Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-08-2017, 08:37 AM #1
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Default Is it okay to not want to become a racial minority within your country?

It seems like countries that are more homogeneous have greater stability. Does anyone here really think that Europe would be experiencing this terrorism problem if they had decided to not let in those millions of refugees? I have never been to Europe but I hope to someday visit my ancestral homeland in Ireland. If I go there I don't want to see a third world ghetto I want to see an Irish town with locals whose roots to the land go back centuries. Jews tend to be some of the biggest advocates for open borders and diversity but when it comes to their Jewish homeland, Israel, they are passionate that it remain a Jewish majority country and only allow people to immigrate there on racial grounds and not religious ones (atheists with Jewish mothers are allowed to immigrate). Random thoughts but here is the question I am posing: Is it okay to not want to become a racial minority in your own country?
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 08:56 AM #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
It seems like countries that are more homogeneous have greater stability. Does anyone here really think that Europe would be experiencing this terrorism problem if they had decided to not let in those millions of refugees? I have never been to Europe but I hope to someday visit my ancestral homeland in Ireland. If I go there I don't want to see a third world ghetto I want to see an Irish town with locals whose roots to the land go back centuries. Jews tend to be some of the biggest advocates for open borders and diversity but when it comes to their Jewish homeland, Israel, they are passionate that it remain a Jewish majority country and only allow people to immigrate there on racial grounds and not religious ones (atheists with Jewish mothers are allowed to immigrate). Random thoughts but here is the question I am posing: Is it okay to not want to become a racial minority in your own country?
Interesting question. I just hope it turns into an interesting debate. I'm going out shopping but will definitely come back and look and probably add to this topic later.
Old 19-08-2017, 09:28 AM #3
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Of course it is. I think many people feel that way which clearly had a lot to do with the referendum result. Unfortunately there are those unwilling to acknowledge this and do all they can to shut down any discussion around it. The biggest shut down of all being of course the predictable cries of racism. Those that do this are playing to people's fears of being seen as non-progressive but that's nonsence and is their own insecurity. If everyone was honest no-one from any race or culture would want to become a minority in their own country. Why is it such a crime for Westerners? Seems all these ostensibly anti-discrimination souls are simply being discriminatory.

Culture is a powerful thing and everyone from every culture has a right to value theirs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that except if you are from the West and white it seems. Mass immigration is undoubtedly affecting population growth across the West and will continue to do so at an alarming rate if this subject is not addressed. The demographics of the West will change as a result of this and of course in time we will become a minority in our own countries if it continues - it isn't rocket science.

This in turn will affect our culture and our way of life especially bearing in mind the difference in religious views across the different cultures. This is likely to have Hugh implications for issues such as equality and the freedoms we have all come to enjoy and respect, especially for women and many more - changing life in the West as we know it. This is the real issue not skin colour - that is just a diversion tactic by many.

Then of course there is the security issue. The current levels of terrorism in the West were not only predicable but are obviously a direct result of mass immigration and will continue. Many more people will die because of this and any one of us could be among the next victims. People really must wake up to this and seek to discuss and address the issue, not attempt to close it down. The evidence is there - mass migration into Europe at its current levels is not only unsustainable but will have both negative short-term and long-term effects on all of us in one way or another.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 09:43 AM #4

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Well white Brits are already a racial minority in London.The 2011 census had them at 44.9%.
That could be in part due to white flight though.
Whether that matters or not is subjective.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:13 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:

This is an interesting question, I have a lot of American cousins and they seem to want when they visit Ireland to meet just Irish people, hotels and restaurants to be staffed by Irish people and in some ways I think they would like people to be sitting around peat fires, playing an accordion and telling stories, its all a bit bizarre given their forefathers were immigrants themselves..

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 10:25 AM #6
-

-

It depends if you truly mean racial, or just cultural. I can appreciate why it would be important to preserve the basic cultural identity of a country over time - not that it can't adapt, as no culture is static, they are always in fluxes and development - but that's different to being overwritten.

However you've said "race" rather than culture, and I'm not sure that race ALONE would be important? To use England / London as an example, I know there are a lot of cultural pocket areas, but also, there are MANY Black / Asian who are quite clearly still culturally English. Even up here in "still relatively white" Scotland, I know several people who are very much "Scottish" by several generations, Irn bru drinking, strong Scottish accent, and yet non-white.

