Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 19-11-2017, 08:26 AM #1
User banned

User banned

Default We don’t have a housing crisis, we have a population crisis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...on-crisis.html

I completely agree with this article as it is total commonsense - regardless of what newspaper reported it. Until we start looking at and addressing the real problem nothing will change.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-11-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:43 AM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Yeah,He’s basically saying that if all this project fear stuff is right and all these immigrants are so terrified of Brexit that they’re going flee the country in their droves then we won’t have a housing crisis anymore with all these free homes that have been left behind from ‘Brexidous’.He’s got a point.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:53 AM #3
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Yeah,He’s basically saying that if all this project fear stuff is right and all these immigrants are so terrified of Brexit that they’re going flee the country in their droves then we won’t have a housing crisis anymore with all these free homes that have been left behind from ‘Brexidous’.He’s got a point.
He does indeed!
Old 19-11-2017, 09:25 AM #4

So he starts by saying there is a population problem because of forigners. He then goes on to say that foreigners are still coming and will continue arriving well into Brexit and that's because, we, the British are tolerant multiculturalists, they are welcome here. He finally says that all these extra foreigners are not the problem. We just need housing and infrastructure for everyone.

The following comments praise the authors' confusing blog with things like "At last..somebody telling it. like it really is! This is the real truth"

What he's moaning about is the remainers but what he's saying makes little to no sense at all... does it?

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 19-11-2017 at 09:26 AM.
DemolitionRed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:45 AM #5
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
So he starts by saying there is a population problem because of forigners. He then goes on to say that foreigners are still coming and will continue arriving well into Brexit and that's because, we, the British are tolerant multiculturalists, they are welcome here. He finally says that all these extra foreigners are not the problem. We just need housing and infrastructure for everyone.

The following comments praise the authors' confusing blog with things like "At last..somebody telling it. like it really is! This is the real truth"

What he's moaning about is the remainers but what he's saying makes little to no sense at all... does it?
He also says we will continue to need a skilled workforce from overseas for which such workers, after Brexit, and their families will be sufficiently rewarded but we cannot continue to take in so many that it has a detrimental effect on housing and others areas in this country that effects everyone.

Yes, we can build and build and build ... but let’s not forget we are a small island and cannot do so indefinitely. From my experience that is a view more common from those coming in rather than those already here as it is a view born from self-interest with no understanding or concerns for anything other than getting in and reaping the financial rewards.

Do we have to lose all our countryside and all the attractive parts of our country to build more concrete jungles until we are bursting at the seems and quite literally have nothing left. Is that your vision for this country, it certainly isn’t mine. When will enough be enough.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-11-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 19-11-2017, 09:50 AM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I'll take your word on this,I wouldn't hurt my eyes reading even a snippet of a Daily Mail article.
So cannot comment further on this one.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:59 AM #7
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I'll take your word on this,I wouldn't hurt my eyes reading even a snippet of a Daily Mail article.
So cannot comment further on this one.
Sorry Joey but I think that’s a cop-out. You cannot reach a fair judgement without looking at both sides.

I certainly don’t particularly enjoy reading much of the drivel I see in the Guardian or the Canary - but I do so to see why others say they support certain viewpoints whether I agree or not.

In my opinion the Guardian has some of the most hard-left journalists of any paper constantly whinging about Brexit to the point of blatant manipulation. They whinge and moan for ‘England’ trying to make out they do so on behalf of the majority, when they clearly don’t and simply refuse to take on-board anything other than their blatant left wing agendas. The Guardian is now a one-sided complete borefest with AGENDA written all over it. You couldn’t pay me to actually pay to read that crap - I do so second-hand to see what utter rubbish they are chucking out there today.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-11-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 19-11-2017, 10:17 AM #8

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

So hammonds wasting his time saying hes going to be building 300,000 new homes.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:57 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
So hammonds wasting his time saying hes going to be building 300,000 new homes.
He's not. They have been making promises of building homes for a very long time.

