Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 20-08-2017, 07:42 AM #1
User banned

User banned

Default Brillos EU/Brexit thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40972776

Yet more good news for Brexit.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:24 AM #2
-

-

Quote:
Removing all trade tariffs and barriers would help generate an annual £135bn uplift to the UK economy, according to a group of pro-Brexit economists.
Well it's nice to know that they're impartial
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 08:53 AM #3
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Well it's nice to know that they're impartial
They are also economists so maybe, just maybe they are pro-Brexit because they can see the benefits in a way Joe Public can't. They are better informed. Besides it always works both ways.
Old 20-08-2017, 08:58 AM #4
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

The economy is in the toilet because of brexit, how is this more good news? There hasn't been any good news yet

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:06 AM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
The economy is in the toilet because of brexit, how is this more good news? There hasn't been any good news yet
Think I'll take the words of an informed economist over that of a fear driven remainer thanks.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-08-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:13 AM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Think I'll take the words of an informed economist over that of a fear driven remainer thanks.
You'll take the word of an economist if it's one of the few that is saying that Brexit is a shining star. If it's one of the DOZENS of economists who have stated how disastrous Brexit has been / will be, you're happy to ignore them and bleat that the "public has spoken!". Snooze.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:16 AM #7
-

-

Quote:
They are also economists so maybe, just maybe they are pro-Brexit because they can see the benefits in a way Joe Public can't. They are better informed.
Just to echo my comment above really. You are happy to ignore the economists and financial experts who believe that Brexit will be hugely damaging to the economy... and fall back on the Joe Public vote.

Whatever suits your argument at the time eh Brillo?
Old 20-08-2017, 09:20 AM #8
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Just to echo my comment above really. You are happy to ignore the economists and financial experts who believe that Brexit will be hugely damaging to the economy... and fall back on the Joe Public vote.

Whatever suits your argument at the time eh Brillo?

And that doesn't work both ways then?

I choose to believe the positivity of these economists because I agree with them. You choose to believe the negativity of other economists because you agree with them. The difference is?
Old 20-08-2017, 09:21 AM #9
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
You'll take the word of an economist if it's one of the few that is saying that Brexit is a shining star. If it's one of the DOZENS of economists who have stated how disastrous Brexit has been / will be, you're happy to ignore them and bleat that the "public has spoken!". Snooze.
Ignorance is bliss I guess

Old 20-08-2017, 09:26 AM #10
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss I guess
Says the so-called expert. It is indeed. Enjoy!
Old 20-08-2017, 09:36 AM #11
-

-

Quote:
And that doesn't work both ways then?

I choose to believe the positivity of these economists because I agree with them. You choose to believe the negativity of other economists because you agree with them. The difference is?
I don't believe anyone but myself, Brillo . I'm well aware that everyone has an agenda, that's why you don't find me posting links or articles for either "side".

You choose to believe the articles you do because you already agree with them. You choose to ignore the "negative" articles because you already disagree with them. What you're describing there is called "confirmation bias", and it doesn't really do anyone any good.

And no I'm not saying it's just Brexit Buddies who do that, ProEuerers do it too.

Tbh I don't really have a side on Brexit any more. I think it's very naive to think that the economy will do well with Brexit. But then, I also sort of think the EU is ****ed anyway. And sort of the whole western world. Because in the 80's everyone put their eggs in one neoliberal basket and 30 years later, neoliberalism is failing.

So Brexit, no Brexit, whatever, I don't think it makes much difference. The economy is going to suffer for a long time either way.

How's that for some positivity .

My only real hope is that Scottish Indy does happen because I believe that small scale economies of less than 10 million people are far more able to support normal citizens in times of economic hardship than larger 50+ million economies, which foster elitism and leave everyone else behind.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:37 AM #12
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Says the so-called expert. It is indeed. Enjoy!
Where did I say I was an expert? stop embarrassing yourself

Old 20-08-2017, 09:43 AM #13
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Where did I say I was an expert? stop embarrassing yourself
You constantly keep implying you know best - It is an opinion nothing more.

The difference in opinions between the experts demonstrates that no-one knows anything as fact and that all 'forecasts' are based on the 'opinions' of the experts. No-one can say with any certainty that one group of experts know better than the other - as usual it comes down to opinions not facts.

Please quit the playground tactics - you are wasting your time.

Last edited by Brillopad; 20-08-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 20-08-2017, 09:46 AM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I don't believe anyone but myself, Brillo . I'm well aware that everyone has an agenda, that's why you don't find me posting links or articles for either "side".

You choose to believe the articles you do because you already agree with them. You choose to ignore the "negative" articles because you already disagree with them. What you're describing there is called "confirmation bias", and it doesn't really do anyone any good.

And no I'm not saying it's just Brexit Buddies who do that, ProEuerers do it too.

Tbh I don't really have a side on Brexit any more. I think it's very naive to think that the economy will do well with Brexit. But then, I also sort of think the EU is ****ed anyway. And sort of the whole western world. Because in the 80's everyone put their eggs in one neoliberal basket and 30 years later, neoliberalism is failing.

