Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-12-2017, 08:56 AM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Cane View Post
if households are paying 3 per cent towards social care in their Council Tax there is a level of accountability for families who have elderly relatives don't you think?, rather than it going into a black hole of income tax
I'm not necessarily against the idea of raising local taxes to be spent locally - when it comes down to it I tend to believe in "the smaller the better" government systems (e.g. this is why I believe that a Scottish government governing 5 million people is FAR better than a UK wide government trying to govern 60 million).

I'm also totally in favour of increased local budgets across the board and I feel like everyone should be willing to pay towards that. I know no one "likes" taxes but, basically, I think everyone would be much happier in general if they got to live in nice, clean, well maintained towns with plenty of local facilities... instead of run-down austerity ****holes. That's worth paying extra local tax for .

However... because of the way council tax works... IMO flat %age increases to council tax disproportionately affect low and low-middle incomes and that's something that needs to be addressed. As is more accountability for how that money is actually spent.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 09:53 AM #27
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
I'm not necessarily against the idea of raising local taxes to be spent locally - when it comes down to it I tend to believe in "the smaller the better" government systems (e.g. this is why I believe that a Scottish government governing 5 million people is FAR better than a UK wide government trying to govern 60 million).

I'm also totally in favour of increased local budgets across the board and I feel like everyone should be willing to pay towards that. I know no one "likes" taxes but, basically, I think everyone would be much happier in general if they got to live in nice, clean, well maintained towns with plenty of local facilities... instead of run-down austerity ****holes. That's worth paying extra local tax for .

However... because of the way council tax works... IMO flat %age increases to council tax disproportionately affect low and low-middle incomes and that's something that needs to be addressed. As is more accountability for how that money is actually spent.
As previously said there are reductions for waivers for low income families, anyone on a middle income gets nothing as usual, that said 10.00 a month is probably not going to break the bank for most middle earners
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 11:12 AM #28
-

-

Quote:
As previously said there are reductions for waivers for low income families, anyone on a middle income gets nothing as usual, that said 10.00 a month is probably not going to break the bank for most middle earners
There are for very low / no income but full CT liability kicks in at (what I would consider to be) fairly low income for a family and CT is one of the "biggest monthly bills" for most people at £100+ a month already. I know the only thing I pay out as much on is Gas and Electric (but our electricity use is considered "very high"... probably all my arguing on TiBB ) and my mountain of unsecured debt that comes in at about £300/month in interest but we won't talk about that ...

But yes... no £10 a month isn't a lot on it's own, but all of the little things add up. £10 more here, £10 more there, £30 a month more in fuel costs, etc etc. It's easy to say "it's just one more thing" but ten "one more things" quickly add up.

Again though, I am all for more money for local councils, our towns and streets are appalling to look at. I live in a high-average-earnings village within a low-average-earnings county and that makes the contrast quite stark; the council spend a lot on my village of less than 1500 people because they don't want the high earners to move away. Trees and bushes are always well clipped back, the roads have been resurfaced TWICE without roads in other nearby towns being done once, they maintain the appearance of any buildings that are empty on the main street, etc... but drive 5 minutes away and the state of the roads / overgrown areas at the sides of roads / dirty and broken signposting... buildings sitting empty that have fallen into such disrepair that they look like they've been bombed out... rubbish in the street, the list is endless. Councils need a MAJOR cash increase and they need to use it to make Britain less bloody depressing to look at and live in... compared to many European countries, most of our smaller towns are frankly embarrassing.

BUT - again - I think the way that is funded could and should be more creative than simply slapping a flat increase on Council Tax... for the reasons listed above.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:38 AM #29

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Councils need to spend their money on things that are needed instead of wasting it on things that aren't necessary such as the paintings on the side of their vans to advertise themselves as being a caring council lol,and glossy calendars that people mostly just bin !!there is 1000s of pounds saved already.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 11:50 AM #30
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker Sweet View Post
Councils need to spend their money on things that are needed instead of wasting it on things that aren't necessary such as the paintings on the side of their vans to advertise themselves as being a caring council lol,and glossy calendars that people mostly just bin !!there is 1000s of pounds saved already.
Exactly, no types of taxes should be raised until the councils/government spend the money they already get properly.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 12:53 PM #31
-

-

To be fair, our local council publishes a list of what they're spending on every year and there have been cuts recently for things that are pretty essential but I can't see where they could make savings elsewhere to fund them. For example, the village I live in used to have one bus an hour which was bad enough, that's now cut down to a bus every 2 hours, and there's a high chance that from next year there will simply be no bus at all. That's because the council has to subsidise it as it's not a profitable route for bus companies otherwise. However... We're 7 miles from the nearest town and without the bus, anyone who doesn't drive (mainly the elderly) is completely cut off to the extent that I can't even see how it would be possible for them to continue living here. A taxi to town and back is £20 and there's no other transport option .
Old 21-12-2017, 12:54 PM #32

Quote:
There are for very low / no income but full CT liability kicks in at (what I would consider to be) fairly low income for a family and CT is one of the "biggest monthly bills" for most people at £100+ a month already. I know the only thing I pay out as much on is Gas and Electric (but our electricity use is considered "very high"... probably all my arguing on TiBB ) and my mountain of unsecured debt that comes in at about £300/month in interest but we won't talk about that ...

