Notices

CBB20 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2017 [CBB 20] was was won by Sarah Harding. Discuss the series and housemates here.

Old 30-08-2017, 06:11 PM #51
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babayaro. View Post
I think what he's meaning is that it would be on Netflix UK only.
Ah right, well i'm not sure how well that would do compared to Channel 5 which is a more easily accessible channel.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:14 PM #52
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Is it safe to say that a return to Channel 4 can be ruled out, now that GBBO is its flagship show?
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:25 PM #53

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Asttina Mandela

Quote:
Idk if that's true, as I'm currently watching a Japanese reality show on netflix UK. I would love this to happen but idk if it would. It would be just UK based/aimed to start with and if it happens to be succesful overseas than they'll probably end up holding applications and contestants from overseas and perhaps changing the format.

Love Island is apparently quite popular abroad so I can see them maybe going down that road, especially as it's filmed in a different country anyway. Although there's something kinda british about that, yet BB/CBB isn't really, at least anymore.
Maxxie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:41 PM #54
-

Favourites (more):
BB19: Tomasz
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
But to appeal to overseas viewers, they wouldn't want to brand it as UK only.
They wouldn't brand it as UK only it would just labelled as the UK version so viewers would know it wasnt the local one?
Netflix already does this with shows like Chefs Table, there's no problem
T* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:43 PM #55
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
...No, I wasn't
I'm watching Terrace House which is a Japanese reality TV show and Netflix already labels shows with localisation tags...
Old 30-08-2017, 06:46 PM #56
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Is it safe to say that a return to Channel 4 can be ruled out, now that GBBO is its flagship show?
Depends who takes over as Channel controller as there is someone who was super keen on BB apparently in the running
Old 30-08-2017, 06:46 PM #57
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Netflix would be amazing.
Old 30-08-2017, 06:50 PM #58
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker View Post
But like.. you're the only person who actually wants the US format. Even other BBUS viewers on here don't want it which should tell you that's it's really not what fans of the show actually want at all and considering how you keep saying the thing the producers need to do is listen to the fans well...
Well I'm not the only one, but I realise I'm in a minority. But when have I ever said they should listen to the fans? Maybe like...four years ago, when this forum actually had good opinions? I drag the producers on a daily basis but that doesn't mean I want them taking tips from TiBB, good God I would like them to employ a competent production team who actually know how to make television, let alone Big Brother

Of course I know I'm in a minority, this is a BBUK forum so it kinda goes without saying. Of course I know they will never change the format because Channel 5 are not daring or clever enough to trial it. But that doesn't mean I have to or am going to stop suggesting that they should, because it's something I'd like to see.

Let me make this absolutely crystal clear before the inevitable rebuttals fly in from around the place:

1) I know I can 'just watch BBCan and BBUS'. I do. I want BBUK to switch formats because I prefer it, and three versions is better than two.

2) The ratings are already falling. The show is on its last legs. Would the US format improve things in that regard? Probably not. Will it with any other changes? Probably not. So why not give it a trial run?

Quote:
I watched the first two weeks of this year's BBCAN, actually. It wasn't my cup of tea at all.
Two weeks is six episodes which isn't really a lot of time to get used to a format, but okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg! View Post
One of the many reasons the US format wouldn't work here is that the housemates would just vote out people that get on their tits (aka the entertaining people) rather than thinking about it strategically, unless they cast 16 "gameplayers" like Dexter and Aaron Allard-Morgan which I don't really want to watch.
Actually, people playing emotionally rather than strategically is a much more entertaining use of the US format so I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Many of the best seasons and houseguests are those dominated by emotional gameplay. The very idea of someone like Jayne Connery or Natalie Rowe hosting a nominations ceremony makes me piss. As I said in another thread, my preference would be for them to make half the cast people like that, and the other half people who are there for the money at all costs and will play strategically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Americans are fake and 2 faced so that version suits them Brits are known to say it as it is and be real
Well it's always nice to have a bit of xenophobia thrown into the mix I guess

And again, 'saying it as it is' would be a fantastic use of the US format

Quote:
Yes there are some absolute trash public vote results but my point is if the housemates voted people out it would be even worse.

I actually have watched series with the BBUS format so don't assume things please. I watched BBCAN4 which I actually enjoyed but that was just because of Nikki, Loveita and Cass. The format really wasn't my cup of tea, I enjoyed it for what it is but I don't want BBUK to become like that. I tried watching a bit of this years BBCAN as well but I couldn't get into it.
How can you guarantee that? When BBUK have done house votes there has never been an HoH or a Veto played so no opportunity for 'big characters' (again, I swear you're normally someone who chastises people like me for using that as an argument) to save themselves or even put themselves in power. Like I said, I generally prefer the eviction orders on BBUS/Can than I do on BBUK and the crucial thing is that if a favourite of mine gets evicted, it's their own fault and not the fault of voters who don't have a clue what they're doing evicting them for being a woman and/or speaking in an episode. Makes me a lot less annoyed watching the series.

