Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 PM #51
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Happy for videos of any category to be played by children who are mature enough and whose parents sanction it, my eldest son played 18 videos from aged 11, my youngest son was okay with certain games not with others it's not a one size fits all scenario, they are both old enough to make their own decisions now
Good, I agree with that approach and with Leon's mother's approach.

Like I said before, when it comes to things like violent content and kids, providing context is more important than shielding them although, like you said, each kid is different.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:00 PM #52
Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Inactive

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Victoria
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Sony had a games conference on Tuesday in which they showed off a slate of upcoming games but two trailers in particular have caused a bit of a stir which are the two below.

Most of the controversy is centred around the second trailer and depiction of domestic violence with people saying that this kind of story doesn't have a place in gaming or that there should have been warnings ahead of the trailer being shown (There were no warnings that the show would contain content unsuitable for certain audiences).

Do you think the controversy is warranted? Are games too violent? Should games attempt to tackle difficult themes? Should there have been more warnings when it comes to conferences like this that are streamed to thousands of people?
Mess @ these being the only two games I've been keeping tabs on since they were announced I'm still gonna buy them lmao
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 AM #53

The clips are pretty violent but I don't have an issue with it. In both cases the violence seems to be part of the story rather than for the sake of it. And the actual messages are pretty positive. The character in the first clip being saved for intervening and stopping further violence against that other character, and the robot in the 2nd clip stopping the dad using violence against his child. So the games seem to be using violence as a device rather than promoting it.
On the issue of ratings and kids, I don't actually think violence in video games causes real life violence or influences kids to become violent, even kids know the difference between reality and a video game, they're not given enough credit sometimes. And if the violence frightens them so that they wouldn't enjoy the game, then they won't want to play it. I just don't think it's that much of an issue.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:54 AM #54
-

-

The issue people have had with the second one seems to be more about there not being a warning before the trailer was played to a crowd, given that the scenes depicted could be distressing for people who have experienced domestic violence. The game itself would likely have that listed on the back (under the age rating, it usually lists a few of the reasons for the rating). But yeah it's certainly not glorifying domestic violence, it's clearly against it. But that's where the confusion and double standards come in; people will accept domestic violence storylines in film and on TV but feel that in games it's "exploitative"... Which is mainly down to people not understanding how gaming has developed as a form of media over the last couple of decades.

The game is looking excellent though if it lives up to that trailer and actually features meaningful branching choices like that.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:10 PM #55
Banned

Banned

Not having a warning at the start of the show that it would contain scenes of violence and difficult themes are Sony's only mistake.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:10 PM #56
User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

User banned

Favourites (more):
BB13: Luke A
BB12: Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Maybe, just maybe, parents should pay attention to the age rating before buy little Timmy a copy of Grand Theft Auto V, you know, just maybe.
The onus is on the parent to check what their child is doing, but sad thing is a lot of parents are too selfish to bother nowadays, or too busy sat playing computer games themselves to care, they treat the media as a babysitter
chuff me dizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
conference, content, controversy, due, sony, violent