Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 28-12-2017, 04:54 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I've had first hand experience of people with anorexia as well and frankly it's ridiculous to try and make that kind of diagnosis based on these pictures of her and what you've read about her in the Daily Mail. She looks thin yes (thin doesn't equal anorexic) but she also looks healthy and fit for somebody who is 50. But the fact that your top DM comment is about whether or not men are going to want to have sex with her highlights exactly what the issue is, and it isn't care about her wellbeing so let's not pretend that it is.

As for her looking gaunt, yes she does a bit, when women age they tend to lose fat in their faces (much more than men do) and that's going to be even more accentuated in someone who has very little body fat anyway, that's why so many of them in the entertainment industry and so many ageing women in general opt for fillers. And you can quite clearly see that her having little body fat is due to exercise. And exercising regularly and posting pictures of yourself on social media does not constitute an 'obsession' - especially for someone in the public eye who makes a career out of fitness (which Marsh laid out quite clearly for you but you seemed to ignore).

If you want to go down the "it's people like you..." road we could talk about people like you body shaming ageing women (or any women) and enabling the culture of fillers and plastic surgery, and to hide her body and feel ashamed of it, to keep people like you happy. But instead she's confident in her appearance and in her ageing regardless of what people like you think, despite the menopause and a marriage break up, and if she inspires that in other people instead of feeling the shame that people like you try and place on them then I'm happy to 'enable' that.

The issue is that some people are offended by the sight of ageing women showing off their bodies because it's not what's expected of them, and maybe you're right that my age influences my opinion on it, in that I don't have the same expectations and views of women that were probably more prevalent for people of your age.
Great post, Jamie... Some men just don't take too kindly to women who are confident in their own appearance.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 05:00 PM #52
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashsleigh View Post
Great post, Jamie... Some men just don't take too kindly to women who are confident in their own appearance.
If you know anything about addictive personalities and how they deal with crisis in their lives then you may see this totally differently
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 05:06 PM #53
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I've had first hand experience of people with anorexia as well and frankly it's ridiculous to try and make that kind of diagnosis based on these pictures of her and what you've read about her in the Daily Mail. She looks thin yes (thin doesn't equal anorexic) but she also looks healthy and fit for somebody who is 50. But the fact that your top DM comment is about whether or not men are going to want to have sex with her highlights exactly what the issue is, and it isn't care about her wellbeing so let's not pretend that it is.

As for her looking gaunt, yes she does a bit, when women age they tend to lose fat in their faces (much more than men do) and that's going to be even more accentuated in someone who has very little body fat anyway, that's why so many of them in the entertainment industry and so many ageing women in general opt for fillers. And you can quite clearly see that her having little body fat is due to exercise. And exercising regularly and posting pictures of yourself on social media does not constitute an 'obsession' - especially for someone in the public eye who makes a career out of fitness (which Marsh laid out quite clearly for you but you seemed to ignore).

If you want to go down the "it's people like you..." road we could talk about people like you body shaming ageing women (or any women) and enabling the culture of fillers and plastic surgery, and to hide her body and feel ashamed of it, to keep people like you happy. But instead she's confident in her appearance and in her ageing regardless of what people like you think, despite the menopause and a marriage break up, and if she inspires that in other people instead of feeling the shame that people like you try and place on them then I'm happy to 'enable' that.

The issue is that some people are offended by the sight of ageing women showing off their bodies because it's not what's expected of them, and maybe you're right that my age influences my opinion on it, in that I don't have the same expectations and views of women that were probably more prevalent for people of your age.
Absolutely fantastic

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 05:10 PM #54
A great thief

A great thief

Quote:

Old 28-12-2017, 05:12 PM #55
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

its not about her being confident in her appearance. She clearly is, and good on her, we all get what we are given and have to deal with it. The issue I see is that she isn't a typical 50 year old women, and I can assure you, I know many 50+ women that look much healthier than she does. If she thinks posting photos like that will encourage ANY generation into getting fit, she is on the wrong planet.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 05:14 PM #56
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
its not about her being confident in her appearance. She clearly is, and good on her, we all get what we are given and have to deal with it. The issue I see is that she isn't a typical 50 year old women, and I can assure you, I know many 50+ women that look much healthier than she does. If she thinks posting photos like that will encourage ANY generation into getting fit, she is on the wrong planet.
quite. i think people do not know and or understand about her past (sadly) and are rather looking at this from the wrong perspective

(plus they maybe have not seen the amount of narcissistic selfies that appear every day via the media as she gets thinner and thinner)
Old 28-12-2017, 05:36 PM #57
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Reading about Davina's past, including chapters from her biography, yes, she did have a troubled life, but she did a wonderful job getting herself out of it. It doesn't mean that holding her past addictions against her is an obligatory thing to do.
Even if she's trading her past addictions with sports, then at least it's a positive kind of obsession - she could have easily been lying in the street drunk and drugged, relapsing into her old self, but the way I see it, she's channeling it to a better place.
It's no more than a speculation and I think it's being OTT judgmental over just a video which is not even as tragic as DM made it look like.

