Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:15 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaChristmas View Post
Surely the thread is more to do with the problem/worry that men can dress as women in a burkha.
Like The Slim Reaper says: what about terrorists that use cars? How many terrorist atrocities have we seen by men dressed in a burka ?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM #52
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Yeah thats a decent point I guess.

My issue would be..there are always blind spots in cctv. Would be quite easy to duck into an alley and take off the burkha, then the people watching will still be looking for a quick moving dementor.

But thats unlikely too really...that they would also know where the blind spots were and such (I know where all the blind spots are in Durham city centre Brother in law works on the cctv)
You would have to have knowledge of where blindspots are though which isn't exactly common knowledge, if a terrorist disappeared down an alley it doesn't mean they won't show up on another set of cameras at the other end.

There's too much CCTV to commit such a serious crime in public and get away with it. If they don't get caught at the scene of the crime then it's always a few hours later.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:17 PM #53
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
That demonstrates your lack of understanding or concern for what the Burkha represents to many women. Female slavery is an insignificant issue to some men for obvious reasons.
Right but you are acknowledging that there is a literal meaning, and a misinterpretation? Surely. I genuinely don't know how far back I need to go with you.

There is only one meaning with the KKK robes. And your comparison is ugly, and idiotic.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:20 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
Who is this guy? Can we keep him.
Seconds that!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:21 PM #55
0_o

0_o

Quote:
So could literally every other criminal in the entire history of the world ever, but lets not campaign for compulsary nudism at all times.
What a lovely thought
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:23 PM #56
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's an opinion piece on a story about domestic abuse.

You were asked if you had an example of a terrorist that got away because they wore a burkha. You didn't offer up an example, you just posted an opinion piece that took a real case of domestic violence and haphazardly used it to link to terrorism.
I explained it’s relevance in my opinion. There have been many reports of criminals/terrorists escaping in Burkhas as i’m Sure many have seen.

To try to imply that to cover your face in public areas is ok in modern times when security and identity increasingly play an important part in our everyday lives is ludicrous. One rule for all.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:24 PM #57
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Seconds that!
The desperation for alies.

Last edited by Brillopad; 02-12-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:30 PM #58

Quote:
Plenty of countries have banned them because they see them as a secunity threat. Anything that covers the face is.

What is to stop someone, anyone, donning a Burkha under which is hidden a weapon or a bomb and walking into a department store for instance. My point is is that due to the sensitivity of issues such as religion, female modesty of Muslim women and PC who Is going to ask them to remove their veil. It could be anyone behind it.

If an attack is carried out or another crime is committed it would also be impossible for witnesses or CCTV to identify and catch them.

How anyone can think it is ok for anyone to walk around in public areas covering their faces and identities in this day and age is beyond me.
France banned them in 2011. France is now considered the highest risk country in Europe for ISIS terrorist attacks.

As for the terrorist attacks in Europe, not a single one has been carried out by a man or a woman wearing a face covering. Why would they when they have free movement? People are more likely to be suspicious of someone fully covered than they are of a man wearing western style clothing.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:31 PM #59

Quote:
The desperation for alies.
On here yes. On other popular media forums I use, most people think similar to me.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM #60

Its a War out there in Pakistan
never ending.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM #61
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Right but you are acknowledging that there is a literal meaning, and a misinterpretation? Surely. I genuinely don't know how far back I need to go with you.

There is only one meaning with the KKK robes. And your comparison is ugly, and idiotic.
Your dismissal of the significance of requiring a woman to wear a Burkha and how offencive that is and how it is often used to enslave and abuse women who have no power is what many women would find ugly and idiotic.

It is every bit as offensive. Slavery is slavery and can’t be measured with one deemed to be more serious than another.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM #62
0_o

0_o

Quote:
France banned them in 2011. France is now considered the highest risk country in Europe for ISIS terrorist attacks.

As for the terrorist attacks in Europe, not a single one has been carried out by a man or a woman wearing a face covering. Why would they when they have free movement? People are more likely to be suspicious of someone fully covered than they are of a man wearing western style clothing.
Another great point actually. Wearing a burka or something draws attention to you. Attention is not good if planning an attack.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:38 PM #63
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
This deserves its own thread, would make an interesting discussion.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:43 PM #64
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your dismissal of the significance of requiring a woman to wear a Burkha and how offencive that is and how it is often used to enslave and abuse women who have no power is what many women would find ugly and idiotic.

It is every bit as offensive. Slavery is slavery and can’t be measured with one deemed to be more serious than another.
...I have no idea if you're baiting, if you're serious, and if you're okay. So I don't really know how to respond to this, without repeating myself? The KKK robes are used for one purpose. You compared this to a burqa, but not the burqa's main purpose, some misinterpretation of the burqa. Which was inappropriate and ugly. Take a breather, brillo.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 PM #65
User banned

User banned

Quote:

So what are you suggesting - we bow down to terrorism and don’t oppose the treatment of women for fear of retribution.