As for re-building, we have a huge amount of brown space in the UK but building gets hampered by homeowners constantly rallying the troops to fight against planning permission. My parents recently told us they couldn't come round for lunch because they were going to a council meeting to fight a planning application. It turned out that planning application was over a mile away from where they live and f all to do with them.

London suffers from lack of space but there are masses of empty properties in London and there are masses of empty properties up and down the UK. All the good areas of London are mainly Suadi, China and Russian owned investments that sit empty.

There's a lot we can do to provide housing. We do have space, we do have available brown land that isn't being used but we do need money to come out of London and injected into northern areas and that isn't happening.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:11 AM #10
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Forced sterilisation is a must!
Old 19-11-2017, 11:18 AM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

if we don't have a net influx of immigrants, we won't be able to pay the current pensions bill, everyone in politics knows this, but it rarely gets a mention. We need immigration to balance the books, and anyone who thinks net immigration is going to stop, they are in for a big disappointment. We may be in control of who comes in, but that will be about the limit of it. That is why more housing is needed, that is why money is allocated for housing.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:23 AM #12
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
if we don't have a net influx of immigrants, we won't be able to pay the current pensions bill, everyone in politics knows this, but it rarely gets a mention. We need immigration to balance the books, and anyone who thinks net immigration is going to stop, they are in for a big disappointment. We may be in control of who comes in, but that will be about the limit of it. That is why more housing is needed, that is why money is allocated for housing.
But we will have some control over numbers and some vetting procedures in place to keep out those that pose a danger to our country and the people in it ie terrorists and criminals and those that will only take. I think that’s what most people wanted.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-11-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:44 AM #13
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Obviously no-one with a brainstem would claim we need to stop ALL immigration. But we could certainly do with some quality control. Limiting the numbers would help the "housing crisis" more than ruining our countryside.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:45 AM #14
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Sorry Joey but I think that’s a cop-out. You cannot reach a fair judgement without looking at both sides.

I certainly don’t particularly enjoy reading much of the drivel I see in the Guardian or the Canary - but I do so to see why others say they support certain viewpoints whether I agree or not.

In my opinion the Guardian has some of the most hard-left journalists of any paper constantly whinging about Brexit to the point of blatant manipulation. They whinge and moan for ‘England’ trying to make out they do so on behalf of the majority, when they clearly don’t and simply refuse to take on-board anything other than their blatant left wing agendas. The Guardian is now a one-sided complete borefest with AGENDA written all over it. You couldn’t pay me to actually pay to read that crap - I do so second-hand to see what utter rubbish they are chucking out there today.
I've no time for any so called newspapers.
So very happy to indeed cop-out as you put it.

Even moreso to the likes of total gutter trash like the Daily Mail however.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:50 AM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
But we will have some control over numbers and some vetting procedures in place to keep out those that pose a danger to our country and those that will only take. I think that’s what most people wanted.
There has always been a huge vetting process in place. Getting into the EU if your not an EU national or have a right to reside in the UK, is and always has been a difficult process. You seem to be under the impression that getting into the UK is a really simple process, it isn't and I know. I married an Iranian man and we lived in Iran because the Brits would not give him a visa, even though we had a profession, money, and sponsors. America allowed us in and Germany allowed us in but Britain turned their back on him, on me and on our son.
Old 19-11-2017, 03:44 PM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
He's not. They have been making promises of building homes for a very long time.

As for re-building, we have a huge amount of brown space in the UK but building gets hampered by homeowners constantly rallying the troops to fight against planning permission. My parents recently told us they couldn't come round for lunch because they were going to a council meeting to fight a planning application. It turned out that planning application was over a mile away from where they live and f all to do with them.

London suffers from lack of space but there are masses of empty properties in London and there are masses of empty properties up and down the UK. All the good areas of London are mainly Suadi, China and Russian owned investments that sit empty.

There's a lot we can do to provide housing. We do have space, we do have available brown land that isn't being used but we do need money to come out of London and injected into northern areas and that isn't happening.
Use your savvy.

Dont believe fake news...you may be right about the best areas in london..but that just means the other areas will be given an overhaul....
Old 19-11-2017, 04:01 PM #17

Quote:
Use your savvy.

Dont believe fake news...you may be right about the best areas in london..but that just means the other areas will be given an overhaul....
Fake news?!? What is this fake news you talk about? and what part of my post are you trying to belittle me about? Brown space land?

Do you know how many times a plot of building land gets traded? Are you aware that before those houses or flats are even built, they've usually been sold often more than once? People buy land and sit on it because of its moving value. Buying building land is like buying bitcoin and that's why there are vast swathes of building land that landowners are sitting on and trading on. Building and selling is the final option in the feeding frenzy of making money.
Old 19-11-2017, 04:13 PM #18

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Fake news?!? What is this fake news you talk about? and what part of my post are you trying to belittle me about? Brown space land?

Do you know how many times a plot of building land gets traded? Are you aware that before those houses or flats are even built, they've usually been sold often more than once? People buy land and sit on it because of its moving value. Buying building land is like buying bitcoin and that's why there are vast swathes of building land that landowners are sitting on and trading on. Building and selling is the final option in the feeding frenzy of making money.
I would never intentionally try and belittle you dr..please!

I was going to say the only brown space was jeremys voice..i never.

But you cant just say people sit on land for rising value....just as many and probably the vast majority dont...you especially can't say it when you start by saying how many times a bit of land has been sold, then end up saying landowners sit on it....jeremy would be proud, you nearly got me with your flim flam.

Last edited by parmnion; 19-11-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 19-11-2017, 04:45 PM #19

Quote:
I would never intentionally try and belittle you dr..please!

I was going to say the only brown space was jeremys voice..i never.

But you cant just say people sit on land for rising value....just as many and probably the vast majority dont...you especially can't say it when you start by saying how many times a bit of land has been sold, then end up saying landowners sit on it....jeremy would be proud, you nearly got me with your flim flam.
Back in my sinful days I worked for the property market. We dealt with a lot of brown belt land. We had one guy we used to call 'king of the gypsies' who would get land prospectors he knew to buy a piece of land that had been refused planning permission. He, for a price, would then bring in the gypsy camps and after six months, the local council would be desperately agreeing to planning consent providing the gypsies were dealt with. We knew him because the now tenable land was back on the market and so in our hands. Rarely did we see that land being built on but we often marketed that same piece of land more than once. Think about it; land has more intrinsic value than bricks and mortar. The value of the actual house is meaningless because its the land it sits on that moves up in price.

So I can only go by my own experience and my experience tells me that there is a big cartel of land prospectors and that's one of the reasons brown belt land with planning permission often doesn't get built on.

The only thing the government can do is give their councils enough money to buy land by compulsory purchase and sell it on with the provision that it has to be built on.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 19-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 19-11-2017, 08:16 PM #20
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

What a pathetic cop out, if council house building is at it's lowest levels since the 40's when there were decidedly fewer immigrants then how are we catering for them?... By not building homes? :/

The housing stock was sold off as it was proving too costly to maintain, take my home for example, 1950s post war steel framed precast concrete prefab... built to last 25yrs, still here as they are effectively substandard housing.

Yet according to Leeds city council it's worth £104k! No way is that true :/
Old 19-11-2017, 08:32 PM #21
Banned

Banned

I'm getting Linda Nolan teas except that, instead of everything being 'Jim's fault.' it's either 'Muslims' fault' or 'Immigrants' fault'.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 08:38 PM #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
What a pathetic cop out, if council house building is at it's lowest levels since the 40's when there were decidedly fewer immigrants then how are we catering for them?... By not building homes? :/

The housing stock was sold off as it was proving too costly to maintain, take my home for example, 1950s post war steel framed precast concrete prefab... built to last 25yrs, still here as they are effectively substandard housing.

Yet according to Leeds city council it's worth £104k! No way is that true :/
Steel reinforced concrete is really tough and will last forever. The only problem with the original prefabs was the lack of insulation but presumably, they've put external wall insulation on since?

Many new builds are prefab timber-framed houses but timber isn't going to last anything like as long as yours. I wouldn't knock it Kizzy, if I was looking to buy an ex-council house I'd be looking for a concrete prefab because of its stability.

