Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 PM #51
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

I dont agree with censorship but if they say its not making them money then its their decision.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 PM #52
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Why not start with stopping the sale of a certain so-called ‘right-wing’ paper on trains then slowly chip away at anything not approved of by the lefties until one point of view is the only point of view. A lefties dream.
The thing is though Brillo, Virgin is allowed to sell whatever it wants on its trains... and not sell whatever it doesn't want to sell. Because it's a private company that is allowed to do whatever it thinks is best for its finances (or actually, just make whatever business decisions it wants for whatever reasons it wants).

And that private enterprise concept is 100% Right Wing. If someone / the government / the law were to step in and tell them that they're not allowed to stop selling the Daily Mail... that would actually go AGAINST right-wing economic ideology.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:03 PM #53
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The thing is though Brillo, Virgin is allowed to sell whatever it wants on its trains... and not sell whatever it doesn't want to sell. Because it's a private company that is allowed to do whatever it thinks is best for its finances (or actually, just make whatever business decisions it wants for whatever reasons it wants).

And that private enterprise concept is 100% Right Wing. If someone / the government / the law were to step in and tell them that they're not allowed to stop selling the Daily Mail... that would actually go AGAINST right-wing economic ideology.
IT is but it is also a business so if it pisses off enough of its passengers it’s profits could do a nosedive. He may be the ‘great’ Richard Branson but we are also seeing what a sulky, arrogant twat he is who uses his position to stamp his size 10s about Brexit. However such a sulky twit is neither appealing or infallible. There are plenty of other trains.

Last edited by Brillopad; 10-01-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:35 PM #54
Banned

Banned

Quote:
IT is but it is also a business so if it pisses off enough of its passengers it’s profits could do a nosedive. He may be the ‘great’ Richard Branson but we are also seeing what a sulky, arrogant twat he is who uses his position to stamp his size 10s about Brexit. However such a sulky twit is neither appealing or infallible. There are plenty of other trains.
I don't think people will, enmasse, boycott Virgin Trains because of a newspaper it no longer sells. You're trying to make out that this is a political thing to do the usual 'evil lefties!' schtick but you're ignoring what is truly important here, they sold ONE copy for every FOUR trains. Think of how many unsold newspapers that is on a daily basis. It's ridiculous to think that any company would continue to sell a product as unprofitable as that.

Richard Branson is a figurehead and I'm not sure what Brexit or his opinion regarding it has to do with anything related to the topic at hand. We're approaching the two year mark since the brexit vote, perhaps it's time you stop being bitter about the past? I don't even really understand why you're so bitter about it all, You got the result you wanted and the Tories are still in power, you got everything you wanted so why keep reliving the past? This is everything you voted for, embrace it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:00 PM #55
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:

Why not start with stopping the sale of a certain so-called ‘right-wing’ paper on trains then slowly chip away at anything not approved of by the lefties until one point of view is the only point of view. A lefties dream.
You certainly seem to fear the loss of the Daily Mail. I didn't know right-wingedness was held together by a single tabloid. Interesting.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:08 AM #56
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Don't worry, you've still got the Sun, evening standard, telegraph,express and the times with which to get your tory propaganda fix.

Last edited by Kizzy; 11-01-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:43 AM #57
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I don't think people will, enmasse, boycott Virgin Trains because of a newspaper it no longer sells. You're trying to make out that this is a political thing to do the usual 'evil lefties!' schtick but you're ignoring what is truly important here, they sold ONE copy for every FOUR trains. Think of how many unsold newspapers that is on a daily basis. It's ridiculous to think that any company would continue to sell a product as unprofitable as that.

Richard Branson is a figurehead and I'm not sure what Brexit or his opinion regarding it has to do with anything related to the topic at hand. We're approaching the two year mark since the brexit vote, perhaps it's time you stop being bitter about the past? I don't even really understand why you're so bitter about it all, You got the result you wanted and the Tories are still in power, you got everything you wanted so why keep reliving the past? This is everything you voted for, embrace it.
Says the leftie who would rather see Brexit fail big time just so those that voted for it could ‘regret’ their decision. Such a truly painful case of cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face takes being bitter to a whole new level.

If I’m ‘bitter’ about anything it’s the continued attempts by anti- Brexiteers to reverse a public vote that didn’t go their way - a vote that, as you say, occurred nearly two years’ ago. Nothing bitter there then.

Last edited by Brillopad; 11-01-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:46 AM #58
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Don't worry, you've still got the Sun, evening standard, telegraph,express and the times with which to get your tory propaganda fix.
Oh dear you are seriously pissed off with a lot of papers. Never mind you still have the Guardian for your nightly bedtime read.

Small comfort I know but, like the sorest of losers, the paper can be relied upon at least to keep on trying to overturn that true bastian of democracy the public vote. They will of course change the wording to that of getting a vote on the terms of leaving etc, etc but they are kidding no one but their hardline supporters. .

