise above it.

Whose first?
Old 14-05-2017, 12:48 PM #72
-

-

Quote:
I guess you do - but that would of course work both ways. Might end up getting us both infracted the way things are going - so I'm sure we can both rise above it.

Whose first?
Nah I get special treatment remember coz I'm a lefty liberal. I can say whatever and I never get infractions. You'll get infracted to oblivion if you so much as sneeze.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 14-05-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 14-05-2017, 12:52 PM #73
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Nah I get special treatment remember coz I'm a lefty liberal. I can say whatever and I never get infractions. You'll get infracted to oblivion if you so much as sneeze.
You said it.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:46 PM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

But don't you dare attempt any informal terms of endearment TS

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
attenshun, educayshun, modern