Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB18 Big Brother 18 UK was shown on Channel 5 in June and July 2017, and was won by Isabelle with Raph second. Discuss the series here.

Old 15-06-2017, 07:59 PM #276
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
So? the point was that it takes a lot more for white women to be labelled as aggressive than it does a black woman and Helen was a raving monster
So my point is that Hannah is pulling the race card as if only black women are targeted and only considered as aggressive. Where did she get that assumption that it takes more for white women to be labelled as such? She's living in her bubble.

The problem her is that if many people tell her she's aggressive, then she might has to check herself and label herself as aggressive. She should stop with the conspiracy racists theories. She's aggressive, point blank.

Helen might have been the biggest raging housemate we ever had, but at least she was consistant and ran the house. While all Hannah does is complain and pull the race card whenever someone confronts her. Watch her pulling it many other times someone disagrees with her.

Last edited by Captain.Remy; 15-06-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:06 PM #277

I thought what Hannah said was totally reasonable tbh. She wasn't calling anybody a racist, and she made a point of saying she wasn't putting it on Rebecca, she was just explaining how it makes her feel to be labelled as aggressive, and her skin colour (and stereotypes) is a part of why it makes her feel that way (and this thread alone has posts that show she's justified in feeling that way)... so there simply wouldn't have been a way for her to explain her feelings without mentioning race (and isn't explaining your feelings just a normal way of resolving an argument). It would have been different if she was saying 'you're calling me aggressive because I'm black' but that's not what she was getting at at all. There is a stereotype of the angry black person whether people acknowledge skin colour or not, and the answer of 'she shouldn't show aggression then' is no good because she shouldn't have to be held to different standards because of a stereotype that's imposed on her. Sometimes people are aggressive, black or white, but yes black people tend to be more harshly judged for it and it's the unfairness of that which caused Hannah to bring it up.

I don't think it's 'playing a race card' just because someone mentions race, especially when there's context to it and they've got a point to what they're saying. I actually think that some people just hear race being mentioned and jump straight to the race card card (it's a thing ) without thinking about why it's brought up in the first place (again, she wasn't being accusatory so it wasn't about trying to call anyone a racist). If anything it was probably quite brave of her to mention it because she's probably aware enough to know the race card accusations would follow.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:08 PM #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
but she's right she's going to be voted out and disliked because she's aggressive
So maybe she needs to work on not being aggressive?
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:10 PM #279
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
So maybe she needs to work on not being aggressive?
AMEN! Someone with common sense.
Who the hell cares if she's black or not? She was wrong and aggressive.
Again, if everyone is telling you that you have an issue, stop being stubborn and look at yourself and your flaws. There is nothing wrong with it.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:10 PM #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I think this point is better made by not being aggressive whilst actually making it?
This.

The woman could be making a valid point but instead she is part of the problem as it's people like her perpetuating the stereotype.

It would be like Marco from BB5 giving a passionate speech about how he finds it offensive that gay people are portrayed in the media as effeminate and loud.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:13 PM #281
Nah

Nah

Quote:
This.

The woman could be making a valid point but instead she is part of the problem as it's people like her perpetuating the stereotype.

It would be like Marco from BB5 giving a passionate speech about how he finds it offensive that gay people are portrayed in the media as effeminate and loud.
Yep. Watch her complain on her eviction interview that she was misunderstood and playing the victim.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:14 PM #282
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
So my point is that Hannah is pulling the race card as if only black women are targeted and only considered as aggressive. Where did she get that assumption that it takes more for white women to be labelled as such? She's living in her bubble.

The problem her is that if many people tell her she's aggressive, then she might has to check herself and label herself as aggressive. She should stop with the conspiracy racists theories. She's aggressive, point blank.

Helen might have been the biggest raging housemate we ever had, but at least she was consistant and ran the house. While all Hannah does is complain and pull the race card whenever someone confronts her. Watch her pulling it many other times someone disagrees with her.
One argument where she got mouthy doesn't make Hannah aggressive imo, we've all got angry and raised our voices at some point in our lives, does that make all of us aggressive?