So Brexit, no Brexit, whatever, I don't think it makes much difference. The economy is going to suffer for a long time either way.

How's that for some positivity .

My only real hope is that Scottish Indy does happen because I believe that small scale economies of less than 10 million people are far more able to support normal citizens in times of economic hardship than larger 50+ million economies, which foster elitism and leave everyone else behind.
I appreciate your honest post. We none of us know, we can only speculate based on our own opinions and that of those we choose to believe.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:01 AM #15
-

-

Quote:

The difference in opinions between the experts demonstrates that no-one knows anything as fact and that all 'forecasts' are based on the 'opinions' of the experts. No-one can say with any certainty that one group of experts know better than the other - as usual it comes down to opinions not facts.
If you truly believe this, though, then why say:

Quote:
Yet more good news for Brexit.
?

Surely you should be saying something like, "Another encouraging opinion about Brexit". Because as you say, it isn't news, it isn't something that has happened yet. At this point it's just speculation and - as you have said - speculation goes both ways so is largely meaningless. The only thing that will be "news" (good or bad) are the real facts and figures post-Brexit in a few years time. As things stand currently, the pound has taken a massive blow and has yet to recover at all. It MAY recover. It may go on to thrive again. Until something actually changes though, there is no "news".

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 20-08-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:12 AM #16
User banned

User banned

Quote:
If you truly believe this, though, then why say:

?

Surely you should be saying something like, "Another encouraging opinion about Brexit". Because as you say, it isn't news, it isn't something that has happened yet. At this point it's just speculation and - as you have said - speculation goes both ways so is largely meaningless. The only thing that will be "news" (good or bad) are the real facts and figures post-Brexit in a few years time. As things stand currently, the pound has taken a massive blow and has yet to recover at all. It MAY recover. It may go on to thrive again. Until something actually changes though, there is no "news".
Because so many pretend to 'know' what is going to happen with Brexit based on their opinions. People present these opinions as fact when actually they are not and I guess I counteract this by doing the same. They don't like it either.

Yes I could put it better, couldn't we all, but often irritations and annoyance get in the way. Human nature tends to lead us to respond to like with like. No it isn't helpful but if that is the template set out it gets to become the norm.
Old 20-08-2017, 10:47 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Yes I could put it better, couldn't we all, but often irritations and annoyance get in the way. Human nature tends to lead us to respond to like with like. No it isn't helpful but if that is the template set out it gets to become the norm.
Fair. And a pretty succinct summing up of TiBB Serious Debates & News .
Old 20-08-2017, 11:12 AM #18

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
The economy isn't in the toilet and Brexit hasn't happened yet we are still in the EU.

This is good news. I've always favoured a so called hard Brexit perhaps we should just get on with it. (ie leaving the EU rather than clinging to bits of it).

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 20-08-2017 at 01:10 PM.
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 11:57 AM #19

Quote:
Minford is being heavily criticized by other economists. I'm going to read up on this later because it has to be read and understood from all sides.
Old 20-08-2017, 12:37 PM #20
Banned

Banned

Experts' opinions only matter to leavers if they are telling them what they want to hear.

Remember Gove during the Brexit campaign telling people to ignore the legions of economists from across the board saying that Brexit was a bad idea?

Last edited by Tom4784; 20-08-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:12 PM #21

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Experts' opinions only matter to leavers if they are telling them what they want to hear.

Remember Gove during the Brexit campaign telling people to ignore the legions of economists from across the board saying that Brexit was a bad idea?
And that is exactly the same when it's those who want to remain so what's the point of saying it like it's something unique, everyone on here is attracted to news that supports their perspective.

You actually think anyone listens to Michael Gove except maybe his mum?

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 01:18 PM #22
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Old 20-08-2017, 01:36 PM #23
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
He's the biggest pillock going - so try again if you must.
Old 20-08-2017, 01:58 PM #24
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
And that is exactly the same when it's those who want to remain so what's the point of saying it like it's something unique, everyone on here is attracted to news that supports their perspective.

You actually think anyone listens to Michael Gove except maybe his mum?
I always heed what people with vastly more knowledge than me on a subject have to say. Gove's words obviously had an effect because I remember a lot of Leave voters on here basically echoing his words and doing their best to discredit what mass amounts of experts had to say because it wasn't what they wanted to hear.

If basically all the economic experts with all their different agendas, lifestyles, thoughts and opinions are alligned by saying that Brexit is a bad idea then you listen.

Last edited by Tom4784; 20-08-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 03:41 PM #25

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Yeah the thing with economists is they're usually either wrong or blind.They predict things off the mark or don't predict them at all.
We probably won't know until we're out for a few years.The good thing is that all the doom and gloom predicted immediate post Brexit vote didn't unfold.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 20-08-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
aid, attempted, ban, boost, brexit, camp, cleaners, countries, economic, economy, enforcement, eu, europe, failed, hard, home, juncker, lies, mass, migrants, migration, offer, powerful, remain, stop, threatens, uk, vacuum