Quote:
It's mainly CBB that the public make terrible voting decisions on tbh. The only dodgy one (that had an affect on the show) that I can think of is Helen winning the entire thing.
CBB is generally better thanks to VTS. If I went through the Wiki's I could probably name multiple appalling eviction results on civilian BB in the last three years alone.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:55 PM #59
-

Favourites (more):

-

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam. View Post
Americans are fake and 2 faced so that version suits them Brits are known to say it as it is and be real
You go around stereotyping yet Canada, the country that is stereotyped to be one of the most polite, loves the format

You make no sense
Old 30-08-2017, 06:58 PM #60
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
CBB is generally better thanks to VTS. If I went through the Wiki's I could probably name multiple appalling eviction results on civilian BB in the last three years alone.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:03 PM #61
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Actually, people playing emotionally rather than strategically is a much more entertaining use of the US format so I wouldn't have a problem with that at all. Many of the best seasons and houseguests are those dominated by emotional gameplay. The very idea of someone like Jayne Connery or Natalie Rowe hosting a nominations ceremony makes me piss. As I said in another thread, my preference would be for them to make half the cast people like that, and the other half people who are there for the money at all costs and will play strategically.
I'm not dead against incorporating some aspects of the US format into BBUK like letting them discuss noms, having ceremonies etc but imo they should never get rid of the public vote, because that is not how Big Brother works in the UK and I like it like that and so do the vast majority of viewers. They don't have to completely get rid of the format and change it to get viewers back and make the show better, they literally just need to make the rules consistent again (2 or more with most noms are up) and stop having constant pointless twists.

Last edited by Greg!; 30-08-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:04 PM #62
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

They can copy the African one but that is it

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Denver is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:05 PM #63
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

I'm with Jack on this.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:12 PM #64

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie
BB18: Chanelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
One of the many reasons the US format wouldn't work here is that the housemates would just vote out people that get on their tits (aka the entertaining people) rather than thinking about it strategically, unless they cast 16 "gameplayers" like Dexter and Aaron Allard-Morgan which I don't really want to watch.
They Aired BBUSA here back in 2002 at the height of the BBUK's popularity and it didn't work. It wouldn't work now either I find it tedious when all we are shown is housemates acting up and talking about nominations.

Last edited by pontyboi; 30-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.
pontyboi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:12 PM #65
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina
Legends Only

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2018: Sabrina

Remember when 90% of the public voted against letting the housemates talk about nominations?

Yeah that's how much the viewers of the show love gameplaying and strategy.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:17 PM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Channel 4 won't take it back when gbbo recieved over 7 million viewers they are the ones who turned bb into what it would later become aswell, people forget that. Like mario going outside to do a magic show with Davina and bens dreadful comedy routine to the audience in bb11.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:22 PM #67
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyHollyoaks View Post
Just for fun...

Rebecca (yes I know this was VTS)
Joe
Simone
Sue
Chanelle!
Marco
Natalie
Georgina
Charlie
Harriet/Amy & Sally/Sarah
Jade
Marc
Harry Amelia
Pauline
Toya
Steven
Mark
Wolfy
Dan
Callum
Hazel

So 23 evictions where the wrong person went in around 40 legit evictions. I wouldn't call that a success rate

Quote:
I'm not dead against incorporating some aspects of the US format into BBUK like letting them discuss noms, having ceremonies etc but imo they should never get rid of the public vote, because that is not how Big Brother works in the UK and I like it like that and so do the vast majority of viewers. They don't have to completely get rid of the format and change it to get viewers back and make the show better, they literally just need to make the rules consistent again (2 or more with most noms are up) and stop having constant pointless twists.
I've no problem with them keeping a public vote either, in fact I think it'd be a good compromise. But if they're going to have public influence it cannot be direct control over who goes home or else there's no point in even tweaking the format. If the HoH were to nom three people, and the public voted to save one post-Veto, leaving the housemates to evict one of the remaining two I'd quite like that. It would add another dynamic to the game too because your target could be saved week on week by the public.

I'll always agree about a consistent format (I just don't believe the original is the right one) and less tacky twists, but I no longer believe a 'back to basics' series is going to cut it. The entire show is stale, even down to the very way it's edited and put together, to the live show presentation - everything. The show needs an entirely new look and I don't think more normal housemates and regular noms is it. Either way though, none of this is going to happen and it's going to be more of the same crap from Ben Frow and the BTEC Media students and BBUK will be axed within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaker View Post
Remember when 90% of the public voted against letting the housemates talk about nominations?

