Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

View Poll Results: Well, was Ross a naughty boy?
No it wasn't a real break 4 15.38%
No it wasn't a real break
4 15.38%
Yes, and on a break anything goes 7 26.92%
Yes, and on a break anything goes
7 26.92%
Yes, but he still shouldna done that the PIG 9 34.62%
Yes, but he still shouldna done that the PIG
9 34.62%
Bad... but almost understandable because he believed Rachel was having sexytime with Mark 5 19.23%
Bad... but almost understandable because he believed Rachel was having sexytime with Mark
5 19.23%
Torn between options 3 and 4 1 3.85%
Torn between options 3 and 4
1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2018, 09:08 PM #26
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Lol...so deep.

I'll just say, its not that common, it doesn't happen to everyone and it is a big deal.

#teamrachel

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:10 PM #27
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal. View Post
I just watched an episode where Ross makes it a joke that they were on a break and Rachel and the rest of the gang get up and walk away saying 'That's not funny' so I assume later on it was meant to be represented that Rachel was in the right but Ross being Ross would not let it go.
I take that as more that they've all just agreed to completely bury the issue though. I think in the episode soon after Rachel finds out when they go skiing Ross says that both Monica and Joey either agree with him or at least understand
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:12 PM #28
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
CBBUSA: Omarosa Manigault

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I take that as more that they've all just agreed to completely bury the issue though. I think in the episode soon after Rachel finds out when they go skiing Ross says that both Monica and Joey either agree with him or at least understand
Yeah they’re in a heated argument and Ross goes ‘monica Joey u both said you agree with me’ and they’re both silent but it’s like obvious they do, phoebe too p sure, I don’t think chandler gave his opinion on the incident tho

Last edited by Marches; 07-02-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Marches is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:29 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Lol...so deep.

I'll just say, its not that common, it doesn't happen to everyone and it is a big deal.

#teamrachel

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:25 AM #30
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Well yes BUT... it is pretty clear that he has no intention of "breakcheating" on Rachel until he calls her apartment and hears that Mark is there. She doesn't actually do anything with Mark but he already has his jealousy issues with Mark specifically (and is shown both before and after this to have general issues with jealousy in his relationships) so at this point, you can assume that his imagination has gotten away from him and he is SURE that Rachel is having sex with Mark... and that the relationship is totally over. He then gets drunk and probably thinking, "Well if she's going to do that then I am too"... regretting it as soon as he realises that Rachel DIDN'T do anything with Mark and wants to talk.

Makes it more complicated I think. But then, even writing that now, maybe Ross shouldn't be with anyone at all until he gets his jealousy issues under control ... he was weird and controlling with her, turning up at her work and stuff, and he's pretty weird with Emily too (e.g. when she has to kiss Joey in spin the bottle, and when her Rugby-player ex is there).

But then, can you look into it more deeply? I wonder if the writers made him this way intentionally? It seems like maybe he wasn't like this in his relationship with Carol and he kinda got psychologically ****ed over there. I mean yeah, she figured out she was gay... and she should have talked to him about that and ended their marriage. But instead, she started a serious relationship with someone else behind his back, told him about it when it had been going on for a while, and also he "wasn't allowed" to be angry about it because she was coming out as gay ... like that's an excuse for having a prolonged affair before ending their marriage, or for her new partner being pretty hostile with him from the start.

So are Ross's relationship / control issues almost inevitable? Should all of the "friends" have been encouraging him to seek therapy after Carol before starting another serious relationship?

Hmmmm

...yeah I do think it’s a lot to do with Carol and yeah, he was a bit weird and controlling with Emily as well...I mean he had no control over losing his marriage with Carol, it didn’t really entail having done anything wrong or anything he could have played a part in...?...he was just the wrong gender, so that would really be something so difficult in terms of a future need to ‘control’, maybe..?...also he hadn’t just lost his marriage to Carol, he had also lost Ben in terms of being a part of Ben’s every day life ...and again, something he had, had no control over but at the same time, he had no ‘fault’ to have caused it...he couldn’t feel, oh well it was all my fault, I shouldn’t have cheated, I should have been more considerate and thoughtful or whatever...I mean he was just the wrong gender for their marriage to work..?...so yeah, huge control issues with that as well...and then he thought in his head and his heart that Rachel had betrayed the break...again, out of his control...But then taking a little bit of control back, in the sleeping with someone else on the break..?...hmmmm indeed, TS...very, very hmmmmmm......
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:05 AM #31
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
and then he thought in his head and his heart that Rachel had betrayed the break...again, out of his control...But then taking a little bit of control back, in the sleeping with someone else on the break..?...hmmmm indeed, TS...very, very hmmmmmm......
Yeah - maybe like a "I can't handle this happening this way again", and then a sort of unconscious decision to sabotage it himself instead? Like it would be somehow easier for him to say "I did it" than "It was done to me, again".

