Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 22-08-2017, 05:17 AM #1
how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

how i'm feeling now

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Default Did university prepare you for the "real world"?

Three months ago, I transitioned to a full-time job in a new city a week after graduating. To say it's been a big change would be an understatement. From your experience, do you feel you were prepared for the "real world" after graduating university?

Certainly the skills I developed in school helped get me the job I now have. However, I also realized how much time I wasted in areas that were completely irrelevant to my current career path. I could have strengthened skills in a more concentrated area rather than dabbling in so many different directions, but the problem is, at that time I had very little idea about what I wanted to do. And the structure of curriculum and it's requirements certainly makes it difficult to explore that.

I loved my experience at a university and at times miss it greatly. It's a different kind of grind working full time. Nobody can truly motivate you but yourself, and that's why I've realized its so important to find a career you are truly passionate about - which I hope I am on the right path towards! But also, I have to remind myself nothing is permanent. You aren't necessarily locked into anything, ultimately it's your free will and choice what you want to do, but just be prepared for the many consequences that come with your choices.

While at times I am jealous of friends who haven't had the pressure or the necessity to start a full time job right after graduation, and get to still travel and experience total freedom, I'm extremely grateful to have found work so quickly in an industry that's hard to even get a foot in the door.

How about you guys?
Old 22-08-2017, 01:30 PM #2
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I worked two, sometimes three jobs while studying. I do believe that prepared me for the real world because I had to manage my time to enable me to study hard to get a good degree and also earn money to support myself. I did know exactly what I wanted to do so I have a pretty clear path laid out in front of me which I followed diligently, and it paid off.

Congratulations on graduating and getting a job... I hope everything works out for you, iRyan.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 01:38 PM #3
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

It's interesting, I've just completed a 10-week internship in an area I would definitely not mind getting into once I graduate next year, and I discussed with my colleagues how university relies on work experience to fully understand day to day work duties and expectations; whereas employers rely on university to help us become well-knowledged in the specific area. It's far more complex than that, though, when you consider how various companies/employers will have different principles and ethics when it comes to 'getting the job done', persay.

In general, I feel like I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't gone to university. I've been able to take advantage of opportunities I definitely would not have reached out for had I not gone to university, and I've grown so much as a person, too. Part of me does wish I could've just tried to path my way into a career without having to worry about the added debt, but then I think—I'm a firm believer in the fact that I only have one life to lift, and the experience has added a richness to my life and future prospects.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 01:43 PM #4
Too glam to give a damn

Too glam to give a damn

Whether it has helped me prepare for "the real world", I'll just have to wait and see.
Braden is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 01:50 PM #5
You know my methods

You know my methods

Drinking and getting by on about 10 hours of work a week?

no, it was a bit of a waste of time tbh
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 02:04 PM #6
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Drinking and getting by on about 10 hours of work a week?

no, it was a bit of a waste of time tbh
Isn't that the way you live now though? So it probably stood you in good stead, LT.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 02:37 PM #7
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Isn't that the way you live now though? So it probably stood you in good stead, LT.
i wish. I used to take £5 out of the uni cashline and that would do me for a nights drinking. It was about 60p a pint and beans and chips would set you back 20p
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 03:01 PM #8
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i wish. I used to take £5 out of the uni cashline and that would do me for a nights drinking. It was about 60p a pint and beans and chips would set you back 20p
back in the middle ages

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
prepare, real world, university