Yeah that's how much the viewers of the show love gameplaying and strategy.
That's because people don't like and aren't open to change (a common validation for VTE is 'it's the traditional way' ffs) I know I'm in the minority on this too but there's a reason why the first two weeks of BB13 were the best (and why it was one of the best starts to a BB series on C5)
Old 30-08-2017, 07:25 PM #68

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB17: Jason

Favourites (more):
BB17: Jason

I dont use amazon or netflix & I certainly wont pay extra for it, so I wont be watching if it does go to either of them
tanussa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:25 PM #69
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurryface View Post
I'm with Jack on this.
Thank you
Old 30-08-2017, 07:28 PM #70
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'll always agree about a consistent format (I just don't believe the original is the right one) and less tacky twists, but I no longer believe a 'back to basics' series is going to cut it. The entire show is stale, even down to the very way it's edited and put together, to the live show presentation - everything. The show needs an entirely new look and I don't think more normal housemates and regular noms is it. Either way though, none of this is going to happen and it's going to be more of the same crap from Ben Frow and the BTEC Media students and BBUK will be axed within a year.
I don't want it to go back to basics in the sense of like BB4 for example. I just mean there shouldn't be twists every single week, it should be edited and produced in the style of BB5-BB10, live feed should be brought back to bring back former viewers and bring in new ones, and the rules should be consistent again. Maybe a few tweaks here and there to keep the show feeling fresh.

Last edited by Greg!; 30-08-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:28 PM #71
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:
Just for fun...

Rebecca (yes I know this was VTS)
Joe
Simone
Sue
Chanelle!
Marco
Natalie
Georgina
Charlie
Harriet/Amy & Sally/Sarah
Jade
Marc
Harry Amelia
Pauline
Toya
Steven
Mark
Wolfy
Dan
Callum
Hazel

So 23 evictions where the wrong person went in around 40 legit evictions. I wouldn't call that a success rate
mess, but they won't listen

VTE is the worst, and it shows looking at your list
Old 30-08-2017, 07:30 PM #72
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

also jack half of those people on your list of public vote eviction results are trash anyway. Anyone could go back and list dozens of bad results in BBUS, it doesn't prove one format is better one way or the other.

Last edited by Greg!; 30-08-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 30-08-2017, 07:33 PM #73
Victim Noises

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 6: Kaela

Victim Noises

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 6: Kaela

Tragic public taste is more responsible for terrible evictions than the voting format imo

Spoiler:

EspeonBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 07:34 PM #74
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't want it to go back to basics in the sense of like BB4 for example. I just mean there shouldn't be twists every single week, it should be edited and produced in the style of BB5-BB10, live feed should be brought back to bring back former viewers and bring in new ones, and the rules should be consistent again. Maybe a few tweaks here and there to keep the show feeling fresh.
I'll always support the return of live feed, even more so under US rules.

But I just don't think any of that would be enough anymore? I did one or two years ago...but the rot is so deep now that they effectively have to create a brand new show to give the impression that it's not the same old one anymore.

Having said all of this though, if the promotion isn't there for whatever kind of series they come up with, it will flop. I genuinely believe that's half the reason BB18 faired so bad, there was no promotion and so no basis upon which to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyHollyoaks View Post
mess, but they won't listen

VTE is the worst, and it shows looking at your list
I know right

Quote:
also jack half of those people on your list of public vote eviction results are trash anyway
But you see this is just it, if the eviction orders work for you then the public vote is great! They almost never do for me, hence why I think it's one of the most counterproductive parts of the format

I should point out that the people on that list are there because I believe in every case there was at least one person who deserved to leave over them, whether I supported them or not is irrelevant
Old 30-08-2017, 07:39 PM #75
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Anyone could go back and list dozens of bad results in BBUS, it doesn't prove one format is better one way or the other.
I'll go and do it if someone wants me to compare, but like I said, if someone gets evicted under US rules at least it's 99.9% of the time their own fault and through their own doing. I can accept that far more than I can when a favourite of mine in BBUK is evicted because they're a woman and/or dared to actually participate in the series

I also think having no public vote is more true to the ~social experiment~ that Big Brother is supposed to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspeonBB View Post
Tragic public taste is more responsible for terrible evictions than the voting format imo
I completely agree with that, if we had the Canadian audience it (generally) wouldn't be so bad. The problem is you can't replace the viewers so we're stuck with their terrible eviction voting, thus the only way you can salvage that is by ridding them of their power

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amazon, channel 5, drop, fight, netflix, show