Last edited by Brillopad; 11-01-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:42 AM #59
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Oh dear you are seriously pissed off with a lot of papers. Never mind you still have the Guardian for your nightly bedtime read.

Small comfort I know but, like the sorest of losers, the paper can be relied upon at least to keep on trying to overturn that true bastian of democracy the public vote. They will of course change the wording to that of getting a vote on the terms of leaving etc, etc but they are kidding no one but their hardline supporters. .
The Guardian is centrist.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:50 AM #60
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
The Guardian is centrist.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:27 AM #61
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

I find it surprising that the Mail would be a bad seller for them given that it sells more than most newspapers in basically every retailer in the country. No way do they sell more Guardians than Mails. Even if it was generally going unsold I assume they have newspapers on a sale or return basis so they wouldn't be making much loss on it
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:30 AM #62
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
You certainly seem to fear the loss of the Daily Mail. I didn't know right-wingedness was held together by a single tabloid. Interesting.
That's your take on this? Interesting.

I don't believe that the Daily Mail is not selling and that's the reason they've removed it.

I hate the Daily Mail. I hate censorship more.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 AM #63
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I find it surprising that the Mail would be a bad seller for them given that it sells more than most newspapers in basically every retailer in the country. No way do they sell more Guardians than Mails. Even if it was generally going unsold I assume they have newspapers on a sale or return basis so they wouldn't be making much loss on it
Egggggzackly.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 AM #64
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
They over-charge for papers and also, to find a newspaper on a train all you have to do is have a look around because there are always loads abandonned.

So I think the answer is probably that Virgin is trying to make some sort of point for publicity / populism and the financial "hit" of not offering them for sale will be totally insignificant (especially given the ridiculous cost of rail tickets these days).

Again though... private enterprise, their decision, not much point whining about it .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:53 AM #65
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They over-charge for papers and also, to find a newspaper on a train all you have to do is have a look around because there are always loads abandonned.

So I think the answer is probably that Virgin is trying to make some sort of point for publicity / populism and the financial "hit" of not offering them for sale will be totally insignificant (especially given the ridiculous cost of rail tickets these days).

Again though... private enterprise, their decision, not much point whining about it .
I doubt there will be a financial hit but as for whining, well it was people whining that got the Mail off sale in the first place so whining does work sometimes.

Imo a decent and conscientious company should provide a level of choice to their customers even if it's not a huge seller
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM #66
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:

Imagine the reaction if it was the Guardian they stopped making available.

And yeah, there are always papers abandoned. Can't remember the last time I actually bought a newspaper.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:26 AM #67
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

Of course virgin trains are entitled to stock what sells and ditch what doesn't. What I found interesting from the article is that its poor sales weren't the focus, it was we are inclusive and have taken advice from our employees, which is complete poo. No company refers to their workers for a business decision like whether to stock a paper or not. Its ludicrous. We haven't had good smarties sales this month, lets poll our employees and ask them what they think. Egg and ham sandwiches are down this month, lets ask the group what they think .... its just silly
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:39 AM #68
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Says the leftie who would rather see Brexit fail big time just so those that voted for it could ‘regret’ their decision. Such a truly painful case of cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face takes being bitter to a whole new level.

If I’m ‘bitter’ about anything it’s the continued attempts by anti- Brexiteers to reverse a public vote that didn’t go their way - a vote that, as you say, occurred nearly two years’ ago. Nothing bitter there then.
It's not 2016 any more. There's no point in living in the past because the present you voted for isn't going the way you want.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM #69
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Of course virgin trains are entitled to stock what sells and ditch what doesn't. What I found interesting from the article is that its poor sales weren't the focus, it was we are inclusive and have taken advice from our employees, which is complete poo. No company refers to their workers for a business decision like whether to stock a paper or not. Its ludicrous. We haven't had good smarties sales this month, lets poll our employees and ask them what they think. Egg and ham sandwiches are down this month, lets ask the group what they think .... its just silly
Exactly.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:02 PM #70
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It's not 2016 any more. There's no point in living in the past because the present you voted for isn't going the way you want.
It will.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:24 PM #71
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Hmmm, the right speak and it's 'free speech', the left?.... Whining :/
Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM #72
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
That's your take on this? Interesting.

I don't believe that the Daily Mail is not selling and that's the reason they've removed it.

I hate the Daily Mail. I hate censorship more.
Again, it's only censorship if they ban the Daily Mail on their trains, they simply don't sell it.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:48 PM #73
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It will.
Then why don't you focus on that instead of the past? You keep bringing up remainers and lefties and to me, it just seems like a distraction from the fact that the things you voted for aren't going the way you want them. If you think things will go your way then why aren't you focused on the future?

Leave won, the Tories are still in charge and you can only say 'Leftie this, remainer that.' You don't have much faith in your choices, do you?
Old 11-01-2018, 01:32 PM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Again, it's only censorship if they ban the Daily Mail on their trains, they simply don't sell it.
Good point.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:22 PM #75

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Who asked the rail service to choose what people read?

Strange censorship.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
daily, halts, mail, sales, trains, virgin