But yes... no £10 a month isn't a lot on it's own, but all of the little things add up. £10 more here, £10 more there, £30 a month more in fuel costs, etc etc. It's easy to say "it's just one more thing" but ten "one more things" quickly add up.

Again though, I am all for more money for local councils, our towns and streets are appalling to look at. I live in a high-average-earnings village within a low-average-earnings county and that makes the contrast quite stark; the council spend a lot on my village of less than 1500 people because they don't want the high earners to move away. Trees and bushes are always well clipped back, the roads have been resurfaced TWICE without roads in other nearby towns being done once, they maintain the appearance of any buildings that are empty on the main street, etc... but drive 5 minutes away and the state of the roads / overgrown areas at the sides of roads / dirty and broken signposting... buildings sitting empty that have fallen into such disrepair that they look like they've been bombed out... rubbish in the street, the list is endless. Councils need a MAJOR cash increase and they need to use it to make Britain less bloody depressing to look at and live in... compared to many European countries, most of our smaller towns are frankly embarrassing.

BUT - again - I think the way that is funded could and should be more creative than simply slapping a flat increase on Council Tax... for the reasons listed above.
Interesting. Does your village fall into the Tory bracket?
Old 21-12-2017, 01:26 PM #33
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To be fair, our local council publishes a list of what they're spending on every year and there have been cuts recently for things that are pretty essential but I can't see where they could make savings elsewhere to fund them. For example, the village I live in used to have one bus an hour which was bad enough, that's now cut down to a bus every 2 hours, and there's a high chance that from next year there will simply be no bus at all. That's because the council has to subsidise it as it's not a profitable route for bus companies otherwise. However... We're 7 miles from the nearest town and without the bus, anyone who doesn't drive (mainly the elderly) is completely cut off to the extent that I can't even see how it would be possible for them to continue living here. A taxi to town and back is £20 and there's no other transport option .
But then you I remember you saying your council tax didn't go up last year? mine went up 5.5 per cent, 3 per cent of that to social care, will be interesting to see what they put it up by this year as they were on the high end of council tax rises last year, and we had to pay an extra 50 quid on top of that raise to get the green collected, that was a disaster for them so they have brought that back under the umbrella of council tax for this year.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 01:43 PM #34
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

[QUOTE=Candy Cane;9746529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas treeza View Post

My issue is tax is tax? At least 3 per cent of council tax is earmarked specifically for social care, as social care provision is managed individually by local councils, what is your issue with that? a 1 per cent rise in income tax might not be earmarked specifically and not given to local councils, so at least this way they are certain to have more funds which has to be a good thing yes?
No idea what you mean here, My issue is robbing peter to pay paul, what good is it lifting some out of paying tax whilst slapping almost 6% on those in boroughs already struggling with austerity?

There was a recent poll where it was found that people were happy to pay more tax if it was for the benefit of the NHS or social care, that to me would be a good thing.
Old 21-12-2017, 01:47 PM #35
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
its not purely about funding though, it about being progressively more efficient while still providing adequate services. That shouldn't be a one off event every time they are told to, it should be constantly under review as we are paying for it.

I guess that where I am lucky, being in a conservative led council, they don't tend to waste the money
I think you might find that being a conservative led council they are not bearing the brunt of the austerity cuts like some Labour led councils are. Have a look about for yourself at the disparity in cuts to councils from central govt and you'll see there is a huge gulf.

What is it you suspect Labour led councils are wasting money on?
Old 21-12-2017, 01:55 PM #36
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
if households are paying 3 per cent towards social care in their Council Tax there is a level of accountability for families who have elderly relatives don't you think?, rather than it going into a black hole of income tax
Or... you could look at it another way, by putting the onus on CT pensioners as well as those with no families to support are paying too aren't they?
Whereas if income tax was raised it would only be working age people required to pay, effectively this rise is unduly unfair on the elderly as they have paid in all their lives and are now being squeezed in retirement.

Why does it have to be a black hole? if 3% of CT can be earmarked why not 1% of income tax?
Old 21-12-2017, 02:48 PM #37
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
yeah there is a similar service level here and there are so few taxis that you are lucky if you get one booking a day ahead. Driverless cars are going to be a real saviour for those that can't drive
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
6%, council, raised, tax