Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-05-2017, 11:11 AM #1

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Default Breaking:Harry Styles is against Brexit!

GLUM DIRECTION Pop star Harry Styles reveals he’s a Remoaner and says Brexit heavily influenced his new album

The 23-year-old even told The Sunday Times Style magazine that he will vote for “whoever is against Brexit”.

He said the push to leave the EU is “creating the kind of world he does not want to live in”.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...new-album/amp/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...tion-gd0s0qzn9
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:15 AM #2
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

17 million album sales in one go
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:18 AM #3
cancelled

cancelled

...........'n what sort of world would one wish not to live

..........one where the opinion of pop singers is given more credence than ms blogg

Mark L
ebandit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:27 AM #4
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

I always find it interesting when celebrities have actual opinions on real things. They always seem so one-dimensional (not trying to be punny) and plastic, that you kinda forget that they're real people.

Kudos to him for having the balls

I'd like to hear him expand on how he thinks Brexit effected his sales? I'm no pop-buff, but I'd imagine it has done pretty well worldwide?
Old 14-05-2017, 11:51 AM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
GLUM DIRECTION Pop star Harry Styles reveals he’s a Remoaner and says Brexit heavily influenced his new album

The 23-year-old even told The Sunday Times Style magazine that he will vote for “whoever is against Brexit”.

He said the push to leave the EU is “creating the kind of world he does not want to live in”.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...new-album/amp/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/h...tion-gd0s0qzn9
Oh that's it then - mind changed. Can't have such an important issue as the sale of some manufactured little pop star having his album sales affected by Brexit. Jumped-up little idiot.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:56 AM #6
Sod orf

Sod orf

Doesn't surprise me, middle-class isn't he?
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:56 AM #7
like the boys

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Minh-Ly
Survivor 40: Michele

like the boys

Favourites (more):

"Harry Styles reveals he's a Remoaner"

Let me guess... this isn't a Financial Times article

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:59 AM #8
like the boys

Favourites (more):

like the boys

Favourites (more):

oh and I see we're still working the "only the middle class voted Remain" angle when the Leave campaign was headed up by champions of the proletariat Boris Johnson and Arron Banks

Spoiler:

MB. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:11 PM #9
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB. View Post
oh and I see we're still working the "only the middle class voted Remain" angle when the Leave campaign was headed up by champions of the proletariat Boris Johnson and Arron Banks
Don't get triggered, they're only words, and nothing has happened because of them.
Old 14-05-2017, 12:11 PM #10
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Obviously I agree with him.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:30 PM #11
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Oh that's it then - mind changed. Can't have such an important issue as the sale of some manufactured little pop star having his album sales affected by Brexit. Jumped-up little idiot.
You see, this is what's so frightening about Brexit Britain. Anyone who dares to oppose it is berated. A man can simply express his belief that it might not be oh so wonderful and he gets labelled 'jumped up' and an 'idiot'. A national newspaper can declare on its front page that the general election will 'crush the saboteurs', because any opposition whatsoever is obviously such a disgusting crime. A woman can try to see that the parliamentary sovereignty that several leave voters protested to love so much is formally utilised to enact the process of withdrawal, and she receives death threats. And in a demonstration of bewildering irony that so many Brexiteers are blissfully unaware of, they demand that people 'respect democracy' whilst simultaneously criticising any protest, petition or verbal or written declaration of opposition - because of course democracy begins and ends with an electoral vote.

The political climate that's been created in the last year is ****ing terrifying. Nobody would accept this if the result had gone the other way, and quite rightly.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:45 PM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
You see, this is what's so frightening about Brexit Britain. Anyone who dares to oppose it is berated. A man can simply express his belief that it might not be oh so wonderful and he gets labelled 'jumped up' and an 'idiot'. A national newspaper can declare on its front page that the general election will 'crush the saboteurs', because any opposition whatsoever is obviously such a disgusting crime. A woman can try to see that the parliamentary sovereignty that several leave voters protested to love so much is formally utilised to enact the process of withdrawal, and she receives death threats. And in a demonstration of bewildering irony that so many Brexiteers are blissfully unaware of, they demand that people 'respect democracy' whilst simultaneously criticising any protest, petition or verbal or written declaration of opposition - because of course democracy begins and ends with an electoral vote.

The political climate that's been created in the last year is ****ing terrifying. Nobody would accept this if the result had gone the other way, and quite rightly.
Jack_ you are amazing.

I feel little need to say much at all because you not only list my thoughts but expand on the points of things too.

I agree,the referendum campaign last year was the ugliest,sometimes scary and worrying campaign I had come across.
It has not got better since,as you say, either.

The intolerance is unbelievable at times and all it does for politics and in fact for the UK overall is drag all down.
It really is,in my view,I stress my view,and should be really worrying.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:47 PM #13
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

Anyone from One Direction should not be taken seriously

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:49 PM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:

Sorry Jack but I disagree with a lot of that. Look how PC has encroached on Western society with aggression and put-downs being a common response to any opposition to political correctness. PC is against free speech in one breath but stifles it in another. That double standard hypocrisy constantly winds me up.

Much as I dislike the likes of Gina Miller I would never condone harrassment or threats as that is always unacceptable from both sides. You will always get that element on both sides of the political agenda. To suggest the Remain campaign/voters are the 'good guys' and the Leave 'campaigners/voters the 'bad guys' is blinkered.

Just like you often get a lot of violence etc at many kinds of marches and protests - such behaviour usually comes from opportunist thugs just seizing the chance to cause trouble and intimidate people. The organisers of such events often complain how it wasn't their supporters causing the problems but opportunist thugs. The same probably applies to those making such threats. Assumptions are being made on a mass scale here. In my experience thugs aren't usually politically minded.

Judging by the response of many 'remoaners' with some even disrespecting a public vote, and therefore democracy, by attempting to overturn the vote speaks volumes and demonstrates what lengths they will go to to try and get their own way.

There are no innocents in politics.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-05-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 14-05-2017, 12:51 PM #15
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

I agree with Harry

And brexit is one of the worse things that has happeneded to our country.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:53 PM #16
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle

He didn't lie?

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:53 PM #17
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Yep, The Leaver Camp is starting to look a little 'dictator-y'.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:53 PM #18
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
I agree with Harry

And brexit is one of the worse things that has happeneded to our country.
not even in the top 5

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:18 PM #19
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Sorry Jack but I disagree with a lot that. Look how PC has encroached on Western society with aggression and put-downs being a common response to any opposition to political correctness. PC is against free speech in one breath but stifles it in another. That double standard hypocrisy constantly winds me up.

Much as I dislike the likes of Gina Miller I would never condone harrassment or threats as that is always unacceptable from both sides. You will always get that element on both sides of the political agenda. To suggest the Remain campaign/voters are the 'good guys' and the Leave 'campaigners/voters the 'bad guys' is blinkered.

Judging by the response of many 'remoaners' with some even disrespecting a public vote, and therefore democracy, by attempting to overturn the vote speaks volumes and demonstrates what lengths they will go to to try and get their own way.

There are no innocents in politics.

The bold points are there to highlight the rampant hypocrisy in the post. I thought I'd just stick to those two points since if I highlighted the other points of hypocrisy in that post then most of the post would be highlighted.

PC doesn't encroach on free speech, you are entitled to your opinion but no one is forced to accept them or acknowledge them. That's your issue with it, isn't it? You want people to cheer you for your opinions and you can't handle the fact that your opinions won't be universally adored. You only want freedom of speech for yourself and people who share your opinions which is why in this post you try to pass off opposing opinions to brexit as undemocratic, you are trying to invalidate any opinion that doesn't suit your agenda. You can be opposed to people who voted remain but you are actively trying to make out that people who don't get in line with your views basically don't believe in democracy and are trying to force their own way when you have been guilty in the past (along with other members) of telling remainers to basically assimilate with the Borg-I mean, accept the brexit and drop opposing opinions.

