Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-11-2017, 10:54 PM #1
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
Default Man commits suicide after parking fines

What kind of a country are we living in where someone can be bullied to death over a parking fine
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 11:15 PM #2

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

Favourites (more):
BBUSA21: Kathryn
BBCanada 7: Dane

the world we live in today...
Eddie. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:57 AM #3
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):

UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:59 AM #4
A great thief

A great thief

</3
Old 28-11-2017, 08:11 AM #5
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:33 AM #6
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Absoloutely tragic.

I detest these fines when you have under a month to pay them off, most people are paid monthly and simply cannot afford to fork out a hefty fine mind month, it is pure greek from the claimants.

I hope whoever was behind that feels disgusted in themselves.
Old 28-11-2017, 08:43 AM #7
You know my methods

You know my methods

so he did not pay a £65 fine as he should becuase he parked in the wrong place

he did not work if it rained..

he did not contact the company to explain he just ignored all the letters until they got the bailiffs in?

The bailiffs gave him "no choice he had to pay their set terms (never heard of this, their job is to get the money but on agreed terms that are viable)

Thousands and thousands of people a day go through similar circumstances and dont kill themselves

This is the worst gutter journalism, the poor lad had some sort of mental issues and this put him over the edge but to blame the system of paying fines is ludicrous. the mum should look at his life and mental health first and stop blaming others

ridiculous
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 09:40 AM #8

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
so he did not pay a £65 fine as he should becuase he parked in the wrong place

he did not work if it rained..

he did not contact the company to explain he just ignored all the letters until they got the bailiffs in?

The bailiffs gave him "no choice he had to pay their set terms (never heard of this, their job is to get the money but on agreed terms that are viable)

Thousands and thousands of people a day go through similar circumstances and dont kill themselves

This is the worst gutter journalism, the poor lad had some sort of mental issues and this put him over the edge but to blame the system of paying fines is ludicrous. the mum should look at his life and mental health first and stop blaming others

ridiculous
He obviously had mental health problems to take his own life, to blame it on a parking fine is ludicrous.
The mother is looking to blame someone, might help her with her grief, but the programme has no excuse for making an issue of it.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 10:34 AM #9
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's how councils make their money now fines, as funding has been withhdrawn from central govt they have to find nore innovative ways of generating income and fines are the easiest.
If you're on a low income one fine can really dent your income, 2 and you begin the debt spiral.
Fines are not always priority over food, energy, rent, council tax, and petrol.

'The surplus produced from council parking operations in England rose by 10 percent over the past year, according to a new study.

Some £819 million was generated from the on and off-street parking activities of the 353 local authorities in England during the 2016/17 financial year, research found.

The figure was calculated by taking income from parking charges and penalty notices and then deducting running costs.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a8077541.html
Old 28-11-2017, 10:54 AM #10
-

-

He was certainly suffering from very serious depression and anxiety issues long before this and had probable been considering suicide for months if not years. No otherwise healthy, happy person kills them self over a very small amount of debt like this.

That said, one of the major characteristics of an anxiety disorder is being completely unable to see level-headed solutions to problems and "catastrophising" - blowing a problem way out of proportion and being unable to think clearly. So, this situation probably did ramp up his underlying anxiety, and then the frequent "pestering" from the "bailiff" (loan shark muscle on commission; that's all they really are) it's very likely that it is what tipped him over the edge... not getting a chance to regroup before being hit with reminder after reminder. This is so often what happens with people in debt. They WANT you to feel scared and trapped... they think that's the best way to get the money... and it's a horrific practice.

He should have told the guy to go and **** himself sideways and blocked his number. Call whatever number they've given, hold strong, make a payment arrangement (i.e. tell them to suck a dick until they agree to £10 a week, which they will) and moved on. Hell... the absolute worst case scenario is bankruptcy, which is highly unlikely from a small fine, and also not the end of the world for a young single person.

But that's not really the point. The point is, they were harassing someone who wasn't emotionally equipped to handle that sort of aggression. Sure, some will say "well that's not their fault and they weren't to know" but the simple fact is they shouldn't be harassing ANYONE like that, because a lot of people have anxiety issues, and a lot of people are conditioned to believe that money is the be all and end all of everything.

..... I mean... if £500 is suicide worthy I'm pretty screwed, as I'm easily £15k in the hole, have been for years, and my car is owned outright + I rent, it's not "legit debt" like a car or mortgage... it's cards and other bull**** . £300 a month goes straight down the drain . It's crappy but it's not the end of the world. I could work on paying it off but I do it for a couple of months and then get sick of the belt-tightening and go back to just paying the interest. Sigh. That doesn't even include damn student loans, we're at nearly £40k combined if you include those . Debt is sadly just a fact of young adult life these days.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 28-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 11:06 AM #11
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Do you have any outstanding fines, how would you know how they might affect you psychologically?

My daughter has debt as any student does but the way she reacts to that and the way she reacts if she receives a parking ticket is not the same, it's a different kind of stress being made to feel like a criminal.
Old 28-11-2017, 11:16 AM #12
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

I feel sorry for the mother as she is clearly devastated. There are agencies around to help with debt issues. It would have been more productive, I think, to focus on them and the assistance that they provide rather than trying to blame someone. Its shoddy journalism.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 11:33 AM #13
You know my methods

You know my methods

There was so much that mum wasnt telling however. She should not have been on the TV. Does she even consider that baliffs have debts, family, worries

dreadful by This Morning
Old 28-11-2017, 12:24 PM #14
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Do you have any outstanding fines, how would you know how they might affect you psychologically?

My daughter has debt as any student does but the way she reacts to that and the way she reacts if she receives a parking ticket is not the same, it's a different kind of stress being made to feel like a criminal.
Don't park illegally then. It isn't rocket science. We are living in world it seems where no one, except the Government, is expected to take any responsibility for their actions.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 12:25 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

It's great that it's being highlighted how much these fines can impact on your life, more needs to be done to assess the impact these have on people.
One minute you're just keeping your head above water, the next...you've drown.

Look at the new fine for speeding, a weeks wage or the best part of a months rent, I'm conflicted on that to be fair... nobody sticks to speed limits, I've tried to and it's more dangerous as those around you begin to drive more aggressively for holding them up!

But taking money from people just about managing?... :/ (don't ask me what happens if they don't work, I don't know )
Old 28-11-2017, 12:29 PM #16
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It's great that it's being highlighted how much these fines can impact on your life, more needs to be done to assess the impact these have on people.
One minute you're just keeping your head above water, the next...you've drown.

Look at the new fine for speeding, a weeks wage or the best part of a months rent, I'm conflicted on that to be fair... nobody sticks to speed limits, I've tried to and it's more dangerous as those around you begin to drive more aggressively for holding them up!

But taking money from people just about managing?... :/ (don't ask me what happens if they don't work, I don't know )
Speeding kills - darn right people should be fined. Don't we need to stop this selfish behaviour? Or do some only care when it is them or theirs on the receiving end?
Old 28-11-2017, 12:31 PM #17
Sod orf

Sod orf

My best friend killed himself 3 years ago today. I miss him so much.

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 12:40 PM #18
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Don't park illegally then. It isn't rocket science. We are living in world it seems where no one, except the Government, is expected to take any responsibility for their actions.
It's the government which have created the shortfall forcing councils to enforce more fines, many of which are overturned on appeal so they are not even an offence to begin with.
My daughter got one where the yellow line was entirely obscured by dead leaves! it was overturned.

I thought this govt hated bureaucracy and regulation... now it's ok to have a fully automated 'computer says no' nation because it facilitates the removal of your cash?

The thread is dealing with the issue of the impact of these fines on mental health, yet with your cutting sideswipe you have chosen to ignore that aspect to focus on your duty to defend without question every single governmental or council decision.
Old 28-11-2017, 12:45 PM #19
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Speeding kills - darn right people should be fined. Don't we need to stop this selfish behaviour? Or do some only care when it is them or theirs on the receiving end?
Why are you choosing to bait on this issue?...

I have no problem whatsoever with speeding fines, nor have I ever suggested I have.

The change from a set fine to a weeks wage however is different, who is tasked with this calculation? It would have to be a whole new department clearly.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:02 PM #20
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
It's the government which have created the shortfall forcing councils to enforce more fines, many of which are overturned on appeal so they are not even an offence to begin with.
My daughter got one where the yellow line was entirely obscured by dead leaves! it was overturned.

I thought this govt hated bureaucracy and regulation... now it's ok to have a fully automated 'computer says no' nation because it facilitates the removal of your cash?

The thread is dealing with the issue of the impact of these fines on mental health, yet with your cutting sideswipe you have chosen to ignore that aspect to focus on your duty to defend without question every single governmental or council decision.
Kizzy this is not a Government bashing incident it is one specific to the dead boy and his condition and if it wast a parking fine it would have been something else.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:08 PM #21
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I'm no psychologist but I reckon the parking fines were just one of a myriad of things this man was depressed about. Blaming everything on parking fines is so simplistic. Everyone has a certain amount of debt at some point in their life, some can manage it, some can't... parking tickets just aren't the issue here.

I have never paid a parking fine, I've never paid a speeding ticket... and that's because I stick to the speed limit and I don't park where I shouldn't. If you don't want to pay, don't break the law.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 01:17 PM #22
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Kizzy this is not a Government bashing incident it is one specific to the dead boy and his condition and if it wast a parking fine it would have been something else.
This is a debate on fines... my query is specifically relating to council funding being drawn from fines and therefore entirely relevant.
If you don't agree let it be known I don't care, that is my view.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:19 PM #23
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm no psychologist but I reckon the parking fines were just one of a myriad of things this man was depressed about. Blaming everything on parking fines is so simplistic. Everyone has a certain amount of debt at some point in their life, some can manage it, some can't... parking tickets just aren't the issue here.

I have never paid a parking fine, I've never paid a speeding ticket... and that's because I stick to the speed limit and I don't park where I shouldn't. If you don't want to pay, don't break the law.
Is't that what you would call 'supposition'?

Isn't it a civil offence, you're not actually breaking any law are you?

Last edited by Kizzy; 28-11-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 01:21 PM #24
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
This is a debate on fines... my query is specifically relating to council funding being drawn from fines and therefore entirely relevant.
If you don't agree let it be known I don't care, that is my view.
lol, er no it isnt

its a shoddy piece of tv journalism missing the point and indulging a mother who should know better

its nothing to do with bloody fines

did you watch the video?
Old 28-11-2017, 01:25 PM #25
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Why are you choosing to bait on this issue?...

I have no problem whatsoever with speeding fines, nor have I ever suggested I have.

The change from a set fine to a weeks wage however is different, who is tasked with this calculation? It would have to be a whole new department clearly.
I'm not baiting but speeding has potentially serious consequences and a higher fine is a better deterrent than a lower one. Anyone doing it takes the risk and therefore cannot moan about the level of the fine.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
commits, dare, f&#cking, f&#cking, fines, man, parking, suicide