Last edited by DemolitionRed; 19-11-2017 at 08:42 PM.
Old 19-11-2017, 08:59 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Steel reinforced concrete is really tough and will last forever. The only problem with the original prefabs was the lack of insulation but presumably, they've put external wall insulation on since?

Many new builds are prefab timber-framed houses but timber isn't going to last anything like as long as yours. I wouldn't knock it Kizzy, if I was looking to buy an ex-council house I'd be looking for a concrete prefab because of its stability.
Nope.... Nothing lasts forever

'Some of the latent defects in non-traditional buildings that have been identified by the BRE include corrosion in the steel stanchions in some steel framed houses, failure of the sealant/baffles in large panel systems, carbonation of concrete cladding resulting in cracking, spalling and exposure of steel reinforcement, excessive condensation and cold bridging'

http://theyorkshiresurveyor.co.uk/bl...016/9/10/leeds
Old 20-11-2017, 06:49 AM #24

The first boat we owned was ferrocement (similar to your house structure). We obviously had her structurally surveyed for fine line cracks but even for an old girl who'd done a lot of sailing (seawater is very corrosive) she was fine. My other half did a lot of research into ferrocement and so he knew what he was looking at. The only reason we sold her on was because we wanted something bigger with less draft (depth in the water). She was as solid as a rock though.

All houses can have structural problems. A lot of older London houses were built with hardly any foundations and suffer from subsidence and a lot of new builds aren't built to last. The last home we owned was a ten year old brick terrace but when four doors down started having problems, engineers found massive building defects. We knew after the first few days of moving in that there was little to no insulation in the internal walls because we could hear our neighbors having a pee I wouldn't touch a new build with a ten-foot bargepole unless my other half had been around to watch the build.

If you purchased a steel concrete prefab, you would have had a survey to look for structural cracks?
Old 20-11-2017, 08:46 AM #25
-

-

Quote:
The first boat we owned was ferrocement (similar to your house structure). We obviously had her structurally surveyed for fine line cracks but even for an old girl who'd done a lot of sailing (seawater is very corrosive) she was fine. My other half did a lot of research into ferrocement and so he knew what he was looking at. The only reason we sold her on was because we wanted something bigger with less draft (depth in the water). She was as solid as a rock though.

All houses can have structural problems. A lot of older London houses were built with hardly any foundations and suffer from subsidence and a lot of new builds aren't built to last. The last home we owned was a ten year old brick terrace but when four doors down started having problems, engineers found massive building defects. We knew after the first few days of moving in that there was little to no insulation in the internal walls because we could hear our neighbors having a pee I wouldn't touch a new build with a ten-foot bargepole unless my other half had been around to watch the build.

If you purchased a steel concrete prefab, you would have had a survey to look for structural cracks?
My Uni house was a brand new prefab town house and, whilst the walls between houses were well sound insulated... the internal walls within our house itself were pretty much made of paper. I remember the first time I realised... I heard the guy in the bedroom next to me cough, a very small cough, but it was as clear as if he was on the other side of the same room. Then realised that if I heard that little cough so clearly, he must DEFINITELY have been able to hear me having sex in my room, so the next time we were drunk I asked him if he had ever heard my pillow talk and he was like. ".... ... no...!" whilst turning beetroot. HAHAHA... ahh I do miss Uni.

Also the wall between my dad's flat (where he lived for a couple of years when I was about 20/21) and the flat next door was pretty much non-existant! Two young guys lived there, the bedroom I stayed in when I was there was on the adjoining wall... my dads was on the opposite side at the external wall so he didn't know of this issue... but when I was in bed there I could literally hear WHISPERING in the flat next door. I once stayed there on the 23rd of December, heard one of the guys bring a random girl home, bang her, then all of their whispery dirty talk afterwards, and then he asked what she was doing for new year... and THEN said "Sorry what was your name again?" and I ****ing burst out laughing then heard them both like "What the **** was that??? Hello???"

Turns out I love thin walls...

P.S. How do you make a boat out of cement??? This is nonsense.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crisis, don’t, housing, population