I don't see why the pigmentation of someone's skin, or other physical features, would be all that relevant.

For the US it's obviously even more complicated... I mean... From an outside perspective, to me, African Americans are just as "American" as Euro-Americans,and then there are various different cultures even within that, yet still all "American".

So I think that's proof in itself that there can be many subcultures and still one culture tying it all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Well white Brits are already a racial minority in London.The 2011 census had them at 44.9%.
That could be in part due to white flight though.
Whether that matters or not is subjective.
That depends on whether you mean a majority as in literally more than 50%. White British... There are several groups, it's not just "white British" and "all miscellaneous" . There is no other single group that's anywhere near 45%.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:11 PM #7
Banned

Banned

White bigotry is largely motivated by a fear of being treated like how white people have historically treated people of other races. They confuse equality for suffering what their ancestors have done to others and so do everything they can to prevent it from happening under the guise of wanting equality.

The amount of times I've encountered white people that are like 'there will never be equality while minorities get such and such an advantage!' Essentially they want minorities to give up any advantages they have to even think about the possibility of true equality while not surrendering their own privileged position.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 01:26 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
This is an interesting question, I have a lot of American cousins and they seem to want when they visit Ireland to meet just Irish people, hotels and restaurants to be staffed by Irish people and in some ways I think they would like people to be sitting around peat fires, playing an accordion and telling stories, its all a bit bizarre given their forefathers were immigrants themselves..
This made me smile and its so true. When Americans come to England, many expect us all be drinking tea whilst watching cricket. Expectations are often very different to reality.
Old 19-08-2017, 01:29 PM #9

I love British traditions. The monarchy (yep I’m left and love the monarchy!). Our politeness (something I hope we never lose). Our eccentricity (we were the founders of eccentric habits!) our ironic humour depending on which part of Britain we are from and our endless obsession with the weather. But do I have to be British to love those traditions?

Here’s a question: What are the most important aspects of Being British, French, Israeli and so on? 1. Is it DNA? 2. Faith or ethnicity? 3. Citizenship? 4. Born here?. 5. Parents born here? 6. Pay taxes?. 7. Celebrate traditional or historic occasions?

I recently had my DNA tested. I knew it was going to show up French and African as well as British but I was surprised to see such a high percentage of Irish and Scandinavian. Having done my genealogy, I was aware that a portion of my family descended from the Picts but had never considered beyond that point. I think of myself as British but my DNA tells a very different story.

It would be impossible to create an Aryan race so what marks us out as British… where is the dividing line that gives us Englishness? because its certainly not ancestry and neither is it the color of our skin.
Old 20-08-2017, 05:34 PM #10
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I love British traditions. The monarchy (yep I’m left and love the monarchy!). Our politeness (something I hope we never lose). Our eccentricity (we were the founders of eccentric habits!) our ironic humour depending on which part of Britain we are from and our endless obsession with the weather. But do I have to be British to love those traditions?

Here’s a question: What are the most important aspects of Being British, French, Israeli and so on? 1. Is it DNA? 2. Faith or ethnicity? 3. Citizenship? 4. Born here?. 5. Parents born here? 6. Pay taxes?. 7. Celebrate traditional or historic occasions?

I recently had my DNA tested. I knew it was going to show up French and African as well as British but I was surprised to see such a high percentage of Irish and Scandinavian. Having done my genealogy, I was aware that a portion of my family descended from the Picts but had never considered beyond that point. I think of myself as British but my DNA tells a very different story.

It would be impossible to create an Aryan race so what marks us out as British… where is the dividing line that gives us Englishness? because its certainly not ancestry and neither is it the color of our skin.

I would say a strong respect for British culture and way of life and a desire to protect it from forces that would disrespect and seek to change its values would be a good start.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-08-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 06:00 PM #11
-

-

What is "British culture" though? It's very different across different regions of England, then different again in Scotland...

I mean, as an example, DR talks about loving "British politeness". Having lived in Scotland plus the North of England... ... ... In my experience, we're some of the rudest and most loud-mouthed people in the world .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
country, minority, racial