Imo Helen had to say alot of vulgar things in arguments to be labelled as aggressive, where as Hannah's only had one argument where she raised her voice and is already getting the label, this is where the race issue will always be debated when there's not as much room for them to breathe when it comes to arguments.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:18 PM #283
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
One argument where she got mouthy doesn't make Hannah aggressive imo, we've all got angry and raised our voices at some point in our lives, does that make all of us aggressive?

Imo Helen had to say alot of vulgar things in arguments to be labelled as aggressive, where as Hannah's only had one argument where she raised her voice and is already getting the label, this is where the race issue will always be debated when there's not as much room for them to breathe when it comes to arguments.
In the context of the argument, she had no reason to behave like this and overreact and pull out the stereotype thing. Is this how she defends herself whenever something doesn't go the way she likes? Some people play on it way too much, to come accross as a victim and make their point valid.

So yes, she was aggressive, no matter how many arguments she has been/not been part of, imo.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:24 PM #284

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
In the context of the argument, she had no reason to behave like this and overreact and pull out the stereotype thing. Is this how she defends herself whenever something doesn't go the way she likes? Some people play on it way too much, to come accross as a victim and make their point valid.

So yes, she was aggressive, no matter how many arguments she has been/not been part of, imo.
Well tbf it seems like Lotan likes winding Hannah up going by what she said in the Diary Room, so we don't know if she just reached breaking point with him (like we all do if someone keeps pissing you off) but Ch5 didn't seem to show the buildup to her blowing up.

And Rebecca definitely played the fragile blonde girl role against Deborah, I really don't like Rebecca's gameplan of playing the weak girl routine against people, Ellie's the same.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 15-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 08:46 PM #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post

It only takes once to be aggressive though.

It takes getting to know someone properly and seeing them over time to label someone an actual "aggressive person". But that doesn't take away that in that one instance, she was aggressive.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:51 PM #286
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I thought what Hannah said was totally reasonable tbh. She wasn't calling anybody a racist, and she made a point of saying she wasn't putting it on Rebecca, she was just explaining how it makes her feel to be labelled as aggressive, and her skin colour (and stereotypes) is a part of why it makes her feel that way (and this thread alone has posts that show she's justified in feeling that way)... so there simply wouldn't have been a way for her to explain her feelings without mentioning race (and isn't explaining your feelings just a normal way of resolving an argument). It would have been different if she was saying 'you're calling me aggressive because I'm black' but that's not what she was getting at at all. There is a stereotype of the angry black person whether people acknowledge skin colour or not, and the answer of 'she shouldn't show aggression then' is no good because she shouldn't have to be held to different standards because of a stereotype that's imposed on her. Sometimes people are aggressive, black or white, but yes black people tend to be more harshly judged for it and it's the unfairness of that which caused Hannah to bring it up.

I don't think it's 'playing a race card' just because someone mentions race, especially when there's context to it and they've got a point to what they're saying. I actually think that some people just hear race being mentioned and jump straight to the race card card (it's a thing ) without thinking about why it's brought up in the first place (again, she wasn't being accusatory so it wasn't about trying to call anyone a racist). If anything it was probably quite brave of her to mention it because she's probably aware enough to know the race card accusations would follow.
This really sums it up best, I think. I think it's remarkable for a black woman to articulate these feelings to a bunch of white people who really have no perspective on life other than their own, but like....... good luck gaining any traction with that logic on this show and with this audience.
Old 15-06-2017, 08:53 PM #287

Yes, the best way to combat stereotypes on black women, make some of your own about white women. Nice job.
Old 15-06-2017, 10:00 PM #288
0_o

0_o

Quote:
This.

Exactly.

I had forgotten about Marco. He of knocking his own mother out and flapping like a seal about ladygarden TVs. I ****ing hated him but loved him at the same time
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 10:48 PM #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Exactly.

I had forgotten about Marco. He of knocking his own mother out and flapping like a seal about ladygarden TVs. I ****ing hated him but loved him at the same time

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
card, hannah, race