But then when he finds out that he got it wrong and it really was just him that did it, he can't handle the guilt / responsibility. He tries desperately to hide that it ever happened, and then despite saying that he's sorry and did a bad thing during their break up episode, as soon as they are actually broken up (and pretty much ever after) he hides behind the "we were on a break" mantra to absolve himself. He knows how he felt with Carol, and he can't handle being "The Carol" of his own relationship .

See now I'm totally wondering if we're looking into it too much, or the Friend's writer really did put all of this deliberate thought into it .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM #32
-

-

I do think it probably is deliberate though... thinking about the other characters, right from season 1 their "psychology" is rooted pretty deep and they go into it early e.g Joey's large all-female family, Chandler's parents divorce, Phoebe's mum's suicide + being homeless, Monica's issues with her parents and their favouritism of Ross (eating issues when she was young turning into OCD as an adult), and Rachel having quite obvious "daddy issues" because her dad is basically outright emotionally abusive from what we see and hear of him... and her mum has been "weak" and easily controlled (and admits herself that she basically married for money).

They go into all of that in a surprising amount of depth actually. So the Ross stuff probably is pretty well thought out too.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 08-02-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:24 PM #33
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marches View Post
She literally said he was on a break then invited mark over
She said "Maybe we should take a break" and then Mark called her and invited himself over
Old 20-02-2018, 09:13 PM #34

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Yes they were on A BREAK , but Rachel was just as childish by seeing another guy . So that obviously led Ross to think it was ok . Ross & Rachel were irritating as they never communicated properly and behaved like horny immature teenagers . I think they were too alike to be compatible .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 20-02-2018 at 09:13 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:00 PM #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marches View Post
Yeah they’re in a heated argument and Ross goes ‘monica Joey u both said you agree with me’ and they’re both silent but it’s like obvious they do, phoebe too p sure, I don’t think chandler gave his opinion on the incident tho
I don't think it's that they agree. More that they understood Ross' understanding of the situation that led to his mistake.

But the silence highlighted they didn't want to take sides.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2018, 10:01 PM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Yes they were on A BREAK , but Rachel was just as childish by seeing another guy . So that obviously led Ross to think it was ok . Ross & Rachel were irritating as they never communicated properly and behaved like horny immature teenagers . I think they were too alike to be compatible .
Rachel wasn't "seeing" anyone.
Old 20-02-2018, 10:18 PM #37
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
She was gna lick Mark's gooch AND YOU KNOW IT.
Old 21-02-2018, 12:00 AM #38

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
She was seeing Mark wasn't she ?? I know nothing happened .
Also I found it annoying how every time Ross was in a relationship Rachel would get jealous and vice versa .
Old 21-02-2018, 01:11 AM #39
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Also I found it annoying how every time Ross was in a relationship Rachel would get jealous and vice versa .
Mark literally came around because Rachel was upset, even though she told him not to, he didn't even make a move and actually helped her realise she didn't want a break. Ross heard him on the phone and assumed the worst of Rachel right away, which doesn't really paint a good picture of him.
Old 21-02-2018, 01:16 AM #40

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton

Quote:
They had the opportunity to but they didn't and rachel and Ross almost got together (I Think?) Before Rachel found out about what Ross had done and this was the next day

Unless you mean Ross calling her put her off licking his hooch, then I don't know, but she certainly wasn't interested in him
Ant. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:35 AM #41
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
I do think it probably is deliberate though... thinking about the other characters, right from season 1 their "psychology" is rooted pretty deep and they go into it early e.g Joey's large all-female family, Chandler's parents divorce, Phoebe's mum's suicide + being homeless, Monica's issues with her parents and their favouritism of Ross (eating issues when she was young turning into OCD as an adult), and Rachel having quite obvious "daddy issues" because her dad is basically outright emotionally abusive from what we see and hear of him... and her mum has been "weak" and easily controlled (and admits herself that she basically married for money).

They go into all of that in a surprising amount of depth actually. So the Ross stuff probably is pretty well thought out too.
..yeah I do think it’s very well thought out TS.../..the depth of the characters before we’re even introduced to them in the first episode...I think that’s largely the ‘key’ with very successful comedy series like this because the depth etc is what creates the ‘bittersweet’..those laughter moments and those crying moments that Friends brought to us and all of the awwww moments....and actually this thread....and were they on a break etc and whose side should we take...?..thats all because of the depth of the characters and how much we’ve come to care about them to want to discuss the storylines and situations etc...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 01:46 PM #42

Quote:
She was never seeing Mark.
Old 21-02-2018, 01:47 PM #43

Quote:
Oh
Old 21-02-2018, 02:02 PM #44

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Mark reminds me of Ted Bundy
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic