Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Sport Talk about all the latest events from the world of sport here

Old 05-05-2007, 12:24 PM #1

Default De La Hoya vs Mayweather

So then one of the biggest fights in recent boxing history see's Oscar De La Hoya take on Floyd Mayweather JNR, the Golden Boy vs the current pound for pound best fighter in the world.But who are you tipping to win this mega fight?

For me Floyd by UD, just cannot see Oscar being quick enough to beat him.I think the only chance Oscar has is by KO.

Some more info on the fight:

Quote:
Floyd Mayweather was given a stormy reception when he met Oscar de la Hoya at the weigh-in for their Las Vegas super-fight on Saturday.

De la Hoya tipped the scales on the light middleweight limit of 154lb, while Mayweather came in 4lb lighter.

An estimated 7,000 fans turned out for the weigh-in, with most cheering De la Hoya and many booing Mayweather.

The highly-anticipated clash between the two Americans promises to be the richest in boxing history.

"I feel strong and ready to go," said the 34-year-old De la Hoya, who is a clear underdog with the Las Vegas bookmakers.

"I'm just really anxious. It's just a matter of controlling the pace and being really smart out there."

Mayweather, 30, said: "Weight doesn't win fights, popularity doesn't win fights. Skill wins fights.

"I don't care if he outweighs me by 25lb. I'm going to beat him when all's said and done."

That guy's fake, every day trying to sweep everything under the rug

Six-weight world champion De la Hoya is defending his WBC light middleweight belt against the unbeaten Mayweather, a world champion at four weights.

With the two combatants being billed by many as potential saviours of boxing, they are under tremendous pressure to deliver a classic fight.

De la Hoya, who has 38 wins (30 KOs) and four losses, has generated £245m in pay-per-view revenue alone since 1995.

Mayweather, who is 37(24)-0, is arguably boxing's best pound-for-pound fighter, but does not come close to his fellow American's marketability.

De la Hoya is reportedly being paid £15m and Mayweather £6m.

And De la Hoya has promised to dole out a "humbling experience" to Mayweather in the ring.

"He's a brat that needs a reality check. He's very arrogant and I truly feel he needs a humbling experience," said the Los Angeles native.

"Mayweather talks all this trash. It's disrespectful and it really revs me up to shut him up."

But Mayweather hit back: "I'm not like him, I don't have nothing to hide. This is real. That guy's fake, every day trying to sweep everything under the rug.

"He's a party animal, he likes to go to strip clubs. They're trying to make it like 'Floyd Mayweather is jealous of Oscar' - I'm happy for him."

Mayweather added that he still intends to quit boxing after Saturday's fight, whether he wins or loses.

"This is my last fight. I've made a ton of money and I just want to be normal."

De la Hoya added: "Mayweather has tremendous skills but obviously the opposition he's faced hasn't really been up to par to the great champions.

"But he's obviously a dangerous fighter. The build-up can make you or break you and the question is 'how is Mayweather handling it?'

"I'm enjoying myself, I've been through this for many years and it's what I look forward to."

Meanwhile, veteran trainer Emmanuel Steward, who once guided De la Hoya, said he favoured Mayweather because of his speed and youth.

"This is the fight Mayweather has wanted all his life. When you have the fight you have been obsessed with it's hard to lose," Steward said.

"No one has ever physically handled him. Speed neutralizes a lot of disadvantages. His ability to avoid punches with very little movement is going to be important.

"Oscar has lost a lot of his speed. That will be a problem. Oscar traditionally has not had success when he fights people with fast hands. Oscar has to apply pressure. He has to do it behind a left jab.

"Mayweather has a lot of smart moves. What he doesn't have is an authoritative jab."

The clash could surpass the record 2m pay-per-view sales set by Tyson-Evander Holyfield II in 1997.

The fight has already set a record for the biggest live gate at £9.6m, surpassing the Holyfield-Lennox Lewis rematch in 1999.

Tickets for ringside seats are exchanging hands for £10,000 and the bout will be seen in 176 countries.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/6610657.stm
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM #2

Mayweather by knockout
THE_JUNK_MAN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:23 PM #3

Could well happen, like with the Oscar-Bernard Hopkins fight.

Welcome back btw, not seen you on here in about a year.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:14 AM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_
Could well happen, like with the Oscar-Bernard Hopkins fight.

Welcome back btw, not seen you on here in about a year.
Hey Dan

thanks man its great to be back mate.....

Mark
THE_JUNK_MAN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:40 PM #5

Mayweather wins via a split decision-116-112,115-113,113-115.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:35 PM #6
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

This fight was much closer than 116-112. I thought Mayweather would have won it easier.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM #7
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

This fight was much closer than 116-112. I thought Mayweather would have won it easier.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:49 PM #8

I had it 115-113 Mayweather.

Oscar showed he's still a really top quality fighter but in the later rounds he just seemed to run out of stamina abit, he should've used his jab a lot more and all.Mayweather keeps hinting at a rematch.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM #9
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

I agree Dan. Mayweather finished stronger. Oscar looked in as good a shape as he has for a while but, you're right, he had no where near enough stamina for Mayweather.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
de, hoya, la, mayweather