Going back to PC culture, your opinion is not being limited or held back in any way, you can say what you like, the problem here is that you (and pretty much everyone who acts like PC is the devil) don't have the conviction to own your opinions. All opinions come with consequences as I've said a thousand times, no one is exempt from those consequences.

Again, another thing I've said a thousand times, Freedom of Speech is a two way street. Do not act like a defender of it when you aren't really interested in FoS because you only want it for yourself and people who hold the same views as you.

Last edited by Tom4784; 14-05-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:22 PM #20
User banned

User banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The bold points are there to highlight the rampant hypocrisy in the post. I thought I'd just stick to those two points since if I highlighted the other points of hypocrisy in that post then most of the post would be highlighted.

PC doesn't encroach on free speech, you are entitled to your opinion but no one is forced to accept them or acknowledge them. That's your issue with it, isn't it? You want people to cheer you for your opinions and you can't handle the fact that your opinions won't be universally adored. You only want freedom of speech for yourself and people who share your opinions which is why in this post you try to pass off opposing opinions to brexit as undemocratic, you are trying to invalidate any opinion that doesn't suit your agenda. You can be opposed to people who voted remain but you are actively trying to make out that people who don't get in line with your views basically don't believe in democracy and are trying to force their own way when you have been guilty in the past (along with other members) of telling remainers to basically assimilate with the Borg-I mean, accept the brexit and drop opposing opinions.

Going back to PC culture, your opinion is not being limited or held back in any way, you can say what you like, the problem here is that you (and pretty much everyone who acts like PC is the devil) don't have the conviction to own your opinions. All opinions come with consequences as I've said a thousand times, no one is exempt from those consequences.
With regard to the highlighted bits I put 'remoaners' in quotes to um er quote the word - so to try and accuse me of hypocrisy based on that is banal and based on poor comprehension.

Everything you say there can there can easily be turned around.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-05-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:30 PM #21
Sod orf

Sod orf

Quote:

It's really not that frightening, you want to try being called a bigot, racsist, islamaphobe and Nazi just for not liking the unelected EU and wanting to no longer be part of it.

The terrifying thing is, grooming rape gangs being ignored, while people are put in prison for putting a couple of rashers of bacon on a building.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:36 PM #22
Banned

Banned

Quote:
With regard to the highlighted bits I put 'remoaners' in quotes to um er quote the word - so to try and accuse me of hypocrisy based on that is banal and based on poor comprehension.

Everything you say there can there can easily be turned around.
Then turn it around. Simply saying it can be is not an argument.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:36 PM #23
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
It's really not that frightening, you want to try being called a bigot, racsist, islamaphobe and Nazi just for not liking the unelected EU and wanting to no longer be part of it.

The terrifying thing is, grooming rape gangs being ignored, while people are put in prison for putting a couple of rashers of bacon on a building.
Neither is okay though.. being called names because of political beliefs..
i don't understand the PC/freedom of speech defence they gave though, so I'm not sure I can comment - seems irrelevant to me, almost as if they just spouted out any old nonsense to defend their right to insult.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:45 PM #24
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post

This is all very typical 'facebook' logic.

I imagine if you are being called those things then it's for more than simply supporting Brexit and your second sentence is simply silly and inflammatory rather than logical. Hate crimes and sex crimes are not comparable, life is not some sort of Police Procedural drama where the same officers will deal with all kinds of crimes. Different crimes are investigated and solved by different units. Idiotic hate crimes are usually easy to solve since the people who commit them are not very bright, it's often a case of consulting the CCTV to get an identification.

Things like rape gangs and sex rings are more organised and harder to break. They require more time and investigation to compare what is essentially an organised crime to yobs that aren't smart enough to cover their faces when they commit their crimes. They are not the same.

Honestly, this should be common sense.
Old 14-05-2017, 01:46 PM #25
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Then turn it around. Simply saying it can be is not an argument.
Can't be bothered - people can read.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
breakingharry, brexit, styles