Spoiler:

Old 28-12-2017, 05:44 PM #58

Anorexic
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 06:22 PM #59

Quote:
Many 50 year old women look better than her, many look worse... is your point that she has to look better than ALL other 50 year old women for it to be acceptable for her to post these types of pictures of herself online?
I don't think there really is such thing as a 'typical 50 year old woman' anyway, certainly less and less so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post
quite. i think people do not know and or understand about her past (sadly) and are rather looking at this from the wrong perspective

(plus they maybe have not seen the amount of narcissistic selfies that appear every day via the media as she gets thinner and thinner)
*older and older, not thinner and thinner.

You're assuming that people must be less informed than you are because they hold a different opinion? I'm well aware of her past I just don't think it's relevant to this at all because a. I don't think she looks ill or that her appearance has anything to do with an addiction to exercise, and b. I don't think the reason that many people have a problem with these pictures has got anything to do with her health.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 06:23 PM #60

The same thing happens whenever Madonna dares to wear something revealing, I think at some point people will just stop being shocked by it.

Old 28-12-2017, 06:31 PM #61
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
The same thing happens whenever Madonna dares to wear something revealing, I think at some point people will just stop being shocked by it.
madonna is not davina and there isnt a comparison save the arms perhaps
Old 28-12-2017, 06:48 PM #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post
madonna is not davina and there isnt a comparison save the arms perhaps
I'm not comparing their bodies (I mean they are quite similar but that's not the point I was making) and I'm not saying they are actually the same person

The comparison I'm making is about other peoples attitudes towards them being 50+ and showing off/showing confidence in their bodies.

Old 28-12-2017, 06:57 PM #63

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Quote:

Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:00 PM #64
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:

Fantastic post Jamie

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:12 PM #65
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
I'm not comparing their bodies (I mean they are quite similar but that's not the point I was making) and I'm not saying they are actually the same person

The comparison I'm making is about other peoples attitudes towards them being 50+ and showing off/showing confidence in their bodies.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression from the article is that she is setting herself up as a role model for others to follow. That's a completely different thing to having the confidence to post how you look. I couldn't care less what she looks like, but if she sets herself up as a role model for others to achieve, then I will comment on it. It's not shaming her for her look, its saying she has got to be kidding if she thinks anyone should consider her obsessive, frankly unhealthy obsession a good role model for anyone to aspire to
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:50 PM #66
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):

Just to make it clear: Davina >>>> Madonna

Spoiler:

Old 28-12-2017, 07:59 PM #67

Quote:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but my impression from the article is that she is setting herself up as a role model for others to follow. That's a completely different thing to having the confidence to post how you look. I couldn't care less what she looks like, but if she sets herself up as a role model for others to achieve, then I will comment on it. It's not shaming her for her look, its saying she has got to be kidding if she thinks anyone should consider her obsessive, frankly unhealthy obsession a good role model for anyone to aspire to
The message she's trying to give is that exercise and a healthy lifestyle can improve mental health. She's also showing confidence in her appearance and ageing by posting photos of her body online. Those are things that a lot of people will look up to and admire. You think she has an unhealthy obsession which I disagree with but fair enough, however I still think there's merit in what she's saying and the message she's giving people. When I mentioned shaming, I'm talking about the fact that most people seem to be more concerned with how she looks in terms of sexual attractiveness and the simple fact she is 50 and not wearing much, look at the DM comments, that's what I mean when I say she is being shamed, as women her age often are whenever they dare to show their bodies.

Old 28-12-2017, 08:01 PM #68
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheriff443 View Post
She is clearly taking the exercise to the extreme, and that can be hard to watch if you love someone.

The old saying too much of a good thing.
Yeah she doesn't look well there.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 08:12 PM #69

Favourites:

Favourites:

She looks completely fine and healthy just ripped. Think people should worry about their own excercise regime before hers
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:19 PM #70

Woman dares to take a selfie with no makeup

"OMG SHE LOOKS SO ILL!!! Gaunt! Frail!"
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bit, davina, days, state