Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-09-2017, 05:20 PM #251
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Brillo can you blame them for merging your threads, honestly.

I don't like Corbyn but some of your threads were just grasping. Who cares that he used an umberella one time, or that he was acting like a career politician over Brexit? Going for such low hanging fruit won't yield any productive discussions, from any side.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 05:20 PM #252
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Double post sorry

Last edited by Oliver_W; 24-09-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 06:56 PM #253
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
You have to be really careful here because what you're saying could be seen as very offensive to parents whose kids have just grown up, got a job but not managed to progress into an area of making a lot of money.

I'm sure you are proud of your son and so you should be. I'm very proud of our eldest son and I hope the same success to our other children, one of whom started uni last week and is now suffering the effects of thresher week!

But working hard is working hard. We live in a world where we need menial workers, we need skilled workers and we need high-flying academics. None of those people hold less value than the other. We are all the cogs that make the big wheel turn. All workers deserve to be able to afford the simple necessities of life. Some people are happy not to progress beyond what they love doing because they don't want or need the extra pressure; some workers are good with their hands, others with their brains. Lack of progression doesn't mean they don't work hard. Progression isn't a must and for many people its an impossibility.

The son who has just started uni is taking a maths degree. Right now he's not sure what he's going to do with that degree. All he knows is, maths is something he enjoys. Perhaps he will be a future economist or a professor or maybe he will just be a school teacher earning very little money for his efforts. His chosen profession doesn't matter so long as he's happy but my question is... can he be happy working hard for a poor salary... will it even be possible for him to continue living in London? and should I, as his mother, be less proud of him if he's not financially successful?

Would it of mattered to you if your son hadn't been successful? If he'd had learning difficulties at school but still managed to get a menial job? Would you be worried about his future in a metropolis of unaffordability?

Lets not just think about our own because that traps our mindset. Think outside the box and try looking at the bigger picture.
All mothers, and fathers, should be proud of their sons and daughters whatever they do and at what level they achieve. I would never say otherwise. We love our kids and want them to be happy.

I have two other sons, one who sometimes wished he had done more, who is not as financially secure as his brothers. My third was a little sod at school but changed at college and has come good and also doing very well in his chosen profession. I am proud of all of them.

I was not trying to undermine anyone's son, being happy is the most important thing, but like most things in life you have to apply yourself if you want financial success. Yes success can mean different things to different people but we all know what professions bring the most financial gain and we have to adjust our expectations to the choices we make. Some professions require years of study or training and are therefore deserving of higher financial rewards. Your son will probably be one of them and you too must be very proud.

I just think that if some have put more time into gaining knowledge and acquiring skills they are entitled to bigger financial rewards. It's just the way that it is sometimes suggested that those who have achieved financially are somehow responsible for those that haven't and should contribute so much more that can be frustrating. As adults we make our own decisions and live with them or change our direction.

Last edited by Brillopad; 24-09-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
abject, action, answer, boom, brexit, britain, claim, corbyn, cunning, demands, effect, election, ended, eu, face, failure, hypocrisy, left, load, pay, plan, sees, staring, students, tax, thinks, tosh, tourism, turmoil, urgent, uturn, vote, watchdog, won