If there is a correlation it is because many Muslim men want the right to be able to treat women as property and are not going to give it up easily.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:50 PM #66
User banned

User banned

Quote:
...I have no idea if you're baiting, if you're serious, and if you're okay. So I don't really know how to respond to this, without repeating myself? The KKK robes are used for one purpose. You compared this to a burqa, but not the burqa's main purpose, some misinterpretation of the burqa. Which was inappropriate and ugly. Take a breather, brillo.
What misinterpretation - it is not a religious requirement of Islam - just a convenient interpretation to enable certain types of men to control and abuse powerless women.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:52 PM #67
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What misinterpretation - it is not a religious requirement of Islam - just a convenient interpretation to enable certain types of men to control and abuse powerless women.
"And I know this because last week for breakfast, I had a nice bacon sarnie, topped with fried egg, mustard, relish, and page 22 of the Daily Mail".
Old 02-12-2017, 02:57 PM #68
User banned

User banned

Quote:
"And I know this because last week for breakfast, I had a nice bacon sarnie, topped with fried egg, mustard, relish, and page 22 of the Daily Mail".

You’re the one obsessed with the DM not me. What I can say is that most tabloids are no better, including the Guardian, and many are worse. I source my info from many different sources as I have demonstrated on many occasions. But just you go ahead with your spurious insinuations if that’s what rocks your boat.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:12 PM #69
Banned

Banned

Quote:
I explained it’s relevance in my opinion. There have been many reports of criminals/terrorists escaping in Burkhas as i’m Sure many have seen.

To try to imply that to cover your face in public areas is ok in modern times when security and identity increasingly play an important part in our everyday lives is ludicrous. One rule for all.
You gave a tonedeaf comparison comparing the KKK hood to the burkha and little else.

If there's been that many reports of terrorists escaping in the west due to use of a burkha then why haven't you been able to link us to one? You were asked to provide a story and you've failed to do so.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 PM #70

Quote:
So what are you suggesting - we bow down to terrorism and don’t oppose the treatment of women for fear of retribution.

If there is a correlation it is because many Muslim men want the right to be able to treat women as property and are not going to give it up easily.
Are you suggesting with this that risk has risen in France since the burka was banned because of muslim men's reaction to the burka being banned? I'm confused because you also seem to be saying that the burka should be banned over here as doing so will reduce the risk of terrorism? Do these two things not conflict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
equally, they could dress up as police officers, army etc etc etc .... criminals have been dressing up in disguise for generations, our reaction has never been to ban what they are mimicking
A burka isn't really a disguise in the same sort of way as most outfits and costumes though since it covers their whole face and identity which I think is the main problem people have with the it? People who cover their faces using a disguise really do stand out and I think the fear is that the more 'normal' the burka becomes, the less someone will stand out when wearing one, so it will effectively become a disguise that not only hides the face but the person will also fit into a crowd without being noticed, so even though disguises have been around for generations, this would be a particularly unique scenario and very different to any other kind of disguise I can think of.

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it tbh, I don't realistically think that security services would stop themselves from questioning someone wearing a burka if they felt there was a security risk. But I understand the general concerns of someone being able to completely hide their identity in a public place. There's a lot of hypotheticals though and I just don't see any direct link between the burka and terrorism so general concerns about the burka aside I'm not sure if banning it would be all that useful with regards to terrorism?

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Old 03-12-2017, 08:56 AM #71
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Are you suggesting with this that risk has risen in France since the burka was banned because of muslim men's reaction to the burka being banned? I'm confused because you also seem to be saying that the burka should be banned over here as doing so will reduce the risk of terrorism? Do these two things not conflict?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 AM #72

Quote:

So this isn't really about terrorism, its about your mythical belief that its the Muslim men who make them wear it.

Sorry mate, this has been done to death... add tedium. Nothing will change your tainted view and so I'm not going to continue this conversation with you.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:05 AM #73

Quote:
PMSL
Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 AM #74
User banned

User banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post

A burka isn't really a disguise in the same sort of way as most outfits and costumes though since it covers their whole face and identity which I think is the main problem people have with the it? People who cover their faces using a disguise really do stand out and I think the fear is that the more 'normal' the burka becomes, the less someone will stand out when wearing one, so it will effectively become a disguise that not only hides the face but the person will also fit into a crowd without being noticed, so even though disguises have been around for generations, this would be a particularly unique scenario and very different to any other kind of disguise I can think of.

I'm not entirely sure where I stand on it tbh, I don't realistically think that security services would stop themselves from questioning someone wearing a burka if they felt there was a security risk. But I understand the general concerns of someone being able to completely hide their identity in a public place. There's a lot of hypotheticals though and I just don't see any direct link between the burka and terrorism so general concerns about the burka aside I'm not sure if banning it would be all that useful with regards to terrorism?
I was responding to a poster who seemed to be suggesting that there was a link between banning the Burkha in France and it apparently being the highest risk country in Europe for terrorist attacks.

I don’t know if that is true but rather flippantly suggested that if so it would likely be due to an act of defiance from Muslin terrorists opposed to equal rights for Muslim women and intent on trying to force France and the West to accept their backward views on women and way of life through violence and fear. As has been seen on many occasions fear and violence are clearly the weapons of choice for Muslim terrorists who refuse to integrate or accept the values and laws of the countries they forced their way into. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them. On the other hand, maybe it has more to do with numbers. If there is a larger Muslim population in France there may be a higher percentage of Muslim terrorists - I don’t know.

But I also feel that the Burkha could provide Muslim terrorists (male and female) and general criminals with the anninimity to commit terrorist attacks and criminal acts - they have after all already been used this way in Europe and the Middle-East. I have hardly plucked such a scenario out of the air. I do however think they are separate issues involving the wearing of the Burkha so don’t really see a conflict between them tbh.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:31 AM #75
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Any excuse to insult. Maybe I should follow your example and spend my time sticking pegs in my hair. Doh!
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
burkhas, dressed, gunmen